[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 5-29-15

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun May 31 18:30:57 PDT 2015

*Weekly Science Report*

*May 29, 2015*

*“Books are the carriers of civilization. Without books, history is silent,
literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill.
I think that there is nothing, not even crime, more opposed to poetry, to
philosophy, to life itself than this incessant business.”*

Henry David Thoreau

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow man.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

 News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Dinosaurs May Have Been Warm-Blooded

http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosaurs/dinosaurs-may-have-been-warm-blooded-mammal-like-150528.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

When Will We See an Actual Dino-Chicken?

http://news.discovery.com/animals/dinosaurs/when-will-we-see-a-dino-chicken-15052.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

'New species' of ancient human found

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32906836

Did Dinosaurs Walk on Their Fingertips at One Point?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/did-dinosaurs-walk-on-their-fingertips-at-one-point/

Genetic Study Suggests Humans Migrated North Out of Africa

http://www.archaeology.org/news/3325-50529-africa-migration-route

Environmental Stresses Left Marks on Ancient Genes

http://www.archaeology.org/news/3324-150529-ancient-dna-epigenetics

 *History*

Oscar Romero beatification draws huge El Salvador crowds

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-32859627?ocid=socialflow_facebook

How an Iraqi friar saved ancient Christian manuscripts from Isis

http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/features/article/how-an-iraqi-friar-saved-ancient-christian-manuscripts-from-isis#sthash.9gRazBZ1.dpuf

Inescapable, apocalyptic dread: The terrifying nuclear autumn of 1983

http://www.salon.com/2013/09/29/inescapable_apocalyptic_dread_the_terrifying_nuclear_autumn_of_1983/

Alleged Nazi War Criminal Vladimir Katriuk Dies in Canada Aged 93

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/alleged-nazi-war-criminal-vladimir-katriuk-dies-canada-aged-93-n366491

USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor closed after ship hits dock

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/05/29/USS-Arizona-Memorial-at-Pearl-Harbor-closed-after-damaged-in-ship-collision/4091432891687/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Early Christian Irish and Scots ‘first-footers’ in Iceland

http://www.bangor.ac.uk/news/latest/early-christian-irish-and-scots-first-footers-in-iceland-22864#sthash.swzEHf6b.dpuf

Through Performance, Mississippi Students Honor Long-Forgotten Locals

http://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2015/04/17/400363343/through-performance-mississippi-students-honor-long-forgotten-locals?sc=tw

In small Dutch village, our dead soldiers are loved

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/05/25/dutch-village-american-cemetery-memorial-day-newser/27912961/

Fascinating Cambridge University Research Links Endangered Pontic Greek
Dialect to Ancient Greek

http://www.pappaspost.com/fascinating-cambridge-university-research-links-endangered-pontic-greek-dialect-to-ancient-greek/

Scientists find ancient Peruvians more diverse than first thought

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-scientists-find-ancient-peruvians-more-diverse-than-first-thought-106397

Sex, drugs and Philistines: A biblical psychedelic scene

http://www.timesofisrael.com/sex-drugs-and-philistines-a-biblical-psychedelic-scene/

Historian mapping out a new view of the Medieval world

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150526140524.htm

 *Archaeology*

This Arizona 'Castle' Is A Beautiful And Well-Preserved Mistake

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kari-haugeto/this-arizona-castle-is-a_b_7435444.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

US returns 25 looted artifacts to Italy: Vases, frescoes

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2015/may/26/us-returns-25-looted-artifacts-to-italy-vases/

“Saving the cultural heritage of Iraq” -- Director-General welcomes
Adoption of the UN General Assembly Resolution

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/about-us/who-we-are/director-general/singleview-dg/news/saving_the_cultural_heritage_of_iraq_director_general_welcomes_adoption_of_the_un_general_assembly_resolution#.VWqMRMLD_IV

Archaeologists uncover remains, other Fremont Indian artifacts near Utah
Lake

http://news.yahoo.com/video/archaeologists-uncover-remains-other-fremont-153034968.html

Sculpted Dragon Heads Hint at Xanadu’s Splendors

http://www.archaeology.org/news/3326-150529-xanadu-dragon-head

Long-lost watermarked Ottoman banknote found

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/long-lost-watermarked-ottoman-banknote-found-.aspx?pageID=238&nid=83190&NewsCatID=375

Ancient 2,400-year-old gold bongs discovered in Russia

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/archaeologists-discover-2400yearold-gold-bongs-in-russia-10285876.html

New Secrets of Staffordshire Hoard Revealed

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/spring-2015/article/new-secrets-of-staffordshire-hoard-revealed

Archeologists discover ancient mounds in Iran’s Kerman Province

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2015/05/27/413138/Iran-Kerman-mounds-Bronze-Age-Faryab-Tubingen-University-Jiroft-Mesopotamia

 *Egyptology*

Egyptian pyramids found by infra-red satellite images

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-13522957

The Cult of Amun

http://www.archaeology.org/issues/174-1505/features/3146-sudan-nubia-dangeil-cult-of-amun-ra

 *General Science*

3-D Print Your Own Humanoid Robot Friend

*http://www.popsci.com/3-d-print-your-own-humanoid-robot-friend?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
<http://www.popsci.com/3-d-print-your-own-humanoid-robot-friend?con&dom=pulse&src=syndication&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews>*

In 200 years, rich humans will be cyborgs, says professor

*https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/200-years-rich-humans-cyborgs-203323849.html
<https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/200-years-rich-humans-cyborgs-203323849.html>*

Cheetah robot lands the running jump

*http://phys.org/news/2015-05-cheetah-robot-video.html
<http://phys.org/news/2015-05-cheetah-robot-video.html>*

Farms of the Future Will Use Drones, Robots and GPS
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/drone360/2015/05/27/farmers-drones-robots-gps/>

*http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/drone360/2015/05/27/farmers-drones-robots-gps/
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/drone360/2015/05/27/farmers-drones-robots-gps/>*

 *Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Experiment confirms quantum theory weirdness

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-quantum-theory-weirdness.html

Dust from asteroid mining spells danger for satellites

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630235.100-dust-from-asteroid-mining-spells-danger-for-satellites.html?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%257CNSNS%257C2015-GLOBAL-hoot#.VWqInMLD_IV

Chinese astronaut calls for cooperation, access to International Space
Station

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/28/asia/china-space-mckenzie/index.html

The Silly Reason the Chinese Aren’t Allowed on the Space Station

http://time.com/3901419/space-station-no-chinese/

NASA telescopes set limits on space-time quantum 'foam'

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-nasa-telescopes-limits-space-time-quantum.html

Donuts, math, and superdense teleportation of quantum information

http://phys.org/news/2015-05-donuts-math-superdense-teleportation-quantum.html

Hints of Salty Water on Mars Raises Planetary Protection Concerns

http://news.yahoo.com/hints-salty-water-mars-raises-planetary-protection-concerns-125102696.html

Geologic mapping of Mars

http://smithsonianscience.si.edu/2015/05/geologic-mapping-of-mars/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

New Spacecraft Photos Hint at a Rich and Complex Pluto

http://news.discovery.com/space/new-spacecraft-photos-reveal-a-rich-and-complex-pluto-150527.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Bill Nye's LightSail spacecraft has lost contact with Earth

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/29/8688035/bill-nye-lightsail-spacecraft-communication-problem

 *Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Interior secretary: Hill funding divide could threaten national parks

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/threat-to-nations-parks-seen-as-congress-stalls-on-renewing-fund/2015/05/23/3ede32c4-015e-11e5-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html?hpid=z14

Ecosystem Blueprints Could Help Restore Destroyed Environments

http://www.popsci.com/restoring-environments-should-start-ecosystem-blueprint

Great Barrier Reef spared 'in danger' listing - for now

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32932205

How Nanomaterials Can Help Make Fuel from Sunlight

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/537051/how-nanomaterials-can-help-make-fuel-from-sunlight/

Solar Impulse 2 aircraft readying for 5,000 mile trip without gas

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2015/05/25/Solar-Impulse-2-aircraft-readying-for-5000-mile-trip-without-gas/6141432559227/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

High-capacity batteries made from wood pulp

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/High-capacity-batteries-made-from-wood-pulp/articleshow/47490093.cms

Soon, prosthetic hands with a sense of touch

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/science/Soon-prosthetic-hands-with-a-sense-of-touch/articleshow/47481809.cms

 *Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Mystery disease claims half world population of saiga antelopes

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn27598-mystery-disease-claims-half-world-population-of-saiga-antelopes.html#.VWqItcLD_IU

Researchers taking bold steps toward engineering new lungs

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-05-bold-lungs.html

Bionic Lens Implant Could Improve Vision Beyond 20/20

http://news.discovery.com/tech/biotechnology/bionic-lens-implant-could-improve-vision-beyond-2020-150528.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Smartphones Are So Smart They Can Now Test Your Vision

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/05/28/409731415/smart-phones-are-so-smart-they-can-now-test-your-vision?sc=tw

Fewer students study botany, more plant collections closing

http://www.pulse.me/ap/d51e772df0a3418a93a26cfa260aa60a?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Artificial DNA links up just like the real thing

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22630235.200-artificial-dna-links-up-just-like-the-real-thing.html#.VWukecLD_IU

 *Other*

First Looks at The Martian Revealed

http://www.universetoday.com/120538/first-looks-at-the-martian-revealed/?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

Genies Blamed For School Sickness, Possessions

http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/genies-blamed-for-school-sickness-possessions-150524.htm?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews#mkcpgn=rssnws1

Elon Musk created his own grade school for the children of SpaceX employees

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/22/8646683/elon-musk-school-spacex-children

'A Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash, wife killed in crash

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/24/john-nash-dies/27879515/

 Additional Informational

A How-To Guide To Buying Artifacts Looted by the Islamic State

http://foreignpolicy.com/2015/05/28/a-how-to-guide-to-buying-artifacts-looted-by-the-islamic-state/

In pictures: Drones take whale science to new heights

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-32935898