[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 4-22-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 12:51:47 PDT 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*April 22, 2016*

*“How could the Greeks ever forgive their Catholic brothers, whose swords
still dripped with Christian blood, and who had betrayed and violated their
holiest shrines.”*

Pope Innocent III on the sacking of Constantinople

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Study: Dinosaurs Were Declining Long Before Asteroid Hit

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/study-dinosaurs-declining-long-asteroid-hit-38489576

Team studies whether Americans were descendants of original modern humans

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-team-americans-descendants-modern-humans.html

Discovery of 13-million-year-old croc suggests parallel evolution of
'telescoping' eyes

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-million-year-old-storyteller-crocodylian-fossils-evidence.html

21-million-year-old fossil is North America’s first monkey

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2085277-21-million-year-old-fossil-is-north-americas-first-monkey/

*History*

The Librarian Who Saved Timbuktu’s Cultural Treasures From al Qaeda

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-librarian-who-saved-timbuktus-cultural-treasures-from-al-qaeda-1460729998

Vikings may have first taken to seas to find women, slaves

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/04/vikings-may-have-first-taken-seas-find-women-slaves?utm_source=newsfromscience&utm_medium=facebook-text&utm_campaign=vikings-3660

Italy retrieves three works looted from Tuscan villa by the Nazis

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/italy-retrieves-three-works-looted-from-the-grand-duke-of-luxembourg-by-the-nazis-/

Horrors Pile Up Quietly In 'The Other Slavery'

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/17/471622218/horrors-pile-up-quietly-in-the-other-slavery?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160417

The world's first ghetto, 500 years later

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/21/world/cnnphotos-venice-ghetto-anniversary/index.html

Palmyra’s legacy is everywhere – and ISIS could never have erased it

http://www.apollo-magazine.com/palmyras-legacy-is-everywhere-and-isis-could-never-have-erased-it/?utm_content=bufferca2d4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Historical Reenactor Accuracy Wars

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/the-historical-reenactor-accuracy-wars?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=smithsonian

Phylogenetic analyses suggests fairy tales are much older than thought

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-phylogenetic-analyses-fairy-tales-older.html#jCp

The Indian from Rhode Island Who Won the Boston Marathon—Twice

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2014/04/21/indian-rhode-island-who-won-boston-marathon-twice-154541

Visiting museums like the Louvre is terrible, and there’s no fair solution

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2016/04/19/visiting-museums-like-the-louvre-is-terrible-and-theres-no-fair-solution/?tid=sm_fb

Titanic artifacts reveal gruesome discovery of tragic ship's last lifeboat

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/titanic-artifacts-reveal-gruesome-discovery-of-tragic-ships-last-lifeboat/ar-BBrYMrz?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SL5FDHP

India still wants the UK to give the Kohinoor diamond back

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/20/asia/india-kohinoor-diamond/index.html?sr=fbcnni042016india-kohinoor-diamond0542AMStoryLink&linkId=23619485

Where did the Etruscans come from? The linguistic and genetic clues are
piling up.

http://www.pri.org/stories/2016-04-15/where-did-etruscan-people-come-we-still-dont-know-linguistic-and-genetic-clues

Treasury Decides To Put Harriet Tubman On $20 Bill

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/20/474983292/treasury-decides-to-put-harriet-tubman-on-20-bill

Obama will break Armenian genocide promise (again)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/obama-will-break-armenian-genocide-promise-again-201843146.html

The Mundari: The tribe dying for their cows

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/22/africa/mundari-tribe-cattle-photography/index.html?sr=cnnifb

*Archaeology*

Hildersham church loo flushes out ancient skeletons

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-35984957

15 skeletons found at Harappan site in Hisar’s Rakhigarhi village

http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/haryana/15-skeletons-found-at-harappan-site-in-hisar-s-rakhigarhi-village/221923.html

Palmyra Arch Destroyed by ISIS Rises Again in Central London
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/palmyra-arch-destroyed-isis-rises-again-central-london-180958848/?no-ist

