[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 3-22-19

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 11:34:24 PDT 2019

*Weekly Science Report*

*March 22, 2019*

*“The true meaning of Islam will not only focus on how Muslims worship but
also on who we are: mothers, fathers, spouses, students, neighbors,
friends.  People who smile with pride at their child’s first step; laugh
with friends over the old times; worry about exam results; cry at the sight
of our children in pain.  People just like you!”*

Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Kingdom of Jordan on being Muslim

*Table of Contents*

Introduction. 2 <#_Toc396567381>

News Articles. 3 <#_Toc396567382>

Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies. 3 <#_Toc396567383>

History. 4 <#_Toc396567384>

Archaeology. 6 <#_Toc396567385>

Egyptology. 7 <#_Toc396567386>

General Science. 8 <#_Toc396567387>

Physics, Earth and Space Sciences. 9 <#_Toc396567388>

Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources. 10
<#_Toc396567389>

Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences. 11 <#_Toc396567390>

Other 12 <#_Toc396567391>

Additional Informational 13 <#_Toc396567392>

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Ancient Monkey Bone Tools Shake Up the Narrative of Early Human Migration
to the Rain Forest
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ancient-monkey-bone-tools-shake-narrative-early-human-migration-rain-forest-180971723/

Spectacular new fossil bonanza captures explosion of early life

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2019/03/treasure-trove-of-spectacular-fossils-found-in-china/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=twitter::cmp=editorial::add=tw20190321science-riverbedfossilschina::rid=&sf209735716=1

Researchers shed new light on the origins of modern humans

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/uoh-nrs032019.php

Paleontologists report world's biggest Tyrannosaurus rex

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-paleontologists-world-biggest-tyrannosaurus-rex.html

*History*

More than 300 million people will celebrate Nowruz (and you should, too)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/20/world/what-is-nowruz-trnd/index.html

African sailors aboard Henry VIII’s warship reveal hidden diversity of
Tudor England

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/henry-viii-african-sailors-ship-tudor-history-diversity-a8822546.html

Jack the Ripper identified, but these cold case murders, kidnappings remain
a mystery

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/03/19/jack-ripper-identified-dna-cold-cases-remain-unsolved/3210656002/

The Questionable Science Behind the New Jack the Ripper Claim

https://www.livescience.com/65034-jack-the-ripper-shawl-evidence.html

Babylonian treasure seized at Heathrow to be returned to Iraq

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/mar/10/babylonian-treasure-seized-at-heathrow-to-be-returned-to-iraq?CMP=share_btn_link

How to move a masterpiece: the secret business of shipping priceless
artworks

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2019/mar/21/how-to-move-a-masterpiece-secret-business-shipping-priceless-artworks-art-handling

One of India's holiest cities is being reborn. Not everyone is happy

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/2019/03/india-holy-city-being-reborn-not-everyone-is-happy/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=twitter::cmp=editorial::add=tw20190321culture-edenwalkvaranasi::rid=&sf209740055=1

Thieves Steal A Famous Painting From An Italian Church — But Don't Worry,
It's Fake

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/17/704257951/thieves-steal-a-famous-painting-from-an-italian-church-but-dont-worry-it-s-fake

After 200 years, Cherokee poised to regain mysterious tribal mound dating
to 1,000 AD

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article227398394.html

Former British Soldier To Be Prosecuted For 1972 'Bloody Sunday' Killings

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/14/703320312/former-british-soldier-to-be-prosecuted-for-1972-bloody-sunday-killings

'Sea People' Examines The Origins And History Of Polynesia

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/13/702505578/sea-people-examines-the-origins-and-history-of-polynesia

Congress Questions Trump Administration's National Monument Policy

https://www.kdnk.org/post/congress-questions-trump-administrations-national-monument-policy

Auschwitz visitors urged not to balance on railway tracks for photos

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47644553

Museum Curator In Florida Races Against Time To Preserve Holocaust Items

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/21/688886161/museum-curator-in-florida-races-against-time-to-preserve-holocaust-items?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20190321&fbclid=IwAR0OLRHz6TxBsFG59cYgKjJzY6VzuNBMrn-OSOMP2ufHY83byU8AWvKfSAU

DNA Study Investigates Migrations to Canary Islands

https://www.archaeology.org/news/7492-190322-canary-island-population

Complex societies gave birth to big gods, not the other way around

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/cshv-csg032019.php

*Archaeology*

Traces of Infamous Nazi Massacre Unearthed in Germany

https://www.livescience.com/65025-nazi-massacre-site-artifacts.html?utm_source=notification

Jersey's 5,000-year-old monument 'damaged by detectorist'

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-jersey-47538783

Ancient Inscription Points to Lost Temple of Unknown God in Yemen

https://www.livescience.com/65024-ancient-inscription-lost-temple-yemen.html

Obituary: Lamia al-Gailani, the archaeologist who brought new life to the
looted Basrah museum

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/lamia-al-gailani

Tribal officials worry Bears Ears cuts leave sacred spaces vulnerable

https://cronkitenews.azpbs.org/2019/03/13/tribal-officials-worry-bears-ears-cuts-leave-sacred-spaces-vulnerable/?fbclid=IwAR3lwyqJn_zS05LXUy3EY6MMeGkQNIjeWXzQu1-GVXXkMWTbWsQJ6MpFam4#.XIoyoPnraUg.facebook

'A true Oak Island legend': Treasure hunter Dan Blankenship dies at 95

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/a-true-oak-island-legend-treasure-hunter-dan-blankenship-dies-at-95-1.4341116#_gus&_gucid=&_gup=Facebook&_gsc=qTNbLBV

*Egyptology*

Nile shipwreck discovery proves Herodotus right – after 2,469 years

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2019/mar/17/nile-shipwreck-herodotus-archaeologists-thonis-heraclion?CMP=fb_gu

*General Science*

Surprising research funded by the National Science Foundation, which may
lose $1 billion

https://www.popsci.com/nsf-funding-science-topics

DARPA’s Newest Drone Submarine Detection Device: Snapping Shrimp
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2019/03/22/pals-program-underwater-soundscape-darpa-drones-shrimp/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2019/03/22/pals-program-underwater-soundscape-darpa-drones-shrimp/#.XJZ0nqzD_IU

4D-printed materials can be stiff as wood or soft as sponge
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/ru-4mc032119.php
*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Spaceflight Triggers Herpes Viruses to 'Reawaken'

https://www.space.com/spaceflight-herpes-viruses-reactivation.html?utm_source=notification

*Jupiter’s Great Red Spot: A *300-year*-old cyclone persists but
is shrinking*

https://theconversation.com/jupiters-great-red-spot-a-300-year-old-cyclone-persists-but-is-shrinking-112934

US detects huge meteor explosion

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47607696

A NASA Journey to the Moon May Need to Find Another Rocket or Two

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/13/science/nasa-space-launch-system.html

A 30-million page library is heading to the moon to help preserve human
civilization

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/30-million-page-library-heading-moon-help-preserve-human-civilization-ncna977786?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

The 'True' Neutrino Has Hidden from Physicists for Decades. Could They Find
It in Antarctica?

https://www.livescience.com/65042-discovering-the-true-neutrino.html?utm_source=notification

Scientists Reveal Ancient Social Networks Using AI—and X-Rays

https://www.wired.com/story/scientists-reveal-ancient-social-networks-using-ai-and-x-rays/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_03212019_daily_list1_p3&source=DAILY_NEWSLETTER&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=WIRED%20NL%20032119%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

Lighting the Way to Removing Radioactive Elements

https://science.energy.gov/news/featured-articles/2019/03-20-19/

A first glimpse deep beneath an ultraslow-spreading mid-ocean ridge

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/nuos-afg032219.php

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Non-toxic salt water battery prototype can charge in seconds

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-03-non-toxic-salt-battery-prototype-seconds.html?fbclid=IwAR301Q--ox4-ELqo_Of4rrAgAS7SY_Iu0OqxdiHROIq-hQACkNJqUaklIfE

When more women make decisions, the environment wins
https://phys.org/news/2019-03-women-decisions-environment.html?fbclid=IwAR0omywcv5Wwo3FqUkwApASNQxgD-6sdGSqKsUsNDyuEcwQ3ALZJWVHghxQ

Citizen science helps farmers adapt to climate change

https://www.scidev.net/global/agriculture/news/citizen-science-helps-farmers-adapt-to-climate-change.html

Trump's Proposed Budget Would Devastate National Parks

https://www.outsideonline.com/2391927/trump-budget-cuts-2020-national-parks?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=WYM-03132019&utm_content=WYM-03132019+CID_dd3874efe338a46da5ac51ab7153d1bf&utm_source=campaignmonitor+outsidemagazine&utm_term=reveals+massive+funding+cuts+for+everything+public-lands+related&fbclid=IwAR3Ro69XCShvMJvEgt3NMPjszf3jnl2WlVVSCU3ygcFpYgVGBj2Iihb39D4

Tall ice-cliffs may trigger big calving events -- and fast sea-level rise

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/gsoa-tim032219.php

Study shows how electricity-eating microbes use electrons to fix carbon
dioxide

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-electricity-eating-microbes-electrons-carbon-dioxide.html

Climate change affecting fish in Ontario lakes, study reveals

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-climate-affecting-fish-ontario-lakes.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Gene editing for human reproduction is 'irresponsible,' WHO panel says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/gene-editing-who-1.5063075

The evolution of brain tumors

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-03-evolution-brain-tumors.html?fbclid=IwAR1-exjO24JBp1duunl1iUZRYBGdo1yWSWd603F-_hWrf3c5ybvd-pMDnT4

*New evidence for a human magnetic sense that lets your brain detect the
Earth’s magnetic field*

https://theconversation.com/new-evidence-for-a-human-magnetic-sense-that-lets-your-brain-detect-the-earths-magnetic-field-113536

Woman Attacked by Jaguar at Arizona Zoo Says She Was ‘In the Wrong’
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/woman-attacked-jaguar-arizona-zoo-says-she-was-wrong-180971691/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR2t2eAZINQyfxBJVUtYO-2bILv_LiJbAThAUxI78v_e_gYW3oy5iwXa3UY

A More Humane Livestock Industry, Brought to You By Crispr

https://www.wired.com/story/crispr-gene-editing-humane-livestock/?CNDID=41291302&CNDID=41291302&bxid=MjM5NjgxMjIxODk5S0&hasha=3ed15b3d4270f52ce4da5de4e5031836&hashb=9085a9ae56cc45a4e9bae24e2eaeaade6e04a43e&mbid=nl_031919_daily_special-edition-cover_list1_p1&source=DAILY_COVERDROP_NEWSLETTER&utm_brand=wired&utm_mailing=Cover%20Drop%20NL%20031919_Daily%20list%20(1)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl

Computer scientists create programmable self-assembling DNA

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-03-scientists-programmable-self-assembling-dna.html?fbclid=IwAR1p5UfqZwSlxpiPODYic412BhQTnUj-3IVXjCvpqNi53_i-x25qlrwqk44

Sleep problems, Alzheimer's disease are linked, but which comes first?

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/aps-spa032119.php

Ankle exoskeleton fits under clothes for potential broad adoption

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/vu-aef032219.php

Many sharks closer to extinction than feared: Red List

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-sharks-closer-extinction-red.html

Opting Out of Vaccines Should Opt You Out of American Society

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/opting-out-of-vaccines-should-opt-you-out-of-american-society/

*Other*

Immigration is beneficial to economies, even after 100 years

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/oupu-iib031119.php

Energy monitor can find electrical failures before they happen

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/miot-emc032219.php

Meditation enhances social-emotional learning in middle school students

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-03/cfwa-mes031819.php

Additional Informational

Digital Atlas of Marine Species and Locations

http://damsl.org/

GHF Supports Community-Driven Protection of Moroccan Heritage

https://globalheritagefund.org/2019/03/21/ghf-supports-community-driven-protection-of-moroccan-heritage/

The World is Better Because of Museums

https://www.aam-us.org/2018/12/07/the-world-is-better-because-of-museums/

*Reimagining AIC and FAIC*

Shortened names, a renewed focus, and clear purpose: the American Institute
for Conservation (AIC) and the Foundation for Advancement in Conservation
(FAIC) are reimagining our organizations to help bring cultural heritage
conservation to the forefront.

“In order for cultural heritage conservation to become ingrained as a
societal value, we need to project a consistent and a strong message about
who we are, and why what we do is crucial,” notes AIC President
Margaret Holben Ellis.

Previously known as the American Institute for Conservation of Historic and
Artistic Works and the Foundation of the American Institute for
Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works, both organizations have
endeavored to advance the field of conservation for nearly 50 years.

The acronyms AIC and FAIC remain the same, but our new logos – along with
their taglines – clarify and differentiate our missions. AIC supports its
members in preserving cultural heritage. FAIC provides educational services
and resources and secures funds to assist AIC and the greater public in
protecting cultural heritage.

Note, too, that we have obtained a new, more descriptive domain name for
our online presence at www.culturalheritage.org.

Whether you have taken a course, joined one of our online forums,
participated in a conference, accessed our online resources, received a
scholarship, benefited from our emergency preparedness or response
services, or been inspired by a story shared on one of our social media
sites, we hope this news clarifies AIC and FAIC for you and enhances your
ability to care for our shared cultural heritage.

We encourage you to visit us online at www.culturalheritage.org and
continue the conversation in our Online Community
<https://community.culturalheritage.org/home> or on social media at Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/aiconservation>, Twitter
<https://twitter.com/conservators>, or LinkedIn
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/american-institute-for-conservation>.

Sincerely,

American Institute for Conservation
and Foundation for Advancement in Conservation