[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 1-13-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 21:18:48 PST 2017

*Weekly Science Report*

*January 13, 2017*

*“For in the final analysis, our most basic common link, is that we all
inhabit this small planet, we all breathe the same air, we all cherish our
children's futures, and we are all mortal.”*

President John F. Kennedy

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Neanderthals were people too

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/11/magazine/neanderthals-were-people-too.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0&mtrref=l.facebook.com&gwh=E3D9893C87457112F000843E1F21C770&gwt=pay

52 Million-Year-Old Tomatillo Fossils Rewrite Veggie History

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/01/10/509171881/52-million-year-old-tomatillo-fossil-rewrites-veggie-history

Culture etched on our DNA more than previously known, research suggests

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/culture-etched-onto-our-dna-more-than-previously-known-research-says/

No teeth? No problem -- dinosaur species had teeth as babies, lost them as
they grew

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-12/gwu-ntn121516.php

A research framework for tracing human migration events after 'out of
Africa' origins

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/winter-2017/article/a-research-framework-for-tracing-human-migration-events-after-out-of-africa-origins

*History*

Nazi-loot panel asks Sprengel Museum to return Schmidt-Rottluff work to
heirs

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/news/nazi-loot-panel-asks-hanover-sprengel-museum-to-return-schmidt-rottluff-work-to-grandchildren/

Australia Day lamb advertisement draws criticism from Indigenous groups

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-13/disgusting-australia-day-lamb-ad-again-stirs-controversy/8180374

Katy Perry lends her support to pro-Muslim American PSA

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-katy-perry-concentration-camp-usa-20170112-story.html

Ruin or Rebuild? Conserving heritage in an age of terrorism

http://theartnewspaper.com/features/ruin-or-rebuild-conserving-heritage-in-an-age-of-terrorism/

What We Can Learn From 'Washington's Farewell'

http://www.npr.org/2017/01/08/508537167/what-we-can-learn-from-washingtons-farewell?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170108

How ‘Sherlock of the library’ cracked the case of Shakespeare’s identity

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2017/jan/08/sherlock-holmes-of-the-library-cracks-shakespeare-identity?CMP=fb_gu

Nazi war criminal Alois Brunner died in Syria basement in 2001

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/nazi-war-criminal-alois-brunner-died-in-syria-basement-in-2001/ar-BBy9iFc?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=SL5FDHP

‘Werewolf’ of Siberia ranked among worst serial killers ever after
confessing to 81 victims, says Russian media

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/%e2%80%98werewolf%e2%80%99-of-siberia-ranked-among-worst-serial-killers-ever-after-confessing-to-81-victims-says-russian-media/ar-AAlMKnX?li=BBnb4R7&ocid=SL5FDHP

U.S. government has ‘dismally failed’ to educate Native American children,
lawsuit alleges

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/education/wp/2017/01/12/u-s-government-has-dismally-failed-to-educate-native-american-children-lawsuit-alleges/?tid=sm_Fb&utm_term=.e475c93614ad

Hidden seeds reveal Canary Islands history

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-01/lu-hsr010917.php

Research sheds new light on high-altitude settlement in Tibet

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-01/uow-rsn010517.php

Ancient Chaco Canyon population likely relied on imported food, finds CU
study

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-12/uoca-acc122916.php

Computer models find ancient solutions to modern problems

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-12/wsu-cmf122016.php

*Archaeology*

This 3,500-Year-Old Greek Tomb Upended What We Thought We Knew About the
Roots of Western Civilization
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/golden-warrior-greek-tomb-exposes-roots-western-civilization-180961441/#Gdm70JIe6hOsfkI2.99

Ancient Stonehenge-Like 'Calendar Rock' Aligns With Winter Solstice

http://www.seeker.com/ancient-stonehenge-like-calendar-rock-aligned-with-winter-solstice-2180344326.html

Unprecedented work at Auschwitz to preserve Holocaust site

https://www.yahoo.com/news/unprecedented-auschwitz-preserve-holocaust-050249373.html

Priceless archaeological treasure surfaces after storm in Crete, Greece

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/22062-priceless-archaeological-treasure-surfaces-after-storm-in-crete-greece-video.html

*Egyptology*

Twelve new tombs discovered in Gebel el Silsila, Egypt

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170112115012.htm

*General Science*

New generation of drones set to revolutionize warfare

*http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-autonomous-drones-set-to-revolutionize-military-technology/
<http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-autonomous-drones-set-to-revolutionize-military-technology/>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Earth Was Almost Hit By an Asteroid and No One Saw it Coming

https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/earth-was-almost-hit-by-an-asteroid-and-no-one-saw-it-coming

NASA: Solar storms could trigger sparks on lunar poles

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2017/01/06/NASA-Solar-storms-could-trigger-sparks-on-lunar-poles/9081483734764/

Astronomers predict explosion that will change the night sky in 2022

http://phys.org/news/2017-01-astronomers-explosion-night-sky.html

Spacewalkers finish station battery replacement

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/spacewalkers-finish-station-battery-replacement-international-space-station/

The moon might be much older than scientists suspected

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-moon-might-be-much-older-than-scientists-suspected/

SpaceX returns to flight with successful launch

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/spacex-returns-to-flight-with-successful-launch/

The Science Behind the Impossible EM Drive

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a24745/science-behind-em-drive/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

UNESCO embarks on board Energy Observer, the first hydrogen ship

http://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-embarks-board-energy-observer-first-hydrogen-ship

Brazilian farm owners form militias to attack land activists - rights group

http://news.trust.org/item/20170112174918-p005e/

White House urges research on Geoengineering to combat Global Warming

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/science/geoengineering-climate-change-global-warming.html?utm_source=Inside+Climate+News&utm_campaign=b871e57b2a-Today_s_Climate12_10_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_29c928ffb5-b871e57b2a-327796213&_r=0&mtrref=l.facebook.com&gwh=E7DB2AC7588B9B12960FE971BFEB8EA6&gwt=pay

How the world’s biggest cities are fighting smog

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170112-how-the-worlds-biggest-cities-are-fighting-smog

Diversification key to resilient fishing communities

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-diversification-key-resilient-fishing.html

Giant Middle East dust storm caused by a changing climate, not human
conflict

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-giant-middle-east-storm-climate.html

Climate change could kill off parasites, destabilizing ecosystems

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-climate-parasites-destabilizing-ecosystems.html

Miniaturized Nuclear Power Plant? U.S. Reviewing Proposed Design

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/01/13/509673094/miniaturized-nuclear-power-plant-u-s-reviewing-proposed-design

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

*Uncertainty in blood supply chains creating challenges for industry*

http://theconversation.com/uncertainty-in-blood-supply-chains-creating-challenges-for-industry-70316

Robert Kennedy Jr. says he will chair "vaccination safety" committee for
Trump

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-meets-with-vaccine-skeptic-robert-kennedy-jr/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=33242973

U.S. releases plan for Alaska endangered beluga whales

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/north/alaska-belugas-cook-inlet-noaa-recovery-plan-1.3923265

How panicked parents skipping shots could endanger us all

https://www.wired.com/2009/10/ff_waronscience?mbid=social_fb

DARPA’s Biotech Chief Says 2017 Will “Blow Our Minds”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/darpa-rsquo-s-biotech-chief-says-2017-will-ldquo-blow-our-minds-rdquo/?WT.mc_id=SA_TW_HLTH_NEWS

Byzantine skeleton yields 800-year-old genomes from a fatal infection

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-01/uow-bsy011017.php

Woman Killed by a Superbug Resistant to Every Available Antibiotic

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/woman-killed-by-a-superbug-resistant-to-every-available-antibiotic/

One Man’s Quest to Hack His Own Genes

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/603217/one-mans-quest-to-hack-his-own-genes/?utm_campaign=internal&utm_medium=homepage&utm_source=cover-story&set=603358

*Other*

Philosophy can teach children what Google can’t

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/philosophy-teach-children-schools-ireland?CMP=fb_gu

How to Destroy the Business Model of Breitbart and Fake News

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/07/opinion/sunday/how-to-destroy-the-business-model-of-breitbart-and-fake-news.html?post_id=10154947764599529_10154947764804529#_=_

On eve of Trump, Obama’s Energy Department announces new policy to protect
scientists

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/11/on-the-eve-of-trump-obamas-energy-dept-leaves-behind-a-new-scientific-integrity-policy/?utm_term=.4dfbef3c20be

Escape Artist Harry Houdini Was an Ingenious Inventor, He Just Didn't Want
Anybody to Know
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/harry-houdini-ingenious-innovator-didnt-want-anybody-know-180961078/

Additional Informational

11 Pieces Of Wisdom From Desmond Tutu To Inspire Change Makers In 2017

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/11-pieces-of-wisdom-from-desmond-tutu-to-inspire-change_us_5866d809e4b014e7c72ee13c

TED Talk, This tiny particle could roam your body to find tumors

http://www.ted.com/talks/sangeeta_bhatia_this_tiny_particle_could_roam_your_body_to_find_tumors?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_content=talk&utm_term=science

TED Talk, Visions of a future without origin stories and identity myths

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oHvknJfklE

Why Did the Holocaust Happen? A Leading Scholar on Eight Key Questions
Webcast, Jan 17

https://www.ushmm.org/online/watch/index.html