[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 6-22-18

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 19:17:07 PDT 2018

*Weekly Science Report*

*June 22, 2018*

*“I exist not to be loved and admired, but to love and act.  It is not the
duty of those around me to love me.  Rather, it is my duty to be concerned
about the world, about man.”*

Janusz Korczak

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

A Sneaky Theory of Where Language Came From

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/06/toolmaking-language-brain/562385/?utm_source=atlfb

Weapons reveal how this 5,300-year-old ice mummy lived -- and died

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/health/otzi-tyrolean-iceman-mummy-new-study/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNNi&utm_content=2018-06-21T06%3A15%3A04&utm_medium=social

500 million year old sea creature named after President Obama

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/500-million-year-old-sea-creature-named-after-president-obama/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=53332318
  Montana burial site answers questions about early humans
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-06/tau-mbs061918.php

Bird's Song Staying Power Implies Culture

https://www.scientificamerican.com/podcast/episode/birds-song-staying-power-implies-culture/

*History*

*How Native American food is tied to important sacred stories*

https://theconversation.com/how-native-american-food-is-tied-to-important-sacred-stories-97770

Jefferson's Monticello Makes Room For Sally Hemings

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/16/620311433/jeffersons-monticello-makes-room-for-sally-hemings?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180617

Aztec Turquoise Tiles May Solve a Mesoamerican Mystery

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/13/science/turquoise-aztecs-mexico.html

Recalling internment, Japanese Americans condemn family separations

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/recalling-internment-japanese-americans-condemn-family-separations-n884861?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

The Hammond Train Wreck of 1918 Killed Scores of Circus Performers
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/hammond-train-wreck-disaster-1918-killed-dozens-circus-performers-180969428/

The Unheralded Pioneers of 19th-Century America Were Free African-American
Families
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/unheralded-pioneers-19th-century-america-were-free-african-american-families-180969400/

*Archaeology*

Google and the World Monuments Fund highlight Iraqi heritage under threat
https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/google-and-the-world-monuments-fund-highlight-iraqi-heritage-under-threat?utm_source=daily_june6_2018&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=email_daily&utm_source=The+Art+Newspaper+Newsletters&utm_campaign=a9f81e1bbe-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_06_05_06_08&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c459f924d0-a9f81e1bbe-60907441

Sculpted head of mystery biblical king found in Israel
https://www.apnews.com/dd3713cc12f24a4090d1a34b650bdd5f

Civil War Battlefield 'Limb Pit' Reveals Work Of Combat Surgeons

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/06/20/620394034/civil-war-battlefield-limb-pit-reveals-work-of-combat-surgeons?sc=tw

This ancient Chinese tomb held a royal, her extinct ape — and a warning

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/this-ancient-chinese-tomb-held-a-royal-her-extinct-ape-and-a-warning/ar-AAyYJLc?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

Swedes have been brewing beer since the Iron Age, new evidence confirms

https://popular-archaeology.com/article/swedes-have-been-brewing-beer-since-the-iron-age-new-evidence-confirms/

Enigmatic Stone Balls from 5,000 Years Ago Continue to Baffle Archaeologists

https://www.livescience.com/62843-enigmatic-stone-balls-scotland.html

Ming Dynasty city found in Jiangxi Province

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-06/19/c_137265206.htm

Sun Storm

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/304-1807/from-the-trenches/6700-trenches-mexico-aztec-stone-disk

*Egyptology*

Nothing to report

*General Science*

Inside the Mad Lab That's Getting Robots to Walk and Jump Like Us

*https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-mad-lab-thats-getting-robots-to-walk-and-jump-like-us/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061418_daily_list3_p5
<https://www.wired.com/story/inside-the-mad-lab-thats-getting-robots-to-walk-and-jump-like-us/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061418_daily_list3_p5>*

Startup Working on Contentious Pentagon AI Project Was Hacked

*https://www.wired.com/story/startup-working-on-contentious-pentagon-ai-project-was-hacked/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061318_daily_list1_p2
<https://www.wired.com/story/startup-working-on-contentious-pentagon-ai-project-was-hacked/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061318_daily_list1_p2>*

Self-Driving Cars Likely Won’t Steal Your Job (Until 2040)

*https://www.wired.com/story/self-driving-car-job-impact-economy-savings-safe-report/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061318_daily_list3_p4
<https://www.wired.com/story/self-driving-car-job-impact-economy-savings-safe-report/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061318_daily_list3_p4>*

China is building drone planes for its aircraft carriers

*https://www.popsci.com/china-drone-planes-aircraft-carrier?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=5b1cfdb904d3010d47225f38&utm_medium=&utm_source
<https://www.popsci.com/china-drone-planes-aircraft-carrier?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=5b1cfdb904d3010d47225f38&utm_medium=&utm_source>*

This computer can do more calculations per second than the world's
population could do in a year

*https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/09/world/supercomputer-summit-america-china-trnd/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2018-06-09T18%3A30%3A18&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN
<https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/09/world/supercomputer-summit-america-china-trnd/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_content=2018-06-09T18%3A30%3A18&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN>*

Controlling robots with brainwaves and hand gestures

*https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-06/miot-crw061818.php
<https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-06/miot-crw061818.php>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Can Physicists Find Time Travelers on Facebook?

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/01/can-physicists-find-time-travelers-on-facebook/282718/?utm_source=atlfb

We could move to another planet with a spaceship like this

https://www.popsci.com/realistic-generational-spaceship?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=5b25816604d3014f4a75946b&utm_medium=&utm_source
=

Puerto Rico's Observatory Is Still Recovering From Hurricane Maria

https://www.wired.com/story/puerto-ricos-observatory-is-still-recovering-from-hurricane-maria/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061618_daily_list1_p4

NASA reveals new plan to stop asteroids before they hit Earth

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/nasa-reveals-new-plan-stop-asteroids-they-hit-earth-ncna885316?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Martian dust storm has become 'planet-encircling,' NASA says

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/us/mars-curiosity-rover-giant-storm/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNNi&utm_content=2018-06-21T08%3A00%3A19&utm_medium=social

Physicists show that it is impossible to mask quantum information in
correlations

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-physicists-impossible-mask-quantum.html

Air Force says planning for Space Force will be 'thorough' and 'deliberate'

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-air-force-space-force-20180620-story.html

Bedrock in West Antarctica rising at surprisingly rapid rate

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-bedrock-west-antarctica-surprisingly-rapid.html

Einstein proved right in another galaxy

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-einstein-galaxy.html

Unconfirmed near-Earth objects

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-unconfirmed-near-earth.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

The Potential Pitfalls of Sucking Carbon From the Atmosphere

https://www.wired.com/story/the-potential-pitfalls-of-sucking-carbon-from-the-atmosphere/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_061318_daily_list3_p1

Free Power From Freeways? China Is Testing Roads Paved With Solar Panels

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/11/business/energy-environment/china-solar-roads-renewables.html

Wanna Pull Water Out of Air? Grab Some Ions or a Weird Sponge
https://www.wired.com/story/pull-water-out-of-air/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_060918_daily_list1_p4

Laser bursts generate electricity faster than any other method

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-laser-electricity-faster-method.html

Firm Prepares To Mine Land Previously Protected As A National Monument

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/21/622128554/firm-prepares-to-mine-land-previously-protected-as-a-national-monument?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180621

Reversing Obama's initiatives, Trump focuses national ocean policy on
business

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/reversing-obama-s-initiatives-trump-focuses-national-ocean-policy-business-n885211?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

NIF achieves record double fusion yield

https://www.llnl.gov/news/nif-achieves-record-double-fusion-yield

Chemists report biorenewable, biodegradable plastic alternative

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-chemists-biorenewable-biodegradable-plastic-alternative.html

Renewables Will Make Up 50 Percent of the World's Energy by 2050

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a21756137/renewables-50-percent-energy-2050/

NASA Is Stepping Into the Twilight Zone

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a21602787/nasa-plankton-global-warming-science/

Oil and Gas Facilities Leak More Methane than Previously Thought

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/oil-and-gas-facilities-leak-more-methane-than-previously-thought/

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*   Lithgow panther an enduring
mystery amid hundreds of sightings, claims of a cover-up
http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-13/could-the-lithgow-panther-actually-exist/9116232?pfmredir=sm

DNA test solves mystery of wolf-like creature shot in Montana

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dna-test-reveals-identity-of-mysterious-wolf-creature-shot-in-montana/?ftag=COS-05-10aaa0h&utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_content=5b29d66904d301600b2fde6f&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Living inside a canister: Dallas polio survivor is one of few people left
in U.S. using iron lung

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/science-medicine/2018/05/25/living-inside-canister-dallas-polio-survivor-one-people-left-us-using-iron-lung

Researchers Find Herpes Viruses In Brains Marked By Alzheimer's Disease

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2018/06/21/621908340/researchers-find-herpes-viruses-in-brains-marked-by-alzheimers-disease?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180621

Towards personalized medicine: One type of data is not enough
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-06/embl-tpm062018.php   Study
reveals new therapeutic target for slowing the spread of flu virus
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-06-reveals-therapeutic-flu-virus.html
  Low-cost
plastic sensors could monitor a range of health conditions
https://techxplore.com/news/2018-06-low-cost-plastic-sensors-range-health.html

*Other*

The face of God is in the eye of the beholder, researchers say

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/face-god-eye-beholder-researchers-say-n882491?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

California is creating one big online community college

https://amp.cnn.com/money/2018/06/19/pf/college/california-online-community-college/index.html

MIT Clears Junot Díaz Of Sexual Misconduct Allegations

https://www.npr.org/2018/06/20/622094905/mit-clears-junot-diaz-of-sexual-misconduct-allegations?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180621

Additional Informational

Nothing to report