[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 5-15-20

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun May 17 20:16:31 PDT 2020

*Weekly Science Report*

*May 15, 2020*

*"I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms
until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and
equal."*

Abraham Lincoln

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Our species might have reached Europe earlier than thought

https://apnews.com/f792eda2388a30e43faf9661c37f64d9?utm_medium=AP&utm_source=Facebook&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

A study highlights the African affinities of the southwestern European
Acheulean

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-highlights-african-affinities-southwestern-european.html

Neanderthal Leathermaking Tools Analyzed

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8692-200513-neanderthal-bone-tools

Ancient Hunter-Gatherers’ Footprints Preserved in Tanzania

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8698-200515-tanzania-footprints-trackway

New Thoughts on Turkey’s Oldest Temple Complex

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8696-200514-turkey-goebekli-tepe

Early humans thrived in this drowned South African landscape

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/uoc--eht051520.php

A lost world and extinct ecosystem

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/asu-alw051420.php

*History*

Little Richard, The 'King And Queen' Of Rock And Roll, Dead At 87

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/09/523627004/little-richard-obituary?sc=18&f=1001

This 16th-century corsair was the most feared pirate of the Mediterranean

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/magazine/2015/06-07/barbarossa-pirate/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=twitter::cmp=editorial::add=tw20200503hist-resurfbarbarossapirate::rid=&sf233496622=1

Museum of Covid-19: the story of the crisis told through everyday objects

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/may/04/museum-covid-19-v-and-a-pandemic-coronavirus-objects?CMP=share_btn_tw

*Postwar forced resettlement of Germans echoes through the decades*

https://theconversation.com/postwar-forced-resettlement-of-germans-echoes-through-the-decades-137219

*Archaeology shows how ancient African societies managed pandemics*

https://theconversation.com/archaeology-shows-how-ancient-african-societies-managed-pandemics-138217

Cahokia's rise parallels onset of corn agriculture

https://news.illinois.edu/view/6367/808689

*Archaeology*

Dozens of prehistoric, Roman and medieval sites discovered by archaeology
volunteers working at home during lockdown

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-dozens-prehistoric-roman-medieval-sites.html

Animals Roam Free In Petra Heritage Site Under Jordan's COVID-19 Lockdown

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/07/851853448/animals-roam-free-in-petra-heritage-site-under-jordans-covid-19-lockdown?sc=18&f=1001

Rediscovering a path to the Milky Way through archaeology

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-rediscovering-path-milky-archaeology.html

Amazing astronomical discoveries from ancient Greece

https://www.livescience.com/astronomical-discoveries-ancient-greece.html?fbclid=IwAR1XHyycqeFhSBk0zDIDjxoT1UyESHTWRCxeyyQjdFLOdQNlf4wesc-j3xc
  International archaeological team ready to discover secrets of AlUla
https://www.arabnews.com/node/1675136/saudi-arabia   The treasures of
Tadipatri
https://www.thehindu.com/society/history-and-culture/the-treasures-of-tadipatri/article31580660.ece

Boa Bones Identified at Caribbean Archaeological Sites

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8699-200515-caribbean-boa-constrictors

Study Dates Hilltop Settlement in Scotland

https://www.archaeology.org/news/8697-200515-scotland-pictish-settlement

*Egyptology*

Ancient Egyptian 'funeral home' was one-stop shop for the afterlife

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/05/ancient-egyptian-funeral-home-one-stop-shop-afterlife/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=twitter::cmp=editorial::add=tw20200504hist-egyptianfuneralhome::rid=&sf233515562=1

Embalming secrets of ancient Egypt revealed

http://us.cnn.com/style/article/ancient-egypt-embalming-secrets-scli-intl/index.html

*General Science*

A soft touch for robotic hardware

*https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/uot-ast050720.php
<https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/uot-ast050720.php>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Newfound black hole is the closest one to Earth we've ever found

https://www.space.com/closest-black-hole-to-earth-discovery.html?utm_source=notification

Renowned string theorist proposes new way to hunt our solar system's
mysterious 'Planet 9'

https://www.livescience.com/planet-9-laser-breakthrough-starshot-ed-witten.html?utm_source=notification

Massive piece of Chinese space junk slams uncontrolled into Earth's
atmosphere

https://www.space.com/long-march-chinese-rocket-uncontrolled-crash.html?utm_source=notification

The north magnetic pole is leaving Canada for Siberia. These 'blobs' may be
the reason why.

https://www.livescience.com/magnetic-north-pole-to-siberia.html?utm_source=notification

Space Force drops first recruitment video: "Maybe your purpose on this
planet isn't on this planet"

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/space-force-recruitment-video-first-planet/

In 1110, The Moon Vanished From The Sky. We Might Finally Know What Caused
It

https://www.sciencealert.com/mysterious-forgotten-volcanic-eruptions-in-history-revealed-by-dark-lunar-eclipse

Secret Space Plane is carrying a Solar Experiment

https://www.wired.com/story/a-secret-space-plane-is-carrying-a-solar-experiment-to-orbit/?bxid=5bd6790424c17c1048020acb&cndid=41291302&esrc=twitter-newsletter-c&source=EDT_WIR_NEWSLETTER_0_DAILY_ZZ&utm_brand=wired&utm_campaign=aud-dev&utm_mailing=WIR_Daily_051420&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nl&utm_term=list1_p1

Researchers reveal common origin of fermi bubbles and galactic center x-ray
outflows

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/caos-rrc051420.php

US successfully launches unmanned reusable drone for space experiments

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-successfully-unmanned-reusable-drone-space.html

Mauna Kea has had more than a million deep long-period earthquakes over the
past 20 years

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-mauna-kea-million-deep-long-period.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

For young people, two defining events: COVID-19 and climate change

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/gen-z-pandemic-will-define-formative-years-coronavirus-climate-change/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=twitter::cmp=editorial::add=tw20200501science-genzcoronavirus::rid=&sf233427910=1

Native nonprofit expands Minnesota farm, aims to scale up crop production
amid pandemic

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/05/03/native-nonprofit-expands-minnesota-farm?fbclid=IwAR17p-ZnlS-zgb_UlH6efpHeCkgGcZigjcF2U7R2Puv7tUIvTtOrcO-CgWw

Commercial airliners monitoring CO2 emissions from cities worldwide

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/nife-cam051220.php

Big data and synthetic chemistry could fight climate change and pollution

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/uosc-bda051420.php

Modern sea-level rise linked to human activities, Rutgers research reaffirms

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/ru-msr051120.php

Global cooling event 4,200 years ago spurred rice's evolution, spread
across Asia

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-global-cooling-event-years-spurred.html

New Tesla battery poised to reshape auto economics

https://techxplore.com/news/2020-05-tesla-battery-poised-reshape-auto.html

Ocean 'breathability' key to past, future habitat of West Coast marine
species

https://phys.org/news/2020-05-ocean-breathability-key-future-habitat.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

The Chinese paddlefish, one of world's largest fish, has gone extinct

https://api.nationalgeographic.com/distribution/public/amp/animals/2020/01/chinese-paddlefish-one-of-largest-fish-extinct

Commercial whaling may be over in Iceland

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/commercial-whaling-may-be-over-iceland/?cmpid=org=ngp::mc=social::src=twitter::cmp=editorial::add=tw20200502science-whalingiceland::rid=&sf233486192=1

Bizarre new species discovered... on Twitter

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/uoc-bns051520.php

UHN-U of T-led study shows antiviral drug can speed up recovery of COVID-19
patient https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/uhn-u-u051420.php

Controlling cells with light

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-05/fj-ccw051520.php

*Other*

Nothing to report

Additional Informational

Heritage, Memory and Conflict Journal (HMC)

https://ijhmc.arphahub.com/

An attack on heritage is an attack on the soul: Historian Dan Snow

https://www.icrc.org/en/document/attack-heritage-attack-soul-says-historian-visit-icrc

International repatriation of human remains of indigenous peoples

https://icom.museum/en/news/international-repatriation-of-human-remains-of-indigenous-peoples/

Archaeology Magazine Open Archive

https://www.nxtbook.com/projects/archaeology/index.php