[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 4-8-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 16:14:06 PDT 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*April 8, 2016*

*“The City is lost, but I live.”*

Last words of Constantine XI Dragases, last Emperor of the Byzantine Empire

Introduction

I created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock and John
Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines to
include paleontology, space sciences, genetics and archaeology.  My goal
behind sharing this publication has always been very simple, by sharing
knowledge we can make our world a better place.  Since the beginning of the
internet age we have always heard of the world being drawn together but
through my investigations I’ve never found a publication like the Weekly
Science Report.  This publication is my contribution to bring people
together and share ideas and discoveries with my fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

A study of ancient Japanese bones might challenge our ideas about human
nature

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/04/01/a-study-of-ancient-japanese-bones-might-challenge-our-ideas-about-human-nature/

Scientists find no trace of Neanderthal Y-chromosomes in modern humans

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2016/0407/Scientists-find-no-trace-of-Neanderthal-Y-chromosomes-in-modern-humans

Giant Mammoth Skull Discovered by Bulldozer Operator

https://www.yahoo.com/news/giant-mammoth-skull-discovered-bulldozer-operator-134212502.html

An ancient retrovirus has been found in human DNA – and it might still be
active
http://phys.org/news/2016-04-ancient-retrovirus-human-dna.html   New models
predicting where to find fossils
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-04/uoa-nmp040716.php

Debate Erupts over Strange New Human Species

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/debate-erupts-over-strange-new-human-species/

*History*

Crow Tribe elder, historian Joe Medicine Crow dead at 102

https://www.yahoo.com/news/crow-tribe-elder-joe-medicine-crow-dead-age-222057657.html

A Muslim teacher is visiting a D.C. school to share Arabic and his culture

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/a-muslim-teacher-is-visiting-a-dc-school-to-share-arabic-and-his-culture/2016/04/04/ac97b770-f818-11e5-9804-537defcc3cf6_story.html

There’s a Place in India Where Religions Coexist Beautifully and Gender
Equality Is Unmatched

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chandran-nair/kerala-religion-gender_b_9577234.html

Ojibwe Cosmos: Mercury in Retrograde, Earthly Stardust and Intricate
Stellar Maps

https://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/04/02/ojibwe-cosmos-mercury-retrograde-earthly-stardust-and-intricate-stellar-maps-164002

How human sacrifice propped up the social order

http://www.nature.com/news/how-human-sacrifice-propped-up-the-social-order-1.19681

Roman soldiers will ride to glory once more at Hadrian’s Wall

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/09/hadrians-wall-roman-cavalry

Imam John Ederer: Stop quoting my religion's holy book out of context

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/readersforum/imam-john-ederer-stop-quoting-my-religion-s-holy-book/article_163d9500-136e-578a-98b3-f635ce33b201.html?TNNoMobile

Panama Papers Shine Light On 'Lost' Collection of Greek Shipping Tycoon

https://news.artnet.com/market/panama-papers-shine-light-onto-lost-collection-greek-shipping-tycoon-469685

Holocaust Survivor Sues German Auction House to Locate Family's Nazi Looted
Paintings

https://news.artnet.com/people/david-toren-villa-griesbach-465407

What really happened on Easter Island?

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-04/f-wrh040716.php

Ancient Southwest marked by repeated periods of boom and bust

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-04/wsu-asm032916.php

*Queen’s University Microbiologists Unmask the Hannibal Route Enigma*

http://www.qub.ac.uk/home/ceao/News/Title,631613,en.html

Ancient Assyrians buried their dead with turtles

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/ancient-assyrians-buried-their-dead-turtles

*Archaeology*

Rare copy of Giotto fresco discovered in ruins of Transylvanian church

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/culture/2016/02/28/entertainment-news/rare-copy-giotto-fresco-discovered-ruins-transylvanian-church/#.Vwqv6OTD_an

Lone bullet backs up Lawrence of Arabia's story

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/04/05/lone-bullet-backs-up-lawrence-arabia3s-story.html

Iraq’s Artifacts of Exile

http://lobelog.com/iraqs-artifacts-of-exile/

Byzantine castle in NW Turkey left to its fate

http://archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.com/2016/04/byzantine-castle-in-nw-turkey-left-to.html#.VwrNiuTD_al

Islamic State nets up to $200 mln a year from antiquities –Russia

http://news.trust.org/item/20160406194154-8xzwq?platform=hootsuite

2000-year-old temple found underwater off Indian coast

http://www.digitaljournal.com/life/travel/2000-year-old-temple-found-underwater-off-indian-coast/article/461795?utm_content=buffer6b897&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Palmyra: Mines cleared from ancient Syrian city by Russians

http://ht.ly/10sHpv

Uncovering the Luna Colony, a Lost Remnant of Spanish Florida

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/uncovering-the-luna-colony-a-lost-remnant-of-spanish-florida

Pompeii seeking 'army of spies' in 'Deep Throat' operation to root out
Mafia crime and corruption

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/03/25/pompeii-seeking-army-of-spies-in-deep-throat-operation-to-root-o/

Florida Frontiers: The story of the Apalachee

http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2016/04/04/florida-frontiers-story-apalachee/82609778/

