[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 9-11-20

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 12:52:41 PDT 2020

*Weekly Science Report*

*September 11, 2020*

*“Years ago, anthropologist Margaret Mead was asked by a student what she
considered to be the first sign of civilization in a culture.  The student
expected Mead to talk about fishhooks or clay pots or grinding stones.  But
no, Mead said that the first sign of civilization in an ancient culture was
a femur (thighbone) that had been broken and then healed.  Mead explained
that in the animal kingdom, if you break your leg, you die.  You cannot run
from danger, get to the river for a drink or hunt for food.  You are meat
for prowling beasts.  No animal survives a broken leg long enough for the
bone to heal.  A broken femur that has healed is evidence that someone has
taken time to stay with the one who fell, has bound up the wound, has
carried the person to safety and has tended the person through recovery.
Helping someone else through difficulty is where civilization starts, Mead
said.  We are at our best when we serve others.  Be civilized.”*

Ira Byock

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and the late John Anthony West to share news and information on various
disciplines to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences,
genetics and archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has
always been very simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a
better place.  This publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring
people together and share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

The Weekly Science Report is also on social media at:

   - Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/weeklysciencerpt/
   - Twitter: https://twitter.com/wklysciencerpt

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Fingerprints help identify age and sex of prehistoric painters in southern
Spain

https://www.theartnewspaper.com/news/fingerprints-help-identify-prehistoric-painters

Researchers reveal a much richer picture of the past with new DNA recovery
technique

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-reveal-richer-picture-dna-recovery.html

*When did we become fully human? What fossils and DNA tell us about the
evolution of modern intelligence*
https://theconversation.com/when-did-we-become-fully-human-what-fossils-and-dna-tell-us-about-the-evolution-of-modern-intelligence-143717

The temporal lobes of Homo erectus were proportionally smaller than in H.
sapiens

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-temporal-lobes-homo-erectus-proportionally.html

Paleolithic Dogs Found in Caves in Southern Italy

https://www.archaeology.org/news/9021-200911-italy-paleolithic-dogs

*History*

The Case Thurgood Marshall Never Forgot

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/case-thurgood-marshall-never-forgot-180964637/?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=socialmedia&fbclid=IwAR1PHTedSayWHhYJ9PiW6TUHo-ufvaBFQzpMRUXDolEnjSbnAnYava9qjsQ

Duch, Prison Chief Who Slaughtered for the Khmer Rouge, Dies at 77

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/01/world/asia/duch-kaing-guek-eav-dead.html?s=09#click=https://t.co/Li5ITdsIw2

‘Away from Home’ exhibit tells story of federal boarding schools for Indian
children

https://amp.kansas.com/entertainment/article245272320.html?__twitter_impression=true&s=09

'The Quiet Americans' Examines Tragic Miscalculations In The CIA's
Formative Years

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/01/908267554/the-quiet-americans-examines-tragic-miscalculations-in-the-cia-s-formative-years?sc=18&f=1001

A deep dive into the secret archives of Pope Pius XII

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2020/09/02/secret-archives-pope-pius-xii-vatican-catholic

Russia’s peasant history, once submerged, is brought back into the light

https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Making-a-difference/2020/0821/Russia-s-peasant-history-once-submerged-is-brought-back-into-the-light?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&cmpid=FB&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1598093297

Nazi-Occupied Norway Offers a Glimpse of What Hitler Wanted for the Entire
World

https://time.com/5885434/nazi-norway-history/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_term=history_opinion&linkId=99402445

New Research Sheds Light on Fraction Signs of Still Undeciphered Minoan
Linear A Script

http://www.sci-news.com/archaeology/fraction-signs-minoan-linear-a-script-08835.html

Study confirms widespread literacy in biblical-period kingdom of Judah

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-widespread-literacy-biblical-period-kingdom-judah.html

Hokusai: More than 100 lost works by non-western world’s most famous artist
rediscovered

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/archaeology/hokusai-lost-artwork-found-paris-british-museum-b404960.html

Lactose tolerance spread throughout Europe in only a few thousand years

https://www.uni-mainz.de/presse/aktuell/12031_ENG_HTML.php

Severe Cyclones May Have Played a Role in the Maya Collapse

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/severe-cyclones-may-have-played-role-maya-collapse-180975717/

*Archaeology*

Uncovering the acoustical properties of Stonehenge

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-uncovering-acoustical-properties-stonehenge.html?fbclid=IwAR0zm1-ugXJUF_kpevRzsxy9ULqZqJZLi6V8FF3F6ILVCqwno75d3lH0doM

New dating of Nebra sky disk

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-dating-nebra-sky-disk.html

Sacred lands must be preserved, not bombed

https://indiancountrytoday.com/opinion/sacred-lands-must-be-preserved-not-bombed-RpVHCSy-H0SdjaFbCNcPhQ

Bones found on a property tied to Obama, causing tension with Native
Hawaiians

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/08/15/hawaii-news/bones-found-on-a-property-tied-to-obama-causing-tension-with-native-hawaiians/

The mystery of Central Asia’s desert kites

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20200907-the-mystery-of-central-asias-desert-kites?ocid=fbtvl

5,000-year-old tomb on Orkney designed to 'ease passage to afterlife',
research finds

https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/5000-year-old-tomb-orkney-designed-ease-passage-afterlife-research-finds-2964197

Sudan floods threaten ancient archaeological site, experts say

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/09/sudan-floods-threaten-ancient-archaeological-site-experts-200908095137475.html

2,200-year-old Chinese text may be oldest surviving anatomical atlas

https://www.livescience.com/oldest-known-human-atlas-china.html

Wreckage of German World War II battleship found off Norway

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/wreckage-karlsruhe-german-world-war-ii-warship-found-norway/

Ancient hillfort 'built by the mysterious Votadini tribe' and dating back
up to 3,000 years is discovered near the top of Arthur's Seat by
archaeologists

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8705719/Archaeology-Hillfort-dating-3-000-years-discovered-near-Arthurs-Seat.html

Commander's Orders

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/394-2009/digs/8926-digs-england-vindolanda-masclus-tablet

The Means of Production

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/394-2009/digs/8925-digs-mexico-copper-smelting

Siberian Island Enigma

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/394-2009/digs/8931-digs-siberia-por-bajin

Ancient earthquake may have caused destruction of Canaanite palace at Tel
Kabri

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/gwu-aem091120.php

Long-Awaited Update Arrives for Radiocarbon Dating

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/long-awaited-update-arrives-for-radiocarbon-dating/

*Egyptology*

Trove of 2,500-Year-Old Sealed Coffins Unearthed in Egypt

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/trove-2500-year-old-human-coffins-unearthed-egypt-180975755/

Closing in on a Pharaoh's Tomb

https://www.archaeology.org/issues/394-2009/digs/8929-digs-egypt-deir-el-bahari

3,200-year-old Egyptian-built fortress found in Israel

https://www.livescience.com/ancient-egyptian-philistine-fortress-discovered.html

*General Science*

Google’s Quantum Computer Achieves Chemistry Milestone

*https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/googles-quantum-computer-achieves-chemistry-milestone/
<https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/googles-quantum-computer-achieves-chemistry-milestone/>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Ancient meteorites suggest Earth's oceans didn't come from space, but were
already here

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/ancient-meteorites-suggest-earth-s-oceans-didn-t-come-space-n1238462?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma&fbclid=IwAR1GDq2ziKhT8VZ1MDjEmSG6km_Az9y09VmvT4OQd216G3DLf_famVuUUs4

There's a second impact crater under Greenland

https://astronomy.com/news/2019/02/theres-a-second-impact-crater-under-greenland?utm_source=asyfb&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=asyfb&fbclid=IwAR2OLimoL9rqQf-VFo8nRH-lTIbB0JaMfCnhYsrx9qKbtVjkYIeskhOLe-4

Breakthrough narrows intelligent life search in Milky Way

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-breakthrough-narrows-intelligent-life-milky.amp

'Biggest bang since the Big Bang': Scientists detect collision of huge
black holes

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/space/biggest-bang-big-bang-scientists-detect-collision-huge-black-holes-rcna106

Gravity, Gizmos, and a Grand Theory of Interstellar Travel

https://www.wired.com/story/mach-effect-thrusters-interstellar-travel/

Volcanic ash may have a bigger impact on the climate than we thought

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/uoca-vam091020.php

China says Mars probe stable; no word on reusable spacecraft

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-china-mars-probe-stable-word.html

Carbon-rich exoplanets may be made of diamonds

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/asu-cem091120.php

Galactic census reveals origin of most 'extreme' galaxies

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-galactic-census-reveals-extreme-galaxies.html

How Cold War Politics Shaped the International Space Station

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/how-cold-war-politics-shaped-international-space-station-180975743/

SpaceX’s Dark Satellites Are Still Too Bright for Astronomers

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/spacexs-dark-satellites-are-still-too-bright-for-astronomers/

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Oklahoma seeks continued authority to oversee environmental programs in
state's Indian territories

https://oklahoman.com/article/5667451/oklahoma-seeks-continued-authority-to-oversee-environmental-programs-in-states-indian-territories

Industrial waste can turn planet-warming carbon dioxide into stone

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/09/industrial-waste-can-turn-planet-warming-carbon-dioxide-stone

New mathematical method shows how climate change led to fall of ancient
civilization

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-mathematical-method-climate-fall-ancient.html

Global warming threatens soil phosphorus, says a soil scientist from RUDN
University

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/ru-gwt091120.php

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*   UNC researchers publish
striking images of SARS-CoV-2 infected cells
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/uonc-urp091020.php   CityU
develops anti-bacterial graphene face masks
https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/cuoh-cda091020.php

Researchers reveal safeguarding of key DNA sensor in innate immune system

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/uonc-rrs091020.php

Novel discovery challenges a current kidney cancer paradigm

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/hci-ndc091120.php

Is the "Mozart Effect" real? New analysis indicates that music can help
epilepsy

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2020-09/econ-it091120.php

Significant leap forward in method for cancer treatment

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-significant-method-cancer-treatment.html

Antarctica is still free of COVID-19. Can it stay that way?

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-antarctica-free-covid-.html

Drugging the undruggable: A treatment path for muscular dystrophy

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-09-drugging-undruggable-treatment-path-muscular.html

Nine COVID-19 Myths That Just Won’t Go Away

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/nine-covid-19-myths-that-just-wont-go-away/

*Other*

How Do I Know I’m Not the Only Conscious Being in the Universe?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-i-know-im-not-the-only-conscious-being-in-the-universe/

Additional Informational

Key Governance Issues in Space Report

https://aerospace.csis.org/key-governance-issues-in-space/

DESTROYING THE SOUL OF THE YAZIDIS: Cultural Heritage Destruction During
the Islamic State’s Genocide Against the Yazidis Report

https://t.co/CBMd4fPTuE?amp=1&s=09

The oldest Neanderthal DNA of Central-Eastern Europe

https://www.mpg.de/15342301/0907-evan-019609-the-oldest-neanderthal-dna-of-central-eastern-europe

Palaeoproteomics gives new insight into early southern African pastoralism