[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 7-29-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 13:02:57 PDT 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*July 29, 2016*

*“If we start now and make the effort, we can make the world a more
peaceful place. We have to try. The human population is growing and climate
change is having its effect. Violence breaks out because our destructive
emotions run out of control. Human rights violations, for example, are
related to anger and a lack of respect. We can counter these tendencies by
cultivating warm-heartedness and concern for others.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles

*Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

New fossil evidence supports theory that first mass extinction engineered
by early animals

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-fossil-evidence-theory-mass-extinction.html

Mystery ancient human ancestor found in Australasian family tree

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2098566-mystery-ancient-human-ancestor-found-in-australasian-family-tree/

Universal ancestor of all life on Earth was only half alive

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2098564-universal-ancestor-of-all-life-on-earth-was-only-half-alive/

Cancer on a Paleo-diet? Ask someone who lived 1.7 million years ago

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-cancer-paleo-diet-million-years.html

There's No Controversy: Let's Stop Failing Our Children on Evolution

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/07/28/487737404/there-s-no-controversy-lets-stop-failing-our-children-on-evolution?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160728

DNA analyses reveal genetic identities of world's first farmers

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-07/hms-dar072516.php

Archaeologists Study Sustainable Oyster Harvesting

http://www.archaeology.org/news/4686-160729-chesapeake-bay-oysters

8,000-year-old cave paintings found in Turkey’s Balıkesir

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/Default.aspx?pageID=238&nid=102139&NewsCatID=375

Ancient underwater city at risk

http://www.ekathimerini.com/210812/article/ekathimerini/life/ancient-underwater-city-at-risk

Patchy oxygen in ocean may have stalled evolution

http://www.futurity.org/evolution-oxygen-oceans-1212232-2/

Archaeologists uncover earliest farming activity recorded in Scotland so far

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/07/2016/archaeologists-uncover-earliest-farming-activity-recorded-in-scotland-so-far

*History*

Glasgow’s first monument to William Wallace unveiled

http://www.scotsman.com/glasgow/glasgow-s-first-monument-to-william-wallace-unveiled-1-4174351?utm_content=buffer6cc0f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The Bomb That Rocked San Francisco 100 Years Ago

http://time.com/4411324/san-francisco-1916-bombing-preparedness-day-parade-anniversary-centennial/

How 2 Muslim Women Built the World’s Oldest Library

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/muslim-women-worlds-oldest-library-travel-morocco/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=global&utm_campaign=general-content&linkId=27006877

How the hunt for D.B. Cooper made an aging Vietnam veteran the target of TV
sleuths

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/how-the-hunt-for-db-cooper-made-an-aging-vietnam-veteran-the-target-of-tv-sleuths/2016/07/27/66b24736-492e-11e6-bdb9-701687974517_story.html?tid=sm_fb

United States Holocaust Memorial Museum Declares “Genocide Emergency” in
Sudan

https://www.ushmm.org/information/press/press-releases/united-states-holocaust-memorial-museum-declares-genocide-emergency-in-suda?utm_content=sf4963382&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=US+Holocaust+Memorial+Museum&sf4963382=1&sf31739290=1

These 4 Women From Saudi Arabia Join Olympics, Making History

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/saudi-arabia-women-olympics-competition/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_content=global&utm_campaign=general-content&linkId=27096230

My Turn: I am a Muslim; see me for who I am

http://www.concordmonitor.com/Muslim-religion-Islamophobes-3712624

Muslim woman shares touching story of stranger’s empathy, compassion

https://www.yahoo.com/news/muslim-american-woman-shares-touching-story-of-strangers-empathy-compassion-190608320.html

Durham Cathedral opens hidden treasures and spaces to public

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/21/durham-cathedral-opens-hidden-treasures-and-spaces-to-public?utm_content=buffer7e05e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

India Will Become the World’s Most Populous Country by 2022, the U.N. Says

http://time.com/3978175/india-population-worlds-most-populous-country/?iid=sr-link6&xid=time_socialflow_facebook

Indian Muslim women defy tradition - and men - to be judges

http://news.trust.org/item/20160720020101-ofqeg/

*Beyond Anne Frank: Dutch tell their full Holocaust story*

http://www.bendbulletin.com/nation/4510172-151/beyond-anne-frank-dutch-tell-their-full-holocaust

Why European Islam’s current problems might reflect a 100-year-old mistake

http://www.economist.com/blogs/erasmus/2016/07/ottoman-caliphs?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/theottomancaliphswhyeuropeanislamscurrentproblemsmightreflecta100yearoldmistake

Experts Reveal the True Hidden Message in Leonardo Da Vinci’s ‘The Last
Supper’

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/true-hidden-message-da-vinci-last-supper-581756

Ancient art of brick making gives brightness to war-stricken Yemen

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/5/35/236170/Arts--Culture/Stage--Street/Ancient-art-of-brick-making-gives-brightness-to-wa.aspx

Pope, at Auschwitz, asks God to forgive 'so much cruelty'

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-poland-auschwitz-idUSKCN109142?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

Ancient feces provides earliest evidence of infectious disease being
carried on Silk Road

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-07/uoc-afp071916.php

Learn to Be a Viking (Without the Pillaging) in Ribe, Denmark
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/learn-be-viking-ribe-denmark-180959707/

How Do Smithsonian Curators Decide What to Collect at the Political
Conventions?
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/how-do-curators-decide-what-collect-political-conventions-180959937/

Sarah Winnemucca Devoted Her Life to Protecting Native Americans in the
Face of an Expanding United States
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/sarah-winnemucca-devoted-life-protecting-lives-native-americans-face-expanding-united-states-180959930/

Did ancient Polynesians visit California? Maybe so. / Scholars revive idea
using linguistic ties, Indian headdress

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/Did-ancient-Polynesians-visit-California-Maybe-2661327.php?cmpid=fb-desktop

Extra Fingers and Toes Were Revered in Ancient Culture

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/07/chaco-canyon-pueblo-bonito-social-implications-polydactyly-extra-toes/

Paracas’ elongated skulls changing known history

http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-paracas-elongated-skulls-changing-history-110054

How Ancient Polynesian Sailors Navigated the Ocean

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a22061/polynesian-stick-chart/

National Museum of Oman opens in Muscat

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/museums/national-museum-of-oman-opens-in-muscat/

*Archaeology*

EU countries failing to protect cultural heritage

https://www.euractiv.com/section/languages-culture/news/eu-countries-failing-to-protect-cultural-heritage/?platform=hootsuite

Antiquities in the Art Market

http://savingantiquities.org/antiquities-art-market/?platform=hootsuite

Conservation of wooden prisoners’ barracks of Birkenau completed

http://auschwitz.org/en/museum/news/conservation-of-wooden-prisoners-barracks-of-birkenau-completed,1210.html

Ancient city ruins in Tokat to undergo renewed excavations

http://www.dailysabah.com/history/2016/07/18/ancient-city-ruins-in-tokat-to-undergo-renewed-excavations

How Historic Preservation Can Drive Examination of Racial Inequality

https://nextcity.org/daily/entry/green-book-project-historic-preservation-sites

Pokémon Go Stop on Sacred Burial Site Infuriates Indigenous People

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/07/26/pokemon-go-stop-sacred-burial-site-infuriates-indigenous-people-165264

Tracing Alaska's Russian Heritage

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/alaska-russian-heritage-smithsonian-journeys-travel-quarterly-180959449/?utm_content=buffer63ba3&no-ist

Citizens map out Gaza’s history

http://ht.ly/VCr6302CUyj

As Storms Erode California's Cliffs, Buried Village Could Get Washed Away

http://www.npr.org/2016/07/26/486471614/as-storms-erode-californias-cliffs-buried-village-could-get-washed-away

US tourist spends night on roof of Milan's Duomo cathedral

https://www.yahoo.com/news/us-tourist-spends-night-roof-milans-duomo-cathedral-113836406.html

The Forbidden City’s 600-year-old plumbing keeps it dry as the rest of
China floods

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/07/29/the-forbidden-citys-600-year-old-plumbing-keeps-it-dry-as-the-rest-of-china-floods/?tid=sm_fb

Archeological projects start to dig up secrets at the Alamo

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-texas-alamo-idUSKCN1002S9

Lost City of Pteria finally unearthed in Turkey’s Yozgat

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/lost-city-of-pteria-finally-unearthed-in-turkeys-yozgat.aspx?pageID=238&nid=102105

Prehistoric Village Likely Torched by Bronze-Age Warriors

http://www.livescience.com/55549-bronze-age-village-burned-by-warriors.html

Will a Hidden Treasure Chamber Discovered Under Machu Picchu Finally Be
Revealed?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimdobson/2016/07/26/will-a-hidden-treasure-chamber-discovered-under-machu-picchu-finally-be-revealed/#217081d438b0

Archaeologists Find 40,000-Year-Old Rope-Making Tool in Germany

http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/rope-making-tool-germany-04047.html

Remains of lost Spanish fort found on South Carolina coast

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-lost-spanish-fort-south-carolina.html

*Egyptology*

Mummified Egyptian Was Just As Sedentary and Carb-Hungry As Modern Men

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/26/487505112/mummified-egyptian-was-just-as-sedentary-and-carb-hungry-as-modern-men

Historic archeological discovery of Egyptian statue unearthed in Tel-Hazor

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Historic-archeological-discovery-of-Egyptian-statue-unearthed-in-Tel-Hazor-462312

Poles have solved the riddle of defensive structures of the Middle Nile

http://scienceinpoland.pap.pl/en/news/news,410546,poles-have-solved-the-riddle-of-defensive-structures-of-the-middle-nile.html

*General Science*

Research team develops ultrathin, transparent oxide thin-film transistors
for wearable display

*http://phys.org/news/2016-07-team-ultrathin-transparent-oxide-thin-film.html
<http://phys.org/news/2016-07-team-ultrathin-transparent-oxide-thin-film.html>*

Vortex laser offers hope for Moore's Law

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-vortex-laser-law.html

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Scientists found something unexpected on Mars – and it could require us to
rethink the planet’s history

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/06/scientists-found-something-unexpected-on-mars-and-it-could-require-us-to-rethink-the-planet-s-history/?utm_content=buffer6a11c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

NASA Spaceship Captures Epic Shot of Moon Passing In Front of the Earth

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nasa-spaceship-captures-epic-shot-of-moon-passing-072105645.html

NASA orders second space station ferry ship from SpaceX

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-orders-second-spacex-space-station-ferry-ship/

Jupiter's great red spot heats planet's upper atmosphere

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-jupiter-great-red-planet-upper.html

The role of magnetic fields in star formation

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-role-magnetic-fields-star-formation.html

Cataclysm at Meteor Crater: Crystal sheds light on Earth, moon, Mars

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-cataclysm-meteor-crater-crystal-earth.html

‘Eye of Horus’ lens system involves three galaxies

http://www.futurity.org/gravitational-lensing-eye-of-horus-1214892-2/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Bacteria made to turn sewage into clean water – and electricity

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg23130840-100-bacteria-made-to-turn-sewage-into-clean-water-and-electricity/?utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Facebook&utm_term=Autofeed&cmpid=SOC%7cNSNS%7c2016-Echobox

Israel Proves the Desalination Era is Here

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/israel-proves-the-desalination-era-is-here/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_ENGYSUS_NEWS

CO2 can be stored underground for 10 times the length needed to avoid
climatic impact: study

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-co2-underground-length-climatic-impact.html

Breakthrough solar cell captures carbon dioxide and sunlight, produces
burnable fuel

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-breakthrough-solar-cell-captures-carbon.html

Chernobyl Might Become a Solar Farm

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a22112/chernobyl-solar-farm/

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Novel 'repair system' discovered in algae may yield new tools for
biotechnology

http://phys.org/news/2016-07-algae-yield-tools-biotechnology.html

Harnessing the Immune System to Fight Cancer

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/31/health/harnessing-the-immune-system-to-fight-cancer.html?smid=fb-share&_r=1

Human-Like Speech Seen In Orangutans For The First Time
<https://www.newscientist.com/article/2099090-orangutan-learns-to-mimic-human-conversation-for-the-first-time/>

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/evolution/human-like-speech-seen-in-orangutans-for-the-first-time/

HIV therapy for breastfeeding mothers can virtually eliminate transmission
to babies

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/hiv-therapy-breastfeeding-mothers-can-virtually-eliminate-transmission-babies

When Whales Started Living Large

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/laelaps/when-whales-started-living-large/#
<http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/laelaps/when-whales-started-living-large/>

Death spiral: 4th phase of life may signal the end is near

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/death-spiral-4th-phase-of-life-may-signal-the-end-is-near/

Testing confirms mysterious, rarely seen species of whale in Pacific Ocean

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/testing-confirms-mysterious-rarely-seen-species-of-whale-in-pacific-ocean/

Poll on Human Enhancement Shows Divided Public

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/602031/poll-on-human-enhancement-shows-divided-public/?set=602042

Artificial Pancreas Is First To Raise $1 Million Under New Crowdfunding
Rules

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601999/artificial-pancreas-is-first-to-raise-1-million-under-new-crowdfunding-rules/?set=602042

A Portable Factory Uses Yeast To Make Drugs On Demand

http://www.popsci.com/portable-biopharmaceutical-factory-could-change-how-remote-doctors-work

*Other*

Bizarre Proof to Torment Mathematicians for Years to Come

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bizarre-proof-to-torment-mathematicians-for-years-to-come/

Additional Informational

Talks to restore your faith in humanity

http://www.ted.com/playlists/216/talks_to_restore_your_faith_in_1?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=playlist&utm_term=humanities

Refugee Olympic Team to shine spotlight on worldwide refugee crisis- Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qx8kvu94PvI&feature=youtu.be

The Long Blue Line: Coast Guardsman Eliot Winslow, Nazi Johann-Heinrich
Fehler and the surrender of U-234 (Part 2)

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2016/07/the-long-blue-line-coast-guardsman-eliot-winslow-nazi-johann-heinrich-fehler-and-the-surrender-of-u-234-part-2/

6 Historical Figures Who May or May Not Have Existed

http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/6-historical-figures-who-may-or-may-not-have-existed?cmpid=Social_FBPAGE_HISTORY_20160730_529843702&linkId=27019497

The Mystery of Jane Wallis Burrell: The First CIA Officer to die in the
Agency’s Service

https://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2016-featured-story-archive/mystery-of-jane-wallis-burrell.html