[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 3-6-20

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 8 10:50:57 PDT 2020

*Weekly Science Report*

*March 6, 2020*

*“Time’s always moving on. Nothing can stop it. The question is whether we
use our time well or not. We can't do anything about the past, but what
happens in the future depends on what we do now. We can create a happier
future by remembering that in being human we are all the same.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Fire from the Sky

https://www.news.ucsb.edu/2020/019823/fire-sky?fbclid=IwAR1iAZUR1XQOjh2BXpSk_l79b8SNb7dKmB1wR2SHk_WcH_wcjjbqQalEAo0

More humans than thought survived volcanic super-eruption 74,000 years ago,
scientists find

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/volcano-super-eruption-toba-sumatra-indonesia-survive-asia-a9359231.html?fbclid=IwAR3MKJukQl1rDZKF8cGmxcJ07XBJtqSdmjHcafR1rzeKXQKgGxAccF2WgZY

Ancient DNA from Sardinia reveals 6,000 years of genetic history

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-ancient-dna-sardinia-reveals-years.html

Gov’t Gives Up Part of Prehistoric Cave Painting Site For Mining

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2020/03/05/govt-gives-up-part-of-prehistoric-cave-painting-site-for-mining/

Stone Age Seafood-Based Diet Was Full Of Toxic Metals

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbressan/2020/02/29/stone-age-seafood-based-diet-was-full-of-toxic-metals/#30460df644a0

Stone Tools Recovered from Cave in West India

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8508-200306-india-prehistoric-tools

Homo erectus Fossils and Tools Unearthed in Ethiopia

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8505-200305-ethiopia-homo-erectus

Your back pain may be due to evolution and spine shape

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/sfu-ybp030420.php

215-Million-Year-Old, Sharp-Nosed Sea Creature Was Among the Last of Its
Kind

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/215-million-year-old-sharp-nosed-marine-reptile-was-among-last-its-kind-180974276/

*History*

Reading a Lost Wartime Letter from Albert Camus in 2020

https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-comment/reading-a-lost-wartime-letter-from-albert-camus-in-2020/amp?fbclid=IwAR1QCsjOHSDldoHGnyXlJTMEEdQNvF-GSlCKC_GSJd3ZL6jpXdN6sKezuAE

How A Graphic Novel Resurrected A Forgotten Chapter In American History

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2020/02/26/806124981/how-a-graphic-novel-resurrected-a-forgotten-chapter-in-american-history

Father Ernesto Cardenal, poet and revolutionary, dies in Nicaragua

https://www.americamagazine.org/politics-society/2020/03/02/father-ernesto-cardenal-poet-and-revolutionary-dies-nicaragua

Vatican Opens Archives Of World War II-Era Pope Pius XII

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/02/811170588/vatican-opens-archives-of-world-war-ii-era-pope-pius-xii?sc=18&f=1001

Parts of Florida Highway Honoring the Confederacy Will Be Renamed in Honor
of Harriet Tubman

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/florida-highway-honoring-confederacy-renamed-pay-tribute-harriet-tubman-180974269/

Meet Sgt. Maj. James Williams, one of the last Buffalo Soldier alive today

https://www.click2houston.com/features/2020/02/18/meet-sgt-maj-james-williams-the-last-buffalo-soldier-alive-today/

A Father Recounts His Search For The Son Who Vanished In Costa Rican
Wilderness

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/03/811397071/a-father-recounts-his-search-for-the-son-who-vanished-in-costa-rican-wilderness?sc=18&f=811397071

Researchers want to save traditional pre-Hispanic ballgame

https://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/researchers-want-to-save-traditional-pre-hispanic-ballgame/

*Archaeology*

‘Utah’s cultural heritage is under threat’: Archeologists seek solutions as
vandalism grows

https://www.ksl.com/article/46721796/utahs-cultural-heritage-is-under-threat-archeologists-seek-solutions-as-vandalism-grows?fbclid=IwAR0dQG3epX37K6W8P2CIuE6LCtYjaYs1sDoXB3rFWqg42iUDf3c2tPYtIVg

Mysterious, centuries-old rock inscription finally deciphered

https://www.livescience.com/mystery-inscription-translated.html?fbclid=IwAR3YESln9Z9Bgg9QBjsR22Ovj7UkBe3Iv46MRxBtHOJUc_5w8Jt4DX-lXH0

This Pipeline Case Could Gut 100 Years of Safeguards for Federal Parks

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/03/pipeline-safeguards-federal-parks-118941?fbclid=IwAR1Nm8gTMpTdh_j4ibh8t5QamijE9sVWAG1jwTTrhEigx0ZIvSN00gZm_RU

Illegal metal-detecting at English Heritage sites doubles in two years

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/feb/28/illegal-metal-detecting-at-english-heritage-sites-doubles-in-two-years

Islamic-Era Ivory Workshops Found in Pakistan
https://www.archaeology.org/news/8506-200306-pakistan-ivory-workshops
*Egyptology*

Egyptian authorities foil attempt to smuggle 16 parcels filled with artefact

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/364544/Egypt/Politics-/Egyptian-authorities-foil-attempt-to-smuggle--parc.aspx

*General Science*

Nothing to report

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

This astronomy student found 17 new exoplanets -- and one is potentially
habitable

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/28/world/astronomy-student-new-exoplanets-scn-trnd/index.html?utm_source=fbCNN&utm_term=link&utm_content=2020-02-29T01%3A29%3A31&utm_medium=social

Curiosity rover captures high-resolution panorama of its home on Mars

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/04/world/curiosity-rover-panorama-mars-scn-trnd/index.html

Pioneering theoretical physicist Freeman Dyson dies at 96

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/pioneering-theoretical-physicist-freeman-dyson-dies-at-96

Quantum researchers able to split one photon into three

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-quantum-photon.html

New 'mini-moon' orbiting Earth — for now, astronomers say

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/new-mini-moon-orbiting-earth-now-astronomers-say-n1143596?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

New ESO study evaluates impact of satellite constellations on astronomical
observations

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/e-nes030520.php

Radar and ice could help detect an elusive subatomic particle

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/osu-rai030620.php

SpaceX announces partnership to send tourists to ISS

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-spacex-partnership-tourists-iss.html

Dimming Betelgeuse likely isn't cold, just dusty, new study shows

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-dimming-betelgeuse-isnt-cold-dusty.html

Novel method for easier scaling of quantum devices

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-method-easier-scaling-quantum-devices.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Judge voids nearly 1 million acres of oil and gas leases, saying Trump
policy undercut public input

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/02/27/judge-voids-nearly-1-million-acres-oil-gas-leases-saying-trump-policy-undercut-public-input/

Layered solar cell technology boosts efficiency, affordability

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uoca-lsc030520.php

Satellite data boosts understanding of climate change's effects on kelp

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/osu-sdb030520.php

Corn productivity in real time: Satellites, field cameras, and farmers team
up

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uoic-cpi030520.php

FSU researchers find newly uncovered Arctic landscape plays important role
in carbon cycle

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/fsu-frf030520.php

World-first system forecasts warming of lakes globally

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-world-first-lakes-globally.html

More accurate climate change model reveals bleaker outlook on electricity,
water use

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-accurate-climate-reveals-bleaker-outlook.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

Scientists accidentally discover first-ever "animal" that doesn't need
oxygen to breathe

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/scientists-discover-first-ever-animal-that-doesnt-need-oxygen-to-breathe-2020-02-26/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab6a&linkId=83303560

In A 1st, Scientists Use Revolutionary Gene-Editing Tool To Edit Inside A
Patient

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/04/811461486/in-a-1st-scientists-use-revolutionary-gene-editing-tool-to-edit-inside-a-patient

Italy’s Museums Reopen With Coronavirus Rule: Stay a Meter Apart

*https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/arts/design/italy-museums-coronavirus.html
<https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/05/arts/design/italy-museums-coronavirus.html>*

Pandemic lessons from the colony of Newfoundland in a time of cholera

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/newfoundland-coronavirus-cholera-1.5478056

New sleep method strengthens brain's ability to retain memories

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/afot-nsm030520.php

One step closer to understanding the human brain

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/ki-osc030320.php

Machine sucks up tiny tissue spheroids and prints them precisely

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/ps-msu022720.php

The Northern White Rhino Went Extinct, but for Two Minutes at a Time, the
Animal Makes a Digital Comeback

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian-institution/northern-white-rhino-extinct-two-minutes-digital-comback-180974295/

*Other*

*Inequality is getting worse, but fewer people than ever are aware of it*

https://theconversation.com/inequality-is-getting-worse-but-fewer-people-than-ever-are-aware-of-it-76642?utm_campaign=meetedgar&utm_medium=social&utm_source=meetedgar.com

In Naples, Faith Substitutes for What Science Can’t Foresee

https://www.wired.com/story/naples-religion-science-volcanoes/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_content=A&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_022920_PersonalizedTest&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list2_p5

Additional Informational

He Built Schools to Fight Injustice, and I Want You to Know His Story

https://www.npca.org/articles/2167-he-built-schools-to-fight-injustice-and-i-want-you-to-know-his-story

UNESCO, Futures of Education

https://en.unesco.org/futuresofeducation/

New York Times Magazine, 1619 Project