[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 4-1-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 08:57:22 PDT 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*April 1, 2016*

*“We’re much more the same than we are different.  Every religion is after
the same thing.”*

*Morgan Freeman*

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Unicorns Were Real, and a New Fossil Shows When They Lived

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-28/newly-discovered-fossil-reveals-when-siberian-unicorns-last-roamed-the-earth

Mysterious archaic humans left clues in a surprising place

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0328/Mysterious-archaic-humans-left-clues-in-a-surprising-place

‘Hobbits’ died off earlier than we’d thought — and we may have killed them

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/03/30/hobbits-died-off-earlier-than-wed-thought-and-we-may-have-killed-them/?tid=sm_fb

Study of ancient Japanese hunter-gatherers suggests warfare not inherent in
human nature

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-ancient-japanese-hunter-gatherers-warfare-inherent.html

Caveman's best friends? Preserved Ice Age puppies awe scientists

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-caveman-friends-ice-age-puppies.html?utm_content=buffer1e826&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

305 Million-Year-Old Fossil A Glimpse Into The Origins Of Spiders

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/30/472446223/305-million-year-old-fossil-a-glimpse-into-the-origins-of-spiders?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160330

*History*

Isaac Newton's Recipe for Magical 'Philosopher's Stone' Rediscovered

http://www.livescience.com/54162-newton-recipe-for-philosophers-stone-rediscovered.html

Voyage brings Hokule‘a back to American shores

http://www.staradvertiser.com/hawaii-news/voyage-brings-hokulea-back-to-american-shores/

In Many Ways, Author Says, Spanish Civil War Was 'The First Battle Of WWII'

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/28/472135541/in-many-ways-author-says-spanish-civil-war-was-the-first-battle-of-wwii?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160328

Sea change in Turkey’s attitude towards its Byzantine heritage

http://theartnewspaper.com/news/conservation/sea-change-in-turkey-s-attitude-towards-its-byzantine-heritage-/

Auschwitz survivor urges accused to ‘tell the truth’ in likely final
Nazi trials
<http://nypost.com/2016/03/29/auschwitz-survivor-urges-accused-to-tell-the-truth-in-likely-final-nazi-trials/>

http://nypost.com/2016/03/29/auschwitz-survivor-urges-accused-to-tell-the-truth-in-likely-final-nazi-trials/

How do you fit the United Nations in a museum?

https://www.devex.com/news/how-do-you-fit-the-united-nations-in-a-museum-87758

Vanishing Languages, Reincarnated as Music

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/arts/music/vanishing-languages-reincarnated-as-music.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&smid=tw-nytimesscience&smtyp=cur&_r=1

1091 Project: The Good, The Bad, the Past Repairs

https://blogs.library.duke.edu/preservation/2013/02/15/1091-project-the-good-the-bad-the-past-repairs/

*Archaeology*

ISIS ‘Department of Artifacts’ document exposes antique loot trade via
Turkey

https://www.rt.com/news/337829-isis-artifacts-trade-turkey/?platform=hootsuite

Text in lost language may reveal god or goddess worshipped by Etruscans at
ancient temple

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-text-lost-language-reveal-god.html

Palmyra ruins generally 'in good shape': Syria antiquities chief

http://www.france24.com/en/20160327-palmyra-ruins-generally-good-shape-syria-antiquities-chief?ns_campaign=reseaux_sociaux&ns_source=twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_linkname=editorial&aef_campaign_ref=partage_aef&aef_campaign_date=2016-03-27&dlvrit=66745

Restoration of Confucius tablets complete

http://www.iol.co.za/scitech/science/discovery/restoration-of-confucius-tablets-complete-2001494

View From Space Hints at a New Viking Site in North America

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/01/science/vikings-archaeology-north-america-newfoundland.html?partner=msft_msn

Is There An Ancient Civilisation Buried Under The Amazon?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/is-there-an-ancient-civilisation-buried-under-the-155419057.html

Restoring Syria's pearl of the desert: a reason for optimism amid the storm
of terror

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/mar/26/palmyra-syria-isis-maamoun-abdelkarim?CMP=share_btn_tw

Meet St. Augustine’s Female Archaeologists Discovering Our Past

http://www.staugustinesocial.com/meet-st-augustines-female-archaeologists/

After Brussels Attacks, Italy Announces $336 Million Anti-Terror Heritage
Protection Plan

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/italy-announces-protection-plan-462554

Isis destruction of Palmyra antiquities revealed in new pictures

http://ht.ly/10cWFo

Looters, Tourism, and Racism: Controversy Surrounds 'Discovery' of Lost
City in Honduras

https://news.vice.com/article/honduras-rainforest-controversy-white-city-lost-civilization?platform=hootsuite

*Egyptology*

3,400-Year-Old Necropolis Found in Egypt

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/3400-year-old-necropolis-found-in-egypt-160330.htm?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=DNewsSocial

Oxyrhynchus, Ancient Egypt's Most Literate Trash Heap

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/oxyrhynchus-ancient-egypts-most-literate-trash-heap

Egypt's Museum of Islamic Art regains its allure after two-year restoration

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/44/198014/Heritage/Museums/Egypts-Museum-of-Islamic-Art-regains-its-allure-af.aspx

