[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 6-26-15

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 12:08:10 PDT 2015

*Weekly Science Report*

*June 26, 2015*

*“Before you speak to me about your religion, first show it to me in how
you treat other people; Before you tell me how much you love God, show me
how much you love all his children; Before you preach to me of your passion
for your faith, teach me about it through your compassion for your
neighbors.  In the end, I’m not as interested in what you have to tell or
sell as in how you choose to live and give.”*

Cory Booker

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

 News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

5 Amazing Extinct Creatures That Aren’t Dinosaurs
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/06/18/5-amazing-extinct-creatures-dinosaurs/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/06/18/5-amazing-extinct-creatures-dinosaurs/#.VYSIJefmqlo

Vast Database of African Rock Art Goes Online

http://www.archaeology.org/news/3441-database-rock-art-africa-online

The Real Landscapes of the Great Flood Myths

http://nautil.us/issue/25/water/the-real-landscapes-of-the-great-flood-myths

9 Percent Neanderthal: Ancient Romanian's DNA Reveals Interbreeding

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/9-percent-neanderthal-ancient-romanians-dna-reveals-interbreeding-n379746?cid=sm_fb

World’s most inaccessible art found in the heart of the Colombian jungle

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/20/colombia-wilderness-film-maker-prehistoric-rock-art

Half-Shelled Prehistoric Reptile Was Early Ancestor of Turtles
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/06/24/reptile-ancestor-turtles/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2015/06/24/reptile-ancestor-turtles/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Could These Be the Oldest Human Footprints in North America?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-these-be-the-oldest-human-footprints-in-north-america/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

Early Humans Became More Feminine, Which Led to the Birth of Culture
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/06/22/early-humans-feminine-culture/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2015/06/22/early-humans-feminine-culture/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Four hundred million year old fish fossil has earliest example of teeth

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-million-year-fish-fossil-earliest.html

Scientists Say 8,500-Year-Old Kennewick Man Still Has Much to Teach Them

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/scientists-say-8-500-year-old-kennewick-man-still-has-n378926?cid=par-pulse-topstories_20150620&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

6000 year-old impression from the past

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/06/2015/6000-year-old-impression-from-the-past

 *History*

Children of segregationists want to be on ‘right side of history’

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/children-of-segregationists-want-to-be-on-right-122348303806.html

Bosnian Serb leader: Srebrenica was 20th century's 'greatest deception'

http://news.yahoo.com/switzerland-says-approves-extradition-naser-oric-bosnia-131934686.html

U.S. Troops Tested By Race In Secret World War II Chemical Experiments

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/22/415194765/u-s-troops-tested-by-race-in-secret-world-war-ii-chemical-experiments?sc=17&f=1001

How NPR Located More Veterans Exposed To Mustard Gas Than The VA

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/26/417513593/how-npr-located-more-veterans-exposed-to-mustard-gas-than-the-va?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150626

How did Harappans measure value?

http://a.harappa.com/content/how-did-harappans-measure-value

After Tambora

http://www.economist.com/news/briefing/21647958-two-hundred-years-ago-most-powerful-eruption-modern-history-made-itself-felt-around?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/vi/st/tamboraagain

The parrot talks: complex pueblo society older than previously thought

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-06/uov-tpt062215.php

Pope Francis: "Great powers" did nothing to prevent Holocaust

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/pope-francis-great-powers-did-nothing-to-prevent-holocaust/

Sahara threatening Tunisians' way of life

http://www.aljazeera.com/blogs/africa/2015/06/sahara-threatening-tunisians-life-150617204234455.html

Five myths about why the South seceded

http://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/five-myths-about-why-the-south-seceded/2011/01/03/ABHr6jD_story.html?tid=sm_fb

Pope: Forgive Catholic persecution of evangelical Christians

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-visits-once-persecuted-evangelicals-during-turin-visit-071222328.html

Paintings by Hitler sold at German auction for $450,000

http://news.yahoo.com/paintings-hitler-sold-german-auction-450-000-155929230.html

Immortalized As 'The Woman In Gold,' How A Young Jew Became A Secular Icon

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/23/416518188/immortalized-as-the-woman-in-gold-how-a-young-jew-became-a-secular-icon

Auschwitz museum theft: Teen boys sentenced

http://www.cnn.com//2015/06/24/europe/auschwitz-theft-students/index.html
<http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/24/europe/auschwitz-theft-students/index.html>

Attorney driven to solve 1940 slaying of NAACP activist

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/06/22/attorney-driven-to-solve-140-slaying-naacp-activist-it-was-just-like-was/?cmpid=app_pulse&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

 *Archaeology*

‘Commando’ archaeologists to rescue threatened artefacts in Middle East

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/commando-archaeologists-to-rescue-threatened-artefacts-in-middle-east/story-fnjwl1aw-1227408033903

Afghanistan's Buddhas Rise Again

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2015/06/3d-buddhas-afghanistan/395576/

Rare sculptures discovered at Hampi

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/rare-sculptures-discovered-at-hampi/article7337177.ece

20 Stunning Views Along the Great Inka Road

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/06/23/20-stunning-views-along-great-inka-road-160827

Man Discovers Mysterious, 'Large' Face on Canada Cliffside After 2-Year

https://gma.yahoo.com/man-discovers-mysterious-large-face-canada-cliffside-2-172236963--abc-news-travel.html

Syria needs a museum in exile ... and quickly

http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/comment/syria-needs-a-museum-in-exile--and-quickly

World Heritage Committee to meet in Bonn 28 June to 8 July

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/media-services/single-view/news/world_heritage_committee_to_meet_in_bonn_28_june_to_8_july/#.VZAw0sLD_IV

Athenian Wealth: Millions of Silver Coins Stored in Parthenon Attic

http://www.livescience.com/51353-silver-coins-stored-in-parthenon-attic.html

WW I-Era Trenches Discovered in Australia

http://www.archaeology.org/news/3436-ww-i-era-trenches-discovered-in-australia

Marble Dolphin Sculpture Unearthed in Israel

http://www.archaeology.org/news/3435-israel-marble-dolphin-statuette-unearthed

Archaeologists Search for Monticello's Stone Stable

http://www.nbc29.com/story/29390228/archaeologists-search-for-monticellos-stone-stables

Well-preserved ancient Roman ship found in waters off Sardinia coast

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11693734/Well-preserved-ancient-Roman-ship-found-in-waters-off-Sardinia-coast.html

Discovery of metal vessels "will change the story about Chachapoyas"

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-discovery-of-metal-vessels-will-change-the-history-of-chachapoyas-106778

Gold Sun Disc from time of Stonehenge revealed to the public

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/summer-2015/article/gold-sun-disc-from-time-of-stonehenge-revealed-to-the-public

Hunting lost cities from space

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120717-hunting-lost-cities-from-space

Mummies from around the world tell stories at Orlando Science Center

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-dewayne-bevil-science-center-mummies-20150618-column.html

Rebels, Syrian government work together to protect antiquities

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/06/22/syria-archaeology/28977009/

Ancient Greek 'Antikythera' Shipwreck Still Holds Secrets

http://news.yahoo.com/ancient-greek-antikythera-shipwreck-still-holds-secrets-142747898.html

Islamic State militants destroy two tombs in ancient city of Palmyra

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2015/06/24/Islamic-State-militants-destroy-two-tombs-in-ancient-city-of-Palmyra/7921435173498/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Buckingham Palace needs repairs; queen may have to leave

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/06/24/royal-officials-say-queen-may-move-out-buckingham-palace-during-major-repair/?cmpid=app_pulse&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Well-preserved ancient Roman ship found in waters off Sardinia coast

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/11693734/Well-preserved-ancient-Roman-ship-found-in-waters-off-Sardinia-coast.html

Japan's secret underground navy headquarters gives glimpse of WWII's final
days

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/06/24/japan-secret-underground-navy-headquarters-gives-glimpse-wwii-final-days/?cmpid=app_pulse&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

3.5 - 2 thousand years old gold objects found near Jasło

http://scienceinpoland.pap.pl/en/news/news,405517,35---2-thousand-years-old-gold-objects-found-near-jaslo.html

New Stonehenge sunset alignment theory 'shown to be correct'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-33205212#?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Staffordshire Hoard mystery centre stage at theatre festival

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33109263#?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

The Reason Cervantes Asked To Be Buried Under A Convent

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/06/24/417117826/the-reason-cervantes-asked-to-be-buried-under-a-convent?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150624

Archaeologists find Bronze Age food at prehistoric settlement "comparable
to the Mary Rose"

http://www.culture24.org.uk/history-and-heritage/archaeology/art530383-archaeologists-find-bronze-age-food-at-prehistoric-settlement-comparable-to-the-mary-rose

 *Egyptology*

8 Million Dog Mummies Found in 'God of Death' Mass Grave

http://www.livescience.com/51232-millions-of-dog-mummies-found.html

Unique stolen ancient Egyptian statue to return from Germany soon

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/40/132755/Heritage/Ancient-Egypt/Unique-stolen-ancient-Egyptian-statue-to-return-fr.aspx

 *General Science*

Seal Beach uses drone to track young great white sharks

http://www.latimes.com/local/orangecounty/la-me-drone-shark-20150620-story.html

What Will Future Airplanes Look Like? NASA Has 6 'Wild' Ideas

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/what-will-airplanes-look-future-6-ideas-nasa-n379806?cid=sm_fb

U.S. Military Wants To Blow Up Landmines With Lasers

http://www.popsci.com/laser-air-force-army-truck-will-destroy-landmines?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

German Lasers Hit Moving Drone

http://www.popsci.com/german-lasers-hit-moving-drone?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

 *Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

NASA simulation suggests black holes may make ideal dark matter labs

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-nasa-simulation-black-holes-ideal.html

Crater Shows Mars Probably Had Water 500,000 Years Ago

http://www.popsci.com/crater-landslides-show-mars-probably-had-water-500000-years-ago?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Is the universe ringing like a crystal glass?

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-universe-crystal-glass.html

NASA honors fallen astronauts, lost shuttles

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-shuttle-memorial-challenger-columbia/

SpaceX Unmanned Aircraft Explodes Shortly After Takeoff

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/06/28/video-spacex-unmanned-aircraft-explodes-shortly-after-takeoff

Stellar Rejuvenation: Some Exoplanets May Get Facelifts

http://news.discovery.com/space/alien-life-exoplanets/stellar-rejuvenation-some-exoplanets-may-get-face-lifts-150625.htm

Floating robots primed for release to capture elusive ocean data

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jun/26/floating-robots-primed-for-release-to-capture-elusive-ocean-data

Saturn's 2-billion-year age gap problem solved

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Saturns-2-billion-year-age-gap-problem-solved/articleshow/47842941.cms

Meteor showers bring dust clouds on the moon

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-moon-dust-clouds-20150617-story.html

What Is NASA Doing With This Second-Hand Armored Car?

http://www.popsci.com/check-out-nasas-second-hand-armored-car?dom=fb&src=SOC

New NASA App Shares Excitement for Deep Space Missions

http://www.nasa.gov/content/new-nasa-app-shares-excitement-for-deep-space-missions

Interstellar's true black hole too confusing

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn26966-interstellars-true-black-hole-too-confusing.html?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%257CNSNS%257C2015-GLOBAL-hoot#.VYlL1WdOUdW

Interstellar 'should be shown in school lessons'

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33173197?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Ceres Shows Off a 'Pyramid' Mountain and Those Puzzling White Spots

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/ceres-shows-pyramid-mountain-those-puzzling-white-spots-n379931?cid=sm_fc

Astronomers Discover the Most Jupiter-Like Exoplanet Ever Seen

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/exclusive-astronomers-discover-the-most-jupiter-like-exoplanet-ever-seen/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

Book Review: Human Migration to Space

http://www.universetoday.com/120942/book-review-human-migration-to-space/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Building a Starship Would Begin in Earth Orbit

http://news.discovery.com/space/private-spaceflight/building-a-starship-would-begin-in-earth-orbit-150622.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Meteorite Thefts Pose a Problem in Ancient Impact Field

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/meteorite-thefts-pose-a-problem-in-ancient-impact-field/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

There Might Be Active Volcanos On Venus

http://www.popsci.com/there-might-be-active-volcanos-venus?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Comet Lander Philae Contacts Earth Again After Risky Maneuver

http://www.popsci.com/comet-lander-communications-improve?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Under-Ice Rover chills with fish at Aquatic Exhibit

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4640

 *Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Israel Bets On Recycled Water To Meet Its Growing Thirst

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2015/06/21/415795367/israel-bets-on-recycled-water-to-meet-its-growing-thirst?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150621

Madagascar's lemurs cling to survival

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33096260

First Lions to Return to Rwanda After Two Decades

http://news.discovery.com/animals/endangered-species/first-lions-to-return-to-rwanda-after-two-decades-150627.htm

Researchers designing nuclear power plant that will float eight or more
miles out to sea

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-nuclear-power-miles-sea.html

New manufacturing approach slices lithium-ion battery cost in half

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-approach-slices-lithium-ion-battery.html

Flaming river redux: Fire erupts from polluted froth on India lake

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-fire-springs-forth-on-india-lake-20150619-story.html#page=1

Powering desalination with the sun

http://phys.org/news/2015-06-powering-desalination-sun.html

2035: Clean Energy Will Trump Fossil Fuels

http://news.discovery.com/tech/alternative-power-sources/2035-clean-energy-will-trump-fossil-fuels-150622.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Tiny Team Uses Satellites to Bust Illegal Fishing Worldwide

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/06/150615-skytruth-pirate-fishing-illegal-big-data-ocean-conservation/

 *Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Coral Reef That Ejects Guts Could Help Humans Regenerate Organs

http://www.popsci.com/coral-reefs-could-help-humans-regenerate-lost-limbs?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

UK GM wheat 'does not repel pests'

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33262885

New questions about why more women than men have Alzheimer's

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-06-women-men-alzheimer.html

Real-Life 'Jurassic World' Dinos May Be 10 Years Off

http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosaurs/real-life-jurassic-world-dinos-may-be-10-years-off-15061.htm?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=DNewsSocial

FDA Approves Device That Lets Blind 'See' With Tongue

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/innovation/fda-approves-device-lets-blind-see-tongue-n378566?cid=sm_fb

Corkscrew Nanobots Drill Though Blocked Arteries

http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechnology/corkscrew-nanobots-drill-though-blocked-arteries-150624.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Genetically Modified Salmon: Coming To A River Near You?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/06/24/413755699/genetically-modified-salmon-coming-to-a-river-near-you?sc=tw

Biotech’s Coming Cancer Cure

http://www.technologyreview.com/featuredstory/538441/biotechs-coming-cancer-cure/

Injectable Implants Could Help Crack the Brain’s Codes

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/538606/injectable-implants-could-help-crack-the-brains-codes/

 *Other*

Bible-Based All-Wood Ark Takes Shape in Kentucky Field

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/bible-based-all-wood-ark-takes-shape-kentucky-field-n382146?cid=sm_fb

AI: will the machines ever rise up?

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/jun/26/ai-will-the-machines-ever-rise-up

Our deep need for monsters that lurk in the dark

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33226376

Senator David Leyonhjelm questions if Aboriginals were first occupants of
Australia; says it would be 'bizarre' to put into constitution

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-06-25/david-leyonhjelm-raises-doubts-over-aboriginal-occupants/6572704

Amazon Echo Is The First Artificial Intelligence You’ll Want At Home

http://www.popsci.com/amazon-echo-first-artificial-intelligence-youll-want-home?dom=fb&src=SOC

 Additional Informational

Graham Hancock Gets Controversial Podcast

http://www.thehumanxp.com/grahamhancock-gets-controversial/

Perfect Storms
<http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/perfect-storms/1003407>: Dark Age
Volcano
<http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/shows/perfect-storms/dark-age-volcano/1003407/3409139>-
Video

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/perfect-storms-dark-age-volcano/34030?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=posts&utm_content=facebook_1434488328

Talks to restore your faith in humanity

http://www.ted.com/playlists/216/talks_to_restore_your_faith_in_1

5 things to know about Nathan Bedford Forrest

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/2015/06/24/5-things-to-know-about-nathan-bedford-forrest/29217861/?hootPostID=%5B%272ee9a7f57467d5b7cd3c83606bd36e53%27%5D

*Smithsonian Channel, Excavating a Secret Gas Chamber- Video*

http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/videos/excavating-a-secret-gas-chamber/29312

Heritage of Religious Interest: UNESCO Initiative on Heritage of Religious
Interest

http://whc.unesco.org/en/religious-sacred-heritage/