[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 7-19-19

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 21 08:16:54 PDT 2019

*Weekly Science Report*

*July 19, 2019*

*“A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is braver five minutes
longer.”*

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Neanderthals Were About as Right-Handed as Modern Humans

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/07/did-neanderthals-have-dominant-hand/593836/?utm_term=2019-07-14T12%3A30%3A43&utm_campaign=the-atlantic&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=edit-promo

Turkish, Egyptian and Syrian Artifacts Found in 9,000-year-old Neolithic
City by Jerusalem

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.premium.MAGAZINE-turkish-egyptian-syrian-artifacts-found-in-9-000-year-old-neolithic-city-by-j-lem-1.7531494?utm_source=Push_Notification&utm_medium=web_push&utm_campaign=General

*History*

85 Jews Were Murdered. They Deserve Justice.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/18/opinion/justice-argentina-bombing.html

Macedonians Restore an Ancient Church, With an Eye on the Future

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/15/world/europe/macedonia-church-of-st-george-restoration.html

Hitler Looted the Art, Then They Looted Hitler

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/arts/design/hitler-looted-the-art-then-they-looted-hitler.html

Dutch Troops Were 10% Liable In Srebrenica Massacre, Supreme Court Says

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/19/743413444/dutch-troops-were-10-liable-in-srebrenica-massacre-supreme-court-says?sc=tw

Tennessee Governor Faces Backlash for Honoring Confederate General And KKK
Leader

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/14/741629271/tennessee-governor-faces-backlash-for-honoring-confederate-general-and-kkk-leade?sc=tw

Codebreaker Alan Turing to be face of new British banknote

https://apnews.com/525bbcf0182f437fb61c6b5540da0e5b?fbclid=IwAR34Hwgfgh7gY4i_dNBxWPAuTo6jSTiAgjeZjvEzpj3vFhlhs3PVe-qZOEY

Change Agents: Kaywin Feldman and Bryan Stevenson on Embracing Empathy and
Confronting American Racism in Museums

http://www.artnews.com/2019/07/02/national-gallery-kaywin-feldman-bryan-equal-justice-initiative-stevenson-conversation/?fbclid=IwAR0dKuNxlNc-Q_aXx9PW4gEXn-gREgT7igOIzpJ08mCy_eiC2HnVpba-Xco

'Lost' book of exquisite scientific drawings rediscovered after 190 years

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/04/lost-book-cuban-botany-found-illustrations-women-in-stem/

Why We Still Can’t Read the Writing of the Ancient Indus Civilization
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2019/01/04/undeciphered-script-of-the-indus-civilization/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2019/01/04/undeciphered-script-of-the-indus-civilization/?utm_source=dscfb&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=dscfb&fbclid=IwAR2Rsmc7qDoSj11TeN05Z4U-ueLv4-2KTZEvtFPahgB7Lra2nG4bb3LvkGc#.XSzDlehKiiM

This Fearless Woman Is Fighting To Keep Slavery Out Of Your Seafood

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2019/07/15/741138111/this-fearless-woman-is-fighting-to-keep-slavery-out-of-your-seafood?utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com

Oglala Sioux Tribe legalizes same-sex marriage and considers hate crime
resolution

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/the-press-pool/oglala-sioux-tribe-legalizes-same-sex-marriage-and-considers-hate-crime-resolution-UtDE-3oyM0q-jfDUCMr4FA/?fbclid=IwAR1ODBNfoP_ZuTBbQtIfBhRHxqp6OTDBi9hWifC9x96b5YDiR65PzgK6F0g

RI woman believed to be the oldest Native American dies

https://turnto10.com/news/local/ri-woman-believed-to-be-the-oldest-native-american-dies?fbclid=IwAR0c949fK6MkWnNh2Ddultlh5t60To_EpYsbgdgTTPZW5hayIILId76ztf4

Why Tsar Nicholas II and the Romanovs Were Murdered

https://www.history.com/news/romanov-family-murder-execution-reasons?cid=sf105152427&fbclid=IwAR1WyPixx0kqYkIaY_MM7XTF-c_-7u_TdhpaXGmDgwFP0ErqDhrDxcYIKx8

Sadie Roberts-Joseph, Slain Activist, Showed How Museums Can Raise Up Their
Communities
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/death-sadie-roberts-joseph-founder-louisiana-african-american-museum-ruled-homicide-180972659/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR0FcrSaTiowX-cJ8F9FQuXE9k0yR86XP7v-1s89Z863hatn6A12W3SVkKo

Oregon to require schools to teach about the Holocaust

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/16/politics/oregon-governor-holocaust-education-bill-schools/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2019-07-16T19%3A05%3A23&fbclid=IwAR0904GLPGbPIdHggxK7iqBwW80n3ePDchqiCJ0PVvj3X44PeQaGP7q5u7o

*Archaeology*

Centuries old DeKalb County cave holds Cherokee Indian’s secrets

https://whnt.com/2019/07/16/centuries-old-dekalb-county-cave-holds-cherokee-indians-secrets/

Ancient Trove May Attest to Lost Civilization in Puerto Rico
https://www.haaretz.com/amp/archaeology/.premium.MAGAZINE-ancient-trove-may-attest-to-lost-civilization-in-puerto-rico-1.7501553

Navy warship sunk by German sub in WWII finally located off Maine coast

https://www.wmtw.com/article/navy-warship-sunk-by-german-sub-in-wwii-finally-located-off-maine-coast/28437697?fbclid=IwAR06MLUbrXYXXVqvkcISj1cdwEzkwKr0VUS_fX_m1K5afThILxJfwAMlHTY

When an Earthquake Followed a Flood, This Ancient City Disappeared Forever

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2019/07/prophetic-demise-ancient-city/592963/?utm_term=2019-07-19T11%3A44%3A39&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=citylab&utm_content=edit-promo

World <https://www.cnn.com/world>

Human remains and musket balls found at battle site marking Napoleon
Bonaparte's final defeat

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/18/world/waterloo-excavation-trnd/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2019-07-19T12%3A02%3A06&utm_source=twCNNi

US lawmakers propose ban on export of tribes' sacred items
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/world/article/US-lawmakers-propose-protections-for-tribes-14105124.php

Whereabouts unknown: see the antiquities US authorities are still trying to
track down

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/gallery/whereabouts-unknown-see-the-antiquities-us-authorities-are-still-trying-to-track-down

US authorities file criminal charges against antiquities dealer Subhash
Kapoor and seven others

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/us-authorities-file-criminal-charges-against-antiquities-dealer-subhash-kapoor-and-seven-others

*Egyptology*

Egypt's Bent Pyramid opens to visitors

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48976265

King Tut's coffin to be restored for the first time since it was discovered

https://www.cnn.com/style/article/king-tut-coffin-restoration-scli-intl/index.html

*General Science*

This Food-Delivery Robot Wants to Share the Bike Lane

https://www.wired.com/story/food-delivery-robot-wants-share-bike-lane/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_071719_daily_list3_p1&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20071719%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

How the Arabian stargazer is smashing stereotypes in the space industry

https://www.clickorlando.com/moon-landing/how-the-arabian-stargazer-is-smashing-stereotypes-in-the-space-industry

An Astronaut’s Guide to Eating in Space

https://www.wired.com/story/an-astronauts-guide-to-eating-in-space/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_071719_daily_list3_p2&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20071719%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

50 astronauts, in their own words
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/national/50-astronauts-life-in-space/?utm_term=.c0e2a5947165

Meet John Houbolt: He Figured Out How To Go To The Moon, But Few Were
Listening
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/18/739934923/meet-john-houbolt-he-figured-out-how-to-go-to-the-moon-but-few-were-listening?sc=tw

Forget new crewed missions in space. NASA should focus on saving Earth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/forget-new-manned-missions-in-space-nasa-should-focus-on-saving-earth/2019/07/18/79e55eb8-a995-11e9-9214-246e594de5d5_story.html?fbclid=IwAR2beEmJugMeAxVv1rEo6Si8UopwYVIPSFGaKtDuXOFQPTRaNrP4wqPN3U0&utm_term=.6cb0db763202

We might grow plants on Mars by warming the ice caps with “frozen smoke”

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613958/we-might-grow-plants-on-mars-by-warming-the-ice-caps-with-frozen-smoke/?utm_campaign=site_visitor.unpaid.engagement&utm_medium=tr_social&utm_source=twitter
  Europe's Weeklong Satellite Outage Is Over—But Still Serves as a Warning
https://www.wired.com/story/galileo-satellite-outage-gps/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_071919&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=WIR_Daily

What Does A Rocket Scientist Look Like? Ask Georgia Tech Grad, Tiffany Davis
https://www.gpbnews.org/post/what-does-rocket-scientist-look-ask-georgia-tech-grad-tiffany-davis

Hawaii Protesters Block Access Road To Stop Construction Of Massive
Telescope

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/15/741990200/hawaii-protesters-block-access-road-to-stop-construction-of-massive-telescope?sc=tw

Of Little Details And Lunar Dust: Preserving Neil Armstrong's Apollo 11
Spacesuit

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/11/734031425/of-little-details-and-lunar-dust-preserving-neil-armstrongs-apollo-11-spacesuit?fbclid=IwAR0hputRw_yxsr2kZMbNwzErcahGfI4d3DK8iigJTDOn_poR1tqp3icXeWY&t=1563117663398

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Wild rice project sows seeds for university, tribal collaboration

https://news.wisc.edu/wild-rice-project-sows-seeds-for-university-tribal-collaboration/?fbclid=IwAR1Kd6LyaHevjvbDCfr6tXkWKS1CX4qA3a12L9B-sLVuzC_rX3B7OfHYB48

EPA to allow use of pesticides beekeepers say "decimate beneficial insects"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/epa-to-allow-use-of-pesticides-beekeepers-say-decimate-beneficial-insects/?fbclid=IwAR0DmBMFztBebQsUFliwr1-VOy2Ro0KrW_Px8JYts2c2Ziom2HgYbzM0APM

Judge throws out Trump order and restores Obama-era drilling ban in Arctic

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-arctic-drilling-judge-trump-obama-20190330-story.html?fbclid=IwAR3l-LbI9pyFJ8oWFKGtltty_w98vkYDEuAHUffusC6AP34bHy743pgANvU

Landlocked Nebraska Town May Hold Key to Fish Farming Quandary

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-12/landlocked-nebraska-town-may-hold-key-to-fish-farming-quandary?utm_campaign=socialflow-organic&utm_content=business&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cmpid=socialflow-twitter-business

Giant Shipper Bets Big On Ending Its Carbon Emissions. Will It Pay Off?

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/15/736565697/giant-shipper-bets-big-on-ending-its-carbon-emissions-will-it-pay-off?sc=tw

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*   What Happens When
Reproductive Tech Like IVF Goes Awry?

https://www.wired.com/story/when-ivf-goes-awry/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_071719_daily_list1_p1&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20071719%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

Investigation into cruise line after ship filmed running through pod of
whales in Alaska

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=12244884

Not Just For Soldiers: Civilians With PTSD Struggle To Find Effective
Therapy

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/05/20/725019678/not-just-for-soldiers-civilians-with-ptsd-struggle-to-find-effective-therapy?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190520

Loose RNA molecules rejuvenate skin, researchers discover

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-07-loose-rna-molecules-rejuvenate-skin.html?fbclid=IwAR21GLylQjXobjvt_-D4yIyreUEGUNT6Xdsuu_OU4vlJEYJLZoJeqMmi8VE

Elon Musk reveals brain-hacking plans

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49004004?fbclid=IwAR2d7dKifAayamB-XIvIhjHl3yRIuTzEUEtfbnYDdf2wfiJACuTDyCXx_9I#
<https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49004004?fbclid=IwAR2d7dKifAayamB-XIvIhjHl3yRIuTzEUEtfbnYDdf2wfiJACuTDyCXx_9I>

