[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 6-5-15

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:08:15 PDT 2015

*Weekly Science Report*

*June 5, 2015*

*“Finding the occasional straw of truth awash in a great ocean of confusion
and bamboozle requires vigilance, dedication and courage.  But if we don’t
practice these tough habits of thought, we cannot hope to solve the truly
serious problems that face us-and we risk becoming a nation of suckers, a
world of suckers, up for grabs by the next charlatan who saunters along.”*

Carl Sagan

 Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow man.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

 News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

New evidence emerges on the origins of life

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-evidence-emerges-life.html

Researchers Unveil Reconstructed Face of Ancient American Indian

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/01/14/researchers-unveil-reconstructed-face-ancient-american-indian-158693

Written Communication May Be 40,000 Years Old

http://www.newhistorian.com/written-communication-may-be-40000-years-old/3851/

Ethiopian fossils represent new member of human family tree

http://news.yahoo.com/ethiopian-fossils-represent-member-human-family-tree-173513928.html

Comparison of bonobo anatomy to humans offers evolutionary clues

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-comparison-bonobo-anatomy-humans-evolutionary.html

 *History*

The Very Strange Life Of Nepal's Child Goddess

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/05/28/410074105/the-very-strange-life-of-nepals-child-goddess?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150528

Watchdog says ex-Nazis got $20.2 million in Social Security

http://news.yahoo.com/watchdog-says-ex-nazis-got-20-2-million-021655170--politics.html

Pink Triangles and Prison Sentences: Nazi Persecution of Homosexuals

http://www.newsweek.com/pink-triangles-prison-sentences-nazi-persecution-homosexuals-337840

Medicine’s Hidden Roots in an Ancient Manuscript

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/02/science/medicines-hidden-roots-in-an-ancient-manuscript.html?smid=fb-share

11 Things You Should Know About Mohawks

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/12/11/11-things-you-should-know-about-mohawks-158225

Fight on to preserve Elfdalian, Sweden’s lost forest language

http://theconversation.com/fight-on-to-preserve-elfdalian-swedens-lost-forest-language-41642

Museum Director at Hermitage Hopes for Thaw in Relations With West

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/14/arts/museum-director-at-hermitage-hopes-for-thaw-in-relations-with-west.html?_r=1

Mystery of missing Kansas man solved after 23 years

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/mystery-of-missing-kansas-man-solved-after-23-years/

Who was the Man in the Iron Mask?

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/who-was-the-man-in-the-iron-mask?cmpid=Social_FBPAGE_HISTORY_20150528_185306286&linkId=14519295

Fed Up With Islam and Sectarianism, Some Iraqis Embrace Zoroastrianism

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/31/fed-up-with-islam-and-sectarianism-some-iraqis-embrace-zoroastrianism.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

Is This the Uninhabited Pacific Island Where Amelia Earhart Spent Her Last
Moments?

http://time.com/3904595/amelia-earhart-flight-history-disappearance-cruise-pacific-ocean/

Harlem Hellfighter and Jewish Soldier Get Long-Overdue Medals of Honor

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/06/02/411270886/harlem-hellfighter-and-jewish-soldier-get-long-overdue-medals-of-honor?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150602

After years of forensic investigation, Somerton Man's identity remains a
mystery (Part 1: History and Code)
http://phys.org/news/2015-06-years-forensic-somerton-identity-mystery.html

The man who was caged in a zoo

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/03/the-man-who-was-caged-in-a-zoo?CMP=fb_gu

Calls to open looted-art archives grow louder

http://theartnewspaper.com/comment/comment/156474/

Vatican's accord or not, Bosnian town believes in its 'miracle'

http://news.yahoo.com/vaticans-accord-not-bosnian-town-believes-miracle-072008929.html

 *Archaeology*

Lost Cities of the Amazon Revealed

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3077413/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/lost-cities-amazon-revealed/#.VXL4tcLD_IW

China makes mass arrests over stolen artefacts

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-32894903

French tests on 359-year-old body

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32991324?ocid=socialflow_facebook

International Council of Museums draws up 'red list' to help spot stolen
Iraqi antiquities

http://artdaily.com/news/78997/International-Council-of-Museums-draws-up--red-list--to-help-spot-stolen-Iraqi-antiquities#.VXMEZ8LD_IX

Archeologists find gold artifacts in Scythian grave mounds

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-archeologists-gold-artifacts-scythian-grave.html

See These Amazing Images of Easter Island Statues With Bodies

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/easter-island-head-bodies-293799

Is it time to rethink our ideas about preserving world heritage?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/545458d4-fae9-11e4-9aed-00144feab7de.html#axzz3bABWpLEC

Palmyra: Islamic State locks down ancient city's museum

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-32859347

Machu Picchu site to be expanded, Peru says, 5 more Inca trails to open

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2015/05/22/machu-picchu-site-to-be-expanded-peru-says-5-more-inca-trails-to-be-opened/

Archaeologists thrilled by lucky discovery of 2,000-year-old Roman god
figurine in Yorkshire

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/archaeology/art527888

Wreck of slave ship: Why the São José fascinates

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/USA-Update/2015/0601/Wreck-of-slave-ship-Why-the-Sao-Jose-fascinates?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Paris auction of Hopi artifacts decried in US stirs protest

http://www.pulse.me/ap/63b272d72b8a491aa85ad72bf1187c00?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

 *Egyptology*

Egypt sues Israel to restore 126 smuggled artifacts

http://www.thecairopost.com/news/152347/topnews/egypt-sues-israel-to-restore-126-smuggled-artifacts

 *General Science*

Google and Levi's Are Weaving Computers Into Your Clothes

*http://www.popsci.com/googles-levi%27s-computers-clothing-project-jacquard?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
<http://www.popsci.com/googles-levi%27s-computers-clothing-project-jacquard?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews>*

Watch This Flying Tank Drone Conquer Mud, Rubble, And A Children’s
Playground

http://www.popsci.com/look-flying-toy-tank-drone?dom=fb&src=SOC

 *Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

5 Mars Mission Radiation Shield Ideas Win NASA Challenge

http://news.yahoo.com/5-mars-mission-radiation-shield-ideas-win-nasa-112310679.html

Planetary Society Regains Communication With LightSail Spacecraft

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/05/31/410960857/planetary-society-regains-communication-with-lightsail-spacecraft?sc=tw

Unusual interactions between Pluto's moons

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-unusual-interactions-pluto-moons.html

Poor weather delays NASA's flying saucer test over Hawaii

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/02/us/nasa-flying-saucer-test/index.html?sr=fb060215flyingsaucer1230pStoryLink

Blue Pools on Red Planet? Mars Express Orbiter Captures Epic Photo

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/blue-pools-mars-not-quite-n367796?cid=par-pulse-topstories_20150601&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Spacecraft built from graphene could run on nothing but sunlight

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630235.400-spacecraft-built-from-graphene-could-run-on-nothing-but-sunlight.html?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%257CNSNS%257C2015-GLOBAL-hoot#.VWcUEmdOUdV

Researchers synthesize magnetic nanoparticles that could offer alternative
to rare Earth magnets

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-magnetic-nanoparticles-alternative-rare-earth.html

U.S. Air Force Kicks Off Contest to Replace Russian Rocket Engines

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/u-s-air-force-kicks-contest-replace-russian-rocket-engines-n368726?cid=sm_fb

Hubble Witness to Relativistic Crash in a Black Hole Jet

http://news.discovery.com/space/galaxies/hubble-witness-to-relativistic-crash-in-a-black-hole-jet-150601.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

 *Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Tallest redwood in Muir Woods is 777 years old, half its believed age

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-tallest-tree-muir-woods-20150601-story.html

Has the Holy Grail of clean energy been found?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/holy-grail-clean-energy-found-085604151.html

Ban Ki-moon urges governments to invest in low carbon energy

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/02/ban-ki-moon-urges-governments-invest-low-carbon-energy

 *Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Planarian regeneration model discovered by artificial intelligence

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-planarian-regeneration-artificial-intelligence.html

Watch These Star-Shaped Micro-Robots Perform Mini Biopsies

http://www.popsci.com/watch-these-star-shaped-micro-robots-do-mini-biopsies?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Fetal cells injected into a man's brain to cure his Parkinson's

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27593-fetal-cells-injected-into-a-mans-brain-to-cure-his-parkinsons.html?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%257CNSNS%257C2015-GLOBAL-hoot#.VWXgC2dOUdU

Texas Puts Brakes On Telemedicine — And Teladoc Cries Foul

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/06/02/408513139/texas-put-brakes-on-telemedicine-and-teladoc-cries-foul?sc=tw

 *Other*

At World's Fair In Italy, The Future Of Food Is On The Table

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/05/31/410074678/at-worlds-fair-in-italy-the-future-of-food-is-on-the-table?sc=tw

 Additional Informational

What You Never Knew About Harriet Tubman- Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ85z9vggYM&feature=youtu.be&t=1m16s&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=posts&utm_content=facebook_1433263826

Magicians of the Gods: The Forgotten Wisdom of Earth's Lost Civilization

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1250045924/theofficialgraha

The Lady of the Spiked Throne

http://a.harappa.com/content/lady-spiked-throne