[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 8-5-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 19:37:20 PDT 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*August 5, 2016*

*“The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its
limits.”*

Albert Einstein

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Where there's smoke—and a mutation—there may be an evolutionary edge for
humans

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-smokeand-mutationthere-evolutionary-edge-humans.html

A tale of two Neolithics?

http://www.archaeology.co.uk/articles/features/a-tale-of-two-neolithics.htm

Is Earthly life premature from a cosmic perspective?

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-earthly-life-premature-cosmic-perspective.html

12,300-Year-Old Fire Pit Found in Northern Utah

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/12300-year-fire-pit-found-northern-utah-41171805?yptr=yahoo

*History*

Turmoil at Honolulu’s Bishop Museum

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/museums/turmoil-at-honolulu-s-bishop-museum-/

Herbert Hoover: Only US President to Have Lived on Indian Reservation

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/08/02/herbert-hoover-only-us-president-have-lived-indian-reservation-165317

Pope Francis: Humanity Is Stronger Than Evil

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-francis-humanity-stronger-evil-141510754.html?nhp=1

Himmler diaries found in Russia reveal daily Nazi horrors

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36951548

Pope orders study of women's role in early Church, cheering equality
campaigners

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-sets-group-study-women-deacons-125924431.html

Remembering the biggest mass murder in the history of the world

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/08/03/giving-historys-greatest-mass-murderer-his-due/

Post-Conflict Construction of Memory and Heritage: Studying the Maya Caste
War in Tihosuco, Mexico

http://conflictculture.info/2016/08/03/1988/

Japan remembers Hiroshima, urges world to follow Obama and visit

https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-remembers-hiroshima-urges-world-obama-visit-003447807.html

A 70-year-old mystery: ‘We know that babies disappeared’

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/article94113292.html

40 Years On, A Controversial Film On Islam's Origins Is Now A Classic

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/08/07/485234999/40-years-on-a-controversial-film-on-islams-origins-is-now-a-classic

*Archaeology*

Legends say China began in a great flood. Scientists just found evidence
that the flood was real.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/08/04/legends-say-china-began-in-a-great-flood-scientists-just-found-evidence-that-the-flood-was-real/

Ancient Greek 'Computer' Came with a User Guide

http://www.livescience.com/55168-antikythera-mechanism-had-user-manual.html?utm_content=bufferee8ac&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

*Egyptology*

Does This Rock Explain Why Egyptians Are Biblical Villains?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/31/does-this-rock-explain-why-egyptians-are-biblical-villains.html?source=TDB&via=FB_Page

A New Life for the *Book of the Dead*

http://www.metmuseum.org/blogs/now-at-the-met/2016/new-life-for-book-of-the-dead

*General Science*

*Inside the Online School that could radically change how kids learn
everywhere*

http://www.wired.com/2016/08/inside-online-school-radically-change-kids-learn-everywhere/?mbid=nl_8416_p1

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

A private spaceflight company just got government approval to fly to the
moon

http://mashable.com/2016/08/03/moon-express-lunar-mission-approval/#MCYuonk.T8qP

Scientists discover light could exist in a previously unknown form

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-scientists-previously-unknown.html

*Scientists may have found proof of a parallel universe leaking into our
own*

http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-5/scientists-may-have-just-found-proof-parallel-universe-leaking-our-own?utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=57a4478304d3017e72fdd94f&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Study Asks if Moon Astronauts Got Increased Heart Risks

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/29/science/apollo-astronauts-heart-risks-study.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

NASA plans to launch study of asteroid that could destroy Earth
<http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/nasa-plans-to-launch-study-of-asteroid-that-could-destroy-earth/>

http://nypost.com/2016/07/31/nasa-plans-to-launch-study-of-asteroid-that-could-destroy-earth/

China and NASA may work together in space, ending decades-old freeze on
space cooperation

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-and-nasa-may-work-together-in-space-2016-8?r=UK&IR=T

Small Groups of Satellites Are More Accurate Because of Teamwork: Study
<http://gizmodo.com/small-groups-of-satellites-are-more-accurate-because-of-1783632952>

http://gizmodo.com/small-groups-of-satellites-are-more-accurate-because-of-1783632952

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Solar Impulse II Successfully Completes Round-The-World Trip

http://www.popsci.com/solar-impulse-ii-successfully-completes-round-world-trip

The Africans buying sunshine with their phones

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/28/the-africans-buying-sunshine-with-their-smartphones

The New Green Grid: Utilities Deploy ‘Virtual Power Plants’

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/virtual_power_plants_aliso_canyon/3021/

Scientists convert carbon dioxide, create electricity

https://techxplore.com/news/2016-08-scientists-carbon-dioxide-electricity.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

IBM lab-on-a-chip breakthrough aims to help physicians detect cancer

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-ibm-lab-on-a-chip-breakthrough-aims-physicians.html

*Other*

Scientists Are Now Even More Confused By Potential "Alien Superstructure"

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/deep-space/a22220/alien-superstructure-tabbys-star/

Additional Informational

World Heritage in the High Seas: An Idea Whose Time Has Come

http://whc.unesco.org/en/highseas/?utm_content=buffer50058&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Lost Navy boat: Conestoga's watery grave

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/lost-navy-boat-conestogas-watery-grave/?ftag=ACQ449302a&vndid=1851644200&ttag=cbsn-fb-1255&nan_pid=1851644200