*Other*

The Monk Who Taught the World Mindfulness Awaits the End of This Life

https://time.com/5511729/monk-mindfulness-art-of-dying/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook&utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Additional Informational

World Heritage explained- Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE6ma1NrAqM&fbclid=IwAR0O0p6w307hPn5_ui9QbiczXygkEey77-IPduemkF5OuBZKW-KgOO6PlzQ

One Man versus the Reich: The 1939 Attempt to Assassinate Adolf Hitler

https://medium.com/memory-action/one-man-versus-the-reich-the-1939-attempt-to-assassinate-adolf-hitler-536d1dc80d54

THE JULY 20, 1944, PLOT TO ASSASSINATE ADOLF HITLER

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/the-july-20-1944-plot-to-assassinate-adolf-hitler?fbclid=IwAR0yd0jPaWc4WBiIaNTZ6QTksBGp5SzBGDCKbDyQ71F2BKv_-U1a58yzXcA

*West Family Update - Honoring JAW*

Hello Friends,

Zeke West here, writing you on behalf of the West family. Its been quite
some time since we last sent anything to you all and with today being
John's (would be) 87th birthday, it seems like the right occasion to reach
out.

Since he passed there hasn't been a day where his memory and legacy hasn't
touched us all, and these sentiments are particularly palpable today while
reflecting on his sardonic wit, endless supply of often hilarious and
enlightening stories, and encouragement to follow our own paths. As we send
out our thoughts and best wishes across the veil we are reminded of the
support so many of you provided through some of the most difficult times
over the past few years. Thank you all! And as the saying goes: it takes a
village. You all make one hell of a village!

Since last year's WestFest we have all been diligently working on a long
list of projects, both on the property here as well as revivifying the
online presence of his work.  With the help of close friends, work
continues on a long discussed update, expansion and re-titling of one of
his books.

Westhenge was the name he dubbed our several acres nestled in the foothills
of the Catskill mountains here in upstate New York. On this property we
have maintained the house where Zoe and I grew up, and have been renovating
the writers studio/cabin he affectionately called his "bookstye" where he
spent most of his days when not traveling. While we are endeavoring to
retain the rustic style he so loved, efforts are being made to add some
comforts and beautification that we hope he would appreciate. And before
you ask, don't worry, his library has been moved to a safe location and
that may be the foundation of another project down the road. Once completed
we will be promoting it via one of the popular rental services but whoever
is interested in spending some time there please don't hesitate to reach
out to us.

John had always marked his true birthday with the publishing of his first
short story; he was as proud of his literary career as he was of pushing
back against the establishment and fighting entrenched ideology. Through
many different media he produced hundreds of hours of material.  We are
doing what we can to consolidate as much of it as possible and provide a
platform where it is more accessible and easily navigated. While the final
form of this is still coming together, we are aiming for something publicly
accessible by this time next year.

Of the many books he authored, a re-branding and updating of his popular
but dated Traveler's Key to Ancient Egypt was a project he was very keen
on. John recognized that times have changed and what was needed now was a
new more comprehensive book including the many new discoveries and
revelations from both inside and outside Egypt that lend further credence
to his symbolist view of Ancient Egypt, something he was very passionate
about. We are excited to announce that with the help of a very close family
friend and some colleagues this project which has been underway since
before John's illness will be published. The book goes well beyond the
scope of a guide book and is intended for a much broader audience. We are
aiming for a release date in July of 2020.

For all of you who were able to make it to WestFest in 2018 and were
looking forward to another one after talk of making it an annual event, we
are sorry. With everything going on this year absorbing available time and
resources we just couldn't make it a reality for 2019. That being said, we
are eager to get another event organized and with a bit of luck 2020 will
see the triumphant return of WestFest.  The last one was certainly a
gathering that would have made John proud, and that is a tradition that
bears repeating!

Again, Thank you all, more updates to come, hopefully sooner rather than
later!

All the very best,
The Wests

PS. It is impossible for us to recall and insure that everyone who might be
interested in these updates receive them, that said please feel free to
send this on to anyone/everyone you feel would like to be in the know.