As the Arctic Erodes, Archaeologists Are Racing to Protect Ancient Treasures
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/arctic-erodes-archaeologists-are-racing-protect-ancient-treasures-180957933/?no-ist&utm_content=buffer9a379&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Did Aztec rulers sacrifice their STAFF?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3417150/Did-Aztec-rulers-sacrifice-STAFF-Bones-reveals-victims-served-elite-killed-Great-Temple-Tenochtitl-n.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490&utm_content=buffer0a5ab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Global universities unite for ‘critical moment’ to advance cultural
heritage preservation

http://news.yale.edu/2016/04/20/global-universities-unite-critical-moment-advance-cultural-heritage-preservation?platform=hootsuite

Ancient Japanese shrine damaged and 'cherry blossom gate' destroyed by
earthquake

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/ancient-japanese-aso-shrine-damaged-in-kyushu-earthquake-as-cherry-blossom-gate-is-destroyed-a6987301.html

Archaeologist sees Bosnia stone sphere as the most massive in Europe

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-archaeologist-bosnia-stone-sphere-massive.html

British team to conserve Ethiopia’s oldest wall paintings

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/conservation/british-team-to-conserve-ethiopia-s-oldest-wall-paintings/

Ancient Peruvian Mystery Solved From Space

http://news.discovery.com/earth/nazca-mystery-solved-from-space-160416.htm?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=DNewsSocial

Historians, Archaeologists Plan Maritime Heritage Trail For Pensacola

http://wuwf.org/post/historians-archaeologists-plan-maritime-heritage-trail-pensacola#stream/0

The fight to preserve Gaza’s archaeological heritage

http://www.scidev.net/global/conflict/multimedia/preserve-gaza--archaeological-heritage.html?utm_content=bufferc9b06&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Artist Edoardo Tresoldi creates a phantom church in Italy's Puglia

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/18/arts/wire-ghost-church-edoardo-tresoldi/index.html?sr=fbcnni041916wire-ghost-church-edoardo-tresoldi0719AMStoryGalLink&linkId=23581416

Ancient monuments in India's Karnataka state under threat

http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.ca/2016/04/ancient-monuments-in-indias-karnataka.html#.Vxo_ZPkrJQJ

*Egyptology*

12-Year-Old Israeli Girl Discovers Ancient Egyptian Amulet

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/12-year-israeli-girl-discovers-ancient-egyptian-amulet-38502415

*General Science*

This Tiny African Country Is Leading the World's Drone Race

*http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/this-tiny-african-country-is-leading-the-worlds-drone-race/68048?utm_source=ozywiredw&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4162016
<http://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/this-tiny-african-country-is-leading-the-worlds-drone-race/68048?utm_source=ozywiredw&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=4162016>*

Quantum computing closer as researchers drive towards first quantum data bus

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-quantum-closer-bus.html

Commander: Air Force lab's work on drones, lasers, hypersonic weapons will
be 'game-changers'

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/commander-air-force-lab-s-work-on-drones-lasers-hypersonic-weapons-will-be-game-changers-1.404950

Sydney’s nanoscience lab has floating floors and Faraday cages

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2084920-sydneys-nanoscience-lab-has-floating-floors-and-faraday-cages/

Air Force team breaks speed record with magnetically levitated sled system

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-air-team-magnetically-levitated-sled.html

These futuristic driverless pods will run on Singapore's roads by end of
the year

http://mashable.com/2016/04/20/driverless-pods-singapore/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-asia-link#erFa3hr8Jgq3

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

It’s Time to Start Creating ‘Air Traffic Controllers’ for Space

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/04/space-air-traffic-controllers/127479/?oref=DefenseOneTCO

Scientists Unearth 11th Century Persian Scholar's Supernova Surveillance
http://sputniknews.com/environment/20160424/1038518906/ibn-sina-supernova-sighting.html

Pluto just the beginning for New Horizons Kuiper Belt journey

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-pluto-horizons-kuiper-belt-journey.html

Earth-like planet may exist in a nearby star system

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-earth-like-planet-nearby-star.html

Growing launch activity lifts Space Coast bars, businesses

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/os-space-coast-business-boost-20160418-story.html

Spacecraft finds bright craters on Ceres

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/19/tech/bright-craters-ceres-irpt/index.html?sr=fbCNN041916bright-craters-ceres-irpt0843PMStoryGalLink&linkId=23608972

NASA’s Dawn probe may visit third asteroid after Ceres and Vesta

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2085288-nasas-dawn-probe-may-visit-third-asteroid-after-ceres-and-vesta/

Scientists just discovered a 1,000-km-long coral reef at the mouth of the
Amazon

http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-just-discovered-a-1-000-km-coral-reef-at-the-mouth-of-the-amazon

Huge never-before-seen lake spotted hiding under Antarctic ice

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2085523-huge-never-before-seen-lake-spotted-hiding-under-antarctic-ice/

First direct evidence of ancient Mars’s oxygen-rich atmosphere

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2085604-first-direct-evidence-of-ancient-marss-oxygen-rich-atmosphere/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Drowning history: Sea level rise threatens US historic sites

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/14ef99f8ffcf4bdc9064daf918fbf85b/drowning-history-sea-level-rise-threatens-us-historic-sites

Why China Wants to Build Something Called 'Sponge Cities'

http://www.citylab.com/design/2015/11/why-china-wants-to-build-sponge-cities/417114/

‘And then we wept': Scientists say 93 percent of the Great Barrier Reef now
bleached

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/04/20/and-then-we-wept-scientists-say-93-percent-of-the-great-barrier-reef-now-bleached/?tid=sm_fb

France Declares All New Rooftops Must Be Topped With Plants Or Solar Panels

http://csglobe.com/france-declares-all-new-rooftops-must-be-topped-with-plants-or-solar-panels/

Australian politician sets river on fire to protest fracking

https://www.yahoo.com/news/australian-politician-sets-river-fire-protest-fracking-064640159.html

A Rare Look Inside The 'Gigafactory' Tesla Hopes Will Revolutionize Energy
Use

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2016/04/18/474346868/a-rare-look-inside-the-gigafactory-tesla-hopes-will-revolutionize-energy-use?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160418

NNSA’s work and missions help save the earth

http://nnsa.energy.gov/blog/nnsa%E2%80%99s-work-and-missions-help-save-earth

San Francisco Requires New Buildings To Install Solar Panels

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/20/474969107/san-francisco-requires-new-buildings-to-install-solar-panels?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160420

RESEARCHERS ACCIDENTALLY MAKE BATTERIES LAST 400 TIMES LONGER

http://www.popsci.com/researchers-accidentally-make-batteries-last-400-times-longer?src=SOC&dom=fb

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Genetic Superheroes walk amongst us

http://www.wired.com/2016/04/scientists-find-genetic-superheroes-cant-tell/?mbid=nl_ozy41616

Dolphins have a language that helps them solve problems together

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2084557-dolphins-have-a-language-that-helps-them-solve-problems-together/?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2016-GLOBAL-hoot

Can Whales And Humans Collaborate On Research?

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/04/21/475015965/can-whales-and-humans-collaborate-on-research

*Other*

Nat Geo's 'The Story of God' With Morgan Freeman Shatters Network Records
http://www.christianpost.com/news/national-geographic-the-story-of-god-with-morgan-freeman-shatters-network-records-161392/

Humanity’s Future – Fragile or Hyperconnected, or Both?

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/04/17/humanitys-future-planned-around-connections-rather-than-borders/?ref=opinion&_r=1

Malaysia school shut amid 'mass hysteria' over sightings of a black figure

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/malaysia-school-shut-amid-mass-hysteria-over-sightings-of-a-black-figure/ar-BBs0azs?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SL5FDHP

'Star Trek: Axanar' Fan Film Docked After Copyright Suit from CBS/Paramount

http://www.space.com/32633-32629-star-trek-axanar-copyright-suit.html

Ray Kurzweil Predicts Three Technologies Will Define Our Future

http://linkis.com/singularityhub.com/2/4Mg4s

Additional Informational

The challenge of protecting heritage in times of armed conflict by Peter G
Stone. News in Conservation Issue 53, April 2016

https://www.iiconservation.org/node/6323

5 Tips from *Peter Diamandis on Finding Your Passion*

https://medium.com/singularity-university-blog/5-tips-from-peter-diamandis-on-finding-your-passion-a53d184bdb96#.76vt0f72p

*Star Trek Axanar: *http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar
   - Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar