[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 4-3-15

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:50:55 PDT 2015

*Weekly Science Report*

*April 3, 2015*

*“In the history of the world there have been thousands of kings and
emperors who called themselves 'their highnesses,' 'their majesties,' and
'their exalted majesties' and so on. They shone for a brief moment, and as
quickly disappeared. But Ashoka shines and shines brightly like a bright
star, even unto this day.”*

H.G. Wells on Ashoka the Great

 Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow man.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

 News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Elaborate 'Red Lady' Grave Yields Secrets Of Ice-Age Culture

http://www.livescience.com/50274-red-lady-burial-site.html

Famed Human Ancestor Lucy Wasn't Alone: Meet 'Little Foot'

http://news.yahoo.com/famed-human-ancestor-lucy-wasnt-alone-meet-little-171051954.html

National Park Service sends top fossil expert to launch new monument

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/las-vegas/national-park-service-sends-top-fossil-expert-launch-new-monument

Discovery of 9,000-year-old cultic sites changes our understanding of the
evolution of worship

http://www.haaretz.com/life/archaeology/.premium-1.650028?utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social

 *History*

Unusual climate gave Polynesian explorers a boost

http://news.sciencemag.org/archaeology/2014/09/unusual-climate-gave-polynesian-explorers-boost

New research sets Anne Frank's death earlier

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/03/31/anne-frank-death-probably-february-1945/70742898/

'Unrepentant Nazi Murderer' dies a free man at 93

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/03/31/nazi-soren-kam-denmark-dies/70718554/

Research findings back up Aboriginal legend on origin of Central Australian
palm trees

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-03/aboriginal-legend-palm-tree-origin-central-australia-research/6369832

Greek Jews remember transport to Nazi death camps

http://www.pulse.me/ap/ce6ffee03c1e469e9ead05088facd3df?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Muslim family carves chair for Pope Francis' Bosnia visit

http://www.pulse.me/ap/0baff2fe61284dad9adeb7f1b4076045?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Ultra-traditional Catholics rebel against pope in Brazil: ‘He is less
Catholic than us’

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/01/brazil-breakaway-catholics-rebel-against-pope-santa-cruz-monastery?CMP=fb_gu

This Country Is About to Offer Citizenship to 2.2 Million Jews

http://time.com/3763381/spain-sephardic-jews-citizenship/

After Nazi Plunder, A Quest To Bring the 'Woman In Gold' Home

http://www.npr.org/2015/04/02/396688350/after-nazi-plunder-a-quest-to-bring-the-woman-in-gold-home?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150402

 *Archaeology*

Gold Looted From Ancient Empire Returned to Romania

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150320-romanian-dacian-sarmizegetusa-gold-looted-recovered/

Massive Underground City Found in Cappadocia Region of Turkey

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150325-underground-city-cappadocia-turkey-archaeology/

Rare Mycenaean Tomb Discovered

http://www.newhistorian.com/rare-mycenaean-tomb-discovered/2923/

Relic in Ancient Basilica May Hold Apostle's Ashes

http://www.newser.com/story/204637/relic-in-ancient-basilica-may-hold-apostles-ashes.html

China's 'Stonehenge' found in the Gobi Desert: Mysterious rock formations
may have been 'sacrificial sites' used by sun worshippers
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3014736/China-s-Stonehenge-Gobi-Desert-Mysterious-rock-formations-used-worship-sun.html

Mysterious cave in Yellowstone at center of legal dispute

http://lastbestnews.com/site/2015/04/mysterious-cave-in-yellowstone-at-center-of-legal-dispute/

 *Egyptology*

Egypt's 4,600-year-old pyramid of Zoser

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/2015/mar/23/egypt-pyramid-zoser-history-cities-50-buildings

Shocking Discovery: Egypt's 'Mona Lisa' May Be a Fake

http://news.yahoo.com/shocking-discovery-egypts-mona-lisa-may-fake-191159328.html

 *General Science*

Four Visions of the Future from DARPA’s Latest Report Card

http://www.popsci.com/four-visions-future-darpas-latest-report-card?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Boeing Just Patented a Force Field Made Of Lasers

http://www.popsci.com/boeing-just-patented-force-field-lasers?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Quantum computers could greatly accelerate machine learning

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-quantum-greatly-machine.html

Facebook’s Laser Drones Could Bring Internet To 5 Billion People

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/03/26/facebook-drones-lasers-internet/#.VRVwlqMF8Nc.twitter

Powerful 3D-printed rifle fires NATO rounds

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/03/30/powerful-3d-printed-rifle-fires-nato-rounds/?cmpid=app_pulse&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Navy’s Long-Range Drone Will Patrol The Oceans Of The Future

http://www.popsci.com/navys-long-awaited-drone-moves-closer-reality?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Scientists create quick-charging hybrid supercapacitors

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-scientists-quick-charging-hybrid-supercapacitors.html

 *Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Undersea Cable Network Operates in a State of Alarm

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/undersea-cable-network-operates-in-a-state-of-alarm-excerpt/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

Alien Spaceships Traveling At Near Light Speeds Will Still Be Visible

http://www.popsci.com/if-there-are-aliens-well-see-them-coming?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Cyborg Germ Could Help Detect Leaks In Space Station

http://www.popsci.com/robotic-germ-reads-humidity-levels-it-grows-and-shrinks?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

7 Interstellar questions explained by Jonah Nolan and Kip Thorne at NASA's
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-31/7-interstellar-questions-explained-jonah-nolan-and-kip-thorne-nasas-jet-propulsion

Black holes don't erase information, scientists say

http://phys.org/news/2015-04-black-holes-dont-erase-scientists.html

Russians and NASA Discuss Building a New Space Station

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/russians-talk-about-next-space-station-nasa-n331896

Fishing in space: Nets could snag space junk

http://www.cnet.com/news/fishing-in-space-nets-might-work-for-snagging-space-junk/#ftag=CADbac3506?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Jupiter May Have Killed Solar System's Baby Super-Earths

http://news.discovery.com/space/jupiter-cleared-out-neighborhood-for-earth-150323.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

UK Space Agency Boosts Cubesat Space Internet Plan

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/uk-space-agency-gives-cubesat-space-internet-plan-boost-n323281

Scientists discover elusive secret of how continents formed

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-scientists-elusive-secret-continents.html

Twin fools NASA at brother's launch on 1-year flight

http://news.yahoo.com/twin-fools-nasa-brothers-launch-1-flight-193741902.html

NASA Assures Skeptical Congress That the James Webb Telescope Is on Track

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/nasa-assures-skeptical-congress-that-the-james-webb-telescope-is-on-track/

Alien FAQ: 6 questions about strange cosmic radio bursts

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27287-alien-faq-6-questions-about-strange-cosmic-radio-bursts.html?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%257CNSNS%257C2015-GLOBAL-hoot#.VR1hbGdOUdU

NASA Announces New Partnerships with U.S. Industry for Key Deep-Space
Capabilities

http://www.nasa.gov/press/2015/march/nasa-announces-new-partnerships-with-us-industry-for-key-deep-space-capabilities/#.VRmx_o1dXE8

Judge rules Navy underestimated threat to marine mammals from sonar

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-judge-marine-mammals-20150401-story.html

 *Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

How Good Old American Marketing Saved the National Parks

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/03/150324-national-park-service-history-yellowstone-california-united-states/

IKEA Fuels Up With Bloom Energy

http://www.forbes.com/sites/heatherclancy/2015/03/26/ikea-fuels-up-with-bloom-energy/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

At F8, Facebook gives peek at Aquila solar-powered Internet drones

http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2015/0327/At-F8-Facebook-gives-peek-at-Aquila-solar-powered-Internet-drones-video?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Soon A Texas Town Will Run On 100 Percent Renewable Energy

http://www.popsci.com/soon-texas-town-will-run-100-percent-renewable-energy?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

SolarCity launches community microgrids with Tesla batteries

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-solarcity-microgrids-tesla-batteries.html

Harmful Blooms of Algae Could Be Turned Into Biofuel

http://www.popsci.com/harmful-algal-blooms-could-be-great-resource-biofuels-and-fertilizer?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Our Line of Defense Against Sea Level Rise Is Melting Fast

http://www.popsci.com/some-antarcticas-ice-shelves-could-disappear-next-century?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

There are basically two big forests left, say scientists

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/2015/0323/There-are-basically-two-big-forests-left-say-scientists?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Texas Town Going All in on Solar and Wind

http://news.discovery.com/earth/global-warming/texas-town-going-all-in-on-solar-and-wind-150330.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Climate Change Could Harm Marine Life for Millennia

http://news.discovery.com/earth/global-warming/climate-change-could-harm-marine-life-for-millennia-150330.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

 *Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Google is building a robotic surgery platform with Johnson & Johnson

*http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/27/8299529/robot-surgery-google-johnson-johnson-ethicon-platform
<http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/27/8299529/robot-surgery-google-johnson-johnson-ethicon-platform>*

Porpoises, whales and dolphins use 'sound searchlights'

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32043822#?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Atlanta teen who received controversial heart transplant dies in chase with
police

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/04/01/atlanta-teen-who-received-controversial-heart-transplant-dies-in-chase-with-police/?tid=sm_fb

 *Other*

Your poop could be a literal goldmine of precious metals

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/03/23/your-poop-could-be-a-literal-goldmine-of-precious-metals/?tid=sm_fb

Will Ethiopia's teff be the next 'super grain'?

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32128441

 Additional Informational

The Lothal Revisitation Project. A Fine Thread Connecting Ancient India to
Contemporary Raveena

http://a.harappa.com/content/lothal-revisitation-project-fine-thread-connecting-ancient-india-contemporary-raveena

UNESCO Unite4Heritage Initiative

http://www.unite4heritage.org/index.php

Take a Look at Russia’s New Armata Tank Infographic

http://www.popsci.com/look-russias-new-tank-infographic?dom=fb&src=SOC