[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 11-3-17

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 09:33:44 PDT 2017

*Weekly Science Report*

*November 3, 2017*

*Knowledge is of four kinds; 1. Things we know we know 2. Things we don't
know we know 3. Things we know we don't know 4. Things we don't know we
don't know*

Attributed to Epicurius (Provided by Steven Gehring)

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Remarkable Dinosaur Finds Threatened By Trump Plan To Shrink Utah Monument

https://www.yahoo.com/news/remarkable-dinosaur-finds-threatened-trump-031820917.html?utm_content=buffer739e8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Rock Art Discovered in Deep Dark Caves Reveal Early Human Civilization on
Puerto Rico’s Uninhabited Mona Island

http://www.newsweek.com/puerto-rico-mona-island-cave-art-early-humans-civilization-696239

Slow flow of human immigration may have doomed Neanderthals

https://phys.org/news/2017-10-human-immigration-doomed-neanderthals.html

Asteroid impact plunged dinosaurs into catastrophic 'winter'

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41825471

Researchers look for dawn of human information sharing

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/wsu-rlf103017.php

Anthropologist group suggests first humans to the Americas arrived via the
kelp highway

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-anthropologist-group-humans-americas-kelp.html

Huge news: scientists solve mystery of dead male woolly mammoths

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/nov/03/huge-news-scientists-solve-mystery-of-dead-male-woolly-mammoths

Is the dinosaur family tree becoming a dinosaur?

https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2017/1102/Is-the-dinosaur-family-tree-becoming-a-dinosaur

World's smallest paleolithic ornamental beads unearthed in China

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2017-10/30/c_136715334.htm

*History*

Bible, Creation of the World and Story of First Man Not True, Claims
Israeli Newspaper

http://www.newsweek.com/bible-creation-world-and-story-first-man-not-true-claims-israeli-newspaper-695821

Secret Martin Luther King document included in JFK file release
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/03/politics/martin-luther-king-document-in-jfk-files/index.html?sr=twCNN110317martin-luther-king-document-in-jfk-files0927PMStory

Special operations veterans honored in Fort Bragg ceremony

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/20171026/special-operations-veterans-honored-in-fort-bragg-ceremony

Is the White House haunted? A history of spooked presidents, prime
ministers and pets.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/is-the-white-house-haunted-a-history-of-spooked-presidents-prime-ministers-and-pets/ar-AAudbUu?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

*The truth about Easter Island: a sustainable society has been falsely
blamed for its own demise*

https://theconversation.com/the-truth-about-easter-island-a-sustainable-society-has-been-falsely-blamed-for-its-own-demise-85563

CIA Investigated Whether Hitler Survived WWII

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/cia-investigated-whether-hitler-survived-wwii/ar-AAufIEQ?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

John Kelly Pins Civil War on ‘Lack of Ability to Compromise’

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/31/us/john-kelly-civil-war.html?_r=0

Black leaders offer to give Kelly a history lesson after Civil War
'compromise' remarks

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/black-leaders-offer-to-give-kelly-a-history-lesson-after-civil-war-compromise-remarks/ar-AAui3r2?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

China Just Unveiled The Most Futuristic Library Ever

https://nextshark.com/china-just-unveiled-incredible-massive-new-library-future/

Century-old declaration hardens Israeli-Palestinian rift

https://www.apnews.com/22fac35cfbc84b3e941a144440541a24

Concentration Camps Existed Long Before Auschwitz

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/concentration-camps-existed-long-before-Auschwitz-180967049/

Artifacts Suggest Pre-Inca Society Lacked Hierarchical Structure

https://www.archaeology.org/news/6072-171103-argentina-infant-urns

*Archaeology*

Hurricane Irma might have unearthed Calusa artifacts in Marco Island
preserve

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/news/environment/2017/10/25/hurricane-irma-might-have-unearthed-calusa-artifacts-marco-island-preserve/795862001/

3 More People Sentenced for Looting Mississippi Indian Mound

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/mississippi/articles/2017-10-24/3-more-people-sentenced-for-looting-mississippi-indian-mound?src=usn_fb

6 sentenced for removing artifacts, digging in Native American burial mound

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/local/2017/10/23/6-sentenced-artifacts-digging-native-american-mound/790838001/?platform=hootsuite&from=global&sessionKey=&autologin
=

Storm Ophelia Unearthed an Ancient Skeleton in Ireland
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/storm-ophelia-unearthed-ancient-skeleton-ireland-180965365/

Underwater search off Naxos island coast yields rich finds

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/27964-underwater-search-off-naxos-island-coast-yields-rich-finds.html

*Egyptology*

Scientists Say They've Found Hidden Space In Great Pyramid Of Giza

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/02/561468384/scientists-say-theyve-found-hidden-space-in-great-pyramid-of-giza?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202802

Tech Shows 2,000-Year-Old Mummy of a Little Girl in Amazing Detail

https://www.livescience.com/60834-ancient-child-mummy-3d-scan.html

*General Science*

Technology seeks to preserve fading skill: Braille literacy

*https://www.apnews.com/7c9cf97fbdde47a3a262985ecfc2c564/Technology-seeks-to-preserve-fading-skill:-Braille-literacy
<https://www.apnews.com/7c9cf97fbdde47a3a262985ecfc2c564/Technology-seeks-to-preserve-fading-skill:-Braille-literacy>*

Fluidic transistor ushers the age of liquid computers

*https://phys.org/news/2017-11-fluidic-transistor-ushers-age-liquid.html
<https://phys.org/news/2017-11-fluidic-transistor-ushers-age-liquid.html>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

We Found Another State of Matter: The Supersolid!

https://www.seeker.com/videos/we-found-another-state-of-matter-the-supersolid

Aliens may be more like us than we think

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-aliens.html

Neutron star merger confirms decades of predictions

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-neutron-star-merger-decades.html

ALMA discovers cold dust around nearest star

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-alma-cold-nearest-star.html

CALET makes first direct measurements of high energy electrons in space

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-calet-high-energy-electrons-space.html

The most ancient spiral galaxy confirmed

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-ancient-spiral-galaxy.html

We may have found 20 habitable worlds hiding in plain sight

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2151848-we-may-have-found-20-habitable-worlds-hiding-in-plain-sight/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Trump Administration Issues Report Confirming Global Warming

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-11-03/trump-administration-issues-report-that-climate-change-is-real?cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business&utm_content=business&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

*How to turn a volcano into a power station – with a little help
from satellites*

http://theconversation.com/how-to-turn-a-volcano-into-a-power-station-with-a-little-help-from-satellites-86566?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#link_time=1509554039

Ex-Trump campaign official withdraws nomination for Ag post

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ex-trump-campaign-official-withdraws-nomination-for-ag-post/ar-AAumAV0

Can a Carbon 'Vacuum Cleaner' Save the Planet?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/can-carbon-vacuum-cleaner-save-planet-ncna816376?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

UK's Halley Antarctic base set for second closure

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41819509

Cod and haddock 'may vanish' from Scotland's west coast

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-41816878

Could the Neolithic Revolution offer evidence of best ways to adapt to
climate change?

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2017-11/uop-ctn103117.php

Solar greenhouses generate electricity and grow crops at the same time

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-solar-greenhouses-electricity-crops.html

Cicada wings help researchers design better solar cells

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-cicada-wings-solar-cells.html

New techniques for removing carbon from the atmosphere

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-techniques-carbon-atmosphere.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Two dozen octopuses crawl ashore and nobody knows why

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2017/10/30/two-dozen-octopuses-crawled-to-shore-en-masse-and-no-one-knows-why/?tid=sm_Fb&utm_term=.bb50dff501e4

Hundreds of humpback whales are massing in a tiny spot of ocean. Here’s why

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/10/hundreds-humpback-whales-are-massing-tiny-spot-ocean-here-s-why

Playing God in China's mutant mice lab

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/playing-god-genetic-editing-mutant-mice-lab/

Frizzy-haired orangutan may be new great ape species

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/orangutan-sumatra-indonesia-new-species-great-ape-pongo-tapanuliensis/

A last refuge for Europe's blighted killer whales

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-41864515

The battle between cancer and the immune system—who switches the off
signals off?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-11-cancer-immune-systemwho.html

Testing reveals transfusing young blood into Alzheimer's patients does not
reverse disease

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-11-reveals-transfusing-young-blood-alzheimer.html

Could Genetic Engineering Save the Galápagos?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/could-genetic-engineering-save-the-gal-aacuote-pagos/

Radical new approach to schizophrenia treatment begins trial

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/nov/03/radical-new-approach-to-schizophrenia-treatment-begins-trial

*Other*

Top Trump environmental pick said goal of UN 'climate crusade' is
'all-powerful' government

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/politics/kfile-khw-all-powerful-government/index.html

Science can align common interests among the world's leading superpowers

https://phys.org/news/2017-11-science-align-common-world-superpowers.html

Additional Informational

Nothing to report