[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 2-14-20

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 21:52:09 PST 2020

*Weekly Science Report*

*February 14, 2020*

*“Time’s always moving on. Nothing can stop it. The question is whether we
use our time well or not. We can't do anything about the past, but what
happens in the future depends on what we do now. We can create a happier
future by remembering that in being human we are all the same.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

'Ghost' DNA In West Africans Complicates Story Of Human Origins

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/805237120/ghost-dna-in-west-africans-complicates-story-of-human-origins?sc=18&f=1001

Countries demand their fossils back, forcing natural history museums to
confront their past

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/03/countries-demand-their-fossils-back-forcing-natural-history-museums-confront-their-past

Maps of a now-submerged land help reconstruct the lives of ancient Europeans

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/02/maps-now-submerged-land-help-reconstruct-lives-ancient-europeans

How did dinosaur parents know when their kids had a fever?

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/thuo-hdd021320.php

5,200-year-old grains in the eastern Altai Mountains redate trans-Eurasian
crop exchange

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/mpif-5gi021420.php

*History*

The black liberators who helped defeat the Nazis and free the Dutch get
their due

https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/2020/02/11/black-soldiers-wwii-dutch-liberation/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook

Pennsylvania Museum Discovers Unidentified Rembrandt Portrait in Its
Collection

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/rembrandt-portrait-discovered-collection-pennsylvania-museum-180974177/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

Malcolm X Doc Prompts 'Reexamination' Of Iconic Leader's Assassination
Investigation

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/11/804933076/malcolm-x-doc-prompts-reexamination-of-iconic-leader-s-assassination-investigati?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR3VFc4ad21VYBMOL2emu0OYsWk4uzTnq4LD3Z9RYKfSBfvNy50NI2GBYdA

Why Maine’s tribal chiefs are worried about new push to restore their
sovereignty

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/02/03/politics/why-tribal-chiefs-are-worried-about-maines-response-to-a-new-sovereignty-push/

Pope Francis Won't Allow Married Men As Priests, Women As Deacons

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/12/805174586/pope-francis-wont-allow-church-to-ordain-women-and-married-men-in-south-america?sc=18&f=1001

House Votes To Revive Equal Rights Amendment, Removing Ratification Deadline

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/805647054/house-votes-to-revive-equal-rights-amendment-removing-ratification-deadline?utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR0T-j11-neJFw_Jy9PiFV7fI2zSXp7wICkNosPs_4oTlbT5yMhrygXrsrc

Should a horrible past be exhumed?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/newsletters/history/2020/02/should-horrible-past-exhumed-february-10/?fbclid=IwAR2IKPKFj4QdRzTGUXbP3SSBhKZGDp9a-nijWRT7n17xlZjK8swD3rtxlOs

Arabic calligraphy to be registered as UNESCO intangible heritage

https://www.arabnews.com/node/1622031/saudi-arabia?fbclid=IwAR2-fi_sLwot3vyVMhlKtkQqEvET0ThiMAVKsNeBn4eGiSldIFFLeH_KJow

'You Shall Never Be a Bystander.' How We Learn About the Holocaust When the
Last Survivors Are Gone

https://time.com/5772511/learn-holocaust-last-survivors-gone/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=ideas_&linkId=81302810

Mel Mermelstein Survived Auschwitz, Then Sued Holocaust Deniers in Court

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/mel-mermelstein-survived-auschwitz-then-sued-holocaust-deniers-court-180970123/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia

After more than 150 years, New Zealand recognises 'extinct' Moriori people

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/feb/14/after-more-than-150-years-new-zealand-recognises-extinct-moriori-people

The search for Delhi's lost city of Indraprastha

https://www.thenational.ae/lifestyle/travel/the-search-for-delhi-s-lost-city-of-indraprastha-1.977739

*Archaeology*

Damage in 2014 to Trail of Tears in Coker Creek, Tenn., now repaired

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/local/story/2020/feb/09/damage-now-repaired-trail-of-tears/515309/?utm_content=bufferb3ebd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Laser scan may one day aid Notre Dame’s restorers

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/amp/news/interpreting-a-laser-scan-that-may-one-day-aid-notre-dame-s-restorers?__twitter_impression=true

How Do You Move a 320-Year-Old House Across an Ocean?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/japanese-house-moving-huntington-library-california.amp

Sacred Native American site in Arizona blasted for border wall construction

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/02/07/tohono-oodham-sacred-site-monument-hill-blasted-border-wall/4698174002/

UC San Diego Receives $1.3M from Koret Foundation to Support Marine
Archaeology Research

https://ucsdnews.ucsd.edu/pressrelease/uc-san-diego-receives-1.3m-from-koret-foundation-to-support-binational-collaboration-on-marine-arch

800-year-old spiral rock carvings marked the solstices for Native Americans

https://www.livescience.com/spiral-petroglyphs-southwest-marked-solstices.html

*Egyptology*

Prehistoric Clay Coffin Burials Uncovered in Northern Egypt

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8460-200214-egypt-prehistory-cemetery

*General Science*

What Scientists Can Learn From Alien Hunters

https://www.wired.com/story/what-scientists-can-learn-from-alien-hunters/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_021020&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list2_p1

*Research in China is complicated by the Communist Party’s influence, says
researcher who worked there*

https://theconversation.com/research-in-china-is-complicated-by-the-communist-partys-influence-says-researcher-who-worked-there-131277?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR1i5B9vRG1m0Mu8ok-QP05l-p5DPm8qXP9t8JojlcN56tOulEp2FOKGtuw#Echobox=1581113433

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Solar probe embarks on unprecedented mission to map sun's polar regions

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-space-exploration-sun/solar-probe-embarks-on-unprecedented-mission-to-map-suns-polar-regions-idUSKBN2030MB

Something in Deep Space Is Sending Signals to Earth in Steady 16-Day Cycles

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/wxexwz/something-in-deep-space-is-sending-signals-to-earth-in-steady-16-day-cycles

Space Force says Russian satellites are following American satellite

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/10/politics/russian-satellites-following-american-satellites-space-force/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2020-02-11T03%3A32%3A01&utm_medium=social

Solar wind samples suggest new physics of massive solar ejections

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/uoha-sws021420.php

ESO telescope sees surface of dim Betelgeuse

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/e-ets021420.php

Earth's cousins: Upcoming missions to look for 'biosignatures' in exoplanet
atmospheres

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-earth-cousins-upcoming-missions-biosignatures.html

New technologies, strategies expanding search for extraterrestrial life

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-technologies-strategies-extraterrestrial-life.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Trump Withholding $823 Million for Clean Energy, Democrats Say

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-02-05/trump-withholding-823-million-for-clean-energy-democrats-say?fbclid=IwAR0FIYiQhnoORPqYWUkoaYFX25XMjMgT1nR-OEE-rKyk63TeiPknW0gzsck

How learning about fish can help us save the Amazon rainforest

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/fm-hla021320.php

Flight of fancy? Aviation industry tries to go green

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-flight-aviation-industry-green.html

NASA flights detect millions of Arctic methane hotspots

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-nasa-flights-millions-arctic-methane.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

This bizarre virus has genes never seen before in any life-form

https://www.livescience.com/new-ameoba-virus-discovered.html?utm_source=notification

Immune discovery 'may treat all cancer'

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51182451?ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=facebook&ocid=socialflow_facebook

Molecule offers hope for halting Parkinson's

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/pu-moh021420.php

AI helps predict heart attacks and stroke

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-02/ucl-ahp021320.php

New CRISPR-based tool can probe and control several genetic circuits at once

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-crispr-based-tool-probe-genetic-circuits.html

*Other*

Harvard, Yale Accused Of Failing To Report Hundreds Of Millions In Foreign
Donations

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/13/805548681/harvard-yale-targets-of-education-department-probe-into-foreign-donations?sc=18&f=1001

Additional Informational

Strategic Implications of NASA's Moon to Mars Plan Webcast, March 5

https://www.csis.org/events/strategic-implications-nasas-moon-mars-plan?utm_source=CSIS+All&utm_campaign=c731d23770-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_10_04_06_07_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f326fc46b6-c731d23770-189939825

Venus: Exploration, Research and Colonization

https://inspacenews.com/venus-exploration-research-and-colonization-part-i/

President Trump’s Proposed Budget Cuts Target National Parks

https://www.npca.org/articles/2457-president-trump-s-proposed-budget-cuts-target-national-parks

NEH Statement on Proposed FY 2021 Budget

https://www.neh.gov/news/neh-statement-proposed-fy-2021-budget

OceanX and NOAA join to advance ocean exploration and mapping

https://www.noaa.gov/media-release/oceanx-and-noaa-join-to-advance-ocean-exploration-and-mapping

Planetary Society, NASA's FY 2021 Budget

https://www.planetary.org/get-involved/be-a-space-advocate/become-an-expert/fy2021-nasa-budget.html

Statement from Australia's Natural History Museum Directors

https://australianmuseum.net.au/about/organisation/media-centre/statement-australia-natural-history-museum-directors/?fbclid=IwAR0VkNddIgAXFQCm3lxWtZFP3s7ZDtRXJ7bWcdza-kmKhUW3rwwJ2ZGh-GU

UNESCO Intercultural Dialogue Website

https://en.unesco.org/interculturaldialogue/

TED Talk, Lessons from Auschwitz: The power of our words - Benjamin Zander-
Video

https://ed.ted.com/lessons/lessons-from-auschwitz-the-power-of-our-words-benjamin-zander