[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 3-2-18

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 07:44:33 PST 2018

*Weekly Science Report*

*March 2, 2018*

*“A solider asked the General how do I defeat fear? The General’s answered,
that the only way to defeat fear is to tell it no.  No we will not take
shortcuts on the road to righteousness.  No we will not break the rules
that protect us from our basis instincts.  No we will not allow desperation
to destroy moral authority.  I am guilty of all these things.  Some say in
life that there are no second chances, experiences tells me that this
true.  But we can only look forward, we have to be torch bearers, casting
the light so we may see our path to lasting peace.  We will continue
exploring, discovering new worlds and new civilizations.  Yes that is the
United Federation of Planets.”*

Star Trek Discovery

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

A glimpse into the last 15,000 years in Aberdeen
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5435411/Bypass-excavations-uncover-15-000-year-old-items.html

Facebook censors 30,000 year-old Venus of Willendorf as 'pornographic'

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/facebook-censors-famous-30-000-year-old-nude-statue-as-pornographic

Rare, 7,000-year-old burial site discovered in Gulf of Mexico off Florida
coast

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rare-7000-year-old-burial-site-discovered-in-gulf-of-mexico-off-florida-coast/ar-BBJIp5i?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SL5FDHP

WSU researchers extract nicotine from ancient dental plaque for the first
time

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-02/wsu-wre022618.php

Shelters with echoes thought to be preferred sites for prehistoric rock art

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-echoes-thought-sites-prehistoric-art.html

*History*

*How people talk now holds clues about human migration centuries ago*

https://theconversation.com/how-people-talk-now-holds-clues-about-human-migration-centuries-ago-91891

Trump’s Nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize Was Apparently Forged. Twice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/world/europe/nobel-peace-prize-trump-fake-nomination.html

Cambodian genocide documented in victims' preserved clothes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-5452797/Victims-clothing-vivid-reminder-Cambodian-genocide.html

Study: US inequality persists 50 years after landmark report

https://apnews.com/5b86a6a0b24a42dfa832103e686144c0

Metropolitan Museum Turns Away Visitor in 18th-Century Style Gown

https://hyperallergic.com/428998/metropolitan-museum-18th-century-gown-visitor-barred/

DNA sheds light on settlement of Pacific

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43265137

Study offers blueprint for community-based public history research

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-02/ncsu-so022818.php

The Mesopotamian Merchant Files

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/291-1803/trenches/6363-trenches-kanesh-mesopotamian-trade-networks

Khirbet Qeiyafa, the Biblical Tradition and King David

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/winter-2018/article/khirbet-qeiyafa-the-biblical-tradition-and-king-david

Archaeologist uncovers hidden history of conquistadors in American South

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-archaeologist-uncovers-hidden-history-conquistadors.html

Picasso painting offered in money-laundering scheme, US feds say

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/picasso-painting-offered-in-money-laundering-scheme-us-feds-say

Church of the Holy Sepulchre re-opened after three-day protest closure

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/holy-sepulchre-re-opened-after-three-day-protest-closure

*Archaeology*

A fire may have damaged precious relics at Tibet’s holiest temple. China
says no — but experts aren't sure

http://www.latimes.com/world/asia/la-fg-china-temple-fire-20180222-story.html

A golden age in the Americas when even artists were 'spoils of war'

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/preview/a-golden-age-when-even-artists-were-spoils-of-war

Country’s largest number of archaeological sites in Kapilvastu
<https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/largest-number-archaeological-sites-kapilvastu/>

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/largest-number-archaeological-sites-kapilvastu/

The Green family’s other collection

https://religionnews.com/2018/02/21/the-green-familys-other-collection/

Zinke Cancels Chaco Canyon lease sale

https://www.abqjournal.com/1140105

Minaret of Jam documentation short video revealed

https://www.pajhwok.com/en/2018/02/19/minaret-jam-documentation-short-video-revealed

Human Remains Recovered From World War II Wreckage

https://www.archaeology.org/news/6415-180302-world-war-palau

End of Empire: The Archaeological Excavations at Ziyaret Tepe

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/winter-2018/article/end-of-empire-the-archaeological-excavations-at-ziyaret-tepe

Archaeology: ancient marine structure discovered in Aqaba

http://www.ansamed.info/ansamed/en/news/sections/generalnews/2018/02/27/archaeology-ancient-marine-structure-discovered-in-aqaba_f342ea84-62fd-4999-b480-39af8aa733f8.html

Rain in Iraq Ends Drought, Uncovers Historic Ruins

https://aawsat.com/english/home/article/1189666/rain-iraq-ends-drought-uncovers-historic-ruins

Complex buildings and buried architectural remains unearthed in Valley of
Argolis

http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-news/culture/30317-%CE%B9ntricate-buildings-and-buried-architectural-remains-unearthed-in-valley-of-argolis.html

Archaeology in northern Alaska: a race against the clock

https://www.ktoo.org/2018/02/23/archaeology-northern-alaska-race-clock/

Bayeux Tapestry to be conserved in London?

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/bayeux-tapestry-conserved-in-london

*Egyptology*

Archaeologists in Egypt unearth the head and chest of a statue of Ramses II
just days after sun ceremony marking the ancient pharaoh's birthday
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5442287/Parts-newly-discovered-Ramses-II-statue-Egypt.html

'Message from afterlife' in Egypt tomb

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/message-from-afterlife-in-egypt-tomb/ar-BBJBnez?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SL5FDHP

*General Science*

Computer Teacher With No Computers Chalks Up Clever Classroom Plan

*https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/03/01/589519475/computer-teacher-with-no-computers-chalks-up-clever-classroom-plan?sc=tw
<https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/03/01/589519475/computer-teacher-with-no-computers-chalks-up-clever-classroom-plan?sc=tw>*

Whoosh! Virgin Unveils Hyperloop that Will Travel 760 Mph

https://www.livescience.com/61847-virgin-hyperloop-dubai-to-abu-dhabi.html?utm_content=buffer4e536&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Quantum computers go silicon

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/quantum-computers-go-silicon

Want more efficient simulators? Store time in a quantum superposition

*https://phys.org/news/2018-03-efficient-simulators-quantum-superposition.html
<https://phys.org/news/2018-03-efficient-simulators-quantum-superposition.html>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Improved Hubble yardstick gives fresh evidence for new physics in the
universe

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-hubble-yardstick-fresh-evidence-physics.html

Watch NOAA's New GOES-S Weather Satellite Launch Live

https://www.wired.com/story/noaas-goes-s-satellite-is-a-game-changer-for-severe-weather-forecasts/

*Signal detected from the first stars in the universe, with a hint that
dark matter was involved*

https://theconversation.com/signal-detected-from-the-first-stars-in-the-universe-with-a-hint-that-dark-matter-was-involved-92427

Stars around the Milky Way: Cosmic space invaders or victims of galactic
eviction?

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-stars-milky-cosmic-space-invaders.html

Alien life in our Solar System? Study hints at Saturn's moon

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-alien-life-solar-hints-saturn.html

Moon to get 4G mobile network

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/technology-43211192/moon-to-get-4g-mobile-network

Tesla in space could carry bacteria from Earth

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-tesla-space-bacteria-earth.html

Fifty Years Ago, a Grad Student’s Discovery Changed the Course of
Astrophysics
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/Fifty-years-ago-grad-students-discovery-changed-course-astrophysics-180968288/#utHDz7t1sBeX8oBT.01

>From shellfish to plankton, DARPA program turns creatures into sensors

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2018/02/28/from-dolphins-to-plankton-darpa-program-turns-creatures-into-sensors/

NASA finds a large amount of water in an exoplanet's atmosphere

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-nasa-large-amount-exoplanet-atmosphere.html

New study reveals the secret of magmas that produce global treasures

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-03/uotw-nsr030118.php

New data helps explain recent fluctuations in Earth's magnetic field

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-02/uor-ndh022818.php

How we discovered the strange physics of jets from supermassive black holes

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-strange-physics-jets-supermassive-black.html

Scientists observe a new quantum particle with properties of ball lightning

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-scientists-quantum-particle-properties-ball.html

Plasma bubbles help trigger massive magnetic events in outer space

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-plasma-trigger-massive-magnetic-events.html

A stellar system with three super-Earths

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-stellar-super-earths.html

Meet TESS, NASA’s Next Step in the Quest for Alien Earths

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/meet-tess-nasa-rsquo-s-next-step-in-the-quest-for-alien-earths/

New Mexico’s Sad Bet on Space Exploration

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/03/new-mexicos-sad-bet-on-space-exploration/554243/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Big Data Suggests Big Potential for Urban Farming

https://www.wired.com/story/big-data-suggests-big-potential-for-urban-farming/

US lands agency makeover would diminish Washington’s power

https://apnews.com/e146c871887e412dba977a57f5c52e32/US-lands-agency-makeover-would-diminish-Washington's-power

How A Skeptical Rancher, Aided By An Outdoors Brand, Turned Climate Friendly

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/02/26/588005181/how-a-skeptical-rancher-aided-by-an-outdoors-brand-turned-climate-friendly?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180226

Arctic seed vault turning 10 faces 'unprecedented' agricultural challenges

http://news.trust.org/item/20180226154345-04cuz/

Morocco turns the Sahara desert into a solar energy oasis

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/morocco-turns-the-sahara-desert-into-a-solar-energy-oasis?utm_content=buffer4d231&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Here's Why Environmentalists Are Cheering The Latest Burger At Sonic
Drive-In

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/03/02/590253046/heres-why-environmentalists-are-cheering-the-latest-burger-at-sonic-drive-in

>From Almonds To Rice, Climate Change Could Slash California Crop Yields By
2050

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/03/02/590056872/from-almonds-to-rice-climate-change-could-slash-california-crop-yields-by-2050

Relying on renewables alone significantly inflates the cost of overhauling
energy

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610366/relying-on-renewables-alone-would-significantly-raise-the-cost-of-overhauling-the-energy/

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

A Secretive Sect Opens A Debate On Female Genital Mutilation

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2018/02/28/589173639/a-secretive-sect-opens-a-debate-on-female-genital-mutilation

Echolocation in humans found to be more sensitive than thought

https://phys.org/news/2018-02-echolocation-humans-sensitive-thought.html

Artificial eye flexes muscle to do what the human eye can't

https://newatlas.com/harvard-artificial-muscle-eye/53585/

Creating the World's Largest Genetic Library

https://www.wnyc.org/story/creating-worlds-largest-genetic-library/

World first offers whale's-eye look beneath the ocean

https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/02/15/19/57/minke-whale-camera-offers-close-look-at-sea-giants-life

Newly discovered giant viruses have 'the most complete translational
apparatus of known virosphere'

https://phys.org/news/2018-03-newly-giant-viruses-apparatus-virosphere.html

Why Barbra Streisand's cloned dogs aren't identical to the original

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/barbra-streisands-cloned-dogs-arent-identical-to-the-original/

Young-Blood Transfusions Are on the Menu at Society Gala

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/young-blood-transfusions-are-on-the-menu-at-society-gala/

Secret Penguin Supercolony Discovered on Danger Islands

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a19053965/secret-penguin-supercolony-danger-islands/

The high-tech medicine of the future may be biased in favor of well-off
white men

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610367/the-high-tech-medicine-of-the-future-may-be-biased-in-favor-of-well-off-white-men/

Forecasts of genetic fate just got a lot more accurate

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610251/forecasts-of-genetic-fate-just-got-a-lot-more-accurate/

*Other*

*Kite Runner *author Khaled Hosseini's next book will tackle the refugee
crisis

http://ew.com/books/2018/02/21/khaled-hosseini-new-book-refugee-crisis/

President Trump Nominates Jon Parrish Peede as Chairman of the National
Endowment for the Humanities

https://www.neh.gov/news/press-release/2018-03-02?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

A 10,000-year clock is being built under a mountain owned by Jeff Bezos

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/10-000-year-clock-being-built-under-mountain-owned-jeff-ncna851276?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Additional Informational

TED Talk, How We Can Reduce Prejudice with a Conversation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=xN6O5LTaGyg&app=desktop

This Mysterious Event Led to the Spanish-American War- Video
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/history/this-mysterious-event-led-to-the-spanish-ame/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

TED Talk, Religion, evolution, and the ecstasy of self-transcendence

https://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_humanity_s_stairway_to_self_transcendence

*U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum*

First Person: Conversations with Holocaust Survivors

https://www.ushmm.org/information/visit-the-museum/programs-activities/first-person-program?utm_source=mkto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1803MKTEM03715-feature-button&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTkdKbU9HSTVaRFF4WldZdyIsInQiOiJSdkJrT1E0ZnBBYVJ2ZDV2alwvMUp0MXVQMlkweXREK1BpMU1mYWFcL2ErejZrMU5NQjZOVHlmVTlvZmx1N0FzSHJWektYM21sSzJCTEx2bUV1YU1mWTloUzZ3WmxGUTFXRFYwU1BNWG9YeFN1WFpveHBBTGs3YkljT0pJVTRQaElkIn0%3D

Become a Never Stop Asking Why Digital Activator

https://engage.ushmm.org/2018-nsaw.html?utm_source=mkto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1803MKTEM03715-horizontal-link-1&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTkdKbU9HSTVaRFF4WldZdyIsInQiOiJSdkJrT1E0ZnBBYVJ2ZDV2alwvMUp0MXVQMlkweXREK1BpMU1mYWFcL2ErejZrMU5NQjZOVHlmVTlvZmx1N0FzSHJWektYM21sSzJCTEx2bUV1YU1mWTloUzZ3WmxGUTFXRFYwU1BNWG9YeFN1WFpveHBBTGs3YkljT0pJVTRQaElkIn0%3D

Out of the Ordinary: Museum Initiative Uncovers Stories of Americans Who
Helped Jews Escape

https://www.ushmm.org/information/about-the-museum/museum-publications/memory-and-action/out-of-the-ordinary?utm_source=mkto&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=1803MKTEM03715-three-col-link-1&mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTkdKbU9HSTVaRFF4WldZdyIsInQiOiJSdkJrT1E0ZnBBYVJ2ZDV2alwvMUp0MXVQMlkweXREK1BpMU1mYWFcL2ErejZrMU5NQjZOVHlmVTlvZmx1N0FzSHJWektYM21sSzJCTEx2bUV1YU1mWTloUzZ3WmxGUTFXRFYwU1BNWG9YeFN1WFpveHBBTGs3YkljT0pJVTRQaElkIn0%3D

Blacks during the Holocaust

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/blacks-during-the-holocaust-era?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTW1NeU4yRTNZV1JoTUdNNCIsInQiOiJGVmhPaFdiVVN0aWxpVHJ4Y3ZEeGxrRzBqaTV4OVAxRkQ4SHE3WHc1Yms2WEJlQ29vUVJwcDhhV3F5bDgxYngyRXNMVGtVRWlpNGcxYmJWNzBPVm00UTRYZTdEV2Qrb09cL2Q2ekFnQVhHRkpCMXgzeVhKaXlyM1d5YXRYUEVKaHJ6STU2ZmxHZzdRYTMrZGxQWVpOaE9nPT0ifQ%3D%3D