[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 12-11-20

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 12:21:42 PST 2020

*Weekly Science Report*

*December 11, 2020*

*”We were hunters and foragers. The frontier was everywhere. We were
bounded only by the earth, and the ocean, and the sky. The open road still
softly calls. Our little terraqueous globe as the madhouse of those hundred
thousand millions of worlds. We, who cannot even put our own planetary home
in order, riven with rivalries and hatreds; are we to venture out into
space?*

*By the time we are ready to settle even the nearest other planetary
systems, we will have changed. The simple passage of so many generations
will have changed us; necessity will have changed us. We are... an
adaptable species. It will not be we who reach Alpha Centauri and the other
nearby stars. It will be a species very like us, but with more of our
strengths, and fewer of our weaknesses; more confident, farseeing, capable
and prudent.*

*For all our failings, despite our limitations and fallibilities, we humans
are capable of greatness. What new wonders undreamt of in our time, will we
have wrought in another generation, and another? How far will our nomadic
species have wandered, by the end of the next century, and the next
millennium?*

*Our remote descendants, safely arrayed on many worlds through the solar
system, and beyond, will be unified, by their common heritage, by their
regard for their home planet, and by the knowledge that, whatever other
life may be, the only humans in all the universe, come from Earth. They
will gaze up and strain to find the blue dot in their skies. They will
marvel at how vulnerable the repository of all our potential once was, how
perilous our infancy, how humble our beginnings, how many rivers we had
to cross, before we found our way.”*

Carl Sagan

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

These 480-million-year-old conga lines preserve early signs of group
behavior

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/article/ampyx-priscus-conga-line/?utm_campaign=nova&utm_content=1607191081&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Scientists clarify origins of pterosaurs, the dinosaur era's flying reptiles

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28J2IW?s=09

Neanderthals buried their dead: New evidence
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201209140358.htm   Two stones
fuel debate over when America’s first settlers arrived
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/stones-mastodon-bones-debate-america-first-settlers

A well-preserved ichthyosaur species discovered in Dorset

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-12/p-awi120320.php

Mass extinctions of land-dwelling animals occur in 27-million-year cycle

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-mass-extinctions-land-dwelling-animals-million-year.html

How Dinosaurs Thrived in the Snow

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-dinosaurs-thrived-snow-180976435/

Earth’s Harshest Ecosystems May Birth New Species Fastest

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/new-species-may-arise-more-frequently-earths-barren-ecosystems-180976517/

*History*

AIM Co-founder Eddie Benton-Banai Remembered for His Contributions to
Native Culture

https://nativenewsonline.net/currents/aim-co-founder-eddie-benton-banai-remembered-for-his-contributions-to-native-culture?idU=2&utm_content=buffer7ee21&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

'God ... Let Us Survive': Remembering Korean War's Chosin Battle And
Evacuation

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/04/941237449/god-let-us-survive-remembering-korean-wars-chosin-battle-and-evacuation?sc=18&f=1001

The Memorial to Crazy Horse Has Been Under Construction For Almost 70 Years

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/memorial-crazy-horse-has-been-under-construction-almost-70-years-180967377/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

*Will there be a monument to the *COVID-19* pandemic?*

https://theconversation.com/will-there-be-a-monument-to-the-covid-19-pandemic-146827

Where no one can hear him Scream—Norway buries digital copies of Munch and
other treasures in Arctic shelter

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/munch-s-the-scream-put-on-arctic-ice

Why us? European museums cry foul over second lockdown

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/why-us-european-museums-cry-foul-over-second-lockdown

‘From bad to worse’: over half of US museums have laid off or furloughed
staff, survey shows

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/from-bad-to-worse-over-half-of-us-museums-have-laid-off-or-furloughed-staff-survey-shows

Reckoning with slavery: What a revolt’s archives tell us about who owns
the past

https://theconversation.com/reckoning-with-slavery-what-a-revolts-archives-tell-us-about-who-owns-the-past-150588

After 51 years, the Zodiac Killer's cipher has been solved by amateur
codebreakers

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/us/zodiac-killer-cypher-340-code-trnd/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-12-12T03%3A29%3A19&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_term=link

He Escaped Death as a Kamikaze Pilot. 70 Years Later, He Told His Story.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/03/world/asia/japan-kamikaze.html?smtyp=cur&smid=fb-nytimes

'Date which will live in infamy': What to remember about Pearl Harbor, 79
years later

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/12/07/what-to-know-national-pearl-harbor-remembrance-day/3839353001/?fbclid=IwAR05SBKWQ9eN-JOHqtinnCQLobUjcXTY6TZH112ue5hEjVJnYyysEmfcDpA

PHOTOS: Why These World War II Sex Slaves Are Still Demanding Justice

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/12/04/940819094/photos-there-still-is-no-comfort-for-the-comfort-women-of-the-philippines?utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr

These are the countries with the most UNESCO World Heritage sites

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/12/unesco-world-heritage-countries-history-archaeology-landmarks-italy-china?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social_scheduler&utm_term=Arts%20and%20Culture&utm_content=05%2F12%2F2020%2020%3A00&s=09

At Pearl Harbor, This Aircraft Risked It All to Find the Japanese Fleet

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/pearl-harbor-day-aircraft-risked-it-all-to-find-japanese-180961331/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR1PlEk-IEsl1GavhE92x2JHxcbtJfkPEBhQUfgtK8mdwiFJs6E054eNUto

Revealed: Isaac Newton’s attempts to unlock secret code of pyramids

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/dec/06/revealed-isaac-newtons-attempts-to-unlock-secret-code-of-pyramids

'America's greatest Pilot' Chuck Yeager, first person to break sound
barrier, dies at 97

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/12/07/chuck-yeager-us-test-pilot-break-sound-barrier-dies-97/6486730002/

The Hupa People Have Endured for Over 150 Years. Today, Trump Threatens Our
River.

https://nativenewsonline.net/opinion/the-hupa-people-have-endured-for-over-150-years-today-trump-threatens-our-river?idU=2&utm_content=buffer842e3&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR24uquBgwIS6YNd7B91R3i8ZAfgoByFYO-xz_8nOgEv73OM0sloT3VIjyc

Fatty residues on ancient pottery reveal meat-heavy diets of Indus
Civilization

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-fatty-residues-ancient-pottery-reveal.html

Mummy GI tracts yield evidence of early hospice care

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-mummy-gi-tracts-yield-evidence.html

Desert Wine

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/400-features/alcohol/9105-alcohol-israel-negev-gaza-wine

*Archaeology*

Bronze Age Monument Found in Southern England
https://www.archaeology.org/news/9225-201120-new-forest-prehistory?fbclid=IwAR2Ht92qqfiOLUGfb66PEmEq5YeIxECfpXHOQ44ryw34yKvEzCCVLZK-X1c

Divers discover Nazi WW2 enigma machine in Baltic Sea
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-germany-war-enigma-idUSKBN28D25F?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Rebuilding Notre Dame will be incredibly hard

https://www.livescience.com/documentary-rebuilding-notre-dame-cathedral.html

*How do archaeologists know where to dig?*

https://theconversation.com/how-do-archaeologists-know-where-to-dig-147176

Ancient bones reveal Irish are not Celts after all

https://www.irishcentral.com/roots/history/ancient-bones-irish-celts

Archaeologists in Golan Heights Unearth Fort Dated to Time of Biblical King
David

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/fort-king-davids-time-found-golan-heights-180976279/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

It’s a Christmas Miracle! An Archaeologist May Have Just Found Jesus’s
Childhood Home in Nazareth

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/childhood-home-jesus-christ-1928892?utm_content=bufferfd9c0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=news&fbclid=IwAR24RMea-vIDFTMQlpy2dyyvV2-znKJ1h1AA2mNGMKmhYO2GjfqfIYLpgyk

Archaeologists find vast network of Amazon villages laid out like the cosmos

https://www.livescience.com/clock-face-shaped-villages-amazon-rainforest.html?fbclid=IwAR39_emKYX6WJK4dypPDhlZeceZ4OUlQaP_LU1rJsqtVnZVe3o4UF9gELME

Stunning dark ages mosaic found at Roman villa in Cotswolds

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/10/stunning-dark-ages-mosaic-found-at-roman-villa-in-cotswolds?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0542pcot5gAoATflJ5q0svN6E1QtAzUh-UCOUZTNe5wmLV-PxN7wZ30os

Archaeologists in Spain find 400 tombs in ancient Islamic necropolis

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/necropolis-muslim-intl-scli-scn/index.html

Archaeologists Just Discovered Tens of Thousands of Ultra-Realistic Ancient
Rock Paintings in the Colombian Amazon

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/colombian-amazon-ice-age-rock-paintings-1927407

World unites to help save Iraq’s archaeological treasures

https://www.ft.com/content/56289a8e-5f68-4163-9bb2-c457000dd263?FT=&s=09

Tudor coins dedicated to three of Henry VIII's wives found in family garden

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2020/dec/09/tudor-coins-dedicated-to-three-of-henry-viiis-wives-found-in-family-garden

PHOTOS: Archeologists unravel 6000 years of reindeer hunting in Norway
through arrows

https://norwaytoday.info/news/photos-archeologists-unravel-6000-years-of-reindeer-hunting-in-norway-through-arrows/

Newly discovered ancient villages laid out like a clock face are further
proof of human impact on the Amazon

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/research/title_829836_en.html

Stonehenge's Continental Cousin

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/411-2101/letter-from/9295-germany-woodhenge

Top 10 Discoveries of 2020

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/406-2101/features/9263-top-10-discoveries-of-2020

*Egyptology*

In the Reign of the Sun Kings

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/399-2011/features/9098-egypt-abusir-sun-kings

*General Science*

Artificial visual system of record-low energy consumption for the next
generation of AI

*https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-12/cuoh-avs121020.php
<https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-12/cuoh-avs121020.php>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Chinese Chang'e-5 Is Returning From Moon With Rocks, Left A Flag To
Celebrate
https://www.npr.org/2020/12/04/943292359/chinese-change-5-is-returning-from-moon-with-rocks-left-a-flag-to-celebrate?sc=18&f=1001

'A huge loss': Giant Puerto Rico radio telescope collapses, following damage

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/huge-loss-huge-puerto-rico-radio-telescope-arecibo-collapses-following-n1249515?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR3ELkq2OdE3fLIZe8kH83W8CnCxUOqqtTX3-qvOpNML_ei1-8W-rjk_rTU

Experts Call for Government to Designate Commercial Space Sector as
Critical Infrastructure

https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2020/12/experts-call-government-designate-commercial-space-sector-critical-infrastructure/170439/

NASA grows first radishes on board the International Space Station

https://www.abc15.com/news/science-tech/nasa-grows-first-radishes-on-board-the-international-space-station

Everest Gets A Growth Spurt As China, Nepal Revise Official Elevation Upward

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/08/944152693/everest-gets-a-growth-spurt-as-china-nepal-revise-official-elevation-upward?sc=18&f=1001

NASA names 18 astronauts to train for Artemis moon landings

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nasa-astronauts-artemis-moon-mission/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6i&linkId=106748830

Water on Mars not as widespread as previously thought, study finds

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-12/uoa-wom121020.php

'Lost connection' hampers Virgin Galactic's test flight

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-virgin-galactic-flight-mexico-site.html

Chinese capsule with moon rocks begins return to Earth

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-chinese-capsule-moon-earth.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

200 years ago, people discovered Antarctica – and promptly began profiting
by slaughtering some of its animals to near extinction

https://theconversation.com/200-years-ago-people-discovered-antarctica-and-promptly-began-profiting-by-slaughtering-some-of-its-animals-to-near-extinction-147069

The Race To Crack Battery Recycling—Before It’s Too Late

https://www.wired.com/story/the-race-to-crack-battery-recycling-before-its-too-late/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&mbid=mbid%3DCRMWIR012019%0A%0A&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_content=Final&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_113020&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list1_p4

China turns on nuclear-powered 'artificial sun'

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-china-nuclear-powered-artificial-sun.html?fbclid=IwAR03xD4I0RWYsEZehfQi9r5NuitRHTL3kJ0e_XrdGgmR0cWyWfYP-VposB8

This scientist uses data from space to map clean water across the Americas

https://www.popsci.com/story/science/clean-water-map-scientist/?s=09

Great Barrier Reef has deteriorated to 'critical' level due to climate
change

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/world/great-barrier-reef-has-deteriorated-to-critical-level-due-to-climate-change

Trash tracking satellites help Indonesia tackle marine waste

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-trash-tracking-satellites-indonesia-tackle.amp?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

This giant South African 'vacuum cleaner' leaves beaches microplastic-free

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/11/south-africa-microplastic-vacuum-cleaner?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social_scheduler&utm_term=Plastics%20and%20the%20Environment&utm_content=06%2F12%2F2020%2012%3A00&s=09

Planting trees can be one tool to fight climate change - if we do it right

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/12/tree-planting-outcomes-climate-change-environment?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social_scheduler&utm_term=Forests&utm_content=06%2F12%2F2020%2011%3A30&s=09

Trump admin set to approve Arizona land swap for mine opposed by Native
Americans

https://kfgo.com/2020/12/07/trump-admin-set-to-approve-arizona-land-swap-for-mine-opposed-by-native-americans/?utm_content=buffer4d238&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer&fbclid=IwAR1VSd87ESzbum2LmbhktyamXdpvBDlUlR2ilicbUeY2DCzy5oNC405SvNI

Report: Climate change damaging more World Heritage sites

https://apnews.com/article/climate-climate-change-united-nations-glaciers-coral-reefs-8310f958a3ac7d12b67addf3aa466f9c?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=AP_Europe&utm_source=Twitter&s=09

Low oxygen levels in lakes and reservoirs may accelerate global change

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-12/vt-lol121020.php

Effective planning ahead protects fish and fisheries

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-effective-fish-fisheries.html

New 2-D Ruddlesden-Popper (RP) layered perovskite-based solar cells

https://techxplore.com/news/2020-12-d-ruddlesden-popper-rp-layered-perovskite-based.html

Scientists publish open resource to help design 'greener' energy systems

https://techxplore.com/news/2020-12-scientists-publish-resource-greener-energy.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*   *Genetic engineering
transformed stem cells into working *mini-livers* that extended the life of
mice with liver disease*
https://theconversation.com/genetic-engineering-transformed-stem-cells-into-working-mini-livers-that-extended-the-life-of-mice-with-liver-disease-151089

Experimental brain implants in monkeys offer hope for restoring vision in
blind people

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/03/europe/brain-implant-blind-intl-scli-scn/index.html?utm_content=2020-12-04T04%3A59%3A24&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR34JldfFirwzdoNftYd7_WPI4bvgMUkPYQF3fq3emLW9Waf1PX4zOo2Onk

Scientists Discover the First Animal That Doesn’t Breathe Oxygen to Live

https://www.vice.com/en/article/epg58k/scientists-discover-the-first-animal-that-doesnt-breathe-oxygen-to-live

How a flu virus shut down the US economy in 1872 – by infecting horses

https://theconversation.com/amp/how-a-flu-virus-shut-down-the-us-economy-in-1872-by-infecting-horses-150052?s=09

Universal flu vaccine shows promise in phase 1 study

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/529103-universal-flu-vaccine-shows-promise-in-phase-1-study?amp=&s=09

Humpback whale spotted in New York Harbor near Statue of Liberty

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/humpback-whale-spotted-hudson-river-near-statue-liberty-n1250601?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR2dshJ2m9pi8mr-9ov0A1uUQk4vn4XHT-ucAre6SVcpBZqJwXmGNBlK5KU

Progress Toward A Safer Psychedelic Drug To Treat Depression And Addiction

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/12/09/944572325/progress-toward-a-safer-psychedelic-drug-to-treat-depression-and-addiction?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&fbclid=IwAR15cx1QxpXz9VT0dIIGGbpVSjW4ZDwSiynuHlvpDQCXBAqhOs7pe_849xY

Electricity-Carrying Bacteria Lead to New Applications—and New Questions

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/electricity-carrying-bacteria-lead-to-new-applications-and-new-questions/

New whale species discovered in Mexico

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/americas/new-whale-species-mexico-scli-intl-scn/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_content=2020-12-10T01%3A28%3A07&utm_source=fbCNN

US panel endorses widespread use of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-12-panel-endorses-widespread-pfizer-covid-.html

These Non-Lethal Methods Encouraged by Science Can Keep Wolves From Killing
Livestock

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/these-non-lethal-methods-encouraged-science-can-keep-wolves-killing-livestock-180976505/

*Other*

Second monolith mysteriously appears in Romania—one day after another
vanishes from the Utah desert

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/second-monolith-mysteriously-appears-in-romania

Former Israeli space security chief says aliens exist, humanity not ready

https://www.jpost.com/omg/former-israeli-space-security-chief-says-aliens-exist-humanity-not-ready-651405

It's official: Harrison Ford will return in a fifth 'Indiana Jones' movie

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/11/entertainment/indiana-jones-scli-intl/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2020-12-11T16%3A00%3A41&utm_term=link

Google Employees Say Scientist's Ouster Was 'Unprecedented Research
Censorship'

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/03/942417780/google-employees-say-scientists-ouster-was-unprecedented-research-censorship?sc=18&f=1001

These countries spend the most on research and development

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/11/countries-spending-research-development-gdp?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social_scheduler&utm_term=Pioneers2020&utm_content=05%2F12%2F2020%2016%3A45&s=09

Metallic Monolith In Utah Vanishes Just As Mysteriously As It Appeared

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/29/939882228/metallic-monolith-in-utah-vanishes-just-as-mysteriously-as-it-appeared?sc=18&f=1001

Additional Informational

THEBAN Mapping Project, Valley of the Kings

https://live-t-mapping.pantheonsite.io/valley-kings

TED Talks, The Amazon belongs to Humanity, let’s Protect it Together- Video

https://www.ted.com/talks/tashka_and_laura_yawanawa_the_amazon_belongs_to_humanity_let_s_protect_it_together?utm_campaign=countdown&utm_content=2020-11-26&utm_medium=social&s=09

Forgotten Civilization: New Discoveries on the Solar-Induced Dark Age 2nd
Edition, Revised and Expanded

https://www.amazon.com/Forgotten-Civilization-Discoveries-Solar-Induced-Dark/dp/1644112922

Raman and optical microscopy of bone micro-residues on cobbles from the
Cerutti mastodon site

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2352409X20304478?fbclid=IwAR3pwcFAEiqxdnBKEUUnn5q7xhCjoURifQ9wvdLdXB97NomTO9vk-CZtOoM

TED Talks, the Standing Rock Resistance and our fight for Indigenous
Rights-Video

https://www.ted.com/talks/tara_houska_the_standing_rock_resistance_and_our_fight_for_indigenous_rights?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=social&utm_content=2020-11-26-cutdown&s=09

Early Kenyan Herders Relied on Consistency and Connections in Unpredictable
Conditions

https://www.shh.mpg.de/1923087/pastoralist-strategies-early-kenya

TED Talks, Why is 1.5 Degrees such a Big Deal?-Video

https://www.ted.com/talks/kristen_bell_giant_ant_why_is_1_5_degrees_such_a_big_deal?utm_campaign=countdown&utm_content=2020-11-23&utm_medium=social&s=09