[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 5-25-18

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sat May 26 10:24:20 PDT 2018

*Weekly Science Report*

*May 25, 2018*

*“Humanity's thirst for natural resources can only be sustained if we adapt
our patterns of consumption. Competition for necessities like water, food
and land will inevitably intensify. To meet the challenge of climate change
and environmental depletion we must all cooperate.”**Humanity’s thirst for
natural resources can only be sustained if we adapt our patterns of
consumption. Competition for necessities like water, food and land will
inevitably intensify. To meet the challenge of climate change and
environmental depletion we must all cooperate.Humanity’s thirst for natural
resources can only be sustained if we adapt our patterns of consumption.
Competition for necessities like water, food and land will inevitably
intensify. To meet the challenge of climate change and environmental
depletion we must all cooperate.*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Scientists to grow 'mini-brains' using Neanderthal DNA

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/may/11/scientists-to-grow-mini-brains-using-neanderthal-dna

Research suggests sweet potatoes didn't originate in the Americas as
previously thought
https://phys.org/news/2018-05-sweet-potatoes-didnt-americas-previously.html
  Prehistoric autism helped produce much of the world's earliest great art,
study says
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/prehistoric-autism-cave-paintings-barry-wright-penny-spikins-university-of-york-a8351751.html
  Austin-area dig gives rare clues to how people lived 16,000 years ago
https://www.mystatesman.com/news/local/austin-area-dig-gives-rare-clues-how-people-lived-000-years-ago/M3iVdDLKBGiwJWDb01M04J/

Adapt or die: Can evolution outrun climate change?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/adapt-or-die-cbsn-originals/

How modern-day dinosaurs survived the apocalypse

https://www.popsci.com/dinosaur-bird-trees

This Molecule Could Explain the Origin of Life
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/videos/category/science/this-molecule-could-explain-the-origin-of-life/

*History*

Damaged art undergoes intensive care in Berlin’s Bode Museum

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/damaged-art-undergoes-intensive-care-in-berlin-s-bode-museum

Much More Than Code Talking – The Role of Native Americans in World War II

https://m.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/code-talking-native-americans.html

Did Syria create the world’s first song?

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180424-did-syria-create-the-worlds-first-song

One Hundred Years Ago, the Harlem Hellfighters Bravely Led the U.S. Into WWI

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/one-hundred-years-ago-harlem-hellfighters-bravely-led-us-wwi-180968977/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Inside the Secret Cities That Created the Atomic Bomb

https://www.citylab.com/design/2018/05/inside-the-secret-cities-that-created-the-atomic-bomb/559601/

Phantasmic Phoenicia

https://aeon.co/essays/phoenicia-an-imaginary-friend-to-nations-in-need-of-ancestors

Newly Uncovered Pages From Anne Frank's Diary Reveal Risqué Jokes

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/15/611320890/newly-uncovered-pages-from-anne-franks-diary-reveal-risqu-jokes?sc=tw

The many ways art goes missing

https://www.economist.com/books-and-arts/2018/05/10/the-many-ways-art-goes-missing?fsrc=scn/fb/te/bl/ed/themanywaysartgoesmissingfiftywaystoloseyourrenoir

Aboriginal settlement in Australia was planned migration: study

https://www.smh.com.au/national/aboriginal-settlement-in-australia-was-planned-migration-study-20180521-p4zggl.html

Marduk, the Scribes, and the Problem of the Neo-Assyrian King

http://www.asor.org/anetoday/2018/05/Marduk-Scribes-Neo-Assyrian

Understanding Andean concepts of death and renewal

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-andean-concepts-death-renewal.html

Study: Ancient mound builders carefully timed their occupation of coastal
Louisiana site

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/uoia-sam052218.php

Mark Segal, LGBTQ Iconoclast, Activist and Disruptor, Donates Lifetime of
Papers and Artifacts
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/mark-segal-lgbtq-iconoclast-activist-and-disruptor-donates-lifetime-papers-and-artifacts-180969176/

Rarely Seen 19th-Century Silhouette of a Same-Sex Couple Living Together
Goes On View
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/rarely-seen-19th-century-silhouette-same-sex-couple-living-together-goes-view-180969156/

Why the Very First Treaty Between the United States and a Native People
Still Resonates Today

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/why-very-first-treaty-between-us-and-native-people-still-resonates-today-180969157/

LGBT community cheers pope's 'God made you like this' remark

http://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/lgbt-community-cheers-popes-god-made-you-like-this-remark-05-21-2018-142234064

The Lost Maidens of Berlin

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/lost-maidens-berlin-180969006/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Hitler’s Teeth Confirm He Died in 1945
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/hitlers-teeth-confirm-he-died-1945-180969133/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Book gives grisly narration of Nazi WWII Holocaust of Soviet Jews

http://www.catholicsun.org/2018/05/20/book-gives-grisly-narration-of-nazi-wwii-holocaust-of-soviet-jews/

How Museums Handle Forgeries in Their Collections

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-museums-handle-forgeries-collections

*Archaeology*

Italian Police Seize $1 Million Worth of Antiquities From Roman Businessmen

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/italian-police-seize-1-million-worth-ancient-objects-roman-businessmen-1285142

Robot sub finds 'holy grail of shipwrecks' with treasure worth billions

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/robot-sub-finds-holy-grail-of-shipwrecks-with-treasure-worth-billions/ar-AAxGkxe?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=LENOVODHP17

Artifacts dating to 5000 BC discovered in Iraq's Dohuk

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/culture-and-art/artifacts-dating-to-5000-bc-discovered-in-iraqs-dohuk/1152895

Thousands of Human Bones Reveal 'Barbarian' Battle Rituals

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/05/germanic-barbarian-alken-enge-battle-archaeology-science/?beta=true

One of world’s most endangered forests originally planted by ancient South
Americans, discover archaeologists

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/south-america-forest-indigenous-people-chile-brazil-argentina-a8356501.html

Why Was This Baby's Hand Mummified, But Not the Rest of Its Body?

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/archaeology/a20762222/why-was-this-babys-hand-mummified-but-not-the-rest-of-its-body/

High-definition archaeology reveals secrets of the earliest cities

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-high-definition-archaeology-reveals-secrets-earliest.html

'Made in China’ label helps archaeologists solve 800-year-old mystery
shipwreck
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/ancient-made-china-label-archaeologists-mystery-shipwreck-origins-a8354916.html

Archaeologists discover rock carving of world’s oldest paper currency in
China

https://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/2018/05/12/archaeologists-discover-rock-carving-of-worlds-oldest-paper-currency-in-china/

Feds block government archaeologists from speaking at a major science
conference

https://www.sltrib.com/news/environment/2018/05/11/feds-blocks-government-archaeologists-from-speaking-at-a-major-science-conference/

ULB archaeologists discover a 1,000-year-old mummy in Peru

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/uldb-uad052418.php

*Egyptology*

Egypt moves last chariot of King Tut to new museum

http://www.arabnews.com/node/1296946/art-culture#.Wvri25WqHHE.twitter

Graduate student unearths ancient Egyptian life stories from burial texts

http://dailybruin.com/2018/05/14/graduate-student-unearths-ancient-egyptian-life-stories-from-burial-texts/

Earliest Version of Our Alphabet Possibly Discovered

https://www.livescience.com/62580-earliest-alphabet-discovered.html

Archaeologists find remains of Roman-era temple in Egypt

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-archaeologists-roman-era-temple-egypt.html

We Are Family

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/298-1805/trenches/6510-trenches-egypt-deir-rifeh-mummy-brothers

*General Science*

What Happened to Facebook's Grand Plan to Wire the World?

https://www.wired.com/story/what-happened-to-facebooks-grand-plan-to-wire-the-world?mbid=nl_051718_daily_list1_p2&CNDID=41291302

Elon Musk Presents His Tunnel Vision to the People of LA

https://www.wired.com/story/elon-musk-boring-company-tunnels-los-angeles-plan/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_051818_daily_list1_p1

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Venus and Jupiter May Meddle With Earth’s Orbit and Climate
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/venus-and-jupiter-change-earths-orbit-and-climate-405000-year-cycle-180969038/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Best Evidence Yet For Water Plumes Erupting Off Europa
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/05/14/best-evidence-yet-water-plumes-erupting-off-europa/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/05/14/best-evidence-yet-water-plumes-erupting-off-europa/#.Wvnc34AvwdV

