[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 4-13-18

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 23:17:05 PDT 2018

*Weekly Science Report*

*April 13, 2018*

*“Is there a God?  I don’t know.  Just tell me!  I would if I could but I
don’t know and neither does anybody else.  Roberta knows.  No Roberta has
faith and that’s a great thing to have.  Faith is about what you think and
feel.  What about Jesus?  Love that guy, do what he says.  But is he God?
I don’t know.  I have an opinion but that’s my opinion, I could be wrong.
So why would I screw up yours?  Use your head but don’t be afraid to
believe in things either.  There was a guy on TV that said there was no
God.  The only difference between the atheists on TV and Roberta is that
Roberta loves you.  She is just trying to help.  Tell you what though, one
way or another we all end up back together in the end.  That’s what you are
asking right?  Yep!  Do me a favor find something else to worry about.”*

Gifted the Movie

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Rice growing spread north in Neolithic age: researchers

http://www.china.org.cn/arts/2018-04/13/content_50872888.htm

A Fossilized Finger Bone May Be From the Earliest Humans on the Arabian
Peninsula

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/science/a-fossilized-finger-bone-may-be-from-the-earliest-humans-on-the-arabian-peninsula.html

Was There a Civilization On Earth Before Humans?

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/04/are-we-earths-only-civilization/557180/
  Secrets of the sea bed: Hunt for Stone Age site in North Sea
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-43711762

200-million-year-old insect color revealed by fossil scales

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/caos-2ic040418.php

Why expressive brows might have mattered in human evolution

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/uoy-web040618.php

First human migration out of Africa more geographically widespread than
previously thought

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/mpif-fhm040418.php

New method predicts evolution

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-method-evolution.html

Archaeologists reveal "ice age" hunter-gatherers in Indonesia arrive 50,000
years ago

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-04/12/c_137106145.htm

*History*

Louvre’s director: we are active in 75 countries

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/interview/louvre-s-director-we-are-active-in-75-countries

*Assassination in Brazil unmasks the deadly racism of a country that would
rather ignore it*

https://theconversation.com/assassination-in-brazil-unmasks-the-deadly-racism-of-a-country-that-would-rather-ignore-it-94389

This 20-year-old wants to interview every WWII combat veteran he can before
it's too late

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/09/us/rishi-sharma-wwii-veterans-interviews-trnd/index.html?sr=fbCNN041018rishi-sharma-wwii-veterans-interviews-trnd0625AMStory

Inside the Memorial to Victims of Lynching

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/inside-the-memorial-to-victims-of-lynching-60-minutes-oprah-winfrey/

After MLK's Death, Coretta Scott King Went To Memphis To Finish His Work

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/08/597703360/after-mlks-death-coretta-scott-king-went-to-memphis-to-finish-his-work?sc=tw

Viking skeleton’s DNA test proves historians wrong
<https://nypost.com/2017/09/08/viking-skeletons-dna-test-proves-historians-wrong/>

https://nypost.com/2017/09/08/viking-skeletons-dna-test-proves-historians-wrong/?utm_content=inf_10_2731_2&utm_source=tsefacebook&utm_medium=tsefb&utm_campaign=tse&tse_id=INF_fa2383603ffc11e8b29b6b4043a47a2a

Commerce vs. Curation: Lessons From Today’s Museum World

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/06/arts/design/museums-commercial-challenges.html?smid=fb-share

How the Death of 6,000 Sheep Spurred the American Debate on Chemical Weapons
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/how-death-6000-sheep-spurred-american-debate-chemical-weapons-cold-war-180968717/

Migration Photo Exhibit Showcases Similarity Over Strangeness

http://wesa.fm/post/migration-photo-exhibit-showcases-similarity-over-strangeness#stream/0

Survey Reveals Gaps in Knowledge of Holocaust History—And That Most
Americans Believe It Could Happen Again

http://time.com/5235725/holocaust-history-survey/

How Muslims, Often Misunderstood, Are Thriving in America

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/05/Being-Muslim-In-America/

Trump judicial nominee refuses to say if landmark civil rights opinion was
correctly decided

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-judicial-nominee-refuses-to-say-if-landmark-civil-rights-opinion-was-correctly-decided/ar-AAvNWNL?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

The Secret Student Group That Stood Up to the Nazis
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-secret-student-group-stood-up-nazis-180962250/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Why Thomas Jefferson Owned a Qur’an

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/why-thomas-jefferson-owned-qur-1-180967997/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Unusual climate during Roman times plunged Eurasia into hunger and disease

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/uoh-ucd041118.php

200-million-year-old insect color revealed by fossil scales

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/caos-2ic040418.php

Asian Ancestors Detected in DNA Study in Mexico

https://www.archaeology.org/news/6546-180413-mexico-asia-dna

New study finds: Ancient Mycenaean civilization might have collapsed due to
uprising or invasion

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/30911-new-study-mycenaean-civilization-might-have-collapsed-due-to-uprising-or-invasion.html

*Archaeology*

Chinese protests fail to stop 'illegal' water vessel sale
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-kent-43726526?__twitter_impression=true
  UK archaeologists help Iraqis restore their Isis-ravaged heritage
https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2018/apr/01/uk-archaeologists-help-iraqis-restore-their-isis-ravaged-heritage?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true
  Along with Iraqi culture, we have lost priceless art
http://www.indiannewslink.co.nz/along-with-iraqi-culture-we-have-lost-priceless-art/?platform=hootsuite

Possible Indian burial grounds could delay million-dollar homes

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/classified/realestate/os-indian-burial-grounds-chuck-whittall-20180409-story.html

As Mongolia Melts, Looters Close In On Priceless Artifacts
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/mongolia-melts-climate-change-looters-close-in-180968764/

War savages ancient sites in Yemen and Iraq, destroying archaeological
record
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/04/war-savages-ancient-sites-yemen-and-iraq-destroying-archaeological-record
  Nubian Stone Tablets Unearthed in African 'City of the Dead'
https://www.livescience.com/62272-oldest-meroe-inscriptions-sudan-africa.html

Origin of Mysterious 2,700-Year-Old Gold Treasure Revealed

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/carambolo-treasure-tartessos-gold-atlantis-spain-archaeology/

*Egyptology*

Losing Heritage, losing identity

http://rawi-magazine.com/articles/losingheritage/

Have Archaeologists Discovered the Tomb of King Tut's Wife? Maybe

https://www.livescience.com/62264-search-king-tut-wife-tomb.html#undefined.uxfs

This ancient Egyptian papyrus could be the first record of a man getting
fired for sexual assault

https://qz.com/1249141/metoo-sexual-assault-possibly-led-to-the-firing-of-a-powerful-man-in-ancient-egypt/?utm_source=qzfb

Emblems for the Afterlife

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/296-1805/features/6508-egypt-middle-kingdom-tomb-paintings

*General Science*

Tesla's Wild Fight With the Feds Investigating Its Autopilot Death

*https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-investigation-ntsb-crash/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_041318_daily_list1_p4
<https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-investigation-ntsb-crash/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_041318_daily_list1_p4>*

Cloudflare's Plan to Protect the Whole Internet Comes Into Focus

*https://www.wired.com/story/cloudflare-spectrum-iot-protection/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_041318_daily_list3_p2
<https://www.wired.com/story/cloudflare-spectrum-iot-protection/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_041318_daily_list3_p2>*

The World’s Fastest Drones Want to Save Lives in America, Too

*https://www.wired.com/story/zipline-drone-delivery-reno-faa/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_040818_daily_list1_p1
<https://www.wired.com/story/zipline-drone-delivery-reno-faa/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_040818_daily_list1_p1>*

When Robots Milk Cows, Farm Families Taste Freedom

*https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/04/07/599259931/when-robots-milk-cows-farm-families-taste-freedom?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180407
<https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/04/07/599259931/when-robots-milk-cows-farm-families-taste-freedom?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180407>*

Mark Zuckerberg Answers to Congress for Facebook's Troubles

https://www.wired.com/story/mark-zuckerberg-congress-facebook-troubles?mbid=nl_041018_daily_list1_p1&CNDID=41291302

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

SpaceX’s President Is Thinking Even Bigger Than Elon Musk

https://www.wired.com/story/spacexs-president-is-thinking-even-bigger-than-elon-musk/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_041218_daily_list1_p4

Inside the Cleanroom Where NASA’s New Mars Lander Waits to Launch

https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-cleanroom-where-nasas-new-mars-lander-waits-to-launch/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_041118_daily_list3_p3

Are the aliens long gone?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/are-aliens-long-gone-ncna864411?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

NASA's Juno Mission Provides Infrared Tour of Jupiter's North Pole

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?release=2018-071

Powerful Atlas 5 rocket launches multi-satellite military payload

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-launch-alliance-atlas-5-rocket-launches-multi-satellite-pentagon-payload/

Rolls-Royce and Boeing invest in UK space engine

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43732035

Looking for Planet Nine, Astronomers Gaze into the Abyss

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/looking-for-planet-nine-astronomers-gaze-into-the-abyss/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Israel will boost desalination to fight a five-year drought
http://news.trust.org/item/20180409114815-km4iu/   A major climate boundary
in the central U.S. has shifted 140 miles due to global warming
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/04/13/climate-boundary-shifts-140-miles-global-warming/514911002/
  Want to save the world from hunger? Start by not wasting food, shoppers
told
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2018/apr/12/food-waste-recipe-for-disaster-global-hunger-fight-shoppers-warned-world-food-programme
  He Spent 40 Years Alone in the Woods, and Now Scientists Love Him
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/video/shorts/he-spent-40-years-alone-in-the-woods-and-now-scientists-love-him/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20180407video-maninwoodssfs&utm_campaign=Content&sf186442370=1

Ocean Current That Keeps Europe Warm Is Weakening
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/ocean-current-keeps-europe-warm-weakening-180968784/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Tungsten 'too brittle' for nuclear fusion reactors

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-tungsten-brittle-nuclear-fusion-reactors.html

Biologically inspired membrane purges coal-fired smoke of greenhouse gases

https://phys.org/news/2018-04-biologically-membrane-purges-coal-fired-greenhouse.html

Global shipping in 'historic' climate deal
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43759923   Sweden installs
section of electrified road
https://techxplore.com/news/2018-04-sweden-section-electrified-road.html
*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*   Researchers develop
transparent patch to detect dangerous food threats
https://phys.org/news/2018-04-transparent-patch-dangerous-food-threats.html
  The memory part of the brain may also hold clues for anxiety and
depression
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-04-memory-brain-clues-anxiety-depression.html
  Using caffeine as a catalyst, researchers create new gels for drug
delivery
https://phys.org/news/2018-04-caffeine-catalyst-gels-drug-delivery.html
*Other*

There’s No Scientific Basis for Race—It's a Made-Up Label

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/04/race-genetics-science-africa/

Watch: The First Trailer for ‘Mary Shelley’ Explores the Many Inspirations
for ‘Frankenstein’
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/watch-first-trailer-mary-shelley-180968791/?no-cache/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

He got fed up with Miami traffic, so now he commutes with dolphins and
pelicans

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article208126004.html

Helping Native Americans help themselves

https://www.usetinc.org/news/helping-native-americans-help-themselves-harvard-program-students-grapple-with-problems-facing-tribal-communities-442018/

Cambridge Analytica Could Have Also Accessed Private Facebook Messages

https://www.wired.com/story/cambridge-analytica-private-facebook-messages?mbid=nl_041018_daily_list1_p2&CNDID=41291302

‘The Boy Who Came Back From Heaven’ now wants his day in court

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/the-boy-who-came-back-from-heaven-now-wants-his-day-in-court/ar-AAvKxwr?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

Additional Informational

Frontline, the Last Generation

http://apps.frontline.org/the-last-generation/?linkId=50152782

United Nations, Let’s Face Racism

http://www.un.org/en/letsfightracism/

NOVA, Climate Change's Best Hope

http://www.pbs.org/video/climate-changes-best-hope-wfgae1/

New Graham Hancock the Evidence Mainstream Archaeology Does Not Want You to
See- Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZhSun9_SYs