Mummies in the Americas Belong to a Vanished Civilization
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/04/04/14572/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/04/04/14572/#.VwO_T2dOUdW

Chinese villagers loot UNESCO World Heritage site while it's being cleaned

http://ht.ly/10jiWF

*Italy committed to safeguard humankind’s heritage, one artifact at a time*

http://www.examiner.com/article/italy-committed-to-safeguard-humankind-s-heritage-one-artifact-at-a-time

Saint's Bones Unearthed in ISIS-Destroyed Monastery

http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/saints-bones-unearthed-in-isis-destroyed-monastery-160406.htm

New discoveries into how an ancient civilization conserved water

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2016-04/uoc-ndi040816.php

Inside America’s Auschwitz

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/inside-americas-auschwitz-180958647/

Yucatan archaeology races to keep up with development

http://www.salon.com/2016/04/05/yucatan_archaeology_races_to_keep_up_with_development/

Archaeologists Survey Damage from Cyclone Winston in Fiji

http://popular-archaeology.com/issue/spring-2016/article/archaeologists-survey-damage-from-cyclone-winston-in-fiji

Smashed skulls suggest large European battle 3,200 years ago - and a more
advanced society

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/dig-reveals-an-event-so-violent-that-its-participants-must-have-been-civilized/2016/03/31/64cc6968-f6ba-11e5-9804-537defcc3cf6_story.html

*Egyptology*

Nefertiti’s Final Resting Place Continues to Polarize, Captivate
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/04/01/nefertiti-tomb-egyptology-king-tut/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/d-brief/2016/04/01/nefertiti-tomb-egyptology-king-tut/#.VwrLnuTD_am

Egypt’s 'Indiana Jones' says new theory on King Tut’s tomb is wrong
http://ht.ly/10hXjO

3,400-Year-Old Necropolis Found in Egypt

http://news.discovery.com/history/archaeology/3400-year-old-necropolis-found-in-egypt-160330.htm?utm_content=buffer73eaf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Star of David found engraved into an ancient Temple arouses bustle in Egypt

http://www.jpost.com/Middle-East/Star-of-David-found-engraved-into-an-ancient-Temple-arouses-bustle-in-Egypt-450074

*General Science*

Nothing to report

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Meet The 'Rocket Girls,' The Women Who Charted The Course To Space

http://www.npr.org/2016/04/05/473099967/meet-the-rocket-girls-the-women-who-charted-the-course-to-space

Nigeria plans to send an astronaut to space by 2030

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/04/06/africa/nigeria-nasrda-space-astronaut/index.html?sr=cnnifb

NASA: Exoplanet-finding Kepler spacecraft in trouble

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/space/go-for-launch/os-nasa-kepler-spacecraft-in-trouble-20160409-story.html

SETI looks at red dwarf stars in its search for ancient aliens

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2082988-seti-looks-at-red-dwarf-stars-in-its-search-for-ancient-aliens/?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2016-GLOBAL-hoot

Mysterious Gravitational Tug on Orbiter May Help Find Planet Nine

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/mysterious-gravitational-tug-on-orbiter-may-help-find-planet-nine/

The UN starts toward new control over the world's oceans

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2016/04/08/exclusive-un-starts-toward-new-control-over-worlds-oceans.html?intcmp=hplnws

Physicists discover flaws in superconductor theory

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-physicists-flaws-superconductor-theory.html

SpaceX launches cargo ship to orbit, sticks ocean landing

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/falcon-9-boosts-cargo-ship-to-orbit-sticks-ocean-landing/

SpaceX delivers world's first inflatable room for astronauts

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-spacex-world-inflatable-room-astronauts.html

Supernovae showered Earth with radioactive debris

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-supernovae-showered-earth-radioactive-debris.html

Ancient Mars bombardment likely enhanced life-supporting habitat

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-ancient-mars-bombardment-life-supporting-habitat.html

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

NASA Is Facing a Climate Change Countdown

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/05/science/nasa-is-facing-a-climate-change-countdown.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&_r=0

NASA: Global warming is now changing how Earth wobbles

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-nasa-global-earth.html

Combining gasification with fuel-cell technology could boost efficiency of
coal-powered plants

http://phys.org/news/2016-04-combining-gasification-fuel-cell-technology-boost.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

On-Demand Drug Production Is on the Horizon

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/on-demand-drug-production-is-on-the-horizon/

Wild tiger population rising for first time in 100 years

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/worlds-wild-tiger-population-rising-for-first-time-in-100-years/

Penguin Watch: Public asked to aid Antarctic research

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35981212

'Mystery voyage' of Scottish islands' red deer

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-35970195

Chinese Researchers Experiment with Making HIV-Proof Embryos

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/601235/chinese-researchers-experiment-with-making-hiv-proof-embryos/#/set/id/601233/

*Other*

Mysterious Creature Spotted In London's River Thames

http://www.cbsnews.com/live/video/mysterious-creature-spotted-in-londons-river-thames/?ftag=CNM15cf32c

Additional Informational

*Star Trek Axanar: *http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar
   - Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar