[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 12-16-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 20:53:24 PST 2016

I will resume publication on Jan. 6th.

*Weekly Science Report*

*December 16, 2016*

*“Our nation was born in genocide when it embraced the doctrine that the
original American, the Indian, was an inferior race. Even before there were
large numbers of Negroes on our shore, the scar of racial hatred had
already disfigured colonial society. From the sixteenth century forward,
blood flowed in battles over racial supremacy. We are perhaps the only
nation which tried as a matter of national policy to wipe out its
indigenous population. Moreover, we elevated that tragic experience into a
noble crusade. Indeed, even today we have not permitted ourselves to reject
or feel remorse for this shameful episode. Our literature, our films, our
drama, our folklore all exalts it. Our children are still taught to respect
the violence which reduced a red-skinned people of an earlier culture into
a few fragmented groups herded into impoverished reservations.”*
Martin Luther King Jr.

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Ancient One Could Return Home ‘In a Matter of Weeks’

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/history/traditional-societies/kennewick-man-return-home-matter-weeks/

Jersey was a must-see tourist destination for Neanderthals for over 100,000
years

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/12/161212133444.htm

Why Don't Men Have Penis Bones?

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/mens-health/new-study-explains-why-men-don-t-have-penis-bones-n696616?cid=sm_fb

Fossil footprints tell story of human origins

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-38289960

'World's oldest rock drawings' uncovered in Iran by archaeologist

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/world-oldest-rock-drawings-archaeologist-iran-khomeyn-mohammed-naserifard-a7470321.html

*History*

In 1898, Satisfying A National Appetite For War

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126285238

High In Bolivian Mountains, 2 Massachusetts Men Pursue Mystery of Flight 980

http://www.npr.org/2016/12/11/504971936/high-in-bolivian-mountains-2-massachusetts-men-pursue-mystery-of-flight-980?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2039

Dozens of rare Islamic books seized at Cairo Airport on way to Doha
authentic

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/43/251047/Heritage/Islamic/Dozens-of-rare-Islamic-books-seized-at-Cairo-Airpo.aspx?platform=hootsuite

A dark century's blackest cloud

http://www.economist.com/node/3352737?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/adarkcenturysblackestcloud

New viral video series reveals the ‘Secret Life of Muslims’

http://www.timesofisrael.com/new-viral-video-series-reveals-the-secret-life-of-muslims/

Greenland's receding icecap to expose top-secret US nuclear project

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/sep/27/receding-icecap-top-secret-us-nuclear-project-greenland-camp-century-project-iceworm?CMP=share_btn_fb

Anne Frank may not have been betrayed to Nazis, study finds

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/dec/17/anne-frank-may-not-have-been-betrayed-to-nazis-study-finds

How Journalists Covered the Rise of Mussolini and Hitler
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-journalists-covered-rise-mussolini-hitler-180961407/

Emergency in Mali as looters are plundering ancient treasures

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2116243-emergency-in-mali-as-looters-are-plundering-ancient-treasures/

Congress Passes Holocaust Expropriated Art Recovery Act

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/congress-ww2-art-retribution-vote-779726

Endangered Syrian documents taken into safekeeping at the National Archives
of Finland

http://www.minedu.fi/OPM/Tiedotteet/2016/12/syyria.html?lang=fi&extra_locale=en

In Search of King Arthur's Roots

http://discovermagazine.com/2017/janfeb/91-in-search-of-king-arthur-roots

Emmett Till bill could pave way for reopening more civil rights cold cases

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/12/13/emmett-till-bill-could-pave-way-reopening-more-civil-rights-cold-cases/95400784/

The Town That Forgot About Its Japanese Internment Camp

http://www.citylab.com/politics/2016/12/should-this-town-save-its-japanese-internment-camp/509933/

A student asked Ken Burns what to do in Trump’s America. He gave her this
advice.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/act-four/wp/2016/12/15/a-student-asked-ken-burns-what-to-do-in-trumps-america-he-gave-her-this-advice/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.e7781ab26e84

The islands in the way of WW2 peace deal between Russia and Japan

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-38311651?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Rice farming in India much older than thought, used as 'summer crop' by
Indus civilization

https://www.harappa.com/blog/rice-farming-india-much-older-thought-used-summer-crop-indus-civilization

New Evidence for Early Silk in the Indus Civilization

https://www.harappa.com/content/new-evidence-early-silk-indus-civilization

Aboriginal woman’s slaying exposes Australia’s racial divide

http://www.staradvertiser.com/2016/12/15/breaking-news/aboriginal-womans-slaying-exposes-australias-racial-divide/

A brief history of the times the US meddled in others' elections

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/a-brief-history-of-the-times-the-us-meddled-in-others-elections/ar-AAly7DJ

*Archaeology*

Time Capsule Buried by Paul Revere and Sam Adams Discovered in Boston

http://www.history.com/news/time-capsule-buried-by-paul-revere-and-sam-adams-discovered-in-boston?cmpid=Social_FBPAGE_HISTORY_20161213_721058399

Kotla's Ashoka pillar, over 2,000 years old, suffers heavy damage

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/delhi/Kotlas-Ashoka-pillar-over-2000-years-old-suffers-heavy-damage/articleshow/55763120.cms?platform=hootsuite

ASI approaches Home Guards to protect artefacts

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/ASI-approaches-Home-Guards-to-protect-artefacts/articleshow/55861386.cms?platform=hootsuite

Swedes and Brits unearth lost ancient city in Greece

http://www.thelocal.se/20161212/swedish-archaeologists-unearth-lost-ancient-city-in-greece

Archaeology project sets sights on sea-level, finds flood of work to do

http://jacksonville.com/news/2016-12-10/archaeology-project-sets-sights-sea-level-finds-flood-work-do

Somerset skeletons are oldest evidence of monks found in UK

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2016/dec/05/somerset-skeletons-are-oldest-evidence-of-monks-found-in-uk?utm_content=buffer9f153&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Archaeology sheds light on Mongolia’s uncertain nomadic future

https://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2016/dec/07/archaeology-sheds-light-on-mongolias-uncertain-nomadic-future

Amid Evacuation, Aleppo Begins Assessment of Destruction of Cultural
Heritage

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/aleppo-evacuation-destruction-cultural-heritage-784538

*Egyptology*

Nothing to report

*General Science*

The High-Tech Battle Against Pirates

*http://www.popsci.com/high-tech-battle-fighting-pirates?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=584d560719d6ba0007d0f433&utm_medium=&utm_source
<http://www.popsci.com/high-tech-battle-fighting-pirates?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=584d560719d6ba0007d0f433&utm_medium=&utm_source>=*

Google’s Boston Dynamics is thinking about using its dog robots to deliver
things to your doorstep

*http://qz.com/859443/googles-boston-dynamics-is-thinking-about-using-its-dog-robots-to-deliver-things-to-your-doorstep/
<http://qz.com/859443/googles-boston-dynamics-is-thinking-about-using-its-dog-robots-to-deliver-things-to-your-doorstep/>*

Google’s AI Are Sending Encrypted Messages to One Another That No One Can
Decipher

*http://trendintech.com/2016/12/09/googles-ai-are-sending-encrypted-messages-to-one-another-that-no-one-can-decipher/
<http://trendintech.com/2016/12/09/googles-ai-are-sending-encrypted-messages-to-one-another-that-no-one-can-decipher/>*

This Language-Teaching Device Constantly Whispers Lessons In Your Ear

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/language-teaching-device-constantly-whispers-lessons-your-ear-180961470/?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

China's deep spacecraft will be guided by X-ray pulses from distant stars

http://www.popsci.com/chinas-launches-first-x-ray-navigation-system

10 prominent early astronauts carrying on US space history

https://apnews.com/3582a9afb9d946c98df1f63a289de773

Target Earth: The Next Extinction from Space

http://discovermagazine.com/2016/sept/9-death-from-above

A Strong Signal From A Neighboring Solar System Has E.T. Seekers Speculating

http://www.popsci.com/strong-signal-from-neighboring-solar-system-has-et-seekers-speculating?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=584f6c6cb8a9fe0007d82482&utm_medium=&utm_source
=

NASA wants SpaceX to prove it can land on Mars before the space agency
sends its tech

http://www.blastr.com/2016-12-15/nasa-wants-spacex-prove-it-can-land-mars-space-agency-sends-its-tech?__source=Blastr_True_Anthem_Blastr_Facebook&utm_campaign=trueAnthem:+Trending+Content&utm_content=5853126304d30135a0818995&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

WATCH: NASA Rocket Deploys 'Satellite Constellation' After Unique Air-Launch

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/15/505701630/watch-nasa-rocket-deploys-satellite-constellation-after-unique-air-launch?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2043

Big Diamonds Bring Scientists A Message From Superdeep Earth

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/15/505386423/big-diamonds-bring-scientists-a-message-from-superdeep-earth?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2043

Buzz Aldrin: John Glenn was a hero. We owe it to him to keep exploring
space.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/12/15/buzz-aldrin-john-glenn-was-a-hero-we-owe-it-to-him-to-keep-exploring-space/?postshare=3201481821531653&tid=ss_tw&utm_term=.d61422745c4e

SpaceX Finally Knows What Caused its Falcon 9 Rocket to Explode

http://www.popsci.com/spacex-falcon-9-explosion-reason?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=584e6136b8a9fe00077aa210&utm_medium=&utm_source
=

Search for Alien Life Needs Human Mars Missions, NASA Chief Scientist Says

http://www.nbcnews.com/mach/space/search-alien-life-needs-human-mars-missions-nasa-chief-scientist-n694046?cid=sm_fb

Lab technology on board space weather monitoring satellite

https://www.llnl.gov/news/lab-technology-board-space-weather-monitoring-satellite

Curiosity Rover Encounters Technical Difficulties On Martian Mountain

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/13/505466073/curiosity-rover-encounters-technical-difficulties-on-martian-mountain?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2041

At Close of 'Planet Earth 2', Sir David Attenborough Delivers Powerful
Message

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/david-attenborough-turtles-planet-earth-rescue/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=global&utm_campaign=general-content&linkId=32330987

Ancient Mars Could Have Harbored Life for a Long, Long Time

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/ancient-mars-could-have-harbored-life-for-a-long-long-time/

Solar System's Biggest Asteroid Is an Ancient Ocean World

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/solar-systems-biggest-asteroid-is-an-ancient-ocean-world1/?WT.mc_id=SA_FB_SPC_NEWS

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

The power of sunlight can pull clean drinking water from thin air

http://www.popsci.com/this-machine-turns-sunshine-and-air-into-clean-water?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=584cad4fb8a9fe000ba42a53&utm_medium=&utm_source
=

Computer Models Show What Exactly Would Happen To Earth After A Nuclear War

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/computer-models-show-what-exactly-would-happen-earth-after-nuclear-war?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=584d47f7b8a9fe0007140f0a&utm_medium=&utm_source
=

New Thermoelectric Paint Could Power Your Home

http://www.seeker.com/paint-can-power-your-home-2104865063.html?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=dnewssocial

First U.S. offshore wind farm spins to life

https://www.boston.com/news/local-news/2016/12/14/first-u-s-offshore-wind-farm-spins-to-life?s_campaign=bcom%3Asocialflow%3Afacebook

Surge in methane emissions threatens efforts to slow climate change

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-surge-methane-emissions-threatens-efforts.html

US Defense official: Chinese warship stole US underwater drone

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/16/politics/chinese-warship-underwater-drone-stolen/index.html

Bill Gates And Billionaire Buddies Invest $1 Billion In Clean Energy Fund
To Fight Climate Change

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bill-gates-climate-change-venture-fund_us_584e9119e4b04c8e2bb07424?section=politics&

Solar sees more interest after Amendment 1 failure

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-solar-energy-providers-20161208-story.html

Mitigating the risk of geoengineering: Aerosols could cool the planet
without ozone damage

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-mitigating-geoengineering-aerosols-cool-planet.html

World’s first city to power its water needs with sewage energy

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2114761-worlds-first-city-to-power-its-water-needs-with-sewage-energy/?cmpid=SOC|NSNS|2016-Echobox&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1481633115

Warming global temperatures may not affect carbon stored deep in northern
peatlands, study says

http://phys.org/news/2016-12-global-temperatures-affect-carbon-deep.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

‘Silent extinction’: Giraffes listed as a vulnerable species after 30-year
population plunge

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/12/08/silent-extinction-giraffes-listed-as-a-vulnerable-species-after-30-year-population-plunge/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.6e0095d12cc6

Scientists Grow Full-Sized, Beating Human Hearts From Stem Cells

http://www.popsci.com/scientists-grow-transplantable-hearts-with-stem-cells?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=584d6416a167da0007bed599&utm_medium=&utm_source
=

The hospital of the future may be a tiny, high-tech medical kit

http://www.popsci.com/doctor-future-may-be-personal-high-tech-medical-box

*Other*

'Mystery Monster' Found in Siberian Mine

http://www.seeker.com/mystery-monster-found-in-siberian-diamond-mine-1966957258.html?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=dnewssocial

Additional Informational

TED Talk, Why curiosity is the key to science and medicine

https://www.ted.com/talks/kevin_b_jones_why_curiosity_is_the_key_to_science_and_medicine

TED Talk, 10 ways the world could end- Video

http://www.ted.com/talks/stephen_petranek_counts_down_to_armageddon?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=science