[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 12-21-18

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 17:42:20 PST 2018

*Weekly Science Report*

*December 21, 2018*

*“The way we think about our origins is the foundation for the way we think
of ourselves, our relationship to the Earth, our relationships to one
another, our capabilities and our destiny.”*

Gregg Braden

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Lab study adds credence to life arriving on Earth from asteroids theory

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-lab-credence-life-earth-asteroids.html

Ape-Like and Human-Like Features Found in Hominin Brain

https://www.archaeology.org/news/7263-181221-little-foot-brain

Ankylosaurs likely regulated body temperature with elaborate nasal passages
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/p-alr121218.php   Pterosaurs
may have been covered in fur and primitive feathers
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-reptile-pterosaur-fossils-fur-primitive-feathers?tgt=nr

*History*

Will humanity survive this century? Sir Martin Rees predicts 'a bumpy ride'
ahead

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/will-humanity-survive-century-sir-martin-rees-predicts-bumpy-ride-ncna934071?cid=db_pd_nn_ky_mc_180305&kwp_0=1058350&kwp_4=3536021&kwp_1=1480037

The key to cracking long-dead languages?

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20181207-how-ai-could-help-us-with-ancient-languages-like-sumerian

New Book Leaves Norway’s ‘Heroic Role’ in the Holocaust in Tatters

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/.premium-new-book-leaves-norway-s-heroic-role-in-the-holocaust-in-tatters-1.6766712

Ancient Aramaic Incantation Describes 'Devourer' that Brings 'Fire' to
Victims

https://www.livescience.com/64362-ancient-aramaic-incantation-describes-devourer.html

Surfer's ear points to ancient pearl divers in Panama

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-surfer-ear-ancient-pearl-divers.html

*Archaeology*

‘Spirits Won’t Rest’: DNA Links Ancient Bones to Living Aboriginal
Australians

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/19/science/dna-bones-aboriginal-australians.html

Archeologists find remains of baby born 5,700 years ago in Argentina’s
Mendoza

https://www.dailysabah.com/history/2018/12/19/archeologists-find-remains-of-baby-born-5700-years-ago-in-argentinas-mendoza

New clue surfaces in underwater hunt for conquistador’s lost ships

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/12/exclusive-clue-underwater-hunt-conquistador-lost-ships-archaeology/

This Native American Nation Maintained Canals In The Face Of Flooding For
Over 1000 Years

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidanderson/2018/12/17/native-americans-worked-to-maintain-canals-in-the-face-of-flooding-1000-years-ago/#337395ec1213

Extremely important Early Christian monument unearthed on western coastline
of Akrotiri peninsula

https://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/33772-extremely-important-early-christian-monument-unearthed-on-western-coastline-of-akrotiri-peninsula.html

Returning indigenous remains to their ancestral lands, thanks to ancient DNA

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/aaft-rir121718.php

Ancient pots reveal reptile pee pigments and cultural connections

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2018/12/ancient-paracas-pots-reptile-urine-chavin-connections/

*Egyptology*

Egypt tomb: Saqqara 'one of a kind' discovery revealed

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-46580264?SThisFB

3000-year Tomb Contains Intact Coffins discovered in Luxor
<https://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.com/2018/11/breaking-news-3000-year-tomb-contains.html>

https://luxortimesmagazine.blogspot.com/2018/11/breaking-news-3000-year-tomb-contains.html?m=1

Blocks found in Egypt bear name of famed pharaoh's builder

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-blocks-egypt-famed-pharaoh-builder.amp?__twitter_impression=true

1st stage of restoration works in Madi village begins

http://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/61839/1st-stage-of-restoration-works-in-Madi-village-begins

*General Science*

Debunked: 8 myths about AI's effect on the workplace

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/08/debunking-8-myths-about-ai-in-the-workplace

How self-driving tractors, AI, and precision agriculture will save us from
the impending food crisis

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-self-driving-tractors-ai-and-precision-agriculture-will-save-us-from-the-impending-food-crisis/?platform=hootsuite

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Behind the Scenes of Virgin Galactic’s First Space Mission

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/behind-the-scenes-of-virgin-galactics-first-space-mission?utm_source=twitter&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_medium=social&utm_brand=tny

A nuclear-powered 'tunnelbot' to search for life on Jupiter's icy moon
Europa

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-nuclear-powered-tunnelbot-life-jupiter-icy.html

Scientists discover 'Farout,' the most distant solar system object ever seen

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/scientists-discover-farout-most-distant-solar-system-object-ever-seen-ncna949131?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

A SpaceX Booster Went for a Swim and Came Back as Scrap Metal

https://www.wired.com/story/a-spacex-booster-went-for-a-swim-and-came-back-as-scrap-metal/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_122018_daily_list1_p4&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20122018%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

Satellite study proves global quantum communication will be possible

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-12-satellite-global-quantum.html

The Mad Scramble to Claim the World's Most Coveted Meteorite

https://www.wired.com/story/scramble-claim-worlds-most-coveted-meteorite/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_121718_daily_list1_p3&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20121718%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

NASA research reveals Saturn is losing its rings at 'worst-case-scenario'
rate

https://m.phys.org/news/2018-12-nasa-reveals-saturn-worst-case-scenario.html

Next-generation of GPS satellites are headed to space

https://apnews.com/b05b1b6d22ec4058bf7419744205104b

NASA says mysterious light in the sky Wednesday was a meteor

https://ksby.com/news/local-news/2018/12/20/nasa-says-mysterious-light-in-the-sky-wednesday-was-a-meteor?fbclid=IwAR23i0G3AMxguP1X7E6UoLssYxhJMHadIniNlAhNi_bACjn_CxSxex0QSYg

Baby star's fiery tantrum could create the building blocks of planets

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-12/uow-bsf122118.php

SpaceX launches Air Force's best GPS yet, ends banner year

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-spacex-air-gps-banner-year.html

Seeds of giant galaxies formed in the early universe

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-seeds-giant-galaxies-early-universe.html

With First-Ever Landing on Moon’s Farside, China Enters “Luna Incognita”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/with-first-ever-landing-on-moons-farside-china-enters-luna-incognita/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Deep Seagrass Bed Could Stall Climate Change, If Climate Change Doesn't
Kill It First

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/16/676913451/deep-seagrass-bed-could-stall-climate-change-if-climate-change-doesnt-kill-it-fi?sc=tw

*Using archaeology to understand the past, present, future of
climate change*

https://theconversation.com/using-archaeology-to-understand-the-past-present-future-of-climate-change-108668

Beijing Could Choke The World Or Save It

https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/12/12/beijing-could-choke-the-world-or-save-it/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

L.A. is making a massive push toward zero-emissions transportation
<https://www.fastcompany.com/90234541/l-a-is-making-a-massive-push-toward-zero-emissions-transportation>

https://www.fastcompany.com/90234541/l-a-is-making-a-massive-push-toward-zero-emissions-transportation?partner=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rss%20fastcompany&utm_content=rss&mc_cid=d09b813220&mc_eid=9522e00e9d

Ancient Antarctic ice sheet collapse could happen again, triggering a new
global flood

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-ancient-antarctic-ice-sheet-collapse.html

Malta energy storage system is looking forward to first pilot

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-12-malta-energy-storage.html

The U.S. Just Finalized The Largest Offshore Wind Sale in the Nation's
History

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a25605212/offshore-wind-auction-marthas-vineyard/

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

CRISPR BABIES, IVF, AND THE ETHICS OF GENETIC CLASS WARFARE

https://www.wired.com/story/crispr-babies-ivf-and-the-ethics-of-genetic-class-warfare/amp?__twitter_impression=true

*Other*

These Dragon Christmas Decorations Are Tearing a Neighborhood Apart

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/gy73m4/dragon-christmas-decorations-neighbors-angry-demonic-inflatables-halos-louisiana-vgtrn?utm_source=vicefbus&fbclid=IwAR3V6MzTgm4GAh0zlYV_MaedIzIsm2lg81ldQ5qeVaAPKeb7Pfyh8W7lgBY

The World Has A New Largest-Known Prime Number

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/21/679207604/the-world-has-a-new-largest-known-prime-number?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2051&fbclid=IwAR1qHFBR3UI0CTLoMfPYTUsfTCjfaPiQmn7ciDq4UAstu95SG0MdliTkKig

>From 3-D Printed Gills to AI Dolphin Dictionaries, These Innovations Could
Make Us More Like Aquaman
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/from-3-d-printed-gills-to-ai-dolphin-dictionaries-these-innovations-could-make-us-more-like-aquaman-180971108/

Additional Informational

Oskar Schindler’s Motivations, as Told by Holocaust Survivors

https://medium.com/@HolocaustMuseum/oskar-schindlers-motivations-as-told-by-holocaust-survivors-601ea6630533

Top 6 Human Evolution Discoveries of 2018

https://blogs.plos.org/scicomm/2018/12/11/top-6-human-evolution-discoveries-of-2018/

Lisa Nip: How Can We Engineer The Human Body To Survive On Mars ... And
Beyond?

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/21/678641893/lisa-nip-how-can-we-engineer-the-human-body-to-survive-on-mars-and-beyond

These 2018 findings could be big news — if they turn out to be true

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/big-if-true-science-stories-2018-yir