*General Science*

Meet A Tractor That Can Plow Fields And Talk To The Cloud

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2016/03/29/472129577/meet-a-tractor-that-can-plow-fields-and-talk-to-the-cloud?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160330

Testing to Start for Computer With Chips Inspired by the Human Brain

*http://www.wsj.com/articles/testing-to-start-for-computer-with-chips-inspired-by-the-human-brain-1459191601
<http://www.wsj.com/articles/testing-to-start-for-computer-with-chips-inspired-by-the-human-brain-1459191601>*

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Researcher links mass extinctions to 'Planet X'

http://phys.org/news/2016-03-links-mass-extinctions-planet.html

NASA Announces the Science Experiments That Will Ride on the Most Powerful
Rocket Ever

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/nasa-announces-the-science-experiments-that-will-ride-on-the-most-powerful-rocket-ever/

Lasers could hide Earth from deadly aliens, 2 astronomers say

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/31/tech/lasers-hide-earth-aliens-astronomers-irpt/index.html?sr=fbcnni040116lasers-hide-earth-aliens-astronomers-irpt1224AMStoryGalLink&linkId=22936036

An audacious plan to mine the surface of the moon

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/innovations/wp/2015/03/19/an-audacious-plan-to-mine-the-surface-of-the-moon/

NASA’s New Super-Fast Solar Ship May Have Just Revolutionized How We
Explore Space

http://www.defenseone.com/technology/2016/02/nasas-new-super-fast-solar-ship-may-have-just-revolutionized-how-we-explore-space/125698/?oref=DefenseOneTCO

Jeremy England, the Man Who May One-Up Darwin

http://www.ozy.com/rising-stars/the-man-who-may-one-up-darwin/39217?utm_source=NH&utm_medium=pp&utm_campaign=pp

Stuck On Earth: The U.S. Innovation Deficit

http://www.npr.org/sections/13.7/2016/03/29/472238871/stuck-on-earth-the-u-s-innovation-deficit?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160329

Our Closest View Yet of Ceres’ Bright Spots
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/03/22/closest-view-yet-ceres-bright-spots/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/03/22/closest-view-yet-ceres-bright-spots/#.VwE0PeTD_am

'Super-Earth' is super hot, NASA telescope discovers

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/30/tech/nasa-super-earth-temperatures/index.html?sr=fbCNN033116nasa-super-earth-temperatures0314AMStoryLink&linkId=22896835

Mystery object slams into Jupiter

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/30/world/object-hits-jupiter-irpt/index.html?sr=fbCNN033016object-hits-jupiter-irpt0844PMVODtopLink&linkId=22885213

What's Over The Horizon? Cartographer Traces 'Beyond the Sea'

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/31/472528736/whats-over-the-horizon-cartographer-traces-beyond-the-sea?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160331

NASA just saw something come out of a black hole for the first time ever

http://www.blastr.com/2015-11-4/nasa-just-saw-something-come-out-black-hole-first-time-ever

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Tanzania to militarise their National Parks Authority to combat poaching

https://www.the-newshub.com/environment/tanzania-to-militarise-their-national-parks-authority-to-combat-poaching

What Florida’s ancient past tells us about sea-level rise today

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/03/28/what-floridas-ancient-past-tells-us-about-sea-level-rise-today/

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

New DNA/RNA Tool to Diagnose, Treat Diseases

http://www.nasa.gov/offices/oct/feature/new-dnarna-tool-to-diagnose-treat-diseases

*Other*

20 Crucial Terms Every 21st Century Futurist Should Know
<http://io9.gizmodo.com/20-crucial-terms-every-21st-century-futurist-should-kno-1545499202>

http://io9.gizmodo.com/20-crucial-terms-every-21st-century-futurist-should-kno-1545499202

Additional Informational

*TED Talk, Printing a Human Kidney- Video*

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_printing_a_human_kidney?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=science

Inside NASA’s Planetary Defense Office Podcast

http://blog.asteroidday.org/2016/03/04/inside-nasas-planetary-defense-office/

*TED Talk, How humans could evolve to survive in space- Video*

http://www.ted.com/talks/lisa_nip_how_humans_could_evolve_to_survive_in_space?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=science

U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum, Looted Art

https://www.ushmm.org/research/research-in-collections/search-the-collections/bibliography/looted-art?utm_content=sf23418270&utm_medium=spredfast&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=US+Holocaust+Memorial+Museum

U.S. Forest Service, Mythical Wildlife Division

http://www.fs.fed.us/learn/mwd

Fundamentals of Genocide and Mass Atrocity Prevention

https://www.ushmm.org/confront-genocide/take-action-against-genocide/resources/fundamentals-of-genocide-and-mass-atrocity-prevention?mkt_tok=3RkMMJWWfF9wsRonvKXLZKXonjHpfsXx4%2BolUKCg38431UFwdcjKPmjr1YIJScd0aPyQAgobGp5I5FEJTLXYV7lvt6MMXQ%3D%3D

Rwanda Genocide: A Scream Never Heard- Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdV1mhFPWXo&feature=share

*Star Trek Axanar: *http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar
   - Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar