[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 10-25-19

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 12:39:57 PDT 2019

*Weekly Science Report*

*October 25, 2019*

*“A great war leaves the country with three armies - an army of cripples,
an army of mourners, and an army of thieves.”*

German Proverb

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*   Powerful
earthquakes reveal mysterious 15-million-year-old fossil in California
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/10/26/california-earthquakes-july-reveal-mysterious-fossil-simi-valley/2468723001/

*Fast evolution explains the tiny stature of extinct ‘Hobbit’ from
Flores Island*
https://theconversation.com/fast-evolution-explains-the-tiny-stature-of-extinct-hobbit-from-flores-island-124747

*History*

Beyond the Grave: Franco’s Memory Exhumed

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/22/opinion/francisco-franco.html

The Army Is Looking for a Few Good Art Experts

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/21/arts/design/new-monuments-men.html

Mystery of 15th-Century Bayeux Tapestry Solved

https://www.livescience.com/bayeux-tapestry-mystery-solved.html?utm_source=notification

HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ depicts a deadly Tulsa race massacre that was all too real

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2019/10/21/hbos-watchmen-depicts-tulsa-race-massacre-that-was-all-too-real-hundreds-died/?fbclid=IwAR1QB-4YhXnyPBpKpNth_nSiWK9cqRCRImQMXPVX-vbVdpzzG1uw1IH-Sm0

Thar Be Witches, and Us

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/25/opinion/sunday/thar-be-witches-and-us.html

Curse of the murdered Bangor fur trader

https://bangordailynews.com/2018/10/20/homestead/curse-of-the-murdered-bangor-fur-trader/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR19ctz-WHe26zcDnJc5BBZhoHAYjLOGAm5aHbqefqM3vLUdEf5OBHiETlw#Echobox=1571599865

The Untold Story of the Secret Mission to Seize Nazi Map Data
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/untold-story-secret-mission-seize-nazi-map-data-180973317/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR3Qj7YVqiUTJbXFRrPtE_B8w4Lm9uubp08Zpod9U9e8Eo6lWn53hbC4M_o

Who’s stealing Christopher Columbus Letters from Libraries around the World?

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/christopher-columbus-letters-stolen-from-vatican-libraries-around-the-world-60-minutes-2019-10-20/

160 years after massacre, California returns island to small Native
American tribe

https://kutv.com/news/nation-world/california-tribe-regains-island-it-calls-center-of-universe?fbclid=IwAR2gycrk1GpOCSKqszBy8axX3qKxY2p9sim-TueF1OjQtScZSNXOIpidE0U

Washington's Palestine museum brings new voices to the US capital

*https://www.middleeasteye.net/discover/us-washington-palestine-museum?fbclid=IwAR1u7Nuyyk5tMVmlzM0Ggi_pwiZXFgWqN_rSBtHuBXsIniftjFn40nnqXnM
<https://www.middleeasteye.net/discover/us-washington-palestine-museum?fbclid=IwAR1u7Nuyyk5tMVmlzM0Ggi_pwiZXFgWqN_rSBtHuBXsIniftjFn40nnqXnM>*

Why I brought my family to a mosque after Sunday Mass

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2019/10/22/why-i-brought-my-family-mosque-after-sunday-mass

Cherokee reclaim landmarks of ancient Asheville

https://www.citizen-times.com/story/news/local/2015/08/02/cherokee-reclaim-landmarks-ancient-asheville/31027001/

A made for TV-style crime probe into the looting of ancestral remains

https://newsmaven.io/indiancountrytoday/news/a-made-for-tv-style-crime-probe-into-the-looting-of-ancestral-remains-b9PcWcLbg0OLLmONhkiWgQ/

Nobel Literature Prize judges defend controversial award for Peter Handke

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/entertainment-arts-50099218

*Archaeology*

Charleston looking to preserve hidden history with new archaeology ordinance

https://www.live5news.com/2019/10/22/charleston-looking-preserve-hidden-history-with-new-archaeology-ordinance/?fbclid=IwAR1WpBLk0fJn1ZhGrvGB8lRDR2LWNeRZlWrhKIDFzwY-BLVTdus6h_d_17I

*Is UNESCO World Heritage status for cultural sites killing the things
it loves?*

https://theconversation.com/is-unesco-world-heritage-status-for-cultural-sites-killing-the-things-it-loves-98546

Mayan mystery: How archaeologists uncovered secret 'passage to the
underworld' in Mexico

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1191972/mayan-archaologists-secret-passage-underworld-pyramid-moon-mexico-teotihuacan-spt

Whistleblower: Archeologist Minimized 'Cultural Richness' of Site Planned
for Water Project

https://www.wvtf.org/post/whistleblower-archeologist-minimized-cultural-richness-site-planned-water-project?fbclid=IwAR1rYw_yhh3zJh0Bzq2EGrvmW7pl9eZDf9HRgn_LYW-B6Rmp6YNNqynkyuw#stream/0

*Egyptology*

Coptic: Ancient language still spoken today

https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/16207/Coptic-Ancient-language-still-spoken-today

*General Science*

Nothing to report

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

We Should Just Build Giant Telescopes ... in Space

https://www.wired.com/story/we-should-just-build-giant-telescopes-in-space/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_102419&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list2_p1

'It's very me': NASA engineer celebrates Palestinian heritage in viral photo

*https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/NASA-engineer-Palestinian-heritage-viral-photo-Nujoud-Merancy?fbclid=IwAR0GV5fauTviy5jZwhzIxUDZ4HXrw8FK5i_bIIw7_tQLQd-V2OeSZbz0ti0
<https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/NASA-engineer-Palestinian-heritage-viral-photo-Nujoud-Merancy?fbclid=IwAR0GV5fauTviy5jZwhzIxUDZ4HXrw8FK5i_bIIw7_tQLQd-V2OeSZbz0ti0>*

This Map Lets You Plug in Your Address to See How It’s Changed Over the
Past 750 Million Years

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/map-lets-you-plug-your-address-see-how-neighborhood-has-changed-over-past-750-million-years-180971507/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR0Y8HHmmIDysxOyyhC438iZGdFZyLnS4LafXZjMQtZUzIqfkpDUHMYi5TM

NASA eyeing inflatable space lodges for moon, Mars and beyond

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-space-exploration-habitat/nasa-eyeing-inflatable-space-lodges-for-moon-mars-and-beyond-idUSKBN1WW1H2

Asteroid danger: 100% certainty of impact warns space expert - 'We need to
leave Earth'

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/1191021/Asteroid-news-chance-of-impact-asteroids-hit-Earth-cataclysm-Lembit-Opik-asteroid-news

Last Seen In 1986, Halley’s Comet Will Make Its Presence Known This Week
With Shooting Star Show

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamiecartereurope/2019/10/18/last-seen-in-1986-halleys-comet-will-make-its-presence-known-this-week-with-shooting-star-show/#3af354b77732

Rocket Lab—yep, Rocket Lab—has a plan to deliver satellites to the Moon

https://arstechnica.com/science/2019/10/rocket-lab-yep-rocket-lab-has-a-plan-to-deliver-satellites-to-the-moon/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Submarine Hobbyists Help Researchers On Montana's Flathead Lake

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/02/755571204/submarine-hobbyists-help-researchers-on-montanas-flathead-lake?sc=tw

'Artificial leaf' successfully produces clean gas

https://techxplore.com/news/2019-10-artificial-leaf-successfully-gas.html?fbclid=IwAR0oi1icFf99X3o1mRzv8TKmK4_H347NXs8r-KmjNFGbUrqNB9ZaXMIxmyY

This charity is feeding the hungry and helping the planet by rescuing
millions of pounds of leftover food

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/25/health/iyw-forgotten-harvest-food-waste-trnd/index.html?utm_term=video&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNNi&utm_content=2019-10-20T14%3A31%3A04

Gas Station Converts To Electric Charging Station And Speeds Ahead Of Curve

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/26/773446805/gas-station-converts-to-electric-charging-station-and-speeds-ahead-of-curve?sc=tw

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Scientists Create New, More Powerful Technique To Edit Genes

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2019/10/21/771266879/scientists-create-new-more-powerful-technique-to-edit-genes?sc=tw

Psilocybin Sessions: Psychedelics could help People with Addiction and
Anxiety

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/psychedelic-drugs-lsd-active-agent-in-magic-mushrooms-to-treat-addiction-depression-anxiety-60-minutes-2019-10-13/

*We need to understand the culture of whales so we can save them*

https://theconversation.com/we-need-to-understand-the-culture-of-whales-so-we-can-save-them-123884?fbclid=IwAR3i6YDwRO4xsJrik9vSbvwKalxTYN-4S6RdyA-p8nprcSI9KS0n_BFa2t0

*Other*

A Paris Colony for Exiled Artists Needs a New Home

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/23/arts/design/paris-artists-refugees-asylum.html

Additional Informational

Take Action: Protect Grand Canyon and Chaco Culture!

https://p2a.co/TgHkSZA

FAIC receives grant from IMLS to grow Connecting to Collections Care

https://www.culturalheritage.org/docs/default-source/administration/public-relations/c2cc-imls-grant-2019-10-22.pdf

We asked some of the boldest thinkers what the world will be like in 50
years. Here’s what their answers tell us about the future

https://qz.com/is/the-world-in-50-years/expert/1690897/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&linkId=100000008592353

New publication for ICOM Members: The ICOM Social Media Guidelines

https://icom.museum/en/news/new-publication-for-icom-members-the-icom-social-media-guidelines/

Artificial intelligence in education: challenges and opportunities for
sustainable development

https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000366994