[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report, Aug 19

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 19:52:46 PDT 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*August 19, 2016*

*“The time has come to take concrete steps to bring about a real
transformation in the ways we educate our future generations. We need to
combine both an education of the mind with an education of the heart so
that our children grow up as responsible, caring citizens equipped to meet
the challenges of today's increasingly globalized world.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Studying the Footprints of Human Ancestors

http://discovermagazine.com/2015/oct/19-first-impressions

What Happened in the Seconds, Hours, Weeks After the Dino-Killing Asteroid
Hit Earth?
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/what-happened-seconds-hours-weeks-after-dino-killing-asteroid-hit-earth-180960032/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&no-ist

How Otzi the Iceman outfitted himself: Fur from brown bears and leather
from roe deer

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-otzi-iceman-garments-quiver-20160818-snap-story.html

New species of fossil dolphin found

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37108207

Tool or weapon?

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/summer-2016/article/tool-or-weapon

*History*

The Chinese admiral who spread Islam across Southeast Asia

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/article/2006222/chinese-admiral-who-spread-islam-across-southeast-asia

13 Shocking and Funny Names from the Crazy Horse Surrender Ledger

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/08/05/13-shocking-and-funny-names-crazy-horse-surrender-ledger-161235

India's 1947 Partition And The 'Deadly Legacy' That Persists To This Day

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/09/413121135/indias-1947-partition-and-the-deadly-legacy-that-persists-to-this-day?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160814

Ancient Irish musical history found in modern India

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-05/anu-aim051316.php?utm_content=bufferf844c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Uncovering the brutal truth about the British Empire

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2016/aug/18/uncovering-truth-british-empire-caroline-elkins-mau-mau?CMP=fb_gu

Painful but crucial: Why you’ll see Emmett Till’s casket at the African
American museum

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/painful-but-crucial-why-youll-see-emmett-tills-casket-at-the-african-american-museum/2016/08/18/66d1dc2e-484b-11e6-acbc-4d4870a079da_story.html?tid=sm_fb

Is This a Portrait of One of the World’s Most Influential Philosophers?
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/portrait-one-worlds-most-influential-philosophers-180960164/

*Archaeology*

Lost cities #1: Babylon – how war almost erased ‘mankind’s greatest
heritage site’

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/aug/08/lost-cities-1-babylon-iraq-war-history-mankind-greatest-heritage-site

Lost cities #6: how Thonis-Heracleion resurfaced after 1,000 years under
water

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/aug/15/lost-cities-6-thonis-heracleion-egypt-sunken-sea

Archaeologists uncover one of the richest graves of Bronze Age Cyprus ever
found

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/08/2016/archaeologists-uncover-one-of-the-richest-graves-of-bronze-age-cyprus-ever-found

High-tech imaging reveals rare precolonial Mexican manuscript hidden from
view for 500 years

http://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/news/2016/08/high-tech-imaging-reveals-rare-precolonial-mexican-manuscript-hidden-from-view-for-500-years

Hungary: Unearthing Suleiman the Magnificent's tomb

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2016/08/hungary-unearthing-suleiman-magnificent-tomb-160814120849950.html

Dig Underway in Poland for Nazi 'Ghost' Train Full of Gold and Treasures

https://gma.yahoo.com/dig-underway-poland-nazi-ghost-train-full-gold-142007209--abc-news-topstories.html

Researchers validate ancient astronomical structures

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-validate-ancient-astronomical.html

Wreckage found off Cape Canaveral linked to lost French colony of Fort
Caroline

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2016-08-17/story/wreckage-found-cape-canaveral-linked-lost-french-colony-fort-caroline

Los Olivos: ancient discovery revisited

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-olivos-ancient-discovery-revisited-110230

Mosque from Early Islam Discovered in Saudi Arabia

http://english.aawsat.com/2016/08/article55356621/mosque-early-islam-discovered-saudi-arabia

Archaeologists find rare Native American artifacts in Willamette Valley

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2016/08/archaeologists_find_rare_nativ.html

No, That Ancient Mausoleum Is Not the 'World's 1st Pyramid'

http://www.livescience.com/55796-ancient-mausoleum-not-worlds-first-pyramid.html

*Egyptology*

Nothing to report

*General Science*

Researchers resolve a problem that has been holding back a technological
revolution

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-problem-technological-revolution.html

Scientists uncover origin of high-temperature superconductivity in
copper-oxide compound

*http://phys.org/news/2016-08-scientists-uncover-high-temperature-superconductivity-copper-oxide.html
<http://phys.org/news/2016-08-scientists-uncover-high-temperature-superconductivity-copper-oxide.html>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Cassini finds flooded canyons on Titan

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-cassini-canyons-titan.html

Mystery object in weird orbit beyond Neptune cannot be explained

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2100700-mystery-object-in-weird-orbit-beyond-neptune-cannot-be-explained/?cmpid=SOC|NSNS|2016-Echobox&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1471253206

Genesis in a jar: How chemical gardens may lead us to alien life

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2100538-genesis-in-a-jar-how-chemical-gardens-may-lead-us-to-alien-life/?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1471260275

Astronomers Are On A Celestial Treasure Hunt. The Prize? Planet Nine

http://www.npr.org/2016/08/13/489815076/astronomers-are-on-a-celestial-treasure-hunt-the-prize-planet-nine?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160813

In 250 million years Earth might only have one continent

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20160729-in-250-million-years-earth-might-only-have-one-continent

Spacewalkers attach new docking port to station

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/spacewalkers-attach-new-docking-port-to-station/

Aeolus space laser catches a following wind

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37133834

>From Solo Cup to an asteroid: NASA's newest space mission

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-solo-cup-asteroid-nasa-space.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Sodium-ion full battery's energy density approaches that of lithium-ion
batteries

https://techxplore.com/news/2016-08-sodium-ion-full-battery-energy-density.html

It's time we all became eco-warriors for water

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23130863-100-its-time-we-all-became-ecowarriors-for-water/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Facebook&utm_term=Autofeed&cmpid=SOC%7cNSNS%7c2016-Echobox

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

New “Bionic” Leaf Is Roughly 10 Times More Efficient Than Natural
Photosynthesis

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/new-bionic-leaf-is-roughly-10-times-more-efficient-than-natural-photosynthesis/

*Other*

Giant helium-filled airship Airlander takes off for first time

http://phys.org/news/2016-08-giant-helium-filled-airship-airlander.html

20 Big Questions about the Future of Humanity

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/20-big-questions-about-the-future-of-humanity/

Additional Informational

Initiative for Resiliency in Energy through Vehicles

http://naseo.org/irev?utm_source=NASEO%27s+iREV+Case+Studies+Highlight+the+Importance+of+Fuel+Diversification+to+Em&utm_campaign=Newsletter+-+September+17%2C+2014&utm_medium=email

TED Talk, Fascinating history Playlist

http://www.ted.com/playlists/318/fascinating_history?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_content=playlist&utm_term=humanities

Making a Mark on the Ocean Floor