[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 12-8-17

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 10:46:51 PST 2017

*Weekly Science Report*

*December 8, 2017*

*“When life descends into the pit I must become my own candle Willingly
burning my self To light up the darkness around me.” ― Alice Walker**”When
life descends into the pit I must become my own candle willingly burning
myself to light up the darkness around me.”*

Alice Walker

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Paleolithic Camel Image Discovered in Russian Cave

https://www.archaeology.org/news/6127-171129-russia-cave-camel

A horse is a horse, of course, of course -- except when it isn't

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/uoc--ahi112717.php

Archaeologist says fire, not corn, key to prehistoric survival in arid
Southwest

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/uoc-asf112717.php

Storytellers promoted cooperation among hunter-gatherers before advent of
religion

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/12/171205120029.htm

*World’s scientists turn to Asia and Australia to rewrite human history*
https://theconversation.com/worlds-scientists-turn-to-asia-and-australia-to-rewrite-human-history-88697

Mammoth Remains Unearthed at Michigan Farm, Hint at Ancient Human Butchering

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/more-mammoth-remains-unearthed-michigan-farm-180967398/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Rare skeleton shown of human ancestor, 3.6 million years old

https://apnews.com/c5efcb6de8d549638b14fb0f277fa2e4

New approach measures early human butchering practices

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/fall-2017/article/new-approach-measures-early-human-butchering-practices

Uncovering varied pathways to agriculture

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-12/wios-uvp120717.php

Excavations show ancient contact with neighbours

http://cyprus-mail.com/2017/12/04/excavations-show-ancient-contact-neighbours/

Archaeologists revise chronology of the last hunter-gatherers in the Near
East

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/fall-2017/article/archaeologists-revise-chronology-of-the-last-hunter-gatherers-in-the-near-east

Ancient 'Cave of the Dead” Revealed in 3D Model

https://www.livescience.com/61099-cave-of-the-dead-revealed.html

*History*

This Is How Every Genocide Begins

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/11/30/this-is-how-every-genocide-begins-trump-retweets-muslim-hate/?utm_content=buffer17e8a&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer
  Professors discover copy of Jesus' secret revelations to his brother
https://m.phys.org/news/2017-11-professors-jesus-secret-revelations-brother.html

What next for UNESCO?

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/what-next-for-unesco/

Thousands protest in Utah against Trump's monument reduction plan
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/utah-protest-bears-ears-trump-monument-reduction-plan/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0h&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+New+Content+%28Feed%29&utm_content=5a236bfa04d30162d9305281&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

*President Trump’s national monument rollback is illegal and likely to be
reversed in court*

*https://theconversation.com/president-trumps-national-monument-rollback-is-illegal-and-likely-to-be-reversed-in-court-88376
<https://theconversation.com/president-trumps-national-monument-rollback-is-illegal-and-likely-to-be-reversed-in-court-88376>*

A Cultural Project in Polynesia Has the Power to Teach Us All
https://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2017/11/30/567441368/a-cultural-project-in-polynesia-has-the-power-to-teach-us-all

The Origin of Krampus, Europe’s Evil Twist on Santa
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/krampus-could-come-you-holiday-season-180957438/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Thousands are missing in Syria. A new exhibit bears witness to their absence

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/thousands-are-missing-in-syria-a-new-exhibit-bears-witness-to-their-absence

*The Hamburg swastika – and why we haven’t learnt from history*
https://theconversation.com/the-hamburg-swastika-and-why-we-havent-learnt-from-history-88359?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1512388061

Is 3D Technology the Key to Preserving Indigenous Cultures?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/national-museum-of-natural-history/2017/11/29/3d-technology-key-preserving-indigenous-cultures/

Message from the Past Found inside Spanish Statue of Jesus
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/message-future-found-inside-spanish-statue-jesus-180967425/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Will French Museums Return African Objects? Emmanuel Macron Says
Restitution Is a ‘Priority’

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/french-president-promises-restitution-african-heritage-ouagadougou-university-speech-1162199#.Wh6AWM5R1No.twitter

Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day 2017: What happened 76 years ago?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pearl-harbor-remembrance-day-2017-what-happened-76-years-ago/ar-BBGgLqx?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

Five Things to Know About the Redrawn National Monuments
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/five-things-know-about-redrawn-national-monuments-180967418/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Step Into the Vatican’s Secret Archives

http://www.history.com/news/step-into-the-vaticans-secret-archives

London mayor calls for UK apology over colonial-era massacre in India

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-india-britain-amritsar/london-mayor-calls-for-uk-apology-over-colonial-era-massacre-in-india-idUSKBN1E01PA?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5a28315104d30122565039f3&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Ryan Zinke: Why we shrunk the monuments

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/07/opinions/why-we-shrunk-the-monuments-zinke/index.html?sr=fbCNN120717why-we-shrunk-the-monuments-zinke1013AMVODtopLink

Names Written In Blood And Rust: Documenting Syria's Disappeared

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/12/07/568183086/please-dont-forget-us-documenting-syrias-disappeared?sf175606220=1

Trust no one: Scholar risked all to document Islamic State

https://www.apnews.com/cdc0567f7bf34958b914b15869392a84/Trust-no-one:-Scholar-risked-all-to-document-Islamic-State

*When the British government expects volunteers to help refugees, it’s back
to the 1930s*

https://theconversation.com/when-the-british-government-expects-volunteers-to-help-refugees-its-back-to-the-1930s-88356?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=twitterbutton

Cultural ‘big bang’ helped form Fort Ancient society

http://www.dispatch.com/news/20171203/archaeology-cultural-big-bang-helped-form-fort-ancient-society

*Archaeology*

UN: 17 World Heritage Sites in Arab World in Danger
https://www.voanews.com/a/un-says-17-world-heritage-sites-in-arab-world-in-danger/4144760.html
  Julius Caesar's Britain invasion site 'found by archaeologists'
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-42155888   Pakistan Unveils
1,700-year-old Reclining Buddha Statue at Bhamala Archaeological Site
https://www.buddhistdoor.net/news/pakistan-unveils-1700-year-old-reclining-buddha-statue-at-bhamala-archaeological-site
  3,000-Year-Old Noble Tomb Discovered in Northwest China
https://www.archaeology.org/news/6138-171204-china-imperial-rule   The
Glass Economy
https://www.archaeology.org/issues/275-1711/from-the-trenches/6006-trenches-nigeria-yoruba-glass-production
  This is no way to solve the cruise ship issue in Venice
http://theartnewspaper.com/news/this-is-no-way-to-solve-the-cruise-ship-issue-in-venice

U.S. Archaeological Sites Threatened by Sea Level Rise
https://www.archaeology.org/news/6131-171130-sea-level-rise

'Pit bull' lawyer and former marine hunts down world's stolen treasures

https://www.thenational.ae/world/the-americas/pit-bull-lawyer-and-former-marine-hunts-down-world-s-stolen-treasures-1.678704

Peru's abundant ruins feel the squeeze of urbanization

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/11/28/perus-abundant-ruins-feel-squeeze-urbanization.html

More than 1,000 ancient seals discovered

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/fall-2017/article/more-than-1-000-ancient-sealings-discovered

Bizarre Origins of 4th-Century 'Santa Claus Bone' Revealed

https://www.livescience.com/61146-origins-of-santa-claus-bone.html

New mysterious findings in excavations at Kissonerga-Skalia of Paphos,
Cyprus

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/28670-new-mysterious-findings-by-archaeological-excavations-at-kissonerga-skalia-in-cyprus.html

Archaeological Enigma Resolved: Meteorites Were the Origin of All Things
Iron Predating the Iron Age

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/1.826890

Earliest example of large hydraulic enterprise excavated in China

https://phys.org/news/2017-12-earliest-large-hydraulic-enterprise-excavated.html

*Egyptology*

A shipwreck has been found from the time of Alexander the Great

https://www.newscientist.com/article/shipwreck-found-time-alexander-great/amp/

The Artist Project: Sarah Sze on the Ancient Egyptians

http://www.phaidon.com/agenda/art/articles/2017/december/07/the-artist-project-sarah-sze-on-the-ancient-egyptians/

Statues of ancient Egyptian lioness deity Sekhmet uncovered in Luxor

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/282656.aspx

Discovery of 7000-year-old Egyptian city could shed light on Nile Valley's
earliest civilizations

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/discovery-7000-year-old-egyptian-city-could-shed-light-nile-valleys-earliest-civilisations-1648880

Pharaonic carpentry workshop discovered in Upper Egypt's Aswan

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-11/24/c_136775049.htm

*Archaeologists discover 2 ancient tombs in Egypt's Luxor*

*General Science*

Robots May Steal As Many As 800 Million Jobs in the Next 13 Years

*http://fortune.com/2017/11/29/robots-automation-replace-jobs-mckinsey-report-800-million/?utm_campaign=time&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&xid=time_socialflow_facebook
<http://fortune.com/2017/11/29/robots-automation-replace-jobs-mckinsey-report-800-million/?utm_campaign=time&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&xid=time_socialflow_facebook>*

Could Intelligent Machines of the Future Own the Rights to Their Own
Creations?

*https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-intelligent-machines-of-the-future-own-the-rights-to-their-own-creations/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sa-editorial-social&utm_content=&utm_term=tech_partner_&sf175208288=1
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-intelligent-machines-of-the-future-own-the-rights-to-their-own-creations/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sa-editorial-social&utm_content=&utm_term=tech_partner_&sf175208288=1>*

How can humans keep the upper hand on artificial intelligence?

*https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-12/epfd-hch120417.php
<https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-12/epfd-hch120417.php>*

Inside Baidu’s Bid to Lead the AI Revolution

*https://www.wired.com/story/inside-baidu-artificial-intelligence/?mbid=nl_120917_daily_list1_p4
<https://www.wired.com/story/inside-baidu-artificial-intelligence/?mbid=nl_120917_daily_list1_p4>*

Artificial Intelligence Seeks An Ethical Conscience

*https://www.wired.com/story/artificial-intelligence-seeks-an-ethical-conscience/?mbid=nl_120917_daily_list3_p4
<https://www.wired.com/story/artificial-intelligence-seeks-an-ethical-conscience/?mbid=nl_120917_daily_list3_p4>*

Musk Says Tesla Is Building Its Own Chip for Autopilot

*https://www.wired.com/story/musk-says-tesla-is-building-its-own-chip-for-autopilot/?mbid=nl_120817_daily_list1_p2
<https://www.wired.com/story/musk-says-tesla-is-building-its-own-chip-for-autopilot/?mbid=nl_120817_daily_list1_p2>*

San Francisco Just Put the Brakes on Delivery Robots

*https://www.wired.com/story/san-francisco-just-put-the-brakes-on-delivery-robots/?mbid=nl_120717_daily_list3_p1
<https://www.wired.com/story/san-francisco-just-put-the-brakes-on-delivery-robots/?mbid=nl_120717_daily_list3_p1>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Want to Learn How to Mine in Space? There’s a School for You

https://www.wired.com/story/want-to-learn-how-to-mine-in-space-theres-a-school-for-you/?mbid=nl_113017_daily_list3_p3

The bacterial community on the International Space Station resembles homes

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-12/p-tbc120117.php

Research bolsters possibility of plate tectonics on Europa

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-12/bu-rbp120417.php

Time between world-changing volcanic super-eruptions less than previously
thought

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/uob-tbw112717.php

If You Stuck Your Head in a Particle Accelerator…
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/12/04/head-particle-accelerator/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2017/12/04/head-particle-accelerator/#.WiyOWeQo7IW

Exploring Our Galaxy’s Thick Disk

http://aasnova.org/2017/12/06/exploring-our-galaxys-thick-disk/

Boeing: We are going to beat SpaceX to Mars

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/12/boeing-we-are-going-to-beat-spacex-to-mars/

This Artist Painted With Light. An Admiring Astronomer Helped Make Him a
Star
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/artist-painted-light-admiring-astronomer-helped-make-him-star-180967384/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Relativity Space aims to 3D print entire launch vehicles

http://spacenews.com/relativity-space-aims-to-3d-print-entire-launch-vehicles/

These baby worms are good news for future Mars settlers

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/these-baby-worms-are-good-news-future-mars-settlers-ncna826746

Scientists Discover Ancient Black Hole From the Dawn of the Universe
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/scientists-discover-ancient-black-hole-dawn-universe-180967450/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Gravity waves could help scientists detect earthquakes faster

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/04/gravity-waves-could-help-scientists-detect-earthquakes-faster/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Two Melting Glaciers Could Decide the Fate of Our Coastlines
https://www.wired.com/story/two-melting-glaciers-could-decide-the-fate-of-our-coastlines/?mbid=nl_113017_daily_list3_p1
  First Nuclear Chain Reaction Changed the World 75 Years Ago Today
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/military/first-nuclear-chain-reaction-changed-the-world-75-years-ago-today/

The Science behind the First Nuclear Chain Reaction, Which Ushered in the
Atomic Age 75 Years Ago
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/the-science-behind-first-nuclear-chain-reaction-180967375/#uWfbucB5vu7ZQB01.01

Officials Just Signed a Contract to Build The World’s First Floating Village

https://futurism.com/officials-signed-contract-build-worlds-first-floating-village/

Coal CEO: Senate tax plan 'wipes us out'

http://money.cnn.com/2017/12/06/investing/coal-tax-cuts-robert-murray-trump/index.html?sr=fbCNNp120617coal-tax-cuts-robert-murray-trump0740AMStory&CNNPolitics=fb

Uranium firm urged Trump officials to shrink Bears Ears National Monument

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/uranium-firm-urged-trump-officials-to-shrink-bears-ears-national-monument/ar-BBGpPmY?ocid=se

WHY THIS COMPANY IS INVESTING IN WATER REPLENISHMENT, CONSERVATION PROJECTS

https://www.usatoday.com/pages/interactives/sponsor-story/How-Coca-Cola-replenishes-the-water-it-uses/

A moment of truth arrives for Rick Perry’s widely hated coal bailout

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/12/9/16745084/rick-perry-coal-bailout-ferc

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Ancestry’s Genetic Testing Kits Are Heading for Your Stocking This Year

https://www.wired.com/story/ancestrys-genetic-testing-kits-are-heading-for-your-stocking-this-year/?mbid=nl_120117_daily_list3_p3

Johnson & Johnson and Partners Are Bringing the World One Step Closer to an
HIV Vaccine

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/jnj-johnson-hiv-vaccine-imbokodo/

The Most Promising Cancer Treatments In a Century Have Arrived—But Not For

https://www.wired.com/story/cancer-immunotherapy-has-arrived-but-not-for-everyone/?mbid=nl_112917_daily_list3_p1

This Greek island might have found the Fountain of Youth

https://www.nbcnews.com/leftfield/video/this-greek-island-might-have-found-the-fountain-of-youth-1107331651512?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_nw

Parents in a Remote Amazon Village Barely Talk to Their Babies—and the Kids
Are Fine

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/parents-in-a-remote-amazon-village-barely-talk-to-their-babies-mdash-and-the-kids-are-fine/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sa-editorial-social&utm_content=&utm_term=mind_news_text_free&sf175338137=1

Lab-engineered ovaries superior to hormone drugs in animal model

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-lab-engineered-ovaries-superior-hormone-drugs.html

When the doctor's away: What happens to hospitalized patients when
substitute doctors fill in?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-doctor-hospitalized-patients-substitute-doctors.html

Type 2 diabetes is not for life

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-diabetes-life.html

Researchers identify an indirect way of countering a key genetic lesion in
neuroblastoma

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-indirect-countering-key-genetic-lesion.html

Researchers pinpoint pathway to muscle paralysis

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-12-pathway-muscle-paralysis.html

Skin pigmentation is far more genetically complex than previously thought

https://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/biom-spi112717.php

Incredible drone footage shows EIGHT HUNDRED whales frolicking in the
arctic haven where they come to give birth
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5113733/Drone-footage-shows-beluga-whales-frolicking.html

Beluga Living with Dolphins Swaps Her Calls for Theirs
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/inkfish/2017/10/20/beluga-living-with-dolphins-swaps-her-calls-for-theirs/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/inkfish/2017/10/20/beluga-living-with-dolphins-swaps-her-calls-for-theirs/

New Drugs Could Prevent Migraine Headaches For Some People

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/12/04/567804150/new-drugs-could-prevent-migraine-headaches-for-some-people?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202904

DNA Code Gets Two New Synthetic Letters—And Uses Them to Create a New
Protein
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/researchers-add-two-new-synthetic-letters-dnas-alphabet-180967402/#OL2YSUfDbuOCgw3X.01

Google Is Giving Away AI That Can Build Your Genome Sequence

https://www.wired.com/story/google-is-giving-away-ai-that-can-build-your-genome-sequence/?mbid=nl_120817_daily_list1_p1

Neuroscientists Just Launched an Atlas of the Developing Human Brain

https://www.wired.com/story/neuroscientists-just-launched-an-atlas-of-the-developing-human-brain/?mbid=nl_120817_daily_list3_p4

*Other*

*Without equality of income there can be no equality of opportunity*

https://theconversation.com/without-equality-of-income-there-can-be-no-equality-of-opportunity-80488?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1512384560

Dear E.T.: Math on Voyager's Golden Record Tells a Story

https://www.space.com/38024-math-of-voyager-golden-record.html?utm_content=buffercdedb&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Knight Foundation awards $2.5m in grants to realise 43 Miami art projects

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/knight-foundation-awards-usd2-5m-in-grants-to-realise-43-miami-art-projects

Licence to show art: what hangs on the walls of MI6, the UK's Secret Service

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/licence-to-show-art-the-works-on-the-walls-of-the-secret-service-s-hq

Miami’s YoungArts foundation creates grant to mentor artists fresh out of
school

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/miami-s-youngarts-foundation-creates-grant-to-mentor-artists-fresh-out-of-school

Smithsonian Unveils a Bold New Action Plan, Grounded in Unity and Outreach
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/smithsonian-unveils-bold-new-action-plan-grounded-unity-and-outreach-180967394/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

What Is Net Neutrality and What Will the Internet Look Like Without It?

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2017/11/29/net-neutrality-and-the-fight-for-internet-control/?linkId=100000001558583

Five Questions You Should Have About Google’s Plan to Reinvent Cities
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/five-questions-you-should-have-about-googles-plan-reinvent-cities-180967368/#LGjFCR5oEutOqDXb.01

FCC Must Investigate Fraud Before Voting on Net Neutrality

https://www.wired.com/story/fcc-must-investigate-fraud-before-voting-on-net-neutrality/?mbid=nl_120917_daily_list3_p5

Additional Informational

TED Talk, How the military fights climate change

https://www.ted.com/talks/david_titley_how_the_military_fights_climate_change?language=en

5 Little-Known Facts About the Real Vikings

https://www.historyvault.com/articles/the-real-vikings?cmpid=hv_o_site_blog_vikings&linkId=45406490

U.S. National Holocaust Memorial Museum, Syria: Please Don’t Forget Us
Exhibition

https://www.ushmm.org/information/exhibitions/museum-exhibitions/syria-please-dont-forget-us#

Administration’s Willful Disregard for Antiquities Act/Native American
Concerns Shameful

http://www.americananthro.org/ParticipateAndAdvocate/AdvocacyDetail.aspx?ItemNumber=22311

UNESCO, Global Citizenship Education to prevent violent extremism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhwVKKPDm4A

ICCROM’s New Director-General – Webber Ndoro
<http://www.iccrom.org/iccroms-new-director-general-webber-ndoro/>

http://www.iccrom.org/iccroms-new-director-general-webber-ndoro/

Secrets of Christ Tomb

http://www.nationalgeographic.com.au/tv/secrets-of-christs-tomb/

AP FACT CHECK: Trump’s curious case for shrinking monuments

https://apnews.com/8533172590a4400291b9c95e1396c89c

TED Talk, We need to talk about an injustice

https://www.ted.com/talks/bryan_stevenson_we_need_to_talk_about_an_injustice

Conserving Michelangelo

https://www.metmuseum.org/metmedia/video/collections/dp/michelangelo-conservation