[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 1-29-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 08:14:14 PST 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*January 29, 2016*

*“Go to the people. Learn from them. Live with them. Start with what they
know. Build with what they have. The best of leaders when the job is done,
when the task is accomplished, the people will say we have done it
ourselves.” *Lao Tzu

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Artists complete replica of Lascaux prehistoric cave paintings

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/12108400/Artists-complete-replica-of-Lascaux-prehistoric-cave-paintings.html

Ancient extinction of giant Australian bird points to humans

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-ancient-extinction-giant-australian-bird.html

New research into the origins of the Austronesian languages

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-01/uoh-nri012816.php

Ancient rodent's brain was big ... but not necessarily 'smart'

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-01/uot-arb012716.php

Research team identifies rare dinosaur from Appalachia

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-01/fsu-rti012516.php

Error Found in Study of First Ancient African Genome

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/error-found-in-study-of-first-ancient-african-genome/

*East Asia makes a comeback in the human evolution stakes*

https://theconversation.com/columns/darren-curnoe-2101

Ancient humans dispersed through Arabia during greener times

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/winter-2015-2016/article/ancient-humans-dispersed-through-arabia-during-greener-times

Genetic history of present-day Indians

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/winter-2015-2016/article/genetic-history-of-present-day-indians

*History*

Signs of Modern Astronomy Seen in Ancient Babylon

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/29/science/babylonians-clay-tablets-geometry-astronomy-jupiter.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=1

The long history of Muslims and Christians killing people together

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/01/25/the-long-history-of-muslims-and-christians-killing-people-together/?tid=sm_fb

Remember the name Nate Parker. You’re going to hear it a lot when ‘Birth of
a Nation’ premieres.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/01/26/remember-the-name-nate-parker-youre-going-to-hear-it-a-lot-when-birth-of-a-nation-premieres/?tid=sm_fb

U.S. Nazi hunter has one active case

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/27/politics/nazi-hunter-eli-rosenbaum/index.html?sr=fbCNN012716/politics/nazi-hunter-eli-rosenbaum1236PMStoryLink&linkId=20707233

How Scientists Know When The Last Big Earthquake Happened Here

http://www.opb.org/news/series/unprepared/jan-26-1700-how-scientists-know-when-the-last-big-earthquake-happened-here/#.VqhPaOSWNWg.twitter

In Mapping the Holocaust, a Horrifying Lesson in Nazi “Paths to Persecution”

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/in-mapping-the-holocaust-a-horrifying-lesson-in-nazi-paths-to-persecution/

Film: Survivors' kin tell Holocaust stories

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/01/27/holocaust-war-survivors-family-stories/79404402/

Pardon Plea by Adolf Eichmann, Nazi War Criminal, Is Made Public

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pardon-plea-by-adolf-eichmann-nazi-war-criminal-is-made-public/ar-BBoLRpQ

Covering up nude statues: Iranians say thanks but no thanks to Italy

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-35423028?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbctrending&ns_source=facebook

How Did a Spanish Axe Wind Up in Toronto 100 Years Before Europeans?

https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/07/09/how-did-spanish-axe-wind-toronto-100-years-europeans-122571

Stalin 'used secret laboratory to analyse Mao's excrement'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-35427926?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

500 years after reformation, Pope knocks on Lutherans' door

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-visit-sweden-october-mark-reformation-anniversary-113851358.html

Spanish missions triggered Native American population collapse, indirect
impact on climate

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-01/smu-smt012616.php

How Zildjian Cymbals Made It From the Ottoman Empire to Now
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/arts-culture/how-zildjian-cymbals-made-it-from-the-ottoma/

*Archaeology*

Illegal dumping in Roman catacombs leaves precious ancient site polluted

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jan/26/illegal-dumping-in-roman-catacombs-leaves-precious-ancient-site-polluted

Iran Urges UNESCO Push to Protect Cultural Heritage in Syria, Iraq

http://ht.ly/XEBxR

Partying for Palmyra: A Davos party with a difference

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35383436

The Antiquities Coalition Releases Interactive Map of Culture Under Threat

http://savingantiquities.org/the-antiquities-coalition-releases-map-of-culture-under-threat/

Revolutionary War treasure unearthed by N.J. church

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/01/26/revolutionary-war-treasure-unearthed-nj-church/79332906/?utm_source=feedblitz&utm_medium=FeedBlitzRss&utm_campaign=usatodaycomnation-topstories

Syrian Refugees Build Miniatures of Endangered and Destroyed Landmarks

http://ht.ly/XzPpf

China's Great Wall Is Crumbling In Many Places; Can It Be Saved?

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/01/27/464421353/chinas-great-wall-is-crumbling-in-many-places-can-it-be-saved?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160127

Deploying Technology to Rescue the Past

http://ht.ly/XEBMk

Discovery of Burial Ground Backs a Less Conventional Version of Harlem’s
History

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/nyregion/discovery-of-burial-ground-backs-a-less-conventional-version-of-harlems-history.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-3&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=1

Inscriptions on Sharjah tomb prove Oman kingdom existed in third century BC

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/inscriptions-on-sharjah-tomb-prove-oman-kingdom-existed-in-third-century-bc

‘Fujizuka’ mound in Shizuoka dates to Edo Period, survey shows

http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/social_affairs/AJ201601290004

Archaeologists uncover surprising secret in Bristol Cathedral’s first dig
for more than 150 years
http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Archaeologists-uncover-surprising-secret-Bristol/story-28593821-detail/story.html

Research reveals K’omoks people’s advanced fishing methods a thousand years
ago http://www.comoxvalleyecho.com/news/366202521.html   Study overturns
prevailing ideas about sacrifices at Tenochtitlan
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/entertainment/2016/01/25/study-overturns-prevailing-ideas-about-sacrifices-at-tenochtitlan/

*Egyptology*

Nothing to report

*General Science*

Mark Zuckerberg says there's nothing to fear from artificial intelligence

*http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/27/technology/mark-zuckerberg-artificial-intelligence/index.html?sr=fbCNN012716mark-zuckerberg-artificial-intelligence1116PMStoryLink&linkId=20731042
<http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/27/technology/mark-zuckerberg-artificial-intelligence/index.html?sr=fbCNN012716mark-zuckerberg-artificial-intelligence1116PMStoryLink&linkId=20731042>*

London's first driverless cars based on Heathrow 'pods'

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35432687?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

Cyborgs Evolving in the US Military

*http://news.discovery.com/tech/robotics/cyborgs-evolving-in-the-us-military-160129.htm
<http://news.discovery.com/tech/robotics/cyborgs-evolving-in-the-us-military-160129.htm>*

MIT wins design competition for Elon Musk's Hyperloop

*http://phys.org/news/2016-01-mit-competition-elon-musk-hyperloop.html
<http://phys.org/news/2016-01-mit-competition-elon-musk-hyperloop.html>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Lonely planet: Astronomers find galaxy's largest solar system

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/27/world/lonely-planet-largest-solar-system/index.html?sr=fbCNN012816lonely-planet-largest-solar-system0233AMStoryLink&linkId=20733754

This Millennial Might Be the New Einstein

http://www.ozy.com/rising-stars/this-millennial-might-be-the-new-einstein/65094?utm_source=TDB&utm_medium=pp&utm_campaign=pp&source=TDB&via=FB_Page

Explorer Dies Just Short Of Goal: Crossing The Antarctic Unaided

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/01/25/464274120/explorer-dies-just-short-of-goal-crossing-the-antarctic-unaided?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160125

NASA Remembers Fallen Heroes This Week, 30 Years After Challenger Tragedy

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2016/01/nasa-remembers-fallen-heroes-this-week-30-years-after-challenger-tragedy/

A Space Station, With Surveillance Cameras for Hire

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/business/international/a-space-station-with-surveillance-cameras-for-hire.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

How to build a starship – and why we should start thinking about it now

https://theconversation.com/how-to-build-a-starship-and-why-we-should-start-thinking-about-it-now-53417

This Is Why No One Can Own the Moon

http://time.com/4193801/outer-space-treaty-moon/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

NASA remembers astronauts killed, pledges to reach Mars (Update)

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-nasa-astronauts-pledges-mars.html

The mysterious cataclysmic variable star Mu Centauri

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-mysterious-cataclysmic-variable-star-mu.html

Heavy fermions get nuclear boost on way to superconductivity

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-heavy-fermions-nuclear-boost-superconductivity.html

Moon was produced by a head-on collision between Earth and a forming planet

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-moon-head-on-collision-earth-planet.html

Lift-off for Europe's space laser network

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35446894

Bringing time and space together for universal symmetry

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-space-universal-symmetry.html

Physicists split on ideas expressed in Hawking's latest black hole paper

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-physicists-ideas-hawking-latest-black.html

Why a new physics theory could rewrite the textbooks

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-physics-theory-rewrite-textbooks.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Paul Allen's Firm Working With Caymans Amid Reports Yacht Damaged Reef

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/paul-allen-s-firm-working-caymans-amid-reports-yacht-damaged-n506671?cid=sm_fb

Carbon dioxide captured from air can be directly converted into methanol
fuel

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-carbon-dioxide-captured-air-methanol.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Scientists open the ‘black box’ of schizophrenia with dramatic genetic
discovery

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/01/27/scientists-open-the-black-box-of-schizophrenia-with-dramatic-genetic-finding/?tid=sm_fb

Proton beam cancer therapy 'effective with fewer side effects'

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35440016

Dog Flu Virus Spreading Across The United States

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2016/01/29/464694381/dog-flu-virus-spreading-across-the-united-states

Octopuses Are Surprisingly Social--and Confrontational

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/octopuses-are-surprisingly-social-and-confrontational/

*Other*

Stephen Hawking: Disaster on Earth is Becoming a ‘Near Certainty’

http://time.com/4185253/stephen-hawking-disaster-earth/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

CIA Releases Secret UFO Files - Including Spaceships Over Britain In 1962

http://news.yahoo.com/cia-releases-secret-ufo-files-including-084750091.html

Additional Informational

High Commissioner Statement on International Day of Commemoration in Memory
of the Victims of the Holocaust, 27 January 2016

http://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=16989&LangID=E

Spotlight TEDx Talk: How do we preserve information in the digital age?

http://owl.li/XG2XV

Remarks at the UN Holocaust Memorial Ceremony on the International Day of
Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust

http://usun.state.gov/remarks/7109

Frontline, Memory of the Camps

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/memory-of-the-camps/

*Star Trek Axanar: *http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar

Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar