[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 8-17-18

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 16:37:54 PDT 2018

*Weekly Science Report*

*August 17, 2018*

*“On the eve of battle, on a cold and windless night, an old general turned
to a young soldier. 'Tomorrow,' said the master, 'you will know Fear.' The
young soldier who had not yet experienced the agony of war looked at the
general with quizzical eyes. 'How will I know Fear if I do not know what it
looks like?' The general replied, 'You will know Fear because it speaks
very fast and it speaks very loud...' 'If that is how Fear acts,
recognizing it is easy.' But as the young soldier considered the general's
advice, she asked the question facing us now, 'Once I know Fear, how do I
defeat it?”*

Star Trek Discovery

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Animal fat on ancient pottery reveals a nearly catastrophic period of human
prehistory

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/08/animal-fat-ancient-pottery-shards-reveals-nearly-catastrophic-period-human-prehistory

Study confirms truth behind 'Darwin's moth'

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-truth-darwin-moth.html

An Elegy for Hatcher the Triceratops

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/blogs/national-museum-of-natural-history/2018/08/10/elegy-hatcher-triceratops/

*History*

Meet the Middle East’s Peace of Westphalia Re-enactors

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/10/meet-the-middle-easts-peace-of-westphalia-reenactors-iran-saudi-arabia-syria/

Death of a Dynasty: How the Romanovs Met Their End

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/archaeology-and-history/magazine/2018/07-08/romanov-dynasty-assassination-russia-history/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=facebook::cmp=editorial::add=fb20180815hist-romanovdeaths::rid=&sf195555918=1

Meet the many descendants of Renaissance master Caravaggio-Video

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/meet-the-many-descendants-of-renaissance-master-caravaggio-1294096451883?v=railb&cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_nw

Georgia man pleads guilty in cold-case racial slaying

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-courts/georgia-man-pleads-guilty-cold-case-racial-slaying-n901506?cid=sm_npd_ms_fb_ma

Abe Lincoln’s library faces so much debt it’s considering selling his stuff
— including his hat and gloves

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/abe-lincoln-s-library-faces-so-much-debt-it-s-considering-selling-his-stuff-including-his-hat-and-gloves/ar-BBM2pGg?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

The Site Of The Berlin Airlift Now Serves As Refugee Shelter And Big Open
Park

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/11/634394533/the-site-of-the-berlin-airlift-now-serves-as-refugee-shelter-and-big-open-park?sc=tw

Last surviving Nuremberg prosecutor fights for human rights, 70 years on

https://news.un.org/en/audio/2018/08/1016532

Henry I of Haiti: the little-known story of a king and his amazing building
spree

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/review/frederick-the-great-and-the-royals-bonbons

*Why Native Americans struggle to protect their sacred places*

https://theconversation.com/why-native-americans-struggle-to-protect-their-sacred-places-101300

Ricanstruction: how Puerto Rico's artists responded to the storm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/09/ricanstruction-puerto-ricos-artists-storm-maria#img-1

Easter Island’s society might not have ‘collapsed’ as previously thought

https://popular-archaeology.com/article/easter-islands-society-might-not-have-collapsed-as-previously-thought/

Dating the ancient Minoan eruption of Thera using tree rings

https://popular-archaeology.com/article/dating-the-ancient-minoan-eruption-of-thera-using-tree-rings/

*Archaeology*

Ancient Ceramic Cups Reveal Oldest Direct Evidence of Beer in Mesopotamia
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ancient-ceramic-cups-reveal-oldest-direct-evidence-beer-mesopotamia-180969975/

Stolen Buddha statue returning home after 57 years

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/15/asia/stolen-buddha-india-uk---intl/index.html?platform=hootsuite

British Museum kept a Statute for 150 Years, now Easter Island wants it back

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/arts/design/easter-island-british-museum.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Underwater drone shows wreckage of WWII destroyer USS Abner Read off
Alaska’s coast- Video

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/underwater-drone-shows-wreckage-of-wwii-destroyer-uss-abner-read-off-alaska-s-coast-1300203587710?v=raila&cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma
  Trophy Heads and Mummies Discovered in Ancient Peruvian Pits
https://www.livescience.com/63295-trophy-heads-mummies-ancient-peru-pits.html

Ancient Octagon-Shaped Tomb Reveals Morbid Tales from Mongol-Ruled China

https://www.livescience.com/63301-ancient-morbid-mural-tomb-china.html

*Egyptology*

Unpublished Egyptian texts reveal new insights into ancient medicine

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-unpublished-egyptian-texts-reveal-insights.html

Multilingualism along the Nile

http://blogs.getty.edu/iris/multilingualism-along-the-nile/

Rediscovering the sources of Egyptian metals

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/e-rts080718.php

Prehistoric mummy reveals ancient Egyptian embalming 'recipe' was around
for millennia

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/uoy-pmr081318.php

*General Science*

A new defensive technique could hold off attackers by making software
buggier

*https://techxplore.com/news/2018-08-defensive-technique-software-buggier.html
<https://techxplore.com/news/2018-08-defensive-technique-software-buggier.html>*

China shows off automated doctors, teachers and combat stars

*https://phys.org/news/2018-08-china-automated-doctors-teachers-combat.html
<https://phys.org/news/2018-08-china-automated-doctors-teachers-combat.html>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

The Universe as We Understand It May Be Impossible

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/08/dark-energy-string-theory/567221/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_term=2018-08-13T12%3A00%3A56&utm_content=edit-promo&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

This is the rover China will send to the dark side of the moon

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/16/asia/china-lunar-rover-intl/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2018-08-16T10%3A04%3A12

Ultra hot planet has iron and titanium in its atmosphere

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/08/16/europe/hot-planet-intl/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2018-08-16T09%3A00%3A19

Mind blown: Oldest galaxies in the universe found

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/mind-blown-oldest-galaxies-in-the-universe-found/ar-BBM1KP5?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

How many humans would it take to keep our species alive? One scientist's
surprising answer

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/how-many-humans-would-it-take-keep-our-species-alive-ncna900151?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma
  This Solar Probe Is Built to Survive a Brush With the Sun
https://www.wired.com/story/parker-solar-probe-brush-with-the-sun/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_08122018_daily_list1_p3
  Star-Swallowing Black Holes Reveal Secrets in Exotic Light Shows
https://www.wired.com/story/star-swallowing-black-holes-reveal-secrets/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_081018_daily_list1_p2

The President Wants a Space Force. He Might Get One.

https://www.wired.com/story/space-force-mike-pence-pentagon/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_081018_daily_list1_p4

How Einstein's equivalence principle extends to the quantum world

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-einstein-equivalence-principle-quantum-world.html

Magnetized inflow accreting to center of Milky Way galaxy

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-magnetized-inflow-accreting-center-milky.html

Lockheed Martin gives first look into where astronauts may live on missions
to deep space

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-lockheed-martin-astronauts-missions-deep.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Scientists find way to make mineral which can remove CO2 from atmosphere

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-scientists-mineral-co2-atmosphere.html

Researchers may be on brink of solving deadly red tides

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/red-tides-florida-researchers-may-have-come-up-with-a-solution-2018-08-16/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0h&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b76698a04d301229eb7cc70&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

The great African regreening: millions of 'magical' new trees bring renewal

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/16/regreening-niger-how-magical-gaos-transformed-land?CMP=fb_gu
  How Solar Is Conquering the Grid
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a22691593/eia-report-solar-price/
  How Engineering the Climate Could Mess With Our Food
https://www.wired.com/story/how-engineering-the-climate-could-mess-with-our-food/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_08122018_daily_list3_p3

*We are guinea pigs in a worldwide experiment on microplastics*

https://theconversation.com/we-are-guinea-pigs-in-a-worldwide-experiment-on-microplastics-97514

At 'America First Energy Conference', solar power is dumb, climate change
is fake

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-climatechange/at-america-first-energy-conference-solar-power-is-dumb-climate-change-is-fake-idUSKBN1KU1Y1

Scientists identify enzyme that could help accelerate biofuel production

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/tiot-sie081618.php

Acid coastal seas off US putting common fish species at risk

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/gc-acs081518.php

Making aquafeed more sustainable: Scientists develop feeds using a marine
microalga co-product

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/dc-mam081718.php

Renewable resort: Greek island to run on wind, solar power

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-08-renewable-resort-greek-island-solar.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

New York University offers free tuition to all medical students

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/york-university-offers-free-tuition-medical-students-170408549--abc-news-topstories.html

Technology, strategy and robots: lessons learned from North America’s first
fully digital hospital

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sponsor-story/studer-group-a-huron-solution/2018/08/06/technology-strategy-and-robots-lessons-learned-north-americas-first-fully-digital-hospital/891674002/

Texas A&M team develops new way to grow blood vessels

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-08/tau-tat081718.php

Weaponizing oxygen to kill infections and disease

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-weaponizing-oxygen-infections-disease.html

*Other*

'Star Trek' star George Takei says sci-fi can be 'a trailblazer' for social
change

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/star-trek-star-george-takei-says-sci-fi-can-be-n900651?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Dogs Use 19 Signals to Tell Us What They Want

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2018/07/dog-referential-signaling-gestures/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=facebook::cmp=editorial::add=fb20180817animals-recentdogsignals::rid=&sf195715859=1

A Mysterious Furry 'Sea Monster' Has Washed Up on a Russian Beach

http://time.com/5370051/furry-sea-monster-washes-up-russia/?utm_campaign=time&utm_source=facebook.com&xid=time_socialflow_facebook&utm_medium=social

Meet the Man With a Radical Plan for Blockchain Voting

https://www.wired.com/story/santiago-siri-radical-plan-for-blockchain-voting/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_081718_daily_leadposition1__list1_p1

Additional Informational

Daniel Barenboim and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra perform Tchaikovsky
and Scriabin- Audio

https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bf21k0

NASA Turbolift Project

https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/2017_Phase_I_Phase_II/Turbolift

Science under Trump: Voices of Scientists across 16 Federal Agencies (2018)

https://www.ucsusa.org/center-science-and-democracy/promoting-scientific-integrity/scientist-survey-2018?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fb#.W3SE8mczUdU

Wearable mHealth Device Detects Abnormal Heart Rhythms Earlier

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2018/07/17/wearable-mhealth-device-detects-abnormal-heart-rhythms-earlier/

UNESCO: Countering Violent Extremism & Safeguarding Cultural Heritage

https://betterworldcampaign.org/blog/unesco-countering-violent-extremism-safeguarding-cultural-heritage/