[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 11-8-19

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 10:31:44 PST 2019

*Weekly Science Report*

*November 8, 2019*

*“We won’t bring about peace in the world merely by praying for it; we have
to take steps to tackle the violence and corruption that disrupt peace. We
can’t expect change if we don’t take action.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Scientists Think They've Found 'Mitochondrial Eve's' First Homeland

https://www.livescience.com/mitochondrial-eve-first-human-homeland.html?utm_source=notification

Ötzi the Iceman's Unfortunate Last Journey Possibly Uncovered

https://www.livescience.com/otzi-iceman-mummy-last-journey-found.html?utm_source=notification

Ancient Ape with 'Human Legs' and 'Orangutan Arms' Moved Like No Other
Creature on Earth

https://www.livescience.com/danuvius-ape-new-species.html?utm_source=notification

Eagle Talon Jewelry Suggests Neanderthals Were Capable of Human-Like Thought
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/eagle-talon-jewelry-suggests-neanderthals-were-capable-human-thought-180973451/

‘Supernatural’ Bronze Age find could shed light on one of London’s greatest
prehistoric mysteries

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/havering-hoard-bronze-age-discovery-river-thames-sacred-london-worship-supernatural-a9170956.html

Richard Cerutti, whose mastodon discovery shook up the archaeology world,
dies

https://www.latimes.com/obituaries/story/2019-11-05/richard-cerutti-dead-mastodon-archaeology-san-diego?fbclid=IwAR2S9jyp7RDleMRC2E8fBcwFhbbDrv3JLL3fnMfNskNfH-ZbN5KfgTMXPOI

*History*

Huge discovery shows the fall of Middle East empire Mesopotamia

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1198516/ancient-history-latest-news-mesopotamia-iraq-syria-middle-east-dust-storm-archaeology-scie

Florida Principal Who Wouldn’t Call Holocaust ‘Factual’ Is Fired

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/31/us/florida-principal-holocaust.html

Harriet Tubman Facts and Myths: How the Movie Tried to Get It Right

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/movies/harriet-tubman-facts.html

John Conyers Jr., Longest-Serving African-American in Congressional
History, Dies at 90
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/27/obituaries/john-conyers-jr-dead.html

The story of a museum and of America

https://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2019/10/the-story-of-the-national-museum-of-african-american-history-and-culture/?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hu-twitter-general&utm_source=twitter

Pope asks forgiveness for theft of controversial Amazon statues

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pope-synod-amazon-theft-forgiveness/pope-asks-forgiveness-for-theft-of-controversial-amazon-statues-idUSKBN1X427A

Nazi directives and accounts of Roma genocide go on display

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/27/nazi-directives-and-accounts-of-roma-genocide-go-on-display

Last Mohawk ‘code talker’ laid to rest

https://www.wwnytv.com/2019/06/01/last-mohawk-code-talker-laid-rest/

Kung Fu Nuns kick gender stereotypes, strike a pose for equality

https://www.nbcnews.com/slideshow/kung-fu-nuns-kick-gender-stereotypes-strike-pose-equality-n1031111?fbclid=IwAR01tjezgtYGhyANJ-P0rFK8EbCmNELRrhp2w3PcPRzwHJXv_1q-MJ7uANs
  *Battlefields around the world are finding new purpose as parks
and refuges *
https://theconversation.com/battlefields-around-the-world-are-finding-new-purpose-as-parks-and-refuges-121086

*Archaeology*

Keeladi: Unearthing the 'Vaigai Valley' Civilisation of Sangam era Tamil
Nadu

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/unearthing-an-ancient-civilisation/article29856930.ece?utm_source=pushnotifications&utm_campaign=pushnotifications&utm_medium=ALL_USER

Submarine that disappeared mysteriously in World War II found after 77 years

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/lost-submarine-wwii-found-scli-intl-gbr/index.html

Archaeologists Rush To Save Oregon's Chinese Mining Sites

https://www.opb.org/news/article/oregon-chinese-mining-sites-archaeology/?utm_campaign=Crushin5&utm_source=UrbanAirship&utm_medium=push

Ancient 70-Mile-Long Wall Found in Western Iran. But Who Built It?

https://www.livescience.com/hadrians-wall-of-iran-discovered.html

Colorado Highway Expansion Routed Over Ancient Native American Sites

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/07/776818246/colorado-highway-expansion-routed-over-ancient-native-american-sites

