[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 12-4-15

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:18:02 PST 2015

*Weekly Science Report*

*December 4, 2015*

*“The true meaning of Islam will not only focus on how Muslims worship but
also on who we are: mothers, fathers, spouses, students, neighbors,
friends.  People who smile with pride at their child’s first step; laugh
with friends over the old times; worry about exam results; cry at the sight
of our children in pain.  People just like you!”*

Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of the Kingdom of Jordan on being Muslim

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Lost to the sands of time: People, animals and vegetation thrived in the
Sahara 5,000 years ago thanks to an ancient river network
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3312097/Lost-sands-time-Hidden-ancient-river-network-flowed-SAHARA-revealed-satellite-images.html

A Prehistoric Murder Mystery: Earth's Worst Mass Extinctions

http://news.yahoo.com/prehistoric-murder-mystery-earths-worst-mass-extinctions-225347517.html

Hunting for DNA in Doggerland, an ancient land beneath the North Sea

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/hunting-for-dna-in-doggerland-an-ancient-land-beneath-the-north-sea/?mbid=psocial_db&source=TDB&via=FB_Page

Huge geometric shapes in Middle East may be prehistoric

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2015/12/02/huge-geometric-shapes-in-middle-east-may-be-prehistoric.html

*History*

To retain profits from Anne Frank's diary, foundation will list her father
as co-author

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-anne-frank-diary-father-co-author-20151116-story.html

Holocaust documents trove unearthed in Budapest apartment

http://news.yahoo.com/holocaust-documents-trove-unearthed-budapest-apartment-041344509.html

The amazing story of U.S. Army chaplains who ministered to Nazi leaders at
the Nuremberg trials 70 years ago today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/11/20/the-amazing-story-of-u-s-army-chaplains-who-ministered-to-nazi-leaders-at-the-nuremberg-trials-70-years-ago-today/

These iconic American leaders were once refugees

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2015/11/20/these-iconic-american-leaders-were-once-refugees/?tid=sm_fb

An army of history nerds is turning archival material into beautiful gifs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2015/11/20/an-army-of-history-nerds-is-turning-archival-material-into-beautiful-gifs/?tid=sm_fb

The story behind the first rape kit

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/20/health/rape-kit-history/index.html?sr=fbCNN112115rape-kit-history0117AMVODtopLink&linkId=18933640

Before The Body Of A Child Saint, A Mother Struggles To Forgive Her Child

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/22/456686058/before-the-body-of-a-child-saint-a-mother-struggles-to-forgive-her-child?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2048

New technique unlocks the mystery meats used to make ‘uterine vellum’ for
ancient books

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2015/11/23/new-technique-unlocks-the-mystery-meats-used-to-make-uterine-vellum-for-ancient-books/

How Nikola Tesla Predicted the Smartphone

http://time.com/4106343/smartphone-nikola-tesla/?xid=time_socialflow_facebook

Jewish Kurds hold groundbreaking Iraq commemoration

http://news.yahoo.com/jewish-kurds-hold-groundbreaking-iraq-commemoration-194156994.html

Smithsonian Libraries’ rare texts include early superstars of science

http://smithsonianscience.si.edu/2015/11/smithsonian-libraries-rare-texts-include-early-superstars-science/

Pope says fundamentalism is 'disease of all religions'

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-says-fundamentalism-disease-religions-041229589.html

Ex-Auschwitz medic, 95, fit to stand trial: German court

http://news.yahoo.com/ex-auschwitz-medic-95-fit-stand-trial-german-233410561.html

Jewish Man Reunited With Polish Big Sister Who Saved Him From Holocaust

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/jewish-man-reunited-polish-big-sister-who-saved-him-holocaust-n472236

Native American Tribe Bets On Olive Oil

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2015/11/29/456833557/native-american-tribe-bets-on-olive-oil?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2055

King tells Sephardic Jews Spain has missed them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/king-tells-sephardic-jews-spain-has-missed-them/2015/11/30/0c625192-977a-11e5-aca6-1ae3be6f06d2_story.html

Long-Hidden Details Reveal Cruelty of 1972 Munich Attackers

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/02/sports/long-hidden-details-reveal-cruelty-of-1972-munich-attackers.html?ref=sports?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

>From Gladiator Duels To Caesar's Last Words: The Myths Of Ancient Rome

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/30/457319066/from-gladiator-duels-to-caesars-last-words-the-myths-of-ancient-rome?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=2056

Late WWII US veteran is 1st soldier honored for saving Jews

http://news.yahoo.com/wwii-us-veteran-1st-soldier-070027001.html

Earliest known biography of an African woman translated to English for the
first time

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/dec/03/earliest-known-biography-of-an-african-woman-translated-to-english-for-the-first-time?CMP=share_btn_fb

*Archaeology*

Philadelphia Becomes First World Heritage City in U.S.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/philadelphia-becomes-first-world-heritage-1295168371367990.html

'Renovations Have Ruined Inscriptions in Many Temples at Kancheepuram'

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/chennai/Renovations-Have-Ruined-Inscriptions-in-Many-Temples-at-Kancheepuram/2015/11/23/article3141581.ece

Ancient Florida coped with rising seas by moving their dead, researchers
find

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/environment/article47043475.html

Priceless Looted Ancient Frescoes Returned to Italy

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/looted-frescoes-returned-italy-373109?utm_source=hootsuite

Rewriting Tel Megiddo's Violent History

http://discovermagazine.com/2015/nov/14-witness-to-armageddon

Where is Genghis Khan buried?

http://www.history.com/news/ask-history/where-is-genghis-khan-buried?cmpid=Social_FBPAGE_HISTORY_20151128_287397994&linkId=19124468

Tibet’s Secret Temple: The Long-Hidden Tantric Murals of Lukhang Palace

http://hyperallergic.com/252891/tibets-secret-temple-the-long-hidden-tantric-murals-of-lukhang-palace/?ref=featured

Biblical King's seal discovered in dump site

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/03/middleeast/king-hezekiah-royal-seal/index.html?sr=fbCNN120415king-hezekiah-royal-seal0501AMStoryLink&linkId=19294581

*Egyptology*

Experts optimistic Tut's tomb may conceal Egypt's lost queen

http://news.yahoo.com/search-egypts-lost-queen-nefertiti-focus-king-tuts-141412004.html

*General Science*

ACTUV Sea Trials Set for Early 2016

*http://science.dodlive.mil/2015/11/09/actuv-sea-trials-set-for-early-2016/
<http://science.dodlive.mil/2015/11/09/actuv-sea-trials-set-for-early-2016/>*

'Power Over Wi-Fi' named one of the year's game-changing technologies

*http://phys.org/news/2015-11-power-wi-fi-year-game-changing-technologies.html
<http://phys.org/news/2015-11-power-wi-fi-year-game-changing-technologies.html>*

Get ready for Li-Fi, a technology 100 times faster than Wi-Fi

*http://mashable.com/2015/11/25/li-fi/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-tech-link#b0E2boVWSqqQ
<http://mashable.com/2015/11/25/li-fi/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-tech-link#b0E2boVWSqqQ>*

Amazon Shows Off New Delivery Drones With 'Top Gear's' Clarkson

*http://www.popsci.com/amazon-shows-off-new-hybrid-delivery-drones-with-top-gears-clarkson
<http://www.popsci.com/amazon-shows-off-new-hybrid-delivery-drones-with-top-gears-clarkson>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Does South-East Asia need more satellites?

http://www.scidev.net/global/technology/scidev-net-at-large/south-east-asia-satellites.html

SpaceX Gets First Commercial Crew Order

http://spacenews.com/spacex-gets-first-commercial-crew-order/

World's second-largest diamond 'found in Botswana'

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-34867929

Are Musk, Bezos and Branson the Wright brothers of today? Some in Congress
think so.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/11/20/are-musk-bezos-and-branson-the-wright-brothers-of-today-some-in-congress-think-so/

NASA wants to make a C-3PO to help colonize Mars, but that may not be a
super idea

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/nasa-wants-to-make-a-c-3po-to-help-colonize-mars-but-that-may-not-be-a-super-idea/

Space tech meets aviation: The hypersonic revolution

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/11/24/aviation/spaceliner-mach-25/index.html

NASA’s released a prototype of the spacesuit astronauts will wear on Mars

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-released-a-prototype-of-the-spacesuit-astronauts-will-wear-on-mars

Could cosmic megastructures be intruders from another world?

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg22830440-300-could-cosmic-megastructures-be-intruders-from-another-world/?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2015-GLOBAL-hoot

Bizarre physics doubted by Einstein just led to the first-ever prediction
of a supernova

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/bizarre-physics-doubted-by-einstein-just-led-to-the-first-ever-prediction-of-a-supernova/ar-AAfNokh

Team finds detailed record of mysterious fast radio burst

http://phys.org/news/2015-12-team-mysterious-fast-radio.html

Who Makes the Rules for Outer Space?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/space/space-law/

Can Time Travelers Reach the Past through Wormholes?

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/can-time-travelers-reach-the-past-through-wormholes/

*LISA Pathfinder carries advanced NASA Thruster tech*

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=4779

Hawaii Supreme Court Voids Telescope Construction Permit

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/hawaii-supreme-court-voids-telescope-construction-permit-n473236?cid=sm_fb

Orphaned planet and twin Earths that 'could share life' revealed

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/04/world/extreme-solar-systems/index.html?sr=fbcnni120415extreme-solar-systems0845AMVODtopLink&linkId=19296645

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Humpback Whales solve a big problem for wind turbines

http://www.wired.com/2015/11/whales-wind-turbines/

How Africa Is Hacking Its Energy Crisis

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/laura-ling/how-africa-is-hacking-its_b_8552150.html

A ground zero forgotten

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/national/2015/11/27/a-ground-zero-forgotten/?tid=sm_fb

Another danger of climate change: Giant flying boulders?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/classic-apps/another-danger-of-climate-change-giant-flying-boulders/2015/11/27/81bdf026-9384-11e5-b5e4-279b4501e8a6_story.html?tid=sm_fb

The magic number: Holding warming under 2°C is the goal. It may already be
too late.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/classic-apps/the-magic-number-holding-warming-under-2c-is-the-goal-it-may-already-be-too-late/2015/11/28/825b3162-8a22-11e5-be8b-1ae2e4f50f76_story.html?tid-sm_fb

Picatinny Arsenal engineers cook up new recipe for biofuel

http://www.army.mil/article/159178

Bill Gates launches multi-billion dollar clean energy fund

http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/29/news/economy/bill-gates-breakthrough-energy-coalition/index.html?sr=fbCNN113015bill-gates-breakthrough-energy-coalition0520AMVODtopLink&linkId=19152549

Chinese artist creates a brick from Beijing's smog that he vacuumed

http://mashable.com/2015/12/01/beijing-smog-brick/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link#o9nNBoR6jGqz

For Israeli firm, an answer to global warming blowing in the wind

http://phys.org/news/2015-12-israeli-firm-global.html

New York Banks On a Solar Factory to Ignite Buffalo's Economy

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/01/458006877/new-york-banks-on-a-solar-factory-to-ignite-buffalo-s-economy?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=202701

Uruguay makes dramatic shift to nearly 95% electricity from clean energy

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/dec/03/uruguay-makes-dramatic-shift-to-nearly-95-clean-energy?CMP=fb_gu

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

A New Smartwatch That Detects Seizures and Emotional Stress

http://ww2.kqed.org/futureofyou/2015/06/04/a-new-smartwatch-that-detects-seizures-and-emotional-stress/

Inside the Pentagon’s biotech strike force

http://www.statnews.com/2015/11/24/darpa-biotech-infectious-disease/

New species of dolphin to B.C. waters shows up alive for the first time

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/species+dolphin+waters+shows+alive+first+time/11555363/story.html?__lsa=20ab-982d

A daughter discovers a note her mother wrote while trying to fight off
Alzheimer’s

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/a-daughter-discovers-a-note-that-her-mother-wrote-while-trying-to-fight-off-alzheimers/2015/11/09/c00aeb2a-7cbb-11e5-beba-927fd8634498_story.html?tid=sm_fb

Medical Students Crunch Big Data To Spot Health Trends

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/10/30/452853785/medical-students-crunch-big-data-to-spot-health-trends

Breakthrough brings cost of HIV treatment to under $100 per patient per year

http://www.undp.org/content/undp/en/home/presscenter/pressreleases/2015/11/27/breakthrough-brings-cost-of-hiv-treatment-to-under-100-per-patient-per-year.html

Chicken grows face of dinosaur

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150512-bird-grows-face-of-dinosaur

DNA sequence found in human gut with significant difference to any known
life form

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/geekquinox/dna-sequence-found-in-human-gut-with-significant-difference-to-any-known-life-form-161152250.html

Bye, bye, bananas

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/04/the-worlds-most-popular-banana-could-go-extinct/?tid=sm_fb

*Other*

17 trips that can change your life

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/22/travel/life-changing-trips/index.html?sr=fbCNN112915life-changing-trips0431PMStoryGalLink&linkId=19140923

Saudi Arabia to build world's tallest tower, reaching 1 kilometer into the
sky

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/30/world/meast/saudi-arabia-worlds-tallest-building-jeddah-tower/index.html?sr=fbcnni113015saudi-arabia-worlds-tallest-building-jeddah-tower1130AMStoryGalLink&linkId=19158138

Twin civilisations? How life on an exoplanet could spread to its neighbor

http://phys.org/news/2015-12-twin-civilisations-life-exoplanet-neighbour.html

Additional Informational

Inscribed Objects from Harappa Excavations 1986-2007

http://a.harappa.com/content/inscribed-objects-harappa-excavations-1986-2007

What Our Fathers Did: A Nazi Legacy

http://nazilegacy.vhx.tv/

*Star Trek Axanar: *http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar
   - Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar

Fundraising Page

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/star-trek-axanar#/story?campaign=fbads