[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 4-19-19

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 12:59:43 PDT 2019

*Weekly Science Report*

*April 19, 2019*

*“We honor the best of who we are as a nation and seek lessons in our
country’s imperfections.  Our role is not to define for others but to
inspire discovery, to question our assumptions, to uphold our nation’s
democratic principles and to challenge each other to rise above what was
and achieve the ideal of what can be.”*

National Park Service

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Study: Aegean farmers replaced hunters of ancient Britain

*https://phys.org/news/2019-04-aegean-farmers-hunters-ancient-britain.html
<https://phys.org/news/2019-04-aegean-farmers-hunters-ancient-britain.html>*

U.K. Construction Finds Neolithic Skeletons That May Have Been Victims of
Human Sacrifice
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/uk-construction-unearths-neolithic-skeletons-may-have-belonged-victims-human-sacrifice-180971976/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR1UdmS7njI68mWH6mt-Jk-8VqK-SUbnWFMch15AK8XY3xrm2nrYp454OnY

Researchers identify largest carnivorous mammals ever to live on land

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/18/world/ancient-lion-discovery-scn/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNNi&utm_content=2019-04-18T13%3A01%3A23&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR2CgxpJ5nOrdfR_Xs1GaWLRUkrWeZCuKFnhkdSdmKkgWX58hxqg6UVbg9E

Were Europe’s megalithic societies patrilineal?

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/04/were-europe-s-megalithic-societies-patrilineal

What Do We Really Know About Neanderthals?
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/new-research-redefining-what-we-thought-about-neanderthals-180971918/

*History*

How Measles Helped Destroy the Hawaiian Monarchy

https://www.history.com/news/hawaii-monarchy-downfall-measles-outbreak?fbclid=IwAR3UbDB0gVU772XrDK-VwlSI_gn_bLcT6l1N8Ki7TvoRB4-zzEmMAGbg27k

There Was a Spy Inside Hitler's SS. Here's What He Did to Stop the Nazis

https://www.history.com/news/nazi-ss-spy-sabotage-hitlers-final-solution

When Jews under Nazi terror pleaded for help — and America ignored them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/desperate-jews-under-nazi-terror-plead-for-help--and-america-ignores-them/2019/04/11/b2c9d10a-3ebf-11e9-9361-301ffb5bd5e6_story.html?utm_term=.9fe0e22f4f54

What If America Had Lost the Revolutionary War?

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/07/what-if-america-had-lost-the-revolutionary-war/373964/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_content=5cb33cfb00e48b00017ef72f_ta&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

THE AUTHOR BRINGING HOME THE HORROR OF ‘COMFORT WOMEN’

https://www.ozy.com/rising-stars/the-author-bringing-home-the-horror-of-comfort-women/92132

Natural History Museum Will Not Host Gala for Brazil’s President

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/arts/design/natural-history-museum-will-not-host-gala-for-brazils-president.html

Boise park is a sacred site for local tribes. It may be renamed to honor
them.

https://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoors/hiking/article229319274.html?fbclid=IwAR1c-fvoIxPkm7PJ_Eu5Me4NbbcEMIsMrZgKGkrFQDA5YdQ8s7HRfJ9Easc

'A Woman Of No Importance' Finally Gets Her Due

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/18/711356336/a-woman-of-no-importance-finally-gets-her-due?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190418&fbclid=IwAR2InvtyEfaDJmLMNg84pO_o-qhqk5rMc-Mgd-XNAp2_4BNNyWRfo4eGxew

The All-Female Big Bands That Made History During World War II

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/17/714405107/the-all-female-big-bands-that-made-history-during-world-war-ii?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190418&fbclid=IwAR2q2uQYJJt0sXz76wz8kU12Ps2xZ8orwWyiKo-HgvipD8h8tpxjwtelDIE

Skeleton DNA reveals surprising backgrounds of Crusader soldiers

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/18/world/crusaders-dna-discovery-scn/index.html

The secret to a stable society? A steady supply of beer doesn't hurt

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-04/fm-tst041219.php

*Archaeology*

Schoolboys find 1,600-year-old coin on Galilee field trip

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5495895,00.html

Navajo, Pueblo Leaders Want Drilling Regulated Near Sacred Chaco Canyon

https://www.cpr.org/news/story/navajo-pueblo-leaders-want-drilling-regulated-near-sacred-chaco-canyon

WHAT REMAINS OF BEARS EARS

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/bears-ears/?fbclid=IwAR0ihCL0Q5S1niyb0nbJzgWhag3A2ZYHo58CCScHGDt3pHAV7tqQegzlVPo&utm_term=.a23a657486c9

2,600-year-old Jerusalem Discovery Leaves Archaeologists Shell-shocked

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.premium.MAGAZINE-2-600-year-old-jerusalem-discovery-leaves-archaeologists-shell-shocked-1.7112934

Archaeology site looted at Lewis and Clark Historical Park

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Archaeology-site-looted-at-Lewis-and-Clark-13778035.php

Mesopotamian King Sargon II envisioned ancient city Karkemish as western
Assyrian capital

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-04/uocp-mks041819.php

*Egyptology*

Unraveling the mysteries of ancient Egypt's spellbinding mummy portraits

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/egyptian-mummy-portraits/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2zwRaUc4CbByGr8Oup0F0q1Emql1XaBSum_TgdH-pKV2KbSpUWURDcMXg

Egypt unveils colorful Fifth Dynasty tomb

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/life-style/art-and-culture/2019/04/13/Egypt-unveils-colorful-Fifth-Dynasty-tomb.html

Discovery of an Ancient Egyptian Woman's Teeth Reveals She Had a Surprising
Profession

https://www.sciencealert.com/this-ancient-egyptian-woman-s-teeth-suggests-women-could-be-craftspeople-too

*General Science*

USDA orders scientists to say published research is ‘preliminary’
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2019/04/19/usda-orders-scientists-say-published-research-is-preliminary/?utm_term=.deb02cf4c0a4

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

The first picture of a black hole made Katie Bouman an overnight celebrity.
Then internet trolls descended.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/first-picture-black-hole-made-katie-bouman-overnight-celebrity-then-n994081
  Meteoroid strikes eject precious water from moon
*https://phys.org/news/2019-04-meteoroid-eject-precious-moon.html
<https://phys.org/news/2019-04-meteoroid-eject-precious-moon.html>*

Skylab and Space Shuttle Astronaut Owen Garriott Dies at 88

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/skylab-and-space-shuttle-astronaut-owen-garriott-dies-at-88

College Students Hatch Nuclear-Powered Magnetic Plan to Protect Marsonauts
from Cosmic Rays

https://www.livescience.com/65249-magnetic-space-shield-mars-mission.html?utm_source=notification

An interstellar meteor may have slammed into Earth

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/an-interstellar-meteor-may-have-slammed-into-earth/ar-BBVZawI?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SL5FDHP

Most ancient type of molecule in universe detected in space

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/apr/17/helium-hydride-most-ancient-molecule-in-universe-detected-in-space

Department of Energy to Provide $24 Million to Study Dark Matter

https://www.energy.gov/articles/department-energy-provide-24-million-study-dark-matter

Hubble celebrates its 29th birthday with unrivaled view of the Southern
Crab Nebula

https://phys.org/news/2019-04-hubble-celebrates-29th-birthday-unrivaled.html?fbclid=IwAR2FDstAS4aNOyMKdNpD7FkoZ2RSPXUONZjoyECuIiay7mLMqtEJPVOe6GM

SpaceX’s new passenger spacecraft suffers failure during engine test

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/20/18509362/spacex-crew-dragon-capsule-engine-test-failure-nasa-florida

Scientists find evidence Mercury has a solid inner core

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-04/agu-sfe041719.php

Things are stacking up for NASA's Mars 2020 spacecraft

https://phys.org/news/2019-04-stacking-nasa-mars-spacecraft.html

'Einstein's Unfinished Revolution' Looks At The Quantum-Physics-And-Reality
Problem

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/19/714600205/einsteins-unfinished-revolution-looks-at-the-quantum-physics-and-reality-problem

NASA Prepares to Build Spacecraft Bound for a Metal Asteroid
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/nasa-prepares-build-spacecraft-bound-metal-asteroid-180971987/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Forget cars. We need electric airplanes.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2019/3/1/18241489/electric-batteries-aircraft-climate-change

Algae tiles turn walls into living water filtration systems
<https://www.fastcompany.com/90328570/algae-infused-tiles-could-turn-walls-into-water-filtration-systems>

https://www.fastcompany.com/90328570/algae-infused-tiles-could-turn-walls-into-water-filtration-systems?partner=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=rss+fastcompany&utm_content=rss

The most effective way to tackle climate change? Plant 1 trillion trees

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/04/17/world/trillion-trees-climate-change-intl-scn/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2019-04-17T13%3A33%3A45&utm_source=fbCNNi&utm_term=link&fbclid=IwAR3lpsI376Yi6m8YcjFAe3sNaDHbV0pgi3FD2GgRvuixXlmTJllI7lEGNao

Joshua Tree’s shutdown scars are largely hidden, but its spring glory is not

https://www.latimes.com/travel/la-tr-travel-joshua-tree-after-shutdown-damage-what-to-see-spring-20190414-story.html?outputType=amp&__twitter_impression=true

Offshore Wind Farms Are Spinning Up in the US—At Last

https://www.wired.com/story/offshore-wind-farms-are-spinning-up-in-the-us-at-last/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_041719_daily_list3_p3&source=DAILY_NEWSLETTER&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20041719%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

Satellite confirms key NASA temperature data: The planet is warming — and
fast

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2019/04/17/satellite-confirms-key-nasa-temperature-data-planet-is-warming-fast/?fbclid=IwAR05y3DEQqEjS1x1Wvhj3Dr_AXEucaOLiFrRuesI7G85DiBa5JpO1ipdkAE&utm_term=.a9b23a813e80

Adding guanidinium thiocyanate to mixed tin-lead perovskites to improve
solar cell efficiency

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-04-adding-guanidinium-thiocyanate-tin-lead-perovskites.html

Microplastic Found Even In The Air In France's Pyrenees Mountains

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/15/713561484/microplastic-found-even-in-the-air-in-frances-pyrenees-mountains

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Why Astronomical Drug Prices Are Bad For Health — And Profits

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/04/12/712715387/why-astronomical-drug-prices-are-bad-for-health-and-profits?sc=tw

How Can We Be Sure Artificial Intelligence Is Safe For Medical Use?

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/14/711775543/how-can-we-be-sure-artificial-intelligence-is-safe-for-medical-use?sc=tw

Scientists discover new arsenic-based broad-spectrum antibiotic

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-04-scientists-arsenic-based-broad-spectrum-antibiotic.html?fbclid=IwAR1HvjHhdG_PPtlyPALXh-UvJHEdlIDiUusmSFPLm4elVA2v1AYQmcCq1E4

First U.S. Patients Treated With CRISPR As Human Gene-Editing Trials Get
Underway

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/16/712402435/first-u-s-patients-treated-with-crispr-as-gene-editing-human-trials-get-underway?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190415&fbclid=IwAR0xDoM8fnNOlfvbQdJr8faayBzB44JsXQfSwOQJ9NfLbVKQTjOl6hOy2jI

Gene Therapy Advances To Better Treat 'Bubble Boy' Disease

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/17/714121698/gene-therapy-advances-to-better-treat-bubble-boy-disease?sc=tw

Scientists Restore Some Function In The Brains Of Dead Pigs

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/17/714289322/scientists-restore-some-function-in-the-brains-of-dead-pigs?sc=tw

Inside Professor Nanayakkara’s Futuristic Augmented Human Lab
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/inside-professor-nanayakkaras-futuristic-augmented-human-lab-180971957/

Gene Editing Makes Cows Without Horns

https://www.popsci.com/gene-editing-makes-cows-without-horns?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&lnk=TA&src=SOC&utm_campaign&utm_content=5cb7fd6f0f1cfa0001e6ac5e&utm_medium&utm_source&fbclid=IwAR19AHqxvZca_ZmewlY27yeUDXWE_xrKV1orZJjWcQ_fQQCnSfYYgmfsFgg

Mysterious great white shark lair discovered in Pacific Ocean

https://www.sfchronicle.com/news/article/Mysterious-great-white-shark-lair-discovered-in-13234068.php

Discovery may help explain why women get autoimmune diseases far more often
than men

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-04-discovery-women-autoimmune-diseases-men.html

Brain Restoration System Explores Hazy Territory between Being Dead or Alive

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/brain-restoration-system-explores-hazy-territory-between-being-dead-or-alive/

*Other*

Nothing to report

Additional Informational

TED Talk, The radical possibilities of man-made DNA

https://www.ted.com/talks/floyd_e_romesberg_the_radical_possibilities_of_man_made_dna

TED Talk, How to let altruism be your guide

https://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_how_to_let_altruism_be_your_guide

What the mysterious symbols made by early humans can teach us about how we
evolved

https://ideas.ted.com/what-the-mysterious-symbols-made-by-early-humans-can-teach-us-about-how-we-evolved/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

TED Talk, Want to change the world? Start by being brave enough to care

https://www.ted.com/talks/cleo_wade_want_to_change_the_world_start_by_being_brave_enough_to_care

TED Talk, Thoughts on humanity, fame and love

https://www.ted.com/talks/shah_rukh_khan_thoughts_on_humanity_fame_and_love

TED Talk, Re-Envisioning Climate Change Through Art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=iZRGUADAu2Q&app=desktop

TED Talk, The beautiful future of solar power

https://www.ted.com/talks/marjan_van_aubel_the_beautiful_future_of_solar_power

TED Talk, A new class of drug that could prevent depression and PTSD

https://www.ted.com/talks/rebecca_brachman_a_new_class_of_drug_that_could_prevent_depression_and_ptsd

TED Talk, How to overcome apathy and find your power

https://www.ted.com/talks/dolores_huerta_how_to_overcome_apathy_and_find_your_power

TED Talk, Wearable tech that helps you navigate by touch

https://www.ted.com/talks/keith_kirkland_wearable_tech_that_helps_you_navigate_by_touch

TED Talk, How education helped me rewrite my life

https://www.ted.com/talks/ashweetha_shetty_how_education_helped_me_rewrite_my_life

TED Talk, We don’t “move on” from grief. We move forward with it

https://www.ted.com/talks/nora_mcinerny_we_don_t_move_on_from_grief_we_move_forward_with_it

TED Talk, An AI smartwatch that detects seizures

https://www.ted.com/talks/rosalind_picard_an_ai_smartwatch_that_detects_seizures_and_saves_lives

Small grants, big results: *Celebrating 25 years of partnerships that
foster biodiversity in Belize.*

https://medium.com/@UNDP/small-grants-big-results-2b61397c61c7

TED Talk, How I built a first aid kit for Astronauts

https://www.ted.com/talks/virginia_wotring_how_i_built_a_first_aid_kit_for_astronauts

TED Talk, Why we need to clean up our space debris

*https://www.ted.com/talks/moriba_jah_why_we_need_to_clean_up_our_space_debris
<https://www.ted.com/talks/moriba_jah_why_we_need_to_clean_up_our_space_debris>*

TED Talk, The importance of space lawyers

https://www.ted.com/talks/frans_von_der_dunk_the_importance_of_space_lawyers

U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Honoring Victims and Survivors

https://engage.ushmm.org/2019-dor-names-reading.html?