Stunning ancient settlement discovery rewrites Greek history

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1200601/ancient-history-news-greeks-civilisation-history-philosophy-news-economic-wealth

Ancient Greece breakthrough: Lost city discovered solving 1600-year-old
Trojan mystery

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1197947/ancient-history-news-greece-greek-trojan-city-lost-treasure-tenea

Whistleblower: Archeologist Minimized 'Cultural Richness' of Site Planned
for Water Project

https://www.wvtf.org/post/whistleblower-archeologist-minimized-cultural-richness-site-planned-water-project?fbclid=IwAR1rYw_yhh3zJh0Bzq2EGrvmW7pl9eZDf9HRgn_LYW-B6Rmp6YNNqynkyuw#stream/0

UF Researchers Use Drones to Reveal Secrets of Ancient Florida Village

https://publications.clas.ufl.edu/uf-researchers-use-drones-to-reveal-secrets-of-ancient-florida-village/?fbclid=IwAR0-C-y2qG3PUGeTjtDpeOi8SxPZQShiTDElfjqCtvxUD4UdFjCBPPOQoXU

*Egyptology*

Nothing to report

*General Science*

Quantum Computer Made from Photons Achieves a New Record
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/quantum-computer-made-from-photons-achieves-a-new-record/

Dubai unveils world's largest 3D printed two-storey building

https://www.thenational.ae/uae/dubai-unveils-world-s-largest-3d-printed-two-storey-building-1.927590#11

Walmart robot janitors will mop floors, scan shelves, sort items and more

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2019/04/09/walmart-robots-stores-tasks/3408829002/

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

NASA Eyes a Possible Return to Pluto, with a Longer Stay

https://www.space.com/nasa-funds-study-pluto-orbiter-mission.html

Worldwide observations confirm nearby 'lensing' exoplanet

https://phys.org/news/2019-11-worldwide-nearby-lensing-exoplanet.html

>From Food Deliveries To Batteries, This Spacecraft Is A Lifeline For
Astronauts

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mitsubishiheavyindustries/2019/10/17/from-food-deliveries-to-batteries-this-spacecraft-is-a-lifeline-for-astronauts/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=MHI#164fec4063a8

Is a New Particle Changing the Fate of the Universe?

https://www.space.com/new-particle-changing-fate-of-universe.html?utm_source=notification

Dark energy: new experiment may solve one of the universe's greatest
mysteries

https://phys.org/news/2019-10-dark-energy-universe-greatest-mysteries.html

Secret Air Force Space Plane Lands After More Than 2 Years In Orbit

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/28/774010986/secret-air-force-space-plane-lands-after-more-than-2-years-in-orbit?sc=tw

There's Something Strange Going On Inside Neptune

https://www.space.com/something-strange-inside-neptune.html

Voyager 2 reaches interstellar space: Scientists detect plasma density jump

https://phys.org/news/2019-11-voyager-interstellar-space-scientists-plasma.html?fbclid=IwAR1pB0nhRyfvnQ2MIgIN6DggDfTavc1D2Gi5p9ZDHmJlbIpXtKLtfJMxE5E

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Can regenerative agriculture reverse climate change? Big Food is banking on
it.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/can-regenerative-agriculture-reverse-climate-change-big-food-banking-it-n1072941?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

Trump team has a plan for national parks: Amazon, food trucks and no senior
discounts

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2019-11-04/trump-administration-privatize-national-parks-tourism

LA Looks To Combat Climate Change With ‘Cool Streets’ Technology

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019/10/23/la-looks-to-combat-climate-change-with-cool-streets-technology/amp/

Senator Mike Lee Argues For State Management Of Public Land At
Controversial Moab Meeting

https://www.kuer.org/post/senator-mike-lee-argues-state-management-public-land-controversial-moab-meeting#stream/0

Major Coal Producer And Trump Booster Files For Bankruptcy

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/29/774391189/nations-largest-coal-producer-and-trump-booster-files-for-bankruptcy?sc=tw

Residents Of An Eroded Alaskan Village Are Pioneering A New One, In Phases

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/02/774791091/residents-of-an-eroded-alaskan-village-are-pioneering-a-new-one-in-phases?sc=tw

Trump Administration Proposes Relaxing Rules On Waste From Coal Plants

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/04/776174139/trump-administration-proposes-relaxing-rules-on-waste-from-coal-plants?sc=tw

