[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 3-27-20

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:40:38 PDT 2020

*Weekly Science Report*

*March 27, 2020*

*“Time’s always moving on. Nothing can stop it. The question is whether we
use our time well or not. We can't do anything about the past, but what
happens in the future depends on what we do now. We can create a happier
future by remembering that in being human we are all the same.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

German archaeologists unearth massive mammoth tusk

https://www.dw.com/en/german-archaeologists-unearth-massive-mammoth-tusk/a-52947985

Study Suggests Neanderthals Regularly Enjoyed Sea Food

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8555-200330-neanderthal-marine-foods

New Guinea Artifacts Point to Neolithic Culture

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8553-200327-neolithic-new-guinea

How Did Dinosaurs Mate?

https://www.discovermagazine.com/planet-earth/how-did-dinosaurs-mate

Water pressure: Ancient aquatic crocs evolved, enlarged to avoid freezing

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uon-wpa033020.php

Research identifies regular climbing behavior in a human ancestor

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uok-rir032720.php

Why It’s So Difficult to Find Earth’s Earliest Life

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/earth-earliest-life-fossils-stromatolites-180974442/

*History*

Pope Francis recognizes the martyrdom of Jesuit Rutilio Grande and two lay
companions in El Salvador

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2020/02/22/pope-francis-recognizes-martyrdom-jesuit-rutilio-grande-and-two-lay-companions-el

'National Emergency Library' Lends A Hand — And Lots Of Books! — During
Pandemic

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/03/26/821925073/national-emergency-library-lends-a-hand-and-lots-of-books-during-pandemic?sc=18&f=1001

'Black Patriots' Were Heroes Of The Revolution — But Not The History Books

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/16/806006560/black-patriots-were-heroes-of-the-revolution-but-not-the-history-books?utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr

Study Finds Century-Old Combat Helmet Is A Superior Shield Against Brain
Trauma

https://www.npr.org/2020/02/21/808333569/study-finds-century-old-combat-helmet-superior-shield-against-brain-trauma?sc=18&f=1001

Tree rings could pin down Thera volcano eruption date

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-tree-pin-thera-volcano-eruption.html

The Forgotten American Explorer Who Discovered Huge Parts of Antarctica

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/charles-wilkes-antarctica-explorer-180974432/

*Archaeology*

'We can't let these things go': Tribes work to protect artifacts

https://missoulian.com/news/local/we-can-t-let-these-things-go-tribes-work-to/article_67a95d98-5a7f-562e-b137-f5ad63f352c2.html?utm_content=buffer423a5&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

In Blackbeard Pirate Ship Case, Supreme Court Scuttles Copyright Claims

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/24/820381016/in-blackbeard-pirate-ship-case-supreme-court-scuttles-copyright-claims?sc=18&f=1001

Archaeologists discover lost city that may have conquered the kingdom of
Midas

https://phys.org/news/2020-02-archaeologists-lost-city-conquered-kingdom.html

Scientists are leading Notre Dame’s restoration—and probing mysteries laid
bare by its devastating fire

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/scientists-are-leading-notre-dame-s-restoration-and-probing-mysteries-laid-bare-its?utm_campaign=SciMag&utm_source=JHubbard&utm_medium=Facebook

Ancient cultic area for warrior-god uncovered in Iraq
https://www.livescience.com/girsu-cult-discovered.html

3,400-year-old Mesoamerican ball court sheds light on origins of the game

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/03/3400-year-old-mesoamerican-ball-court-sheds-light-on-origins-of-the-game/

A street food vendor's tip led archaeologists to find an ancient Maya
capital in a cattle rancher's yard

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/world/maya-capital-found-scn-trnd/index.html

Well-engineered 'watercourts' stored live fish, fueling Florida's Calusa
kingdom

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/fmon-ws033020.php

*Egyptology*

The passport of Ramesses II

https://www.heritagedaily.com/2020/03/the-passport-of-ramesses-ii/126812

*General Science*

Nothing to report

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*   Daredevil 'Mad' Mike Hughes dies in
homemade rocket launch filmed for TV

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/daredevil-mad-mike-hughes-dies-homemade-rocket-launch-filmed-tv-n1141286

How better propulsion systems can help improve space exploration

https://engineering.stanford.edu/magazine/article/how-better-propulsion-systems-can-help-improve-space-exploration

Unlike Earth, Maybe Mars Didn’t Form With a Subsurface Magma Ocean

https://www.discovermagazine.com/the-sciences/unlike-earth-maybe-mars-didnt-form-with-a-subsurface-magma-ocean

Argonne and CERN weigh in on the origin of heavy elements

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/dnl-aac033020.php

A Martian mash up: Meteorites tell story of Mars' water history

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uoa-amm032520.php

Astronaut urine to build moon bases

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/f-sf-aut032720.php

A Martian mash up: Meteorites tell story of Mars' water history

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-martian-mash-meteorites-story-mars.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

New explanation for sudden heat collapses in plasmas can help create fusion
energy

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/dppl-nef033020.php

Air pollution linked to dementia and cardiovascular disease

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-air-pollution-linked-dementia-cardiovascular.html

Shrinking Ozone Hole, Climate Change Are Causing Atmospheric “Tug of War”

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/shrinking-ozone-hole-climate-change-are-causing-atmospheric-tug-of-war/

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*   Artificial intelligence can
speed up the detection of stroke
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/uot-aic033020.php

Blood test accurately detects over 50 types of cancer, often before
symptoms show

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-03/esfm-bta032720.php

'Living drug factories' might treat diabetes and other diseases

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-drug-factories-diabetes-diseases.html

Researchers discover potential boost to immunotherapy

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-potential-boost-immunotherapy.html

*Other*

Who Feeds Fiona? Cincinnati Zookeepers Make Sure There Are No Hungry Hippos

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/28/821981795/who-feeds-fiona-cincinnati-zookeepers-make-sure-there-are-no-hungry-hippos?sc=18&f=1001

*Why some Americans don’t trust the census*

https://theconversation.com/why-some-americans-dont-trust-the-census-130109

Additional Informational

The Nazca Great Circle Map Hypothesis

https://grahamhancock.com/maglionegrimason1/