There's an Ocean Deep Inside the Earth

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ypwvmy/theres-an-ocean-deep-inside-the-earth?utm_campaign=engagersLAL1&utm_source=mbfbads

The Physics of NASA's New Mars Helicopter

https://www.wired.com/story/the-physics-of-nasas-new-mars-helicopter/?CNDID=41291302&mbid=nl_051618_daily_list3_p3

Dino Doomsday Asteroid Baked Earth For 100,000 Years
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/05/24/dino-doomsday-asteroid-baked-earth-100000-years/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2018/05/24/dino-doomsday-asteroid-baked-earth-100000-years/#.WwmH1kmG_IU

Why we won't get to Mars without teamwork

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/apa-www052118.php

SwRI scientists introduce cosmochemical model for Pluto formation

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/sri-ssi052318.php

How a particle may stand still in rotating spacetime

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-particle-rotating-spacetime.html

Scientists discover new magnetic element

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-scientists-magnetic-element.html

In S.Africa, a unique telescope link-up scans deep space

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-safrica-unique-telescope-link-up-scans.html

Mars rocks may harbor signs of life from four billion years ago

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-mars-harbor-life-billion-years.html

New Study Casts Doubt on the "Impossible" EmDrive

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/a20896657/new-study-doubt-impossible-em-drive/

Three Giant Antarctic Valleys Found Hidden Under Ice

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/environment/a20915571/three-giant-antarctic-valleys-found-hidden-under-ice/

Quantum Physics May Be Even Spookier Than You Think

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-physics-may-be-even-spookier-than-you-think/

Astronomers Spot Potential "Interstellar" Asteroid Orbiting Backward around
the Sun

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/astronomers-spot-potential-interstellar-asteroid-orbiting-backward-around-the-sun/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Charting the International Roadmap to a Demonstration Fusion Power Plant

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/charting-the-international-roadmap-to-a-demonstration-fusion-power-plant

New study highlights opportunity to restore abundance to Hawaiian reef
fisheries
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/uoha-nsh052318.php   New
materials, heated under high magnetic fields, could produce record levels
of energy, model shows
https://phys.org/news/2018-05-materials-high-magnetic-fields-energy.html

Top nitrogen researchers imagine world beyond fossil fuels

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-nitrogen-world-fossil-fuels.html

Climate change may lead to bigger atmospheric rivers

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-climate-bigger-atmospheric-rivers.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

The NIH Launches Its Ambitious Million-Person Genetic Survey

https://www.wired.com/story/all-of-us-launches?mbid=nl_051318_daily_list3_p2&CNDID=41291302

AI dengue prediction tool trialled in Asia, Latin America

https://www.scidev.net/global/disease/news/ai-dengue-prediction-tool-trialled-in-asia-latin-america-1x.html

Mysterious furry creature shot in Montana, puzzling wildlife experts

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mysterious-furry-creature-shot-in-montana-and-even-wildlife-experts-are-puzzled-by-the-beast/

Depression speeds up brain aging, find psychologists

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/uos-dsu052318.php

New method for finding disease-susceptibility genes

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-05/unio-nmf052418.php

Phosphorus nutrition can hasten plant and microbe growth in arid, high
elevation sites

https://phys.org/news/2018-05-phosphorus-nutrition-hasten-microbe-growth.html

Lung-on-a-chip simulates pulmonary fibrosis

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-lung-on-a-chip-simulates-pulmonary-fibrosis.html

The brain's frontal lobe could be involved in chronic pain, according to
research

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-brain-frontal-lobe-involved-chronic.html

U.S. worker in China suffers brain injury due to mystery sound 'sensations'

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-worker-china-sickened-brain-injury-after-mystery-sound-n876686?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

*Other*

As DeVos’s Education Dept. Shifts Focus, Revisit FRONTLINE’s Reporting on
For-Profit Colleges

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/article/as-devoss-education-dept-shifts-focus-revisit-frontlines-reporting-on-for-profit-colleges/?utm_source=FBPAGE&utm_medium=social&utm_term=20180514&utm_content=1532212465&linkId=51697363

A New Hunt for the DNA of the Loch Ness Monster

https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/animals/a20889912/loch-ness-monster-dna/

Additional Informational

TED Talk, What is Goebekli Tepe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2CDa5zRQR0