Hindu festival in India marred by a river of toxic foam and a blanket of
killer smog

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/yamuna-rivers-toxic-foam-and-delhi-air-pollution-greet-india-hindu-devotees-for-chhath-puja-festival/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=76510097&fbclid=IwAR0tnQ9FnmoA4ERCTbt3GUqK51r35kLHwk2g-z8ph4Dbt__a5QMBEQw9Gss

Scientists Around the World Declare ‘Climate Emergency’
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/scientists-around-world-declare-climate-emergency-180973462/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR3dz7ncp1OGTK2hKyNGVI2a6BGZzWfrJJdNiOrpDMXnNPMo-sx6jp5-tSU

Air Pollution Turned India's Capital Into a 'Climate Emergency.' It's Part
of a Global Trend Killing 7 Million Prematurely Each Year

https://time.com/5718012/new-delhi-pollution-2019/

Flood of Oil Is Coming, Complicating Efforts to Fight Global Warming

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/03/business/energy-environment/oil-supply.html

*A new chemistry innovation could reduce smog, *acid-rain* and *
asthma-inducing* pollution*

https://theconversation.com/a-new-chemistry-innovation-could-reduce-smog-acid-rain-and-asthma-inducing-pollution-124159

*The EPA disbanded our clean air science panel. We met anyway – and found
that particle pollution regulations aren’t protecting public health*
https://theconversation.com/the-epa-disbanded-our-clean-air-science-panel-we-met-anyway-and-found-that-particle-pollution-regulations-arent-protecting-public-health-125779
  *3 global conditions – and a map – for saving nature and using it wisely*
https://theconversation.com/3-global-conditions-and-a-map-for-saving-nature-and-using-it-wisely-124063

Is this the solution to contaminated water on military bases?

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2019/11/05/is-this-the-solution-to-contaminated-water-on-military-bases/

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Facing hard times, Shriners may close hospitals

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/30139770/ns/health-health_care/t/facing-hard-times-shriners-may-close-hospitals/?fbclid=IwAR0AJbmbKGefbARAI1eL6cA7_G0cjAcpABWUu-2pXaJ9vsblNDrrLJb-F6M#.XcAqYzNKiiP

No Bowhead Sightings Yet For Alaskan Whalers. Some Blame Climate Change

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/29/774177054/no-bowhead-sightings-yet-for-alaskan-whalers-some-blame-climate-change?sc=tw

Controversy Kicks Up Over A Drug Meant to Prevent Premature Birth

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/11/04/776172053/controversy-kicks-up-over-a-drug-meant-to-prevent-preterm-birth?sc=tw

This Congolese Doctor Discovered Ebola But Never Got Credit For It — Until
Now

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2019/11/04/774863495/this-congolese-doctor-discovered-ebola-but-never-got-credit-for-it-until-now?sc=tw

Scientists discover first new HIV strain in nearly two decades

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/06/health/hiv-new-strain-discovered/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2019-11-06T22%3A02%3A03&utm_term=link&fbclid=IwAR3ZfEa4OF3SRhCfvBxIGKoyJ4ZG4lUOsuOIuc-87IPEHNKanfIJUbV3nyE

*Other*

Do We Need a Special Language to Talk to Aliens?

https://www.wired.com/story/do-we-need-a-special-language-to-talk-to-aliens/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_110519&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list1_p2

Reach Out: Ways To Help A Loved One At Risk Of Suicide

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/04/20/707686101/reach-out-ways-to-help-a-loved-one-at-risk-of-suicide?fbclid=IwAR2C3-tHiyMsmCjWk0tJkbka00yi_GNG6sA8G6-JAhJrH8PACxIX0fQ3E5E

The Nikola Tesla inventions that should have made the inventor famous, such
as the 'teleautomaton,' 'shadowgraphs' and possibly a death ray

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/25/world/most-famous-tesla-inventions-scn/

'Goodness and humor' celebrated as 'Sesame Street' turns 50

https://abcnews.go.com/Lifestyle/wireStory/goodness-humor-celebrated-sesame-street-turns-50-66766096?cid=social_fb_abcn

*Why ‘acting locally’ is impossible in an interconnected world*

https://theconversation.com/why-acting-locally-is-impossible-in-an-interconnected-world-115897

Additional Informational

Nothing to report