[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 9-4-15

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 19:18:32 PDT 2015

*Weekly Science Report*

*September 4, 2015*

*“Do you open your hearts to the memories that your grandparents pass on?
Grandparents are like the wisdom of the family, they are the wisdom of a
people.”*

Pope Francis

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

<http://theweek.com/speedreads/574500/archaeologists-discover-neanderthal-cave-heated-water-bedroom>

Archaeologists discover Neanderthal cave with heated water, bedroom
<http://theweek.com/speedreads/574500/archaeologists-discover-neanderthal-cave-heated-water-bedroom>

http://theweek.com/speedreads/574500/archaeologists-discover-neanderthal-cave-heated-water-bedroom

Permian Extinction: Volcanic Eruptions Blamed for Earth's Biggest Die-Off

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/permian-extinction-volcanic-eruptions-blamed-earths-biggest-die-n417901?cid=sm_fb

Mysterious Russian Statue Is 11,000 Years Old - Twice As Old As The Pyramids

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mysterious-russian-statue-is-11-000-years-old---twice-as-old-as-the-pyramids-170632897.html#z960Tge

Britain's Atlantis: Scientific study beneath North Sea could revolutionise
how we see the past

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/britains-atlantis-scientific-study-beneath-north-sea-could-revolutionise-how-we-see-the-past-10480279.html

*History*

Mount McKinley Will Again Be Called Denali

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/us/mount-mckinley-will-be-renamed-denali.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Trail of Tears: From a Middle School Student's Perspective

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/03/06/trail-tears-middle-school-students-perspective-159140

Chiara Vigo: The last woman who makes sea silk

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33691781

What did Mahatma Gandhi think of black people?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/09/03/what-did-mahatma-gandhi-think-of-black-people/

Native Americans 'Don't Do Very Well,' GOP Senator Rand Paul Says

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/09/04/native-americans-dont-do-very-well-gop-senator-rand-paul-says-161646

Japanese-American WWII war hero Ben Kuroki dies

http://news.yahoo.com/japanese-american-wwii-war-hero-ben-kuroki-dies-145504932.html

Science Blows Up Big Lies: Pre-Columbian Peoples Skilled Farmers, and Many
Millions Killed by Invasion

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/08/24/science-blows-big-lies-pre-columbian-peoples-skilled-farmers-and-many-millions-killed

How a Volcanic Eruption in 1815 Darkened the World but Colored the Arts

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/science/mount-tambora-volcano-eruption-1815.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

Origins of 'Gospel of Jesus's Wife' Begin to Emerge

http://news.yahoo.com/origins-gospel-jesuss-wife-begin-emerge-115640514.html

Donald Trump meet Wong Kim Ark, the Chinese American cook who is the father
of ‘birthright citizenship’

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/31/donald-trump-meet-wong-kim-ark-the-chinese-american-cook-who-is-the-father-of-birthright-citizenship/?tid=sm_fb

60 Years Later, Echoes of Emmett Till’s Killing

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/31/opinion/charles-m-blow-60-years-later-echoes-of-emmett-tills-killing.html?ref=opinion&_r=0

Not such Philistines after all: Ancient culture introduced cumin, bay
leaves and opium poppies into the Middle Eastern diet
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3216953/Not-Philistines-Ancient-culture-introduced-cumin-bay-leaves-opium-poppies-Middle-Eastern-diet.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

'Deathbed' map led to site of possible Nazi gold train

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/29/deathbed-map-led-site-possible-nazi-gold-train/71376750/

Polish soldiers begin inspecting site where Nazi 'gold train' may be buried

http://news.yahoo.com/polish-soldiers-arrive-spot-where-nazi-gold-train-125838477.html

*Archaeology*

Taj Mahal chandelier crash investigation ordered

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-34026594

Pakistan Unveiled

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02qvb6j

Researchers find sunken military vessel missing for decades

http://news.yahoo.com/researchers-sunken-military-vessel-missing-decades-212510462.html

Lost Palace of Sparta Possibly Uncovered

http://news.yahoo.com/lost-palace-sparta-possibly-uncovered-140506834.html

Israeli archaeologists unearth unique stepped structure in City of David

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/08/31/israeli-archaeologists-unearth-unique-stepped-structure-in-city-david/

Restoration of 800-year-old Buddha completed

https://www.iiconservation.org/node/5874

3D Imaging Cameras To Record Threatened Middle East Archaeological Sites

http://www.artlyst.com/articles/3d-imaging-cameras-to-record-threatened-middle-east-archaeological-sites

Efforts to Preserve Henry Varnum Poor’s House and Its History Have Stalled

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/15/arts/design/efforts-to-preserve-henry-varnum-poors-house-and-its-history-have-stalled.html?_r=2

Restoring the glory of temple paintings

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/restoring-the-glory-of-temple-paintings/article7609514.ece

Young Israeli Girl Breaks 2,000-year-old Vase, Museum Says Thanks

http://www.haaretz.com/news/israel/.premium-1.672813?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook

Treasure trove of warrior jewellery unearthed in Russia: Ancient grave
belongs to woman who worshipped fire 2,000 years ago
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3196696/Treasure-trove-warrior-jewellery-unearthed-Russia-Ancient-grave-belongs-woman-worshipped-fire-2-000-years-ago.html

Bronze Age Greek city found underwater

http://www.speroforum.com/a/TJGTRQPMJA31/76356-Bronze-Age-Greek-city-found-underwater#.Vem8nWdOUdX

One more ancient civilisation found in Lake Issyk-Kul: could this be where
St Matthew is buried?
<http://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/f0147-one-more-ancient-civilisation-found-underwater-in-lake-issyk-kul-could-this-be-where-matthew-the-apostle-is-buried/>

http://siberiantimes.com/science/casestudy/features/f0147-one-more-ancient-civilisation-found-underwater-in-lake-issyk-kul-could-this-be-where-matthew-the-apostle-is-buried/

*Egyptology*

Nothing to report

*General Science*

Nothing to report

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Walter Munk, the ‘Einstein of the Oceans’

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/science/walter-munk-einstein-of-the-oceans-at-97.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-middle-span-region&region=c-column-middle-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-middle-span-region&_r=0

Two innovations every space enthusiast needs to know

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2015/08/20/two-innovations-every-space-enthusiast-needs-to-know/

NASA Is Using A Tiny Camera Made For Surgery To Save Satellites In Orbit

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/75917/20150814/nasa-using-tiny-camera-made-surgery-save-satellites-orbit.htm

Scientists Create 360-Degree Images of Hawaii Coral Reefs

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/scientists-create-360-degree-images-hawaii-coral-reefs-33186687

Magnetic fields provide a new way to communicate wirelessly

http://phys.org/news/2015-09-magnetic-fields-wirelessly.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Italy's Eni finds 'supergiant' natural gas field off Egypt

http://news.yahoo.com/eni-says-found-supergiant-natural-gas-field-off-133441315--finance.html

How a new battery revolution will change your life

http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Energy/2015/0830/How-a-new-battery-revolution-will-change-your-life

Secretive fusion company makes reactor breakthrough

http://news.sciencemag.org/physics/2015/08/secretive-fusion-company-makes-reactor-breakthrough

Garbage In, Power Out: South Carolina BMW Plant Converts Landfill Gas to
Hydrogen Fuel

http://energy.gov/articles/garbage-power-out-south-carolina-bmw-plant-converts-landfill-gas-hydrogen-fuel

Huge Kites: a Soaring Energy Solution?

http://www.xprize.org/news/huge-kites-soaring-energy-solution

Getting A Glass Of Water Can Be An Ordeal In Some Parts Of The World

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/08/29/434649468/no-more-standing-by-the-spigot-messaging-app-alerts-water-availability?sc=tw

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

60,000 Antelope Died in Four Days and No One Knows Why

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/environment/60-000-antelope-died-four-days-no-one-knows-why-n421056?cid=sm_fb

Whale and dolphin survey to assess effect of seismic testing

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/whale-and-dolphin-survey-to-assess-effect-of-seismic-testing-1.2326099

A Surprise Source of Life's Code

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/a-surprise-source-of-life-s-code/

*Other*

Nothing to report

Additional Informational

*Star Trek Axanar: *http://www.axanarproductions.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar
   - Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar