[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report, March 4

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 16:59:52 PST 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*March 4, 2016*

*“The true meaning of Islam will not only focus on how Muslims worship but
also on who we are: mothers, fathers, spouses, students, neighbors,
friends.  People who smile with pride at their child’s first step; laugh
with friends over the old times; worry about exam results; cry at the sight
of our children in pain.  People just like you!”*

Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Kingdom of Jordan on being Muslim

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Scientists discover 8000-year-old tiny hand prints in ancient cave were NOT
made by humans

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/scientists-discover-8000-year-old-7470047

Neandertals may have used chemistry to start fires

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/02/neandertals-may-have-used-chemistry-start-fires

Controversy and Excitement Swirl around New Human Species

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/controversy-and-excitement-swirl-around-new-human-species/

*History*

A women-led mosque in Denmark is eager to challenge the patriarchy

http://qz.com/616573/a-women-led-mosque-in-denmark-is-eager-to-challenge-the-patriarchy/

7 Things You May Not Know About Malcolm X

http://www.history.com/news/7-things-you-may-not-know-about-malcolm-x?cmpid=Social_FBPAGE_HISTORY_20160221_371716839&linkId=21432115

Germany struggles with remnants of the Reich

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Europe/2016/0228/Germany-struggles-with-remnants-of-the-Reich

Treaty of Canandaigua Remains a Powerful Symbol of Native Sovereignty

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2011/07/22/treaty-canandaigua-remains-powerful-symbol-native-sovereignty-41971

Holocaust haunts Lithuanians as painful past comes to light

https://news.yahoo.com/holocaust-haunts-lithuanians-painful-past-comes-light-042543315.html

This Radical Librarian May Soon Run the World’s Largest Library

http://www.thenation.com/article/this-radical-librarian-may-soon-run-the-worlds-largest-library/?utm_content=buffer3c24d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

President Kennedy’s Florida nuke bunker could be shuttered

http://www.boston.com/news/2016/03/01/president-kennedy-florida-nuke-bunker-could-shuttered/Xd7gP9Wc8imhXV2nr2cqYI/story.html?s_campaign=bcom%3Asocialflow%3Afacebook

Museum of Lost Objects: Tell of Qarqur

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35696798

In the age of Trump, grim warnings from Holocaust survivors

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/in-the-age-of-trump-grim-warnings-from-holocaust-survivors/2016/01/27/c65ea38c-c549-11e5-8965-0607e0e265ce_story.html

Plan for Nazi-Era Arms Dealer’s Collection Sparks Backlash at Zurich Museum

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/arts/international/swiss-museum-faces-a-backlash.html?ref=international&_r=1

Germany to Continue Funding to Establish Provenance of Looted Art

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/04/arts/design/germany-to-continue-funding-to-establish-provenance-of-looted-art.html?smprod=nytcore-iphone&smid=nytcore-iphone-share

*Archaeology*

Sarah Parcak to Use TED Prize Money for Crowdsourcing on Archaeological
Sites

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/16/sarah-parcak-to-use-ted-prize-money-for-crowdsourcing-on-archaeological-sites/?_r=2

The Race to Save Syria's Archaeological Treasures

http://pulitzercenter.org/reporting/race-save-syrias-archaeological-treasures

Year later, Elephanta Caves restoration still on paper

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/mumbai/news/year-later-elephanta-caves-restoration-still-on-paper/article8291648.ece

Some Take Massive Risks To Save Syria's Cultural Heritage

*http://ht.ly/YUhZq <http://ht.ly/YUhZq>*

ICC's first cultural destruction trial to open in The Hague

http://ht.ly/YSfRC

Beyond Angkor: How lasers revealed a lost city

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29245289?SThisFB

85 pc conservation work completed at Harappa remains

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2016/02/28/national/85-pc-conservation-work-completed-at-harappa-remains/

How western art collectors are helping to fund Isis

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/feb/26/western-art-funding-terrorism-isis-middle-east?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Knights to remember at the Chapelle des Templiers

http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2016/feb/24/chapel-charente-france-medieval-history-knights-templar

UNESCO and ICRC partner on the protection of culture heritage in the event
of armed conflict

http://whc.unesco.org/en/news/1454

What do we really know about Islamic State’s role in illicit antiquities
trade?

