[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 5-15-15

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 18:44:42 PDT 2015

*Weekly Science Report*

*May 15, 2015*

*“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its
limits.”*

Albert Einstein

 Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow man.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

 News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Fossil shows Prehistoric Reptile Gave Birth in Open Ocean

http://smithsonianscience.si.edu/2015/05/fossil-proves-prehistoric-reptile-gave-birth-in-open-ocean/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

New population genetics model could explain Finn, European differences

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-05/uoth-npg050815.php

Traces of flowers placed on a Palaeolithic tomb are found

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-05/uotb-tof050815.php

Analysis of bones found in Romania offer evidence of human and Neanderthal
interbreeding in Europe

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-analysis-bones-romania-evidence-human.html

Unique social structure of hunter-gatherers explained

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/spring-2015/article/unique-social-structure-of-hunter-gatherers-explained

Alaska researchers turn up 12,300-year-old artwork

http://www.newsminer.com/features/sundays/alaska_science_forum/alaska-researchers-turn-up--year-old-artwork/article_3b944bf4-f69a-11e4-a5be-6f5b528e8843.html

 *History*

Hungarian Holocaust Denier Ordered to Study the Holocaust

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/195042#.VVCfq5tOUdV

After A Fiery Speech, A Top-Secret Job Offer In The Desert

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/10/405241044/after-a-fiery-speech-a-top-secret-job-offer-in-the-desert?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150510

Ancient Canoe in New Zealand Inspires New Generation of Navigators

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/polynesian-voyaging-society/ancient-canoe-in-new-zeal_b_7242290.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Britons still live in Anglo-Saxon tribal kingdoms, Oxford University finds

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11480732/Britons-still-live-in-Anglo-Saxon-tribal-kingdoms-Oxford-University-finds.html

VE-Day 2015: London marks 70th anniversary with church service

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ve-day-2015-london-marks-70th-anniversary-with-church-service-1.3057752

Ancient skeleton shows leprosy may have spread to Britain from Scandinavia

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-05/uos-ass051215.php

This Map Shows the Full Extent of the Devastation Wrought by U-Boats in
World War I
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/map-shows-full-extent-devastation-wrought-uboats-world-war-i-180955191/

Dramatic Images of Berlin in May 1945, Set Against the City's Prosperous
Present

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/spring-berlin-1945-and-today-180955146/

Iron Age hoard in a megalithic funerary complex in Spain

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/spring-2015/article/iron-age-hoard-in-a-megalithic-funerary-complex-in-spain

Clam gardens point to ancient marine management

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/05/2015/clam-gardens-point-to-ancient-marine-management

 *Archaeology*

Dutch Collector Agrees to Return Mummified Buddha

http://english.cri.cn/12394/2015/05/08/4082s877844.htm

MH370 search discovers uncharted shipwreck

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-32719284?ocid=socialflow_facebook

Alexander The Great's Father Found In Tomb With Foreign Princess

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kristinakillgrove/2015/05/12/alexander-the-greats-father-found-in-tomb-with-foreign-princess/

Iraq says ISIS demolishes ruins to cover up looting operations

http://www.aawsat.net/2015/05/article55343406/iraq-says-isis-demolishes-ruins-to-cover-up-looting-operations

Gold-Filled Tomb Found at Construction Site in China

http://news.discovery.com/history/gold-filled-tomb-found-at-construction-site-in-china-150514.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Syrian official: World must protect ancient city from IS

http://www.pulse.me/ap/c3a95efe91494251ad9d7563d6f63b99?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

The Mysteries Of Teotihuacan

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/05/09/the-mysteries-of-teotihuacan.html

New light shed on the Viking Age: Scandinavia’s oldest town was built 70
years earlier than thought

http://sciencenordic.com/new-light-shed-viking-age-scandinavia%E2%80%99s-oldest-town-was-built-70-years-earlier-thought

IS at gates of Syria's Palmyra raising fears for ancient city

http://news.yahoo.com/jihadists-threaten-syrias-ancient-palmyra-093734513.html

<http://theweek.com/speedreads/555026/amateur-archaeologist-discovers-mysterious-stone-circle-southern-england>

Amateur archaeologist discovers mysterious stone circle in southern England
<http://theweek.com/speedreads/555026/amateur-archaeologist-discovers-mysterious-stone-circle-southern-england>

http://theweek.com/speedreads/555026/amateur-archaeologist-discovers-mysterious-stone-circle-southern-england

UNESCO to investigate pirate treasure hunt in Madagascar

http://news.yahoo.com/unesco-investigate-pirate-treasure-hunt-madagascar-100048775.html

The Minoans of Crete

http://archaeology.org/issues/174-1505/features/3145-crete-minoans-gournia-excavations

Letter from Hawaii

http://archaeology.org/issues/177-1505/letter-from/3144-letter-from-hawaii-kauai-caves

Japan's oldest basil pollen found in Nara ruins may have been 'medicine'
from China

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201505140060

 *Egyptology*

Egypt's animal mummy 'scandal' revealed

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32656743?ocid=socialflow_facebook

The Cult of Amun

http://www.archaeology.org/issues/174-1505/features/3146-sudan-nubia-dangeil-cult-of-amun-ra

Mummies' Height Reveals Incest

http://news.discovery.com/history/ancient-egypt/mummies-height-reveals-incest-150511.htm

 *General Science*

Future “Top Guns” Will Be Battle Managers Flying Bigger, Slower Aircraft

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/future-ldquo-top-guns-rdquo-will-be-battle-managers-flying-bigger-slower-aircraft/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

A Better Way to Build Brain-Inspired Chips

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/537211/a-better-way-to-build-brain-inspired-chips/

Could self-healing concrete be the future of construction?

http://www.csmonitor.com/Technology/2015/0514/Could-self-healing-concrete-be-the-future-of-construction-video?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

High-performance 3-D microbattery suitable for large-scale on-chip
integration

*http://phys.org/news/2015-05-high-performance-d-microbattery-suitable-large-scale.html
<http://phys.org/news/2015-05-high-performance-d-microbattery-suitable-large-scale.html>*

 *Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Inside the US Air Force's Next X-37B Space Plane Mystery Mission

http://news.yahoo.com/inside-us-air-forces-next-x-37b-space-113228717.html

Physicists Are Philosophers, Too

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/physicists-are-philosophers-too/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

Life Ain't Easy: What Would Make an Exoplanet "Earth-Like"?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/life-ain-t-easy-what-would-make-an-exoplanet-earth-like-excerpt/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

Massive Volcanic Eruptions Powered By Water

http://news.discovery.com/earth/massive-volcanic-eruptions-powered-by-water-150507.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Planetary Society Set To Launch Solar Sail Experiment

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/05/09/405506717/planetary-society-set-to-launch-solar-sail-experiment?sc=tw

At 13 Billion Light-Years Away, Galaxy Is Farthest To Be Measured From Earth

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/05/08/405280915/at-13-billion-light-years-away-galaxy-is-farthest-to-be-measured-from-earth?sc=tw

The Great 'Beyond': Contemplating Life, Sex And Elevators In Space

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/11/405503895/the-great-beyond-contemplating-life-sex-and-elevators-in-space?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150511

CSI: Aliens—Astronomers Prep to Detect Cryptic Exoplanet Biosignals

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/csi-aliens-astronomers-prep-to-detect-cryptic-exoplanet-biosignals/?utm_source=pulsenews&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ScientificAmerican-News+%28Content%3A+News%29

Searching the cosmos in Carl Sagan's name at Cornell

http://www.pulse.me/ap/52436ba619ab4b3fa41acdacf3c2130b?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

End Is Near for 10,000-Year-Old Antarctic Ice Shelf

http://news.discovery.com/earth/global-warming/end-is-near-for-10000-year-old-antarctic-ice-shelf-151015.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

New Horizons Mission Spies Pluto's Entire Moon Family

http://news.discovery.com/space/new-horizons-probe-spies-plutos-entire-moon-family-150513.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

A new Hope: first Arab Mars probe given mission to track water

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27486-a-new-hope-first-arab-mars-probe-given-mission-to-track-water.html?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=twitter&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2015-GLOBAL-twitter&utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%257CNSNS%257C2015-GLOBAL-hoot#.VVabC8KD7IW

What happens when Newton's third law is broken?

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-newton-law-broken.html

Probing iron chemistry in the deep mantle

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-probing-iron-chemistry-deep-mantle.html

Quantum physics on tap: Nano-sized faucet offers experimental support for
longstanding quantum theory

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-quantum-physics-nano-sized-faucet-experimental.html

Mystery methane on Mars: The saga continues

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-mystery-methane-mars-saga.html

US company plans to fly first plane on Venus

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/US-company-plans-to-fly-first-plane-on-Venus/articleshow/47304164.cms

 *Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Climate Denialists In Congress Acting As NASA's Kryptonite

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2015/05/12/406106296/climate-denialists-in-congress-acting-as-nasas-kryptonite?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20150512

Will Tesla's Battery for Homes Change the Energy Market?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/will-tesla-s-battery-for-homes-change-the-energy-market/?WT.mc_id=SA_Facebook

New Reactors May Be Needed for Climate Fight in U.S.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-reactors-may-be-needed-for-climate-fight-in-u-s/

A man-made mini-star to power our future

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/A-man-made-mini-star-to-power-our-future/articleshow/47304145.cms

The Lake That Could Light Up Central Africa

http://www.technologyreview.com/video/537381/the-lake-that-could-light-up-central-africa/

 *Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

A 3-D-Printed Implant Saves Lives

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/537166/a-3-d-printed-implant-saves-lives/

Meet The Machine That Could Replace Anesthesiologists

http://www.popsci.com/meet-machine-could-replace-anesthesiologists?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Exoskeleton helps paralyzed student walk

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/12/exoskeleton-helps-paralyzed-student-walk/27209481/

Antiviral compound may protect brain from pathogens, West Nile virus study
shows

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-05-antiviral-compound-brain-pathogens-west.html

Artificial pancreas at risk of being hacked

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Artificial-pancreas-at-risk-of-being-hacked/articleshow/47304179.cms

 *Other*

The internet is running out of room – but we can save it

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27536-the-internet-is-running-out-of-room--but-we-can-save-it.html#.VVacjcKD7IU

 Additional Informational

'The day I infiltrated an African cult'

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/06/africa/gallery/infiltrated-african-nyau-cult/index.html