[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 8-16-19

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 10:36:06 PDT 2019

*Weekly Science Report*

*August 16, 2019*

*“Is there a God?  I don’t know.  Just tell me!  I would if I could but I
don’t know and neither does anybody else.  Roberta knows.  No Roberta has
faith and that’s a great thing to have.  Faith is about what you think and
feel.  What about Jesus?  Love that guy, do what he says.  But is he God?
I don’t know.  I have an opinion but that’s my opinion, I could be wrong.
So why would I screw up yours?  Use your head but don’t be afraid to
believe in things either.  There was a guy on TV that said there was no
God.  The only difference between the atheists on TV and Roberta is that
Roberta loves you.  She is just trying to help.  Tell you what though, one
way or another we all end up back together in the end.  That’s what you are
asking right?  Yep!  Do me a favor find something else to worry about.”*

Gifted the Movie

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Meteorite strikes made life on Earth possible

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-meteorite-life-earth.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Genetic Study Suggests Human Role in Cave Bear Extinction

https://www.archaeology.org/news/7941-190815-cave-bear-extinction

Humans migrated to Mongolia much earlier than previously believed

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/uoc--hmt081619.php

*History*

What’s Silver, Purple, and Very Well-Traveled?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/silver-purple-bible-codex-mysterious-centuries

Ancient Maya practiced 'total war' well before climate stress

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/08/ancient-maya-practiced-total-war-before-drought/

'Guardians of The Grand Canyon': The Havasupai Tribe's Long Connection To
The Canyon's Red Rocks

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2019/08/13/grand-canyon-havasupai-tribe

Vatican official: Church must be prudent judging Medjugorje apparitions

https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2019/08/16/vatican-official-church-must-be-prudent-judging-medjugorje-apparitions?fbclid=IwAR2-T44EZag__LEaOd726uCbeeVAJPFi8-oknp0WXPpieBrN_dOhTSciCl4

The World’s Oldest Library: Founded by a Woman, Restored By a Woman

https://lithub.com/the-worlds-oldest-library-founded-by-a-woman-restored-by-a-woman/

A Century Later: The Treaty Of Versailles And Its Rejection Of Racial
Equality

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2019/08/11/742293305/a-century-later-the-treaty-of-versailles-and-its-rejection-of-racial-equality?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190811&fbclid=IwAR2fe_PgMGZ-NgwSTAl7ADOlikHCyvEoU7VO1d5NyGDxM1Guzaxcm3MWxrw

Across Europe, Museums Rethink What To Do With Their African Art Collections

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/12/750549303/across-europe-museums-rethink-what-to-do-with-their-african-art-collections?utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR08HNHhgF87p-SHhhaOH6r7uQUm5MTldseuSFloSpgh_GI-8zAVOYugGBw&fbclid=IwAR2t0iHr2C69DRlxR0vjmff1pBzgeFxpSqq5MIblm6F8d1TsNZkMYuFTr6Q

New Netflix docuseries highlights Native American stories and storytellers

https://www.12news.com/video/news/local/arizona/new-netflix-docuseries-highlights-native-american-stories-and-storytellers/75-d0a02890-3521-47d7-b144-69759e6be7c6?fbclid=IwAR2f8BnOF0J4ZdOJZh6JVmNUVkxzwjdPUZLIC9HXVJ1lihcRobwA0404XV8

New Heritage Minute aims to raise awareness about traumatic chapter of
Canadian history

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/new-heritage-minute-honours-acadian-history-1.5248107

At-Risk Indigenous Languages Spotlighted on New Google Earth Platform
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/listen-risk-indigenous-languages-new-google-earth-platform-180972896/?utm_source=smithsoniandaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20190815-daily-responsive&spMailingID=40434060&spUserID=NDkzNjg5MzU3MzY5S0&spJobID=1581408184&spReportId=MTU4MTQwODE4NAS2

Stunning New Images of a Leonardo da Vinci’s ‘Virgin of the Rocks’ Have
Revealed Underdrawings of an Entirely Different Composition

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/leonardo-da-vinci-virgin-rocks-immersive-experience-1625230?fbclid=IwAR0QSCJ9OqTR0in8sl0qHe14u6cAKHe3tre-Z6KSEMQVH9_nSVt2BymezfI

Shard reveals how Cyprus’ ancient kingdoms managed economy

https://www.apnews.com/a20dadc01cb24453bf1c3fb1143fd205

*Archaeology*

National Park Service Awards $1.65 Million for the Return of Native
American Remains and Sacred Objects

https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1207/national-park-service-awards-1-65-million-for-the-return-of-native-american-remains-and-sacred-objects.htm