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/what-do-we-really-know-about-islamic-state-s-role-in-illicit-antiquities-trade/

The Power of One, and Community in Protecting Cultural Heritage

http://ht.ly/Z2DYm

Long-Lost Anglo-Saxon Island Found Under English Field

http://www.history.com/news/long-lost-anglo-saxon-island-found-under-english-field?cmpid=Social_FBPAGE_HISTORY_20160303_386279187&linkId=21886281

*Egyptology*

Egypt prepares for addition of 4 archaological sites on UNESCO Heritage List

http://ht.ly/Z2i9x

*General Science*

Nothing to report

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

NASA Knows How to Land People on Mars Inside a Month

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/02/22/nasa-knows-how-to-land-people-on-mars-inside-a-month?watch

Earth May Be a 1-in-700-Quintillion Kind of Place
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/02/22/earth-is-a-1-in-700-quintillion-kind-of-place/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/02/22/earth-is-a-1-in-700-quintillion-kind-of-place/#.Vtsk6-Qo7am

We Finally Know How Much the Dino-Killing Asteroid Reshaped Earth
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/we-finally-know-how-much-dino-killing-asteroid-reshaped-earth-180958222/?no-ist

Black holes banish matter into cosmic voids

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-black-holes-banish-cosmic-voids.html

Scientists discover new subatomic particle

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-scientists-subatomic-particle.html

FSU student researcher cracks origin story of meteorite

http://www.tallahassee.com/story/news/2016/02/25/fsu-student-researcher-cracks-origin-story-meteorite/80927090/

Here's how we could build a colony on an alien world

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/02/opinions/build-colony-alien-world-conversation/?sr=fbCNN030216build-colony-alien-world-conversation0936PMStoryGalLink&linkId=21850408

Scott Kelly grew two inches in space — but NASA is more interested in
changes we can’t see

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/03/03/after-a-year-in-space-scott-kelly-finally-made-it-back-home-to-houston/?tid=sm_fb

Deep-Sea Audio Recordings Reveal A Noisy Mariana Trench, Surprising
Scientists

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/04/469213580/unique-audio-recordings-find-a-noisy-mariana-trench-and-surprise-scientists?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160304

SpaceX tries, tries again - and successfully launches satellite

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/04/news/companies/spacex-launch-fifth-attempt/index.html?sr=fbcnni030516spacex-launch-fifth-attempt0102AMStoryLink&linkId=21946075

Pluto has snow-capped peaks -- of methane

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/04/us/pluto-mountains-snow/index.html?sr=fbCNN030516pluto-mountains-snow0239AMStoryGalLink&linkId=21948357

Former Fermilab Physicist Aims To Build A 'Star Trek'-Style Antimatter
Engine

http://www.popsci.com/former-fermilab-physicist-aims-to-build-star-trek-style-antimatter-engine?platform=hootsuite

Homesteading in Space: White House Science Office Seeks Sci-Fi Inspiration

http://www.space.com/32001-homesteading-space-white-house-science-office-vision.html

How massive volcanoes gave Mars a makeover

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/03/world/volcanoes-mars-irpt/index.html?sr=fbCNN030316volcanoes-mars-irpt1000PMStoryGalLink&linkId=21895167

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

How a small island in the Indian ocean plans to offer its citizens 100%
renewable electricity by 2025

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-small-island-in-the-indian-ocean-offers-big-lessons-on-clean-power-2016-2?IR=T

Proven one-step process to convert CO2 and water directly into liquid
hydrocarbon fuel

http://phys.org/news/2016-02-proven-one-step-co2-liquid-hydrocarbon.html

World's biggest floating solar farm powers up outside London

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/feb/29/worlds-biggest-floating-solar-farm-power-up-outside-london

Tomorrow’s Nuclear Reactors are Closer Than You Think

http://energy.gov/articles/tomorrow-s-nuclear-reactors-are-closer-you-think

New satellite mapping a 'game changer' against illegal logging

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/mar/02/new-satellite-mapping-a-game-changer-against-illegal-logging

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Is this the future of zoos?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Society/2016/0225/Is-this-the-future-of-zoos

Scientists wait for 'dragons' to hatch in Slovenia

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/02/29/scientists-wait-for-dragons-to-hatch-in-slovenia.html

Could this new cancer treatment replace chemo?

https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/could-this-new-cancer-treatment-replace-chemo-150601426.html

Scientists unraveling mystery of rare whales off Madagascar

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/03/03/scientists-find-huge-population-rare-whales-off-madagascar.html?ref=yfp

*Other*

Nothing to report

Additional Informational

A Roadmap to Interstellar Flight

http://www.deepspace.ucsb.edu/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/A-Roadmap-to-Interstellar-Flight-15-h.pdf

Sgt. William H. Carney: 1863: First black Medal of Honor recipient

http://www.army.mil/africanamericans/profiles/carney.html?platform=hootsuite

In Memoriam: Ashrawy and Mustafa Ali

http://savingantiquities.org/in-memoriam-ashrawy-and-mustafa-ali/

The Sons of Luxor: Unearthing Egypt’s past for a brighter future- Video

https://vimeo.com/156017362

U.S. Committee of the Blue Shield

http://uscbs.org/index.html

Collapse Video Game

http://collapse-thedivisiongame.ubi.com/en/#

March 2016 AOM: “Tantalizing Fragments of a Lost Whole”: The ancient myths
of humanity begin to yield their secrets

https://grahamhancock.com/mathisend8/

Gallery: Archaeological mysteries hidden in satellite images

http://ideas.ted.com/gallery-archaeological-mysteries-hidden-in-satellite-images/?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=science

*Star Trek Axanar:* http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar
   - Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar