[Jawlist] Weekly Science Report 6-17-16

Steve Detwiler steveorange2011 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 09:01:49 PDT 2016

*Weekly Science Report*

*June 17, 2016*

*“If we start now and make the effort, we can make the world a more
peaceful place. We have to try. The human population is growing and climate
change is having its effect. Violence breaks out because our destructive
emotions run out of control. Human rights violations, for example, are
related to anger and a lack of respect. We can counter these tendencies by
cultivating warm-heartedness and concern for others.”*

Dalai Lama

Introduction

Steve Detwiler created this publication with the support of Graham Hancock
and John Anthony West to share news and information on various disciplines
to include but not limited to paleontology, space sciences, genetics and
archaeology.  His goal behind sharing this publication has always been very
simple, by sharing knowledge we can make our world a better place.  This
publication is Mr. Detwiler’s contribution to bring people together and
share ideas and discoveries with his fellow humans.

I hope you enjoy this publication and that the content challenges and
inspires you!

Steve Detwiler

News Articles   *Paleontology, Evolution and Prehistoric Studies*

Mammals began their takeover long before the death of the dinosaurs

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-mammals-began-takeover-death-dinosaurs.html

Ice age bison fossils shed light on early human migrations in North America

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-ice-age-bison-fossils-early.html

Conflicting theories of Mungo Man debunked: Research proves Aboriginal
Australians were first inhabitants
http://phys.org/news/2016-06-conflicting-theories-mungo-debunked-aboriginal.html

Sinkhole discovery suggests humans were in Florida 14,500 years ago

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/may/14/archaeology-florida-sinkhole-ancient-humans-mastodon-knife-bones-bering-strait?utm_content=bufferdb75c&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

When Neanderthals Replaced Us

http://discovermagazine.com/2016/june/15-when-neanderthals-replaced-us

Rediscovered: 5,000-year-old figurine from Skara Brae

http://www.orcadian.co.uk/2016/06/rediscovered-5000-year-old-human-figurine-skara-brae/

France unearths bones from 6,000-yr-old Neolithic massacre

https://www.yahoo.com/news/france-unearths-bones-6-000-yr-old-neolithic-154411468.html

How did the first people migrate to the Americas? Bison fossils could help
settle the debate

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/07/how-did-the-first-people-migrate-to-the-americas-bison-fossils-could-help-settle-the-debate/

This is how the 'Hobbits' of Indonesia became so small

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/09/asia/indonesia-flores-hobbits-trnd/index.html?sr=fbCNN060916indonesia-flores-hobbits-trnd0548AMStoryLink&linkId=25364657

*History*

Rumi film will challenge Muslim stereotypes, says Gladiator writer

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/06/jalaluddin-al-rumi-film-muslim-stereotypes-gladiator-david-franzoni

Watch what happens when Muslims and Trump supporters get invited to the
same dinner party

http://fusion.net/story/310655/san-bernardino-muslims-meet-trump-supporters/

The German Parliament still refuses to recognize one of its own ‘genocides’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/06/09/the-german-parliament-still-refuses-to-recognize-one-of-its-own-genocides/?tid=sm_fb

Flight 93 National Memorial uses nature to heal

http://newsinteractive.post-gazette.com/usparks/flight-93-national-memorial-uses-nature-to-heal/

Amazing photos capture 1910 Great Flood of Paris v 2016

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/07/amazing-photos-capture-1910-great-flood-of-paris-v-2016/?cid=sf28154507+sf28154507

India and Nepal in Not-Very-Enlightened Spat Over Buddha’s Childhood Home

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/02/world/asia/nepal-india-buddha-kapilavastu.html?WT.mc_id=2016-KWP-AUD_DEV&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&kwp_0=162752&kwp_4=672563&kwp_1=343717

The Truth About the Wounded Knee Massacre

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2016/01/01/truth-about-wounded-knee-massacre-162923

Former Auschwitz guard sentenced to five years in prison

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/17/former-auschwitz-guard-sentenced-to-five-years-in-prison/

The Unbelievable Tale of Jesus’s Wife

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/07/the-unbelievable-tale-of-jesus-wife/485573/?utm_source=hpfb

Bhutan princess seeks to preserve kingdom’s cultural heritage

http://www.ejinsight.com/20160603-bhutan-princess-seeks-to-preserve-kingdom-s-cultural-heritage/

*Archaeology*

Restoration work starts on Jesus's tomb

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/restoration-work-starts-on-jesuss-tomb/ar-BBtWFop?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=SL5FDHP

After almost half a century, thousands of personal items of the victims of
Auschwitz, are returning to the Memorial

http://auschwitz.org/en/museum/news/after-almost-half-a-century-thousands-of-personal-items-of-the-victims-of-auschwitz-are-returning-to-the-memorial,1203.html

With New Book, Quest to Recover Stolen Battambang Statues Begins

https://www.cambodiadaily.com/news/with-new-book-quest-to-recover-stolen-bbang-statues-begins-113643/

The Sordid History of Antiquities Collectors

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/06/marble-mad-and-very-extravagant/485666/

Researchers map 6,000 years of urban settlements

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-years-urban-settlements.html

Neolithic tomb reveals community stayed together, even in death

http://www.heritagedaily.com/2016/01/neolithic-tomb-reveals-community-stayed-together-even-in-death/109309?utm_content=bufferc18dd&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Safeguarding our cultural heritage

http://www.spainculture.us/city/washington-dc/safeguarding-our-cultural-heritage/?platform=hootsuite

Original Stonehenge was dismantled in Wales and moved to Wiltshire,
archaeologists believe

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2016/06/05/original-stonehenge-was-dismantled-in-wales-and-moved-to-wiltshi/

Saving Palmyra: A Discussion with Yale's Cultural Heritage Expert Stefan
Simon

http://www.archdaily.com/786191/saving-palmyra-a-discussion-with-yales-cultural-heritage-expert-stefan-simon

Islamic State Blows Up 2,500-Year-Old Iraqi Temple, Threatens Egyptian
Pyramids Next

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2016/06/09/islamic-state-blows-up-2500-year-old-iraqi-temple/

Israeli archaeologists rush to dig at Cave of Skulls before looters take
everything

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/israeli-archaeologists-rush-to-dig-at-cave-of-skulls-before-looters-take-everything/2016/06/08/7f0e0e6a-281c-11e6-8329-6104954928d2_story.html?platform=hootsuite

UNESCO Director-General addresses the Europe Lecture 2016 on heritage
protection as a security issue

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/about-us/who-we-are/director-general/singleview-dg/news/unesco_director_general_addresses_the_europe_lecture_2016_on#.V2AKf2dOUdV

Smithsonian Intends To Create Permanent Exhibition Space in London With the
Victoria and Albert Museum

http://newsdesk.si.edu/releases/smithsonian-intends-create-permanent-exhibition-space-london-victoria-and-albert-museum

The world’s oldest computer is still revealing its secrets

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/14/the-worlds-oldest-computer-is-still-revealing-its-secrets/?tid=sm_fb

Ruins found at Beijing’s Forbidden City may be part of lost Ming palace

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/1973821/ruins-found-beijings-forbidden-city-may-be-part-lost-ming-palace?utm_source&utm_medium&utm_campaign=SCMPSocialNewsfeed

Archaeologist Claims He's Found Ancient Greek Kings' Throne

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/archaeologist-claims-found-ancient-greek-kings-throne-39848544?yptr=yahoo

Miners find 500-year-old shipwreck filled with gold coins in Namibian desert

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/miners-find-500-year-old-shipwreck-filled-with-gold-coins-in-namibian-desert-a7072221.html

Italy helping Bosnia's museum become national restoration center

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-bosnia-museum-idUSKCN0YT1J0?platform=hootsuite

A sea of change on 50th anniversary of preservation act

http://realestate.heraldtribune.com/2016/05/29/a-sea-of-change-on-50th-anniversary-of-preservation-act/

FBI's Art Crime Team Recovers Thousands of Missing Pieces of Art, Artifacts

http://ht.ly/wt6e300VrX3

Architect Sinan’s waterway discovered in excavations

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/architect-sinans-waterway-discovered-in-excavations-.aspx?pageID=238&nID=99803&NewsCatID=375

Penn Museum’s Artifact Lab gives close-up view of ancient objects

https://penncurrent.upenn.edu/features/penn-museum-s-artifact-lab-gives-close-up-view-of-ancient-objects

A Massive, Ancient Platform Discovered in Petra Has Been ‘Hidden in Plain
Sight’

https://www.yahoo.com/news/massive-ancient-platform-discovered-petra-181845857.html

Inside the UNESCO conference to save Syria’s heritage

https://www.apollo-magazine.com/inside-the-unesco-conference-to-save-syrias-heritage/?platform=hootsuite

BLM wants to pay people who help find looters, vandals

http://www.sltrib.com/home/3859532-155/blm-announces-2500-reward-targeting-looters

How low-profile expats helped India bring back 200 ancient artifacts

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-how-low-profile-expats-helped-india-bring-back-200-ancient-artifacts-2221098

Could Long-Lost Amber Room Be Stashed in a Nazi Bunker in Poland?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/11/world/what-in-the-world/could-long-lost-amber-room-be-stashed-under-a-nazi-bunker-in-poland.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur&smvar=witw2&_r=1

Painting 'wrecked beyond repair' to be shown again after intensive
restoration

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jun/06/sebastiano-del-piombo-masterpiece-restored-fitzwilliam-museum-cambridge

Restoration work gets under way at quake-damaged Kumamoto Castle

http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/AJ201606080067.html

Monumental Ancient Naval Bases Discovered in Athens' Piraeus Harbor

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/archaeology/1.723784

*Egyptology*

Copying the Kings: Preserving Egypt’s Heritage for Generations to Come

http://egyptianstreets.com/2016/05/22/copying-the-kings-preserving-egypts-heritage-for-generations-to-come/

Building for Egypt's First Female Pharaoh Discovered

http://www.livescience.com/54476-building-for-queen-hatshepsut-discovered.html?utm_content=buffer072e7&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin.com&utm_campaign=buffer#sthash.AtcXPgz4.dpuf

*General Science*

Human 'drone taxi' to be tested in Nevada

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36478614?ocid=socialflow_facebook&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=facebook

A Solar Powered “Forever Drone” May Be Replacing Our Satellites

http://futurism.com/this-new-high-altitude-forever-drone-may-replace-satellites/

Olli, a 3D printed, self-driving minibus, to hit the road in US

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-olli-3d-self-driving-minibus-road.html

*Physics, Earth and Space Sciences*

Prototype gravitational wave spacecraft sets new free fall record

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-prototype-gravitational-spacecraft-free-fall.html

Astronauts Enter World's First Inflatable Space Habitat

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/astronauts-enter-worlds-inflatable-space-lodge-39641012?yptr=yahoo

Man presumed dead after falling into Yellowstone hot spring

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/07/travel/yellowstone-geyser-man-falls-trnd/index.html?sr=fbCNN060816yellowstone-geyser-man-falls-trnd0401AMStoryLink&linkId=25324450

Universe's first life might have been born on carbon planets

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-universe-life-born-carbon-planets.html

NASA cover up? Respected astronomer claims second sun exists

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/06/07/nasa-cover-up-respected-astronomer-claims-second-sun-exists/21390941/?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00001357

See All The Satellites And Space Junk Circling Earth In Real-Time

http://www.popsci.com/now-you-can-see-all-space-junk-floating-around-earth-real-time?con=TrueAnthem&dom=fb&src=SOC

*Elon Musk provides new details on his “mind blowing” mission to Mars*

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2016/06/10/elon-musk-provides-new-details-on-his-mind-blowing-mission-to-mars/?tid=sm_fb

Life's first handshake: Chiral molecule detected in interstellar space

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-life-handshake-chiral-molecule-interstellar.html

Unknown alien rock found in Swedish quarry

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-unknown-alien-swedish-quarry.html

These Experiments Are Building the Case to Terraform Mars
<http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2016/06/14/terraform-mars-experiments/>

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/crux/2016/06/14/terraform-mars-experiments/#.V2GQ02dOUdV

Hate your job? NASA wants you to work on Mars

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/design/nasa-mars-posters/index.html?sr=fbCNN061616nasa-mars-posters0749AMStoryGalLink&linkId=25596819

Small asteroid discovered orbiting Earth

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/16/us/nasa-asteroid-circles-earth/index.html?sr=fbCNN061616nasa-asteroid-circles-earth0600PMStoryGalLink&linkId=25616422

NASA just set a fire in space — on purpose

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2016/06/15/nasa-just-set-a-fire-in-space-on-purpose/

