[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 1-24-20

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 20:27:27 PST 2020

*Weekly Science Report*

*January 24, 2020*

*“Time’s always moving on. Nothing can stop it. The question is whether we
use our time well or not. We can't do anything about the past, but what
happens in the future depends on what we do now. We can create a happier
future by remembering that in being human we are all the same.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

The Sahara Desert used to be green and lush. Then humans showed up.

https://www.popsci.com/sahara-desert-drought-humans/?utm_campaign=trueAnthem%3A+Trending+Content&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=facebook

Fossilized Footprints Show Neanderthals Climbing An Active Volcano

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2020/01/23/fossilized-footprints-show-neanderthals-climbing-an-active-volcano/#78be37e05c53

Photos: Archaeologists document 12,000 year old inscription in South Sinai

https://www.egyptindependent.com/archaeologists-document-12-thousand-year-old-inscription-in-south-sinai/

New species of Allosaurus discovered in Utah

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/uou-nso012220.php

Unravelling arthropod genomic diversity over 500 million years of evolution

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/siob-uag012320.php

First ancient DNA from West Africa illuminates the deep human past

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/slu-nsf012220.php

*History*

Alabama lynching memorial expands to cover the stories of 2,000 more people

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/montgomery-lynching-memorial-trnd/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_medium=social&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2020-01-20T23%3A00%3A15&fbclid=IwAR0D-m-67BWPUYw3AMrqD8NZrUwpKpL_zWxf0gjNo3VCO50prrtyaMDzUZQ&fbclid=IwAR2ssqiSert4_zBTmgZnYK8ylnWdzAyw7-VkL2A3_UTqwggmDSU0j6vFoCI

IMLS to Invest $3 Million in Professional Development, Capacity Building
Across Museum Sector

https://www.imls.gov/news/imls-invest-3-million-professional-development-capacity-building-across-museum-sector?fbclid=IwAR0hSkopj6LqGimkzKTug4DPtg6cl8eyStnuCP0xOtUQGWZ7sjBE23HwwTI

The first official Jewish transport to Auschwitz brought 999 young women.
This is their story.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/01/first-official-transport-auschwitz-999-young-women-their-story/

Tulsa Race Riot of 1921, the most destructive act of racial violence in the
U.S., was whitewashed from history

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-tulsa-race-riots-20200119-thwkyjovg5fttouzu22f2ban4i-story.html

How Museums Are Deepening Their Commitment to Native American Perspectives

https://mellon.org/shared-experiences-blog/how-museums-are-deepening-their-commitment-native-american-perspectives/?ref=fb0116

Last Auschwitz survivors speak: ‘We haven’t won, but we’ve taught our
grandkids

https://www.timesofisrael.com/last-auschwitz-survivors-speak-we-havent-won-but-weve-taught-our-grandkids/

Chief Black Coal's Headdress Repatriated To The Northern Arapaho Tribe
https://www.wyomingpublicmedia.org/post/chief-black-coals-headdress-repatriated-northern-arapaho-tribe
  Returning to Auschwitz: Holocaust survivor from Plattsburgh travels back
to 'family cemetery'
https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/40432/20200124/returning-to-auschwitz-holocaust-survivor-from-plattsburgh-travels-back-to-family-cemetery?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr

A stolen copy of a rare Christopher Columbus letter has been recovered --
and it's not the first time

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/us/christopher-columbus-stolen-copy-letter-trnd/index.html

3,000-year-old teeth solve Pacific banana mystery

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/uoo-3ts012220.php

*Archaeology*

Hidden treasures inside Titanic to be recovered under plans opposed by the
Government

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/01/21/plan-take-serious-treasures-inside-titanic-angers-mps/?utm_content=telegraph&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0iFrY_EBf_eJeXqWHN1YPVKVHyYS4nBEZFfJaCPE1rnBN6zJ6nqhgYp_0#Echobox=1579591155

A Shipwreck Off Florida’s Coast Pits Archaeologists Against Treasure Hunters

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/shipwreck-off-floridas-coast-pits-treasure-archaeologists-against-treasure-hunters-180974018/

Local control of tribal artifacts stored at SKC in danger

http://www.charkoosta.com/news/local-control-of-tribal-artifacts-stored-at-skc-in-danger/article_d0b3af5a-3d39-11ea-92b7-d3ac77a71a3c.html?utm_content=buffer97cb6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Upper Skagit Tribe offers $5k reward after ancient site in North Cascades
looted

https://www.kuow.org/stories/tribe-offers-5k-reward-after-ancient-site-in-north-cascades-looted

Met police and British Museum help Afghans recover looted ancient
masterpiece

https://amp.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jan/18/met-police-help-recover-afghan-sculpture-looted-kabul?CMP=share_btn_tw&__twitter_impression=true

Ancient sweat lodge uncovered in Mexico City
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51205284

Ancient Utah Rock Art at Risk of Disappearing Completely
https://hyperallergic.com/538712/ancient-utah-rock-art-at-risk-of-disappearing-completely/

Prehistoric rock paintings found near Almora

https://www.thestatesman.com/india/prehistoric-rock-paintings-found-near-almora-1502848632.html

Study reveals two writers penned landmark inscriptions in eighth-century
BCE Samaria

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-reveals-writers-penned-landmark-inscriptions.html

Earliest Mosaic in the World Found in Turkey

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/.premium.MAGAZINE-earliest-mosaic-in-the-world-found-in-turkey-1.8435728

King Solomon’s Mines found

https://www.jpost.com/Opinion/King-Solomons-Mines-found-615234

Vitrified Brain Tissue Discovered in Victim from Herculaneum

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8379-200124-herculaneum-brain-glass

*Egyptology*

Voice of a 3,000-year-old Egyptian mummy reproduced by 3-D printing a vocal
tract

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/world/egyptian-mummy-voice-from-the-dead-scn/index.html

*General Science*

A wearable gas sensor for health and environmental monitoring

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/ps-awg011620.php

A new stretchable battery can power wearable electronics
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/ssoe-ans012320.php

A new twist on quantum communication in fiber

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-01/uotw-ant012120.php

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

An ex-Navy SEAL and Harvard doc is now the first Korean-American headed to
space

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/14/world/first-korean-american-astronaut-jonny-kim-trnd-scn/index.html?utm_term=link&utm_source=fbCNN&utm_content=2020-01-19T05%3A31%3A05&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR23o081PEnvhiUBjnbW3r247GFQ9bU8ntioMxrF5t-GuIXctQrZgTdOih8

A burst of gravitational waves hit our planet. Astronomers have no clue
where it’s from.

https://www.livescience.com/mysterious-gravitational-burst.html?utm_source=notification

ESA opens oxygen plant, making air out of moondust

https://phys.org/news/2020-01-esa-oxygen-air-moondust.html?fbclid=IwAR3enznXBTtSm0a9XY51UHTVSuxKA0JngeNpKFONXDak1JvuN8p3EOQBA30
<https://phys.org/news/2020-01-esa-oxygen-air-moondust.html?fbclid=IwAR3enznXBTtSm0a9XY51UHTVSuxKA0JngeNpKFONXDak1JVuN8p3EOQBA30>

China releases huge batch of amazing Chang’e-4 images from moon’s far side

https://www.space.com/china-moon-far-side-lander-rover-photos-14th
-lunar-day.html

Meet the women and men going to Mars! Thirteen new astronauts join NASA
under the Artemis program, making them candidates for the first human
exploration of the Red Planet set for the mid-2030s

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-7874779/A-group-new-astronauts-join-NASA-Artemis-program-step-Mars.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Submarine Hobbyists Help Researchers On Montana’s Flathead Lake

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/02/755571204/submarine-hobbyists-help-researchers-on-montanas-flathead-lake?sc=tw

‘You Need To Act Now’: Meet 4 Girls Working To Save The Warming World

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/19/797298179/you-need-to-act-now-meet-4-girls-working-to-save-the-warming-world?sc=18&f=1001

Virginia Tech theater project helps people visualize flood scenarios

https://www.preventionweb.net/news/view/69999?&a=email&utm_source=pw_email

Rolls-Royce factory plan puts nuclear reactors on mini scale

https://techxplore.com/news/2020-01-rolls-royce-factory-nuclear-reactors-mini.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Platypuses at risk of extinction due to Australia's devastating drought
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/australia-fires-platypuses-at-risk-of-extinction-due-to-australias-devastating-drought/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=80950024&fbclid=IwAR3lXrHf9LkMk06mj_fOksX6JthfZr7eO95uP1UZf-EK7XRMdeFc0FrY1pw
*Other*

Wealth gap widening for more than 70% of global population, researchers find

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/jan/22/wealth-gap-widening-for-more-than-70-per-cent-of-global-population-researchers-find

Doomsday Clock moves closest to midnight in 73-year history

https://apnews.com/ca6b6682d44b3af1865ed2abe189aa0c

Additional Informational

SPLC: On Auschwitz Anniversary, 'We Must Learn From History'
https://www.splcenter.org/news/2020/01/23/splc-auschwitz-anniversary-we-must-learn-history