Feeding the world: archaeology can help us learn from history to build a
sustainable future for food

https://theconversation.com/amp/feeding-the-world-archaeology-can-help-us-learn-from-history-to-build-a-sustainable-future-for-food-117601

The rain in Spain: how an ancient Arabic technique saves Alicante from
floods

https://amp.theguardian.com/cities/2019/aug/15/the-rain-in-spain-how-an-ancient-arabic-technique-saves-alicante-from-floods?__twitter_impression=true
  Archaeologists in Pompeii find amulets and charms that may have been used
by Roman sorcerer
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/12/archaeologists-pompeii-find-amulets-charms-may-have-used-roman/
  Evidence of the Babylonian conquest of Jerusalem found in Mount Zion
excavation
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/uonc-eot080819.php
*Egyptology*

Sarah Parcak Thinks We Need to Learn From the Fall of Egypt’s Old Kingdom

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/08/science/sarah-parcak-space-archaeology.html

Egypt to introduce ‘tourism ethics’ in primary education curricula

https://www.egyptindependent.com/egypt-to-introduce-tourism-ethics-in-primary-education-curricula/?fbclid=IwAR271JzA8h2JbczBEbTeuR34buY3-sZbNv1Ce3Gb2mpLixLhfXTmMsuv9L4

Peak practice – the art of building pyramids in ancient Egypt

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/ancient-egypt-pyramids-shapes/

Archaeology at BESSY II

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/hbfm-aab081619.php

*General Science*

Nothing to report

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

How SpaceX's Starship Will Help Establish a Mars Base

https://www.space.com/spacex-starship-mars-transportation-plans.html?utm_source=notification

New Everest Rules Could Significantly Limit Who Gets to Climb

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/14/world/asia/everest-climbing-rules.html?fbclid=IwAR2DyCiOTbtuLHImIB_TqRbAf3AuHCQLNb5yPG85aeyONOvVaBPj1QUcXg0

Nuclear Reactor for Mars Outpost Could Be Ready to Fly by 2022

https://www.space.com/nuclear-reactor-for-mars-outpost-2022.html?utm_source=notification

Methane on Mars Isn't Being Released by Wind Erosion

https://www.space.com/mars-methane-mystery-wind-erosion.html?utm_source=notification

Private Dream Chaser Space Plane Will Ride New Vulcan Rocket for NASA Cargo
Launches

https://www.space.com/dream-chaser-space-plane-vulcan-rocket-ride.html?utm_source=notification

Our galaxy's black hole suddenly flashed a bright light — and scientists
don't know exactly why

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/milky-way-supermassive-black-hole-lights-up-suddenly-flashed-bright-light-scientists-dont-know-exactly-why/

A Crashed Spacecraft Might Have Put Earth’s Most Indestructible Organisms
on the Moon
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/crashed-spacecraft-might-have-put-water-bears-moon-180972840/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR2fR9EmslLcK3pxNZwLqMFCMWtjwK_xupVCnDRp4avO7j44bF1b8uaWFfM

The Aging Spacecraft of Deep Space

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/08/voyager-nasa-interstellar/596152/?utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_medium=social&utm_term=2019-08-15T18%3A20%3A26&utm_source=facebook&utm_content=edit-promo&fbclid=IwAR33KPiQnYpEu6XpR5Io4T-VCeOsjMOVvR7XWRZ4qFYkS4RVJvIVdazfJqw

For superconductors, discovery comes from disorder

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-superconductors-discovery-disorder.html

Space Dust from Ancient Supernova Found Hiding in Antarctica

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/space-dust-from-ancient-supernova-found-hiding-in-antarctica/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

A Tax Credit Fueled the Solar Energy Boom. Now It's in Limbo

https://www.wired.com/story/a-tax-credit-fueled-the-solar-energy-boom-now-its-in-limbo/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_081419&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list1_p3

Solar power is now cheaper than the grid in hundreds of Chinese cities

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/08/15/business/china-solar-electricity-scli-intl/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNNi&utm_content=2019-08-15T16%3A02%3A01&fbclid=IwAR1a-nu2Vgtj6ueZAcCZDYv0AxqnBVlt-90pDzPmYY39eEMnf5y86O3HMWE

Gov. Hogan Launches Task Force To Bring New Push In Solar, Wind Energy
Projects

https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2019/08/14/gov-hogan-launches-task-force-to-bring-new-push-in-solar-wind-energy-projects/?utm_content=buffer01df6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR1l5qogBVgDYlSoXi7vHh-sKs6UNs-HQgxWW59dKjN2JXp1_NvrDYPa2pU

Arctic sea ice loaded with microplastics

https://phys.org/news/2019-08-arctic-sea-ice-microplastics.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Genome Study Reveals Clues to Komodo Dragon’s Unique Abilities

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/science/komodo-dragon-genome.html?fbclid=IwAR3D_4ZNZRL-Fk_TtHSNPNsNjz59jBEcBmIE5VZf2Zvie4VMQC8NPXFE_Xw

Trump Administration Weakens Protections for Endangered Species

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/12/climate/endangered-species-act-changes.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&fbclid=IwAR3TfBXMprSDm_zZvWRWYQOV18eVXGiVduNijch9jO6gCLk6_scrcYm6kNY

The Promise and Price of Cellular Therapies

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/07/22/the-promise-and-price-of-cellular-therapies?utm_medium=social&mbid=social_twitter&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter&utm_brand=tny&mbid=social_twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_social-type=owned&utm_source=twitter&utm_brand=tny

Artificial Intelligence Could Improve Health Care for All—Unless it Doesn’t

https://time.com/5650360/artificial-intelligence-health-care/?xid=tcoshare#0e3bc275-fd0c-4675-9a34-1d012af032c3

Researchers refine guidelines for pediatric brain injuries
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/uowh-rrg081619.php

Wearable sensors detect what's in your sweat

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/uoc--wsd081619.php

Discovery of anti-opioid pathway offers new route to designing safer pain
medications
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/sri-doa081619.php

Top U.S. Medical Centers Roll Out DNA Sequencing Clinics for Healthy Clients

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/top-u-s-medical-centers-roll-out-dna-sequencing-clinics-for-healthy-clients/

*Other*

These Experimental Shorts Are An 'Exosuit' That Boosts Endurance On The
Trail

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/08/15/751096093/these-experimental-shorts-are-an-exosuit-that-boosts-endurance-on-the-trail?sc=tw

The Decision Scientist: Kennedy School Professor Jennifer Lerner is
teaching the military how to harness the science of judgment and decision
making

https://www.hks.harvard.edu/faculty-research/policy-topics/decision-making-negotiation/decision-scientist

Additional Informational

The impact of the Transcontinental Railroad on Native Americans

https://americanhistory.si.edu/blog/TRR

The Decorated North Wall in the Tomb of Tutankhamun (KV 62) (The Burial of
Nefertiti? II) (2019)

https://www.academia.edu/39903971/The_Decorated_North_Wall_in_the_Tomb_of_Tutankhamun_KV_62_The_Burial_of_Nefertiti_II_2019_

Climate Heritage Network Global Launch, Oct 24-25: Edinburgh, Scotland

http://climateheritage.org/launch-2019/

Oral history interview with Benjamin B. Ferencz- Video

https://collections.ushmm.org/search/catalog/irn507286

TED Talk, The Greatest Trial The World Has Ever Seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwa4zRWDsvI&app=desktop

The Illegal Use Of Armed Force As A Crime Against Humanity

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/20531702.2015.1092705

*Report Proposes Recommendations and New Framework to Speed Progress Toward
Open Science*

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=25116

National Academies of Science, Based on Science

http://sites.nationalacademies.org/BasedOnScience/climate-change-humans-are-causing-global-warming/index.htm

Attacks on Public Health and Safety that the Scientific Integrity Act Could
Have Prevented

https://blog.ucsusa.org/jacob-carter/attacks-on-public-health-and-safety-that-the-scientific-integrity-act-could-have-prevented?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tw

Groups Urge Support of Scientific Integrity Act as Congressional Hearing
Looms

https://blog.ucsusa.org/michael-halpern/groups-urge-support-of-scientific-integrity-act?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=tw

TED Talk, Why we need to imagine different futures

https://www.ted.com/talks/anab_jain_why_we_need_to_imagine_different_futures

TED Talk, The most mysterious star in the universe

https://www.ted.com/talks/tabetha_boyajian_the_most_mysterious_star_in_the_universe?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co&utm_content=talk&utm_term=science

Your Fatwa Does Not Apply Here: Untold Stories from the Fight against
Muslim Fundamentalism

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Fatwa-Does-Apply-Here-ebook/dp/B00AV7JV5W/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1565877072&sr=8-1

*Through Anne Frank's Eyes: Teaching her Diary and the Play Webinar, Aug 21
*

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_VpdMWKOoSFiRgmPfHEIXMw