[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 6-2-17

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 10:43:29 PDT 2017

*Weekly Science Report*

*June 2, 2017*

*“In the face of evil, we must summon our capacity for good.  In the face
of hate, we must love.  In the face of cruelty, we must live with empathy
and compassion.  We must never be bystanders to injustice or indifferent to
suffering.”*

President Barack Obama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

We're on the brink of mass extinction—but there's still time to pull back

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-brink-mass-extinctionbut.html

Domesticated rice dated back 9,400 years in China

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-domesticated-rice-dated-years-china.html

Volcanic 'geoengineering' may have caused a climate catastrophe that killed
most animal species

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-volcanic-geoengineering-climate-catastrophe-animal.html

Huaca Prieta Provides More Proof of What Indians Already Knew

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.com/history/traditional-societies/huaca-prieta-provides-proof-indians-already-knew/

Collagen from a Tyrannosaurus rex bone proves Jurassic Park will never exist

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-collagen-tyrannosaurus-rex-bone-jurassic.html

Malta’s Hypogeum, One of the World’s Best Preserved Prehistoric Sites,
Reopens to the Public
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/maltas-hypogeum-one-worlds-best-preserved-prehistoric-sites-reopens-public-180963397/#PSQM8DZpqXI5xDeQ.99

Tunnel diggers stumble upon surprise find: ancient giant sloth

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/ancient-giant-sloth-discovered-by-tunnel-diggers/

New research reveals earliest directly dated rock paintings from southern
Africa

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-06/uotw-nrr060117.php

Paleobiologists make intriguing new discoveries about dinosaurs' ancestors

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-05/kfu-pmi053117.php

Groundwater 'pit stops' enabled survival and migration of our ancient
ancestors

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-05/cu-gs052617.php

Life on terra firma began with an invasion

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-life-terra-firma-began-invasion.html

Mystery solved: Scientists reconstruct 10,300-year-old bison hunt

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article153093719.html

Neuroarchaeology used to investigate early stone tool production

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/05/2017/neuroarchaeology-used-to-investigate-early-stone-tool-production

*History*

Meet the 19-year-old racing to preserve the stories of WWII veterans

http://www.scpr.org/programs/take-two/2017/05/25/56996/meet-the-19-year-old-racing-to-preserve-the-storie/

Battle for the Aleutians: WWII’s Forgotten Alaskan Campaign

http://www.history.com/news/battle-for-the-aleutians-wwiis-forgotten-alaskan-campaign?cmpid=FACEBOOK_FBPAGE__20170602&linkId=38306398

The Jews of Warsaw Buried the Truth So It Would Survive Them

https://medium.com/@HolocaustMuseum/the-jews-of-warsaw-buried-the-truth-so-it-would-survive-them-84a46b47f385?sf84543831=1

Videotapes Are Becoming Unwatchable As Archivists Work To Save Them

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltechconsidered/2017/06/03/529155865/videotapes-are-becoming-unwatchable-as-archivists-work-to-save-them?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170603

When an Unplayable Record Preserves a Long-Lost Language

https://creators.vice.com/en_us/article/long-lost-record-preserves-dead-alaskan-language

Bill Calls for Congressional Gold Medal for Chinese-American WWII Vets

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/bill-calls-congressional-gold-medal-chinese-american-wwii-vets-n757951

General de Gaulle: France's noble, exasperating icon

http://www.economist.com/node/16374536?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/

Ex-Auschwitz guard Reinhold Hanning, 95, dies year after being convicted

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2017/06/01/former-auschwitz-guard-reinhold-hanning-95-dies-year-after-being-convicted-nazi-germany-ss/102376508/

Why It’s So Hard to Find the Original Owners of Nazi-Looted Art
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/why-its-so-hard-find-real-owners-nazi-looted-art-180963513/

Edith Wharton Recruited the World’s Greatest Artists to Raise Money for WWI
Refugees
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/edith-wharton-recruited-worlds-greatest-artists-raise-money-wwi-refugees-180963493/

After the Battle

http://www.archaeology.org/issues/255-1705/features/5465-scotland-dunbar-battle

The Blackener’s Cave

http://www.archaeology.org/issues/255-1705/features/5468-iceland-surtshellir-viking-cave

Jerusalem dig sheds light on 2,000-year-old eating habits of local Jews

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Jerusalem-excavation-reveals-diet-of-ancient-Israelites-during-Second-Temple-period-494148

Indian origins pinpointed using genetic evidence from current populace

http://www.pasthorizonspr.com/index.php/archives/05/2017/indian-origins-pinpointed-using-genetic-evidence-from-current-populace

*Archaeology*

Samples from Haryana excavation site to be sent for carbon dating

http://indianexpress.com/article/india/samples-from-haryana-excavation-site-to-be-sent-for-carbon-dating/

"Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/space-archaeology-transforms-how-ancient-sites-are-discovered/?utm_content=bufferabee1&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Venice world heritage status under threat

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/may/26/venice-tourists-cruise-ships-pollution-italy-biennale

Prominent Art Family Entangled in ISIS Antiquities-Looting Investigations

https://www.wsj.com/articles/prominent-art-family-entangled-in-investigations-of-looted-antiquities-1496246740?mod=e2tw

Why was a teenager with bone cancer buried on Witch Hill in Panama?

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-06/stri-wwa060117.php

This Interactive Map Visualizes "At Risk" Archaeological Sites In The
Mediterranean World

https://www.forbes.com/sites/drsarahbond/2017/06/02/this-interactive-map-visualizes-at-risk-archaeological-sites-in-the-mediterranean-world/#79bed6c3362b

Laser technology uncovers 1,600-year-old Christian frescoes in Rome's
biggest catacomb

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/30/laser-technology-uncovers-1600-year-old-christian-frescoes-romes/

Significant finds from underwater excavation on Delos island in Greece

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/25532-significant-finds-from-underwater-excavation-at-delos-island-in-greece.html

Ceramic Heads of Possible Goddesses Discovered in Ancient Waste Dump

http://www.livescience.com/59294-ceramic-heads-discovered-ancient-waste-dump.html

*Egyptology*

The first genome data from ancient Egyptian mummies

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-genome-ancient-egyptian-mummies.html

Lost Egyptian Artifact Found in Michigan

http://www.archaeology.org/news/5600-170602-egyptian-stele-faience

Documentation work begins

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/News/20616.aspx

Ten Late Period tombs uncovered in Aswan

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/40/269999/Heritage/Ancient-Egypt/Ten-Late-Period-tombs-uncovered-in-Aswan.aspx

*General Science*

Researcher's 'miracle material' discovery could end cracked smart devices

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-miracle-material-discovery-smart-devices.html

'Instantly rechargeable' battery could change the future of electric and
hybrid automobiles

https://techxplore.com/news/2017-06-instantly-rechargeable-battery-future-electric.html

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Researchers uncover new gravitational wave characteristics

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-uncover-gravitational-characteristics.html

Citizen scientists uncover a cold new world near sun

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-citizen-scientists-uncover-cold-world.html

UM researchers find new way to measure hurricanes: ‘gravity waves’

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article150882007.html

Paul Allen’s built the World’s largest plane to fling satellites into space

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/paul-allen-built-worlds-largest-plane-fling-satellites-space/?mbid=nl_6217_p2&CNDID=41291302

Physicists find another gravitational wave to suggest Einstein was right

https://www.wired.com/2017/06/physicists-find-another-gravitational-wave-prove-einstein-right/?mbid=nl_6217_p3&CNDID=41291302

Bigelow Aerospace founder says commercial world will lead in space

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bigelow-aerospace-founder-says-commercial-world-will-lead-in-space/

NASA to Make Announcement About First Mission to Touch Sun

https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-to-make-announcement-about-first-mission-to-touch-sun

Do stars fall quietly into black holes, or crash into something utterly
unknown?

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-stars-fall-quietly-black-holes.html

30 pages of calculations settle a 30-year debate over a mysterious new
phase of matter

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-pages-year-debate-mysterious-phase.html

The world's most powerful X-ray laser beam creates 'molecular black hole'

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-world-powerful-x-ray-laser-molecular.html

A new twist on uranium's origin story, by CSU scientists

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-uranium-story-csu-scientists.html

UNESCO global ocean science report, first stock taking of global ocean
science

http://en.unesco.org/news/unesco-global-ocean-science-report-first-stock-taking-global-ocean-science

NASA’s GPS-Like Deep Space Navigation Experiment Set to Launch on SpaceX
Rocket

https://www.seeker.com/space/nasas-gps-like-deep-space-navigation-experiment-set-to-launch-on-spacex-rocket

SpaceX blasts off cargo using recycled spaceship

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-spacex-blasts-cargo-recycled-spaceship.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

A Farm Journalist Tells Farmers What They'd Rather Not Hear About Climate
Change

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2017/06/02/531223294/a-farm-journalist-tells-farmers-what-theyd-rather-not-hear-about-climate-change?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170602

Trump misunderstood MIT climate research, university officials say

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange-trump-mit-idUSKBN18S6L0?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5930abb104d30123a0683425&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Why Climate Skeptics Are Wrong

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-climate-skeptics-are-wrong/?WT.mc_id=SA_FB_ENGYSUS_OSNP

Wind Project in Wyoming Envisions Coal Miners as Trainees

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/21/business/energy-environment/wind-turbine-job-training-wyoming.html?_r=2&mtrref=www.globalcitizen.org

Global Warming Gas Can Now Be Extracted from Air and Resold

http://www.livescience.com/59308-facility-captures-carbon-dioxide-from-atmosphere.html

Crack in Antarctic ice shelf could create one of the biggest icebergs in
history

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/antarctic-ice-shelf-biggest-iceberg-in-history/

Chemical 'dance' of cobalt catalysis could pave way to solar fuels

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-chemical-cobalt-catalysis-pave-solar.html

Plasmonics could bring sustainable society, desalination tech

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-plasmonics-sustainable-society-desalination-tech.html

Scientists directly observe light-to-energy transfer in new solar cell
materials

https://phys.org/news/2017-06-scientists-light-to-energy-solar-cell-materials.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Researchers discover first human antibodies that work against all
ebolaviruses

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-05-human-antibodies-ebolaviruses.html

Here’s the visual proof of why vaccines do more good than harm

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/04/heres-visual-proof-why-vaccines-do-more-good-harm

NIH scientists try to crack the brain’s memory codes

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/nih-scientists-try-crack-brains-memory-codes

Resurrected: A Controversial Trial to Bring the Dead Back to Life

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/resurrected-a-controversial-trial-to-bring-the-dead-back-to-life/?WT.mc_id=SA_FB_HLTH_NEWS

The lionfish zapper hits the open seas

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/lionfish-zapper-hits-open-seas/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=newshour

Living fossil challenges thinking on brain evolution

https://phys.org/news/2017-05-fossil-brain-evolution.html

Human tests suggest young blood cuts cancer and Alzheimer’s risk

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2133311-human-tests-suggest-young-blood-cuts-cancer-and-alzheimers-risk/?cmpid=SOC|NSNS|2017-Echobox&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1496319524

Treatment extends life for some with advanced prostate cancer

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-treatment-life-advanced-prostate-cancer.html

Gene therapy could 'turn off' severe allergies

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-gene-therapy-severe-allergies.html

*Other*

Some of us are complicit in racism

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/29/opinions/letter-religious-leaders-opinion-held/index.html

5 women scholars in Islam you should know

https://www.mysalaam.com/en/story/5-women-scholars-in-islam-you-should-know/SALAAM01062017084609

Sci-Fi Authors Are Banding Together to Write Roadmaps for Our Future

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/sci-fi-authors-are-banding-together-to-write-roadmaps-for-our-future

In Public Understanding Of Science, Alternative Facts Are The Norm

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2017/05/29/527892222/in-public-understanding-of-science-alternative-facts-are-the-norm?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170529

Aerospace Executive ‘Absolutely Convinced’ There Are Aliens On Earth

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/robert-bigelow-ufos-aliens-on-earth_us_592ca03ce4b0065b20b7bfb7?ncid=edlinkushpmg00000313

Invisibilia: A Man Discovers The Terrible Emotion Locked In A Word

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2017/06/01/529876861/an-anthropologist-discovers-the-terrible-emotion-locked-in-a-word?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20170601

Additional Informational

John Anthony West Crowdfund Campaign

https://fundly.com/john-anthony-west-project

Lucy Jones: scientists need to create “scientifically-defensible” stories

https://blogs.agu.org/sciencecommunication/2017/05/24/lucy-jones-scientists-need-create-scientifically-defensible-stories/

The last Muslim King in Spain

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2017/05/the-last-muslim-king-in-spain/114961

Space Agencies on Asteroid Day LIVE

https://blog.asteroidday.org/2017/06/02/space-agencies-asteroid-day-broadcast/

Trump Uses Executive Power to Shirk Responsibility on Climate Change

https://www.npca.org/articles/1507-trump-uses-executive-power-to-shirk-responsibility-on-climate-change#sm.00001ps3gghpm5d2lysy5o4iag4a6