NASA spacecraft barreling toward Jupiter for July 4 meetup

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nasa-spacecraft-barreling-toward-jupiter-july-4-meetup-181546078.html

Light Pollution Hides Milky Way From 80 Percent Of North Americans, Atlas
Shows

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/10/481545778/light-pollution-hides-milky-way-from-80-percent-of-north-americans-atlas-shows?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160610

Can We Turn Asteroids into Spaceships?

http://www.seeker.com/can-we-turn-asteroids-into-spaceships-1851600014.html

Are We All Martians?

http://discovermagazine.com/2014/june/9-are-we-all-martians

*Environment, Climate Change and Alternative Energy Sources*

Bionic Leaf Is 10 Times Better At Photosynthesis Than Real Plants

http://www.popsci.com/scientists-debut-system-making-fuel-through-more-efficient-photosynthesis?src=SOC&dom=fb

Second Yellowstone visitor injured in bison encounter

http://fox4kc.com/2015/06/02/second-yellowstone-visitor-injured-in-bison-encounter/

Nearly a Quarter of China Could Be Forest by 2020

http://www.seeker.com/forests-to-cover-nearly-25-of-china-by-2020-1843957373.html

This Iceland plant just turned carbon dioxide into solid rock — and they
did it super fast

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2016/06/09/scientists-in-iceland-have-a-solution-to-our-carbon-dioxide-problem-turn-it-into-stone/?tid=sm_fb

The amazing school where grandmothers go to learn to save the world.

https://www.upworthy.com/the-amazing-school-where-grandmothers-go-to-learn-to-save-the-world?c=ule1

Norway commits to zero deforestation--the 1st country to do so

https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/content/norway-trees-no-deforestation-environment-climate/

The Ex-Con Inventor Disrupting Underwater Energy

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ex-con-inventor-disrupting-underwater-090204694.html

*Biological, Genetics and Medical Sciences*

‘Human-on-a-chip’ could replace animal testing

https://www.llnl.gov/news/%E2%80%98human-chip%E2%80%99-could-replace-animal-testing

Second layer of information in DNA confirmed

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-layer-dna.html

Wolf euthanized after biting child at zoo

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/27/zoo-wolf-euthanized-biting-child/28042207/

This Aquarium Is Moving All Its Dolphins To A Seaside Sanctuary

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/national-aquarium-dolphins-sanctuary_us_57605046e4b0e4fe5143ee93
?

National Aquarium Announces Plans For North America's First Dolphin
Sanctuary

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/06/15/482143974/national-aquarium-announces-plans-for-north-americas-first-dolphin-sanctuary?sc=tw

This man lived — even played basketball — without a human heart for 555
days before receiving a transplant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/10/this-man-lived-even-played-basketball-without-a-human-heart-for-555-days-before-receiving-a-transplant/?tid=sm_fb

‘People said I was mad’: Why I chose extreme treatment for my MS

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2093349-people-said-i-was-mad-why-i-chose-extreme-treatment-for-my-ms/?utm_source=NSNS&utm_medium=SOC&utm_campaign=hoot&cmpid=SOC%7CNSNS%7C2016-GLOBAL-hoot

*Other*

A community for those who like to be alone, grown out of a blockbuster TED
Talk

http://blog.ted.com/a-community-for-those-who-like-to-be-alone/?utm_campaign=social&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_content=talk&utm_term=social-science

Hurting for cash, U.S. National Park Service turns to companies

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hurting-cash-u-national-park-100000069.html

Additional Informational

MIT Commencement Speaker Matt Damon- Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj-cK_KfjsI&feature=youtu.be

TED Talk, Is the house of history built on foundations of sand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyfE3IvDWR8

People Need to Know the Ocean is in Trouble
<http://unfoundationblog.org/people-need-to-know-the-ocean-is-in-trouble/>

http://unfoundationblog.org/people-need-to-know-the-ocean-is-in-trouble/

Star Trek Axanar: http://www.startrekaxanar.com/

Axanar is a ground breaking independent film that proves the idea that a
studio doesn’t need to spend millions of dollars to produce a feature
quality production.  Axanar will be the first non-CBS/Paramount produced
Star Trek to look and feel like a true Star Trek movie.

   - Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekAxanar
   - Